• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Need Buddies for Florida Springs

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#46 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 07:58 PM

I think an annual pass is a great idea. I will be getting a list of state parks with diving locations. A map would be nice too since we spent a lot of time driving around looking for stuff...yep...gotta get a map. What kind of "stuff" is going on at Ginnie? That seemed like a pretty safe location to me. I've been there once and Friday night we went there to check it out and it was so pretty. Our intention was to possibly do two locations on Saturday, or maybe another on Sunday morning before we came back, but we were getting pretty exhausted by Saturday night and really just didn't want to pay another $40 for a couple of hours to dive.

There is a map produced of all the diveable florida springs. I don't have it in front of me right now, but there are copies of it at Ginnie Springs for sale, and some of the other local shops. It's quite detailed and easy to use. I highly recommend it.

As for things going on at Ginnie... well this weekend, I dealt with snorklers in both Ginnie Ballroom as well as Devil's eye. I was kicked repeatedly by open water divers while helping a cavern class in Ginnie ballroom. The person who kicked me never new they were htting me. Were I vindictive, I would have taken his mask. Had NO BUSINESS in there.

I took a friend into the water at Little Devil to work on some weighting in her new BP/W. While there, some moron with a gasoline powered ride-on surface scooter was running up and down the run. We swam down the run to the Eye. He buzzed past twice. The run is only 4ft deep. Down in the eye, a couple of OW divers were taking pictures inside the mouth of the cavern. I was about to ascend with her, when I saw one motion to the other to go further in. I asked her if she was ok, then hovered in front of the opening to make sure they didn't kill themselves. While watching them a snorkler came down, swam INTO the cavern, disappeared from view, turned around and swam out. This was a kid of maybe 15 or 16. Darwin candidate. On the swim back, I counted the beer bottles dropped on the bottom.

While suiting up, a guy on a quad bike came SCREAMING down the dirt road with some cute girl on the back. He as doing at least double, and perhaps triple the posted speed. I saw the sheriff show up shortly thereafter. I watched as trucks with drunk college kids riding 10-15 to a truck carried tubes back and forth, and at one point of them lost their balance and fell out of the bed of the truck. He wasn't hurt.

Honestly, Ginnie is a place I avoid on weekends. It was great when I dove it Friday morning. But the rest of the time, you can have it.

#47 Stephi

Stephi

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:26

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:12 PM

OMG! I'm glad I didn't go then. It was kind of like that at Troy around noon which is why we left around 1:00. Absolutely beautiful in the morning though. The kids started piling in and were jumping off the cliffs into the water with divers just below the surface. The Park Ranger had to come tell them to stop and to watch for the divers. Then there was an OW class trying to descend by clawing into the sides of the walls, and you know that is just silt. What a mess! I guess on these weekend trips, I'm just going to have to get there when the park opens and plan on leaving around noon. We thought hard about going to Ginnie Saturday after we left Troy, but had a feeling it would be even more crowded there. I'll be sure and let you know next time we come down and maybe we can get together in the morning at one of these places. See ya!

Edit: Forgot to mention that in my OW class at Blue Grotto, I got kicked in the head several times, which is why is was so important to me to practice my mask removal and replacement. I think I got it down pretty good this weekend but will keep practicing. My next trip, I will practice removing and replacing while hovering or moving--not sitting on the platform. Then I will feel really good about that. I need to work on my descending more because since I had not been as deep as Troy, I realize I need to add more air than I was used to as I get deeper in order to keep from hitting bottom. But my bouyancy control was much better this weekend. Can't wait to do it again!

Edited by Stephi, 15 April 2007 - 08:19 PM.

#48 bottomtime

bottomtime

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Cert Level: padi safe diver-nitrox -cave---prefer spearfishing
  • Logged Dives:3-400-?

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:18 PM

OMG! I'm glad I didn't go then. It was kind of like that at Troy around noon which is why we left around 1:00. Absolutely beautiful in the morning though. The kids started piling in and were jumping off the cliffs into the water with divers just below the surface. The Park Ranger had to come tell them to stop and to watch for the divers. Then there was an OW class trying to descend by clawing into the sides of the walls, and you know that is just silt. What a mess! I guess on these weekend trips, I'm just going to have to get there when the park opens and plan on leaving around noon. We thought hard about going to Ginnie Saturday after we left Troy, but had a feeling it would be even more crowded there. I'll be sure and let you know next time we come down and maybe we can get together in the morning at one of these places. See ya!

