• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Spiegel Grove What Happened

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#46 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:39 PM

I absolutely agree with you

I wonder also if this could also be the "underbuying" issue we talked about in the regs thread??

Is this a case of:

I want to do Tech diving but at a Rec Price so I'll leave all my Tech gear on the dock

I haven't looked up the operator so I don't know if this would have been an issue or not; maybe they do tech charters but I'm thinking now anyone who does diving on the Orisakany/Duane/Eagle/Spiegle Grove should have more than an AOW card in their pocket - and I'm not talking about these men in particular but the diving public in general

#47 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:43 PM

So what could the operator do hypothetically?

the bigger issue is that dive charters don't make as much money on tech trips; they make more money by filling more spots with rec trips

I think once the teck diving community grows more, we will see more and more divers being required to having higher training, that being Tech 1, TDI Deco Procedures, PADI DSAT, etc to dive these wrecks

#48 DiveScoop

DiveScoop

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:09 PM

If anyone is interested, DEMA (the dive trade association) issued this communication yesterday.

DEMA ADDRESSES RECENT DIVER DEATHS ON SPIEGEL GROVE ARTIFICAL REEF
Encourages All Persons To Acquire Training And Equipment Before Attempting Specialty Diving

DEMA is deeply saddened by the recent diver deaths on the former Spiegel Grove, an artificial reef sunk off the coast of Key Largo in 2002. This tragic incident is an unusual occurrence. Certified divers receive excellent training during their certification course from professional instructors, and diving has an admirable safety record. In order to prevent such incidents, DEMA strongly recommends that all certified divers receive additional advanced and specialty training and certification from qualified diving professionals if they choose to enter shipwrecks or any other special diving environment. Fortunately, this type of training is readily available through many professional dive centers in the US and worldwide.

Before being placed on the bottom of the ocean, the Spiegel Grove artificial reef was specially prepared so that divers could safely swim in the upper regions and at depths ranging to 60 feet. Beyond 60 feet divers must be specially trained, with 100 feet being the maximum recommended depth for sport divers trained at the advanced level. Penetration of the Spiegel Grove, especially in water deeper than 60 feet, requires special training and equipment.

The Diving Equipment and Marketing Association (DEMA) recommends that all persons who wish to dive in open water or in a special diving environment contact a local professional dive center and receive instruction from a professional diving instructor. Dive centers can be located by using the dealer locator on www.beadiver.com.

DEMA, the Diving Equipment & Marketing Association, is an international organization dedicated to the promotion and growth of the recreational scuba diving and snorkeling industry. For more information on DEMA, call 858-616-6408 or visit www.dema.org.

A very sad situation!

Scott
Dive Scoop

#49 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:13 PM

I don't understand your logic here. In the only instance where I have done a full on tech trip, it was to the oriskany. We bought the entire boat for a day at the operators price. This is common from what I have seen with tech trips or rebreather dive trips. Whereas a recreational diver will pay $75 for an offshore trip, we pay $150-$200.

We also load our own gear, do not need the divemaster, do not require the captain to do much other than put us on the boat in question. We provide runtimes generally to the minute so there is no guessing when we will be back on the surface. We bring our own oxygen so that the captain doesn't have to use his to help out other divers. Unless something goes horribly wrong, we don't need a hang tank.

I honstly do not want to see the tech community grow larger. It is not a growth industry. Quite frankly, i can't think of ANYTHING worse for technical diving than for the recreational agencies to try and "grow" the market.

the bigger issue is that dive charters don't make money on tech trips; they make more money by filling more spots with rec trips

I think once the teck diving community grows more, we will see more and more divers being required to having higher training, that being Tech 1, TDI Deco Procedures, PADI DSAT, etc to dive these wrecks

#50 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:18 PM

Ok,

how many 'tech' divers do they book vs 'rec' divers on any given boat?

#51 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:48 PM

Ok,

how many 'tech' divers do they book vs 'rec' divers on any given boat?

We were on a 6-pack that had 4 tech divers on it. We paid roughly double the recreational rate. This seems about standard.

#52 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:59 PM

You should understand there are divers who are not willing to pay extra to do a tech trip vs a rec trip but will try to dive a tech profile off a rec charter

#53 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 11:12 PM

You should understand there are divers who are not willing to pay extra to do a tech trip vs a rec trip but will try to dive a tech profile off a rec charter

There are people in life who try to slide by on everything. Nature of the beast. I prefer technical charters because I don't have to worry about fielding 100 crazy questions, and I don't have anyone "fooling" with my stuff.

