• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Whats makes a soul mate?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16 jonjon

jonjon

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Cert Level:dive master
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:19 PM

hahaha Brinbay! That is good! Any of you that read a few of my post have probably noticed that I am not very serious, well I can be but why? I didn't get on this forum to get serious, fun! fun! and more fun! I also dive to have fun, I listen to some people talk about diving like they are preparing to take a mission to another planet. My soul mate first of all has to be laid back with a good sense of humor, when we get stuck in the mud--laugh and make mud pies together!! :cheerleader:

#17 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:19 AM

I agree with you Bill, that there isn't just one person out there that we are compatable with. I am just very blessed that I have found one that I believe I will spend the rest of my life with.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#18 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:20 AM

But how do you know if he/she is the one? Is there really such a thing?

There is such a thing. When you look into her eyes, every thought of every problem you have disappears. She can not only finish your sentences, she can finish your thoughts. Her smile melts you and makes your heart race. When she is in your arms, words are unnecessary. She can stand at the opposite side of the room with 50 other women in-between and you see only her.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#19 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:12 AM

There is such a thing. When you look into her eyes, every thought of every problem you have disappears. She can not only finish your sentences, she can finish your thoughts. Her smile melts you and makes your heart race. When she is in your arms, words are unnecessary. She can stand at the opposite side of the room with 50 other women in-between and you see only her.

Yes, but when I begin with "Let's go..." and she finishes with "... shopping," at least I know she's NOT my soulmate because "diving" is the word I was thinking of.

Edited by drbill, 13 February 2007 - 09:14 AM.

#20 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:37 AM

Yes, but when I begin with "Let's go..." and she finishes with "... shopping," at least I know she's NOT my soulmate because "diving" is the word I was thinking of.

Don't worry, Bill. There are lots of women that hate shopping... I trust dive shop shopping does not count!
Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

#21 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:30 AM

Don't worry, Bill. There are lots of women that hate shopping... I trust dive shop shopping does not count!

Not many here in So Cal.

Dive shop shopping is encouraged... especially around Valentine's Day! Some day I'll meet the woman of my dreams.. and she'll give me a good deco computer for Valentine's Day. I'll give her all the love I've got (and whatever she needs in dive gear).

#22 scubagirl

scubagirl

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:51 AM

My point was that I probably already met her if there were such a thing, and she's no longer available.

With the billions of people on this planet (not to mention my friends on Xanadu), I can't imagine there wouldn't be at least a dozen or two women with whom I could have a "soulmate-like" relationship, maybe even hundreds of them. I just have to find out where they are, and neither Match.com nor Date.com has helped much.

I found a good site, Plentyoffish.com...try that...its free!
If you can't find the bright side...polish the dull side.

#23 BeachBunny

BeachBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:Not enough but I am working on it!

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:06 AM

But how do you know if he/she is the one? Is there really such a thing?

Sometimes I wonder if the "soulmate" has telepathic powers. Having someone who knows your thoughts without ever voicing them should be unsettling, but when it is your "soulmate" it is comforting. Unless of course you were just lusting over Brad Pitt....
"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different" CoCo Chanel

beachbunny@singledivers.com

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
Ghandi

#24 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:13 AM

Sometimes I wonder if the "soulmate" has telepathic powers. Having someone who knows your thoughts without ever voicing them should be unsettling, but when it is your "soulmate" it is comforting. Unless of course you were just lusting over Brad Pitt....

Oh no danger of that... Brad and I were over once he started seeing Jennifer on the side. I gave him an ultimatum and he went with her. Well, we all know how THAT turned out don't we... I think he was jealous of my abs too... :ph34r:

Edited by shadragon, 13 February 2007 - 11:14 AM.

Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#25 Photographic Mercenary

Photographic Mercenary

People are starting to get to know me

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Cert Level:USCG Captain AOW, Been diving actively since 1978 in the mid atlantic and all over the world
  • Logged Dives:well over 500, the dives get numbers and ratings now

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:35 AM

When we met, I was a bouncer, and she was looking for a fight.
A match made in heaven.