Edit: Forgot to mention that in my OW class at Blue Grotto, I got kicked in the head several times, which is why is was so important to me to practice my mask removal and replacement. I think I got it down pretty good this weekend but will keep practicing. My next trip, I will practice removing and replacing while hovering or moving--not sitting on the platform. Then I will feel really good about that. I need to work on my descending more because since I had not been as deep as Troy, I realize I need to add more air than I was used to as I get deeper in order to keep from hitting bottom. But my bouyancy control was much better this weekend. Can't wait to do it again!

Hey all, guys n gals, as soon as I get a chance to break free of my do list I'd be happy to hook up at the springs for a dive, I need to check out a few things.... then maybe go poke my head in one of those holes again ....the state park pass is great get the family one and you can get 8 people in w/you for swimming or what not ....you can get 4 divers in on a family pass to the state park besides we are all cousins or related by marriage to the family of divenuts ...... the last time I went to Troy the ranger said you and your dive buddie don't look related ,,, but with marriages these days who knows... SHOULD of shot him there to end that gene pool.... but my buddie was from south america and we passed on that ..as you have to consider its Dixie county side of the river or maybe Gilchrist ....... all the same gene pool ... lol ... ps just kidding so I don't offend any one from Dixie or Gilchrist Co ....... also Ginnie has a annual pass ,,,they may or may not now....that if you dive there more than 8-10 time a year its worth the money ,,, I'm going to check on it the next time in the area or call out there ... the ginnie pass can get you in after hours for night dives w/little or no one in the springs , any day or time no hassle in the store .... just drive in and enjoy . I'm going to check it out to see if has changed since my last one David

Edited by bottomtime, 21 April 2007 - 10:47 PM.

#49 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:48 PM

Ginnie pass is $300. JB pass is $200. State pass is $40. State park family pass is $80.

Guess what I bought.

#50 bottomtime

bottomtime

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:50 PM

Ginnie pass is $300. JB pass is $200. State pass is $40. State park family pass is $80.

Guess what I bought.

not to sound silly but what is the JB pass :o

#51 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:59 AM

Sorry,

JB pass is an annual pass to Jackson Blue state park, located in Mariana, FL. It sits adjacent to a body of water known as Merrits Mill Pond. Nice park, beautiful cavern/cave. Further up the pond and accessible by boat only is another several popular caves such as Hole in the Wall, Shangri La, Twin Cave, Indian Washtub, etc.

It's a very popular place for cave diving.

#52 Stephi

Stephi

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:25 AM

Guess what I bought.

Ummmm...three passes? Can I be your sister, or mother, or something?

#53 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:35 PM

Guess what I bought.

Ummmm...three passes? Can I be your sister, or mother, or something?

Uhh, no. I bought the family pass, so me and my diving buddies can dive all over the state for $80. Best bargain I know of for diving.

#54 Stephi

Stephi

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:57 PM

If I didn't have to go there for my AOW, I wouldn't care to go back to Blue Grotto.

But you don't have to go there. Nobody is forcing you. There are plenty of other locations, instructors, and shops where you can make arrangements to complete your AOW training.

I don't want to be excluded from a charter dive because I'm not certified to go deeper.

Here's an alternative suggestion - why not get your AOW in the environment where you intend to do most of your diving? If you are more interested in ocean diving, then do your AOW in the ocean - that way, it will prepare you better for diving in that particular environment. If you are more interested in fresh water lakes or quarries, then get your AOW there. There are very few publicly accessible springs with OW areas that are deeper than what you are already certified to do, so additional OW training in the springs doesn't seem like it would gain you that much more experience than you already have. An AOW cert in a new area however, might open up some additional diving venues for you, as well as adding additional skills that you can use for diving in the springs.