If you can't afford technical diving, don't do it. I can't really afford it either, so I have to buy gear one month at a time. I'm getting into the toys that force me to buy half a year at a time now! that scooter next year is gonna be a BEAR! :D

#54 matts1w

matts1w

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:49 AM

I honstly do not want to see the tech community grow larger. It is not a growth industry. Quite frankly, i can't think of ANYTHING worse for technical diving than for the recreational agencies to try and "grow" the market.

But none the less tech divers continually bomb Internet boards full of recreational divers with their Kool-Aid. A little knowledge, no training, and a whole buch of "internet training" and "internet diving" can be rather dangerous, dont ya think? If you dont want it to grow dont promote it...

Example: "I have never taken fundies, but I dive a mostly DIR rig and blah blah blah...."

Translation: "I read a bunch on the internet and made some purchases from Halcyon and now I have an opinion."

It amazes me how those with their agenda have tunred this accident into another assault on the"agencies." Even when a diver who dies has the training to A) preform the dive or B) no excuses not to know better, the Internet tech community finds a way to blame it on the recreational divers, charters, and especially the alleged "institutionalized" culture of the rec agencies that some believe it safe to dive inside a cave or wreck. This is wrong- especially when discussing these three guys.

As long as there are people who want to dive inside of caves and wrecks we are going to read about their deaths. Some will be well trained...most will not. When I teach a class, be it ANY class, I stress over and over and over again how stupid, and I do mean stupid it is to dive not only with a celiing over one's head, but also to exceed one's training.

Even with the best training in the world, penetration is incredibly dangerous. Period. End of story. To tell people you have never seen face to face over the intenet that anything less is flat our wrong.

Edited by matts1w, 19 March 2007 - 06:44 AM.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, and totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW! -- What a Ride!"

#55 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,674 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:58 AM

You can throw all the training out the window if you are narced. I recall several people in this thread having similar experiences.

I also know that people will make adaptations to thier diving profile based upon buddy constraints and time/money spent to get someplace. In other words all the perfect 'theory' often quickly gets modified in the face of real world conditions.

Time and experience have a way of reassuring us that things will be ok. We've done them many times before and nothing ever happened. So we believe that nothing will happen this time.

I am sure that this time for these gentlemen was no exception.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#56 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:43 AM

Technical diving is the domain of the few, but I think some of it's tenets have a place in recreational diving, particularly when it comes to safety. Things like gas planning, checking over gear, practicing OOAs, and other things. I am not so sure that's promoting technical diving as much as it is promoting safety.

I hear you on the internet diving thing. You really do have to get out there and do the dives, and buying gear doesn't make you a diver. I'm not so sure about your swipes at DIR and Halcyon though, as they probably constitute the smallest segment of the technical gear market, and GUE is probably one of the smallest agencies around with less than 30 active instructors.

Regardless, I don't think I agree that people have made this accident a forum to discredit any agency or the charters. Quite clearly, the charter did what it could to prevent the tragedy, and no agency (or instructor has stepped forward to claim these gentleman. I have read some people saying they had the training, but I haven't actually seen anyone say WHAT training they actually had. Or from who.

I agree that as long as people dive inside of caves or wrecks, we will hear about them dying. Most often they will be people who are untrained or undertrained. Occasionally we will hear about those with proper training and current experience having died. Frankly, I can't see how that is different from Open Water diving. At least in that regard. I also agree that penetration diving can be more dangerous than open water diving. Though I think the hazards are different, and not necessarily less.

You are certainly welcome to the opinion that overhead diving is stupid. It's a common opinion. There are type of open-water diving I view in a similar vein, but I'll keep those thoughts to myself.

Thanks for sharing your feelings. And I am certainly glad we are in a venue where everyone's thoughts and feelings can be shared equally.

-P

But none the less tech divers continually bomb Internet boards full of recreational divers with their Kool-Aid. A little knowledge, no training, and a whole buch of "internet training" and "internet diving" can be rather dangerous, dont ya think? If you dont want it to grow dont promote it...

Example: "I have never taken fundies, but I dive a mostly DIR rig and blah blah blah...."

Translation: "I read a bunch on the internet and made some purchases from Halcyon and now I have an opinion."