It takes like minds.
Shared goals.
Confidence in each other.
Understanding when there is weakness.

"It's still the same old story, that fight for love and glory. A case of do or die."

We fought Sandinista Rebels, evaded Indonesian Pirates, and out foxed Mexican Bandits.
Cancer pissed us off.
She waged a great battle for 100 days, but lost the war.

I still wear our wedding rings, her ring is closest to my heart.
We are married.
2-21-07 is our 26th wedding anniversary.

You truely know you met your soul mate when you lose them.

norm

Norman J. McCullough

Photographic Mercenary,

Crisis Management,

Defender of Dumb Animals, & Damsels in Distress,

Licensed  Fool.

#26 jholley309

jholley309

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:20-ish

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:56 PM

I reckon it is but it takes work. I think due to the *Now!* and disposable mentality of society in general, some/most people just don't want to invest the time or put forth the effort in making a relationship succeed. We had a similar discussion here.

:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Caetlonn hit it right on the head. I personally feel like there would be much less discussion about "soulmates" or "true love" if there weren't such a huge tendency in society to expect relationships to just work on their own. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but they don't. Not for long, anyway.

Now, I truly do believe in soulmates. However, my definition is a tad different than what most people expect. For me, soulmates aren't born: they're made. A soulmate is someone who is willing to choose to be with you, not because of passion or because you're "new", but because they really and truly want to be with you and none other. It's easy to say "I want to be with X" when the relationship is still new and the passions are running hot. It's not so easy to say the same thing a year later after waking up next to each other, hair disheveled, morning breath, stubbly chin, and cold feet for a period of time. Or when you're angry at the other. Or when you're disappointed by the other. A soulmate is someone you choose to be with when you really don't feel like being with anyone at all, simply because you know that your life is better with them in it than without.

To quote one of my favorite lyricists and percussionists:

I don't believe in Destiny or the guiding hand of Fate.
I don't believe in forever, or Love as a mystical state.
I don't believe in the stars or the planets, or angels watching up above.
But I believe there's a ghost of a chance to find someone to love...and make it last.
(excerpt from Ghost Of A Chance by Rush)

Ya know, them Canadians seem to make a lot of good points... :cheerleader:

Cheers!

Jim
Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is what you do in spite of your fear.

Every man has fear. Any man who has no fear belongs in an institution. Or in Special Forces.

#27 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:24 PM

Well, thanks, Jim! Coming from you, it's high praise indeed! :cheerleader:

Your definition is great, BTW. :cheerleader:

#28 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:59 AM

Ya know, them Canadians seem to make a lot of good points... :cool1:

Yes. Yes we do...
:cheerleader:

#29 bbdrag0n

bbdrag0n

Getting started

• Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:17 PM

Well, if any cares.... I do believe that everyone has a sole mate. At least for me, I haven't found one yet. I'm glad I found this site. Everyone I meet lately is afraid of water... that's kind of a deal breaker in my eyes. I've always thought, well, they don't need to be a diver, but should be able to swim. :P or at least not sink like a weight belt. tee hee.

pamela :)

Edited by bbdrag0n, 15 March 2007 - 11:17 PM.

#30 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:46 AM

Wouldn't it suck if souls and soul mates existed. Just think, somewhere on the planet 1 perfect match for you existed. You know your life won't be totally complete until you find this one person among the 2.5 billion choices (5 billion if you are bi) Even if you could meet a potential match every minute it could take over 4700 years. So if soul mates do exists - the odds of someone finding theirs is so staggeringly small that it's best not to think about it. This also means that the odd of someone you think is your soul mate, actually being your soul mate is just as amazingly small so it's probably just self delusion.

. . . and I wonder why Hallmark won't hire me. :)
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users