I know you are just trying to get more experience and training, and I applaud you for that. And I freely admit that this issue is a personal "hot button" for me, both because of my own experience and training, and also because I see it so often. In fact, I have personally witnessed this type of behavior (instructors leading OW students and divers into an overhead) on almost every visit I have ever made to Blue Grotto. That doesn't make it OK, and it troubles me to see instructors and dive shops presenting this type of diving in such a cavalier way. They should be teaching their students to have a healthy respect for underwater caves, not "leading the charge" by conducting training dives in them.

Stephi, I know it's tough to go diving where you are, but I have some real concerns about the types of dives that you are being talked into doing. To be blunt, I think you have fallen in with a group of divers who have unsafe attitudes, and if I were you, I would seriously consider finding some new dive buddies. There are too many other folks out there who will show you a good dive without taking you places that are well beyond your current level of training and experience.

For whatever that is worth ...

Ok, ok...I'm not going to Blue Grotto to get my AOW. I've been there twice and I don't think it's that great and I don't think I will ever be interested in getting Cave-certified, so why pay all that money to go somewhere where I will be kicked in the head 15 times, in silty water, in a hole with a rock over my head? Besides, I started to feel really nervous about it when my original instructor was taken off the trip and I was going to be with a different instructor. At first I thought I would just reschedule, then I thought, "If I don't feel comfortable doing this with ANY instructor, I probably shouldn't be doing this at all." I realized this had nothing to do with the other instructor, but had everything to do with ME and the type of diving I want to do and what I want to pay for. I like Blue Grotto fine during the week when it's not crowded, but I don't like it on the weekends and I have no desire to go into this hole. So I talked to my LDS about this and asked if I could just get my money back, which I could, but then I asked them if they ever did deep-dives at any other location. Just so happens....they have a trip coming up to Boca Raton where I can get my AOW in the ocean, in beautiful, clear water, with no rock over my head! It wasn't that hard to pay for cause I already paid for this trip to the springs so I can apply that to the new trip. I am so excited about this! This will be my first ocean dive (other than snorkeling in Guam 25 years ago). I don't even know my instructor but I feel so much more comfortable doing it this way. Jim, your comment about getting certified in the type of environment I want to be diving in made sense. I'm so relieved. Thanks.

I plan on going to the South Carolina lakes this weekend where I really like to dive, and then in a couple of weeks, I'm off to the ocean! :respect:

#55 bottomtime

bottomtime

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:30 PM

If I didn't have to go there for my AOW, I wouldn't care to go back to Blue Grotto.

But you don't have to go there. Nobody is forcing you. There are plenty of other locations, instructors, and shops where you can make arrangements to complete your AOW training.

I don't want to be excluded from a charter dive because I'm not certified to go deeper.

Here's an alternative suggestion - why not get your AOW in the environment where you intend to do most of your diving? If you are more interested in ocean diving, then do your AOW in the ocean - that way, it will prepare you better for diving in that particular environment. If you are more interested in fresh water lakes or quarries, then get your AOW there. There are very few publicly accessible springs with OW areas that are deeper than what you are already certified to do, so additional OW training in the springs doesn't seem like it would gain you that much more experience than you already have. An AOW cert in a new area however, might open up some additional diving venues for you, as well as adding additional skills that you can use for diving in the springs.

I know you are just trying to get more experience and training, and I applaud you for that. And I freely admit that this issue is a personal "hot button" for me, both because of my own experience and training, and also because I see it so often. In fact, I have personally witnessed this type of behavior (instructors leading OW students and divers into an overhead) on almost every visit I have ever made to Blue Grotto. That doesn't make it OK, and it troubles me to see instructors and dive shops presenting this type of diving in such a cavalier way. They should be teaching their students to have a healthy respect for underwater caves, not "leading the charge" by conducting training dives in them.

Stephi, I know it's tough to go diving where you are, but I have some real concerns about the types of dives that you are being talked into doing. To be blunt, I think you have fallen in with a group of divers who have unsafe attitudes, and if I were you, I would seriously consider finding some new dive buddies. There are too many other folks out there who will show you a good dive without taking you places that are well beyond your current level of training and experience.

For whatever that is worth ...