It amazes me how those with their agenda have tunred this accident into another assault on the"agencies." Even when a diver who dies has the training to A) preform the dive or B) no excuses not to know better, the Internet tech community finds a way to blame it on the recreational divers, charters, and especially the alleged "institutionalized" culture of the rec agencies that some believe it safe to dive inside a cave or wreck. This is wrong- especially when discussing these three guys.

As long as there are people who want to dive inside of caves and wrecks we are going to read about their deaths. Some will be well trained...most will not. When I teach a class, be it ANY class, I stress over and over and over again how stupid, and I do mean stupid it is to dive not only with a celiing over one's head, but also to exceed one's training.

Even with the best training in the world, penetration is incredibly dangerous. Period. End of story. To tell people you have never seen face to face over the intenet that anything less is flat our wrong.

#57 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:10 AM

What I took away from this experience is to pay even closer attention to the instabuddy arrangements both before and during the dives. I also made a judgement error in not bringing my pony with me. I can absolutely see how these situations occur even when plans are formed.

(Pat on the back SG) If more resorts and dive ops rewarded conscientious behavior like in your case then perhaps more folks would use common sense. I have seen some folks take offense if I look at their SPG during a dive. Personally, I like and encourage it. I may miss something they don't. It is why you have a buddy in any event.

I just finished the first confined water dives as a DM candidate for an OW course in a 13 foot deep swimming pool. I started the day with an HP steel 120 @3500 PSI with AL 40 pony @ 3000 PSI on a side mount. One of my regular buddies gave me some good natured ribbing about carrying that in the pool, but that is normally what I carry, I am used to the weight, configuration and know where everything is. At the end of the dive day everyone else on the AL 80's was low on air and I still had 1400 PSI left in the 120 with the Pony untouched. One of my philosophies is it is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it...

Edited by shadragon, 19 March 2007 - 08:54 AM.

Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#58 matts1w

matts1w

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:50 AM

Technical diving is the domain of the few, but I think some of it's tenets have a place in recreational diving, particularly when it comes to safety. Things like gas planning, checking over gear, practicing OOAs, and other things. I am not so sure that's promoting technical diving as much as it is promoting safety.

You are certainly welcome to the opinion that overhead diving is stupid. It's a common opinion. There are type of open-water diving I view in a similar vein, but I'll keep those thoughts to myself.

Thanks for sharing your feelings. And I am certainly glad we are in a venue where everyone's thoughts and feelings can be shared equally.

-P

My bad. Poor writing on my part. For any student I TRAIN it is stupid to go inside a wreck or cave. I do not do that sort of diving, certainly do not teach overhead diving (Even when I do the PADI wreck class we do not penetrate), and therefore teach my students that for them to think the training I give them opens those doors would be stupid. In no way, shape or form do I think caving is stupid. My TDI instructor is a very accomplished in the Florida cave community, and I have HUGE respect for him. Nonetheless, my passions are teaching diving, marine life, and spearfishing. That's it. Consequently that is what I teach. Caves, freshwater, and the innerds of a sunken ship do nothing for me, but I know they do for you. In no way do I think you are stupid for doing that- in fact I find your posts very very intelligent. I do think it is really lame how how quickly your ilk paint with a broad brush.

By the way- gas planning, saftey checks, practicing midwater OOAs are all mandatory parts of Open Water class.

Edited by matts1w, 19 March 2007 - 09:02 AM.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, and totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW! -- What a Ride!"

#59 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:59 AM

By the way- gas planning, saftey checks, practicing OOAs (even in midwater), etc.. are all part of many people's recreational classes, including Open Water Diver.

I have easily spoken to 100 OW divers, including my own friends. And in only 1 case were any of them taught basic gas planning and did OOA midwater. I know it comes down to instructor, but I think we have to do a better job of helping these folks. If you're diving a wall, you can't kneel on the bottom if you have a gas failure.

Kudo's to you for teaching this stuff. I wish more did.

#60 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,674 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:01 AM

To All:

Please note that the discussion of training in general is not as relevant as the discussion of exceeding YOUR training, or that of your buddies or that of the circumstances.

This community nevers condones discrediting of any agency.

Our focus is always to see what can be learned after a tragic accident such as this. It is easier to be an armchair coach after the fact...however let the first person step forward who has NEVER made a mistake, never exceeded their training, never shown poor judgement, never been narc'd etc. and then you can point fingers.

This is NOT an agency training issue. It is an issue of poor judgement, most likely situational and not chronic.

Thank you for keeping the discussion focused on 'lessons learned' and how we can all take something away from this that is positive.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users