• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Whats makes a soul mate?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 scubagirl

scubagirl

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:01 PM

Okay, you think you met your soul mate. But how do you know if he/she is the one? Is there really such a thing? Do you know anyone who says they have met theirs? Describe what you would consider your soul mate?
If you can't find the bright side...polish the dull side.

#2 Basslet

Basslet

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:24 PM

If he has a pulse.

#3 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:35 PM

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif ent]

I'm sorry, that was just funny. I don't care who you are, that was funny.

On a serious note, I have my soul mate. Donna is my partner in life, she shares all of the fun, all of the heartaches. We don't always agree, but we always agree that whatever we disaggree about is never too important to keep us upset. I don't know if I can give you a definition, we fit.

Edited by Dennis, 12 February 2007 - 01:38 PM.

DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#4 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:47 PM

If he has a pulse.

Damn, Ellen, you sure have a lot of soul mates! And reasonable expectations to boot.
Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

#5 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:45 PM

Don't believe in the concept. However, I do believe there are some very special people out there that we each connect with in a more meaningful way than with most others. I just don't believe there is only one such person out there for each of us (if this were true, I'd have a very bleak future... nothing but meaningless sex and no more true love).

Edited by drbill, 12 February 2007 - 03:46 PM.

#6 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:59 PM

I just don't believe there is only one such person out there for each of us (if this were true, I'd have a very bleak future... nothing but meaningless sex and no more true love).

Sparky wants to know what your point is.

PlatypusMan

#7 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:22 PM

Don't believe in the concept. However, I do believe there are some very special people out there that we each connect with in a more meaningful way than with most others. I just don't believe there is only one such person out there for each of us (if this were true, I'd have a very bleak future... nothing but meaningless sex and no more true love).

I don't believe in only one person for each of us. I think this message was put out there by women and men who met their best friend in high school and then married them, plus lived happily ever after.

If that had happened to me, I'd probably believe in "one soul mate" too. Honestly, I really believe that soulmate = best friend when that best friend is someone you are married to or have a significant relationship with. And I've had 2 true soulmates in my life by that theory

#8 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:56 PM

I don't buy into the one right person idea of the soul mate either, but I do believe that they are likely several people of the desired gender of interest in the world that one is likely to relate to better than all others, hence they are all potential "soul mates". The dang problem has always been locating those elusive individuals :cheerleader: . I've never been lucky enough to be married to my best friend - quite the opposite, so I have no experience in one of finGrabber's concepts of soul mate at all. However, I am seeing someone now that is as close to a "soul mate" for me as I've ever found. The comfort level and trust between us is amazing and that is something I'd never experienced anywhere close to this degree previously....something that I had never expected to find at my advanced age!
Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

#9 jonjon

jonjon

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Cert Level:dive master
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:05 PM

I have never had meaningless sex---knew a woman once that liked to have MEAN sex!!

#10 zesach

zesach

Getting started

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Cert Level:OW + Enriched Air
  • Logged Dives:35

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:20 PM

In my limited experience, soul-mates are those with whom there is amazing flow and it's just easy.

I've met two women like that in my life, but at some point, even though flow/easiness is still there, there isn't the same level of passion/intensity, and things just fade...

I've been wondering lately whether that soul-mateness is sustainable in the long run?

#11 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:15 PM

In my limited experience, soul-mates are those with whom there is amazing flow and it's just easy.

I've met two women like that in my life, but at some point, even though flow/easiness is still there, there isn't the same level of passion/intensity, and things just fade...

I've been wondering lately whether that soul-mateness is sustainable in the long run?

I reckon it is but it takes work. I think due to the *Now!* and disposable mentality of society in general, some/most people just don't want to invest the time or put forth the effort in making a relationship succeed. We had a similar discussion here.

#12 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:16 PM

My point was that I probably already met her if there were such a thing, and she's no longer available.

With the billions of people on this planet (not to mention my friends on Xanadu), I can't imagine there wouldn't be at least a dozen or two women with whom I could have a "soulmate-like" relationship, maybe even hundreds of them. I just have to find out where they are, and neither Match.com nor Date.com has helped much.

#13 jeff

jeff

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Cert Level:ow plus
  • Logged Dives:120

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:54 PM

My ex-wife wrote some pretty remarkable things down on some business cards along these lines but my income seemed to burst that bubble...six months latter my income doubled and she is still an x.

ie. that I was perfect, and a soulmate, completed her.

******************************************religous content*************************************************************************
warning....warning......warning......warning......warning.......warning.......wa
rning.......warning.........warning........

I was in a christian class and heard about having a perfect mate picked out for me, but through the ages of time with sin all around and rampant that she ended up with someone else and now everybodys perfect mate is paired with the wrong person, some find a very close match, but nothing like it could be. This thought doesn't give alot of credit to GOD being in control, but its one of the things I remember from that class.
********************************************************************************

Edited by jeff, 12 February 2007 - 11:03 PM.

jeff aka nice-diver

#14 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:03 PM

Posted Image

"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#15 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:13 PM

Do any of us really have a soul mate? Sure we have people that we are more compatible with than others but at the end of the day, all relationships require work. If we sit back and expect fate to take care of us, no matter how compatible the person is with you, the relationship is bound to fail. Life is not a romance novel - initial attraction is key in the beginning but hard work and not fate and epiphanies are required to make it last.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users