Ok, ok...I'm not going to Blue Grotto to get my AOW. I've been there twice and I don't think it's that great and I don't think I will ever be interested in getting Cave-certified, so why pay all that money to go somewhere where I will be kicked in the head 15 times, in silty water, in a hole with a rock over my head? Besides, I started to feel really nervous about it when my original instructor was taken off the trip and I was going to be with a different instructor. At first I thought I would just reschedule, then I thought, "If I don't feel comfortable doing this with ANY instructor, I probably shouldn't be doing this at all." I realized this had nothing to do with the other instructor, but had everything to do with ME and the type of diving I want to do and what I want to pay for. I like Blue Grotto fine during the week when it's not crowded, but I don't like it on the weekends and I have no desire to go into this hole. So I talked to my LDS about this and asked if I could just get my money back, which I could, but then I asked them if they ever did deep-dives at any other location. Just so happens....they have a trip coming up to Boca Raton where I can get my AOW in the ocean, in beautiful, clear water, with no rock over my head! It wasn't that hard to pay for cause I already paid for this trip to the springs so I can apply that to the new trip. I am so excited about this! This will be my first ocean dive (other than snorkeling in Guam 25 years ago). I don't even know my instructor but I feel so much more comfortable doing it this way. Jim, your comment about getting certified in the type of environment I want to be diving in made sense. I'm so relieved. Thanks.

I plan on going to the South Carolina lakes this weekend where I really like to dive, and then in a couple of weeks, I'm off to the ocean! :P

good move you will enjoy the dives in that area ,,,, the springs are fun when the crowds are not there I was going to ginne 2-3 nights a week last year and the year before . we would get there 10-11pm dive till 3-4 am and am looking to start back up soon if you can get loose on a friday or week day give me a shout and I'll see if I can get away and hit a spring or some water some where I'm just looking to burn up some air soon David :respect:

#56 Stephi

Stephi

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:42 PM

good move you will enjoy the dives in that area ,,,, the springs are fun when the crowds are not there I was going to ginne 2-3 nights a week last year and the year before . we would get there 10-11pm dive till 3-4 am and am looking to start back up soon if you can get loose on a friday or week day give me a shout and I'll see if I can get away and hit a spring or some water some where I'm just looking to burn up some air soon David :respect:

I'll add you to my list of Florida Springs Buddies David. I still love to go down there, but if you are going to go on the weekend, I've learned you've got to be there early, otherwise; it's got to be during the week. They are so pretty!

#57 diveangel

diveangel

Getting started

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:Unsure

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:36 PM

hey stephi,

i hope that you are still checking for replies to your post.

i live in metairie, la (just outside of new orleans). i got my OW certification this april. this weekend and the next i'll be going to gulf shore, alabama and pensacola, florida for a couple of wreck dives. these are my first dives since my certification. once i have a few more dives under my belt, i plan on taking additional diving classes.

i'm looking for a buddy for weekend dive excursions. since i've discovered diving, i want to spend as much time as possible in the water.

#58 moonkite44

moonkite44

Getting started

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:28

Posted 19 May 2007 - 02:49 PM

hey stephi,

i live in metairie, la (just outside of new orleans). i got my OW certification this april. this weekend and the next i'll be going to gulf shore, alabama and pensacola, florida for a couple of wreck dives. these are my first dives since my certification. once i have a few more dives under my belt, i plan on taking additional diving classes.

i'm looking for a buddy for weekend dive excursions. since i've discovered diving, i want to spend as much time as possible in the water.

Dive Angel, If you're headed down to Florida, definitely let me know! I am booked to dive on a West Palm Beach charter next Sunday (day before Memorial Day) if you're interested. I definitely know how hard it is to find dive buddies, so do let me know if you in the Central Florida area, and I'll hit up a boat dive with you. (Or heck even a springs dive too, why not?)

#59 Stephi

Stephi

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:37 PM

hey stephi,

I'll add you to my list for the springs also diveangel. I also wanted to do the Mighty "O" and the Panama City jetties sometime. Ah...so many places...so little time. :twist:

#60 CobraJet

CobraJet

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:40+

Posted 07 June 2007 - 02:32 PM

Hi Stephi, Add me to your PCB Jetties list. I've snorkeled both sides of the jetties, and Shell Island many times before but would like to take tanks down there next time. According to the local dive shop, the water conditions are poor for this weekend (June 9-10) but maybe next weekend?
Tom
Parker, CO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users