• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DISCUSSION: Bahamas "Island Dream" Liveaboard for New Year's Eve

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

#16 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:15 AM

Can you put me on the "interested but can't commit yet" list. Pending work/holidays schedule etc...
Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

#17 netmage

netmage

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:44 AM

Hey guys...this trip is a GO!!! I will have the final details posted AS SOON AS I GET BACK FROM BELIZE! So be prepared to get your airfare and sign up! :wavey:

Belize??? Oh life is so tuff.... :cool1:
"I aim to misbehave...."

#18 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:56 AM

For the Dallas members a FYI if you fly American don't bother to fly direct to Nassau from DFW as the flight is on a regional jet (CR7) take the one hop through Fort Lauderdale and make like alot easier. also airfare ex-DFW is at $515 and up right now, unless FG has access to fare buckets i cant see.

FWIW

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#19 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:38 AM

For the Dallas members a FYI if you fly American don't bother to fly direct to Nassau from DFW as the flight is on a regional jet (CR7) take the one hop through Fort Lauderdale and make like alot easier. also airfare ex-DFW is at $515 and up right now, unless FG has access to fare buckets i cant see.

That or its 30K AA FF miles for the ticket and there is currently availability for the day before trip leaves and the day after its over

Hehe, you don't like the Regional Jets? They're about my only option out of Lubbock other than Southwest (different story) Air, and I was really glad to see the AT7s replaced with RJets after one of the AT7s proved unworthy in areas prone to ice storms and all were moved to the Caribbean area, Cent & South America.

I'm always trying to learn from these boards, tho - and I'm curious why you're quoting fares to Nassau? The AA one stop is considerably cheaper than the non-stop to NAS, with MD80 service to FLL then AT7 service (there's one now) to NAS, but the boat docks in Georgetown on Exuma - GGT, and that's a 30 miles swim, boat taxi or additional flight. Perhaps you had another thot in mind, and I missed it?

AA does have service DFW to GGT with a change in Miami, but that fare is $871 with taxes (at this moment, subject to whim) with an overnight MIA layover each direction. Also looks like AA only has one non-stop a day from MIA to GGT, and I always like more options when I can get them.

Using Sidestep.com, I see that American does have a Multi-carrier option to GGT with same day travel each way for around $760, but I avoid airline changes - willing to pay some more to stick with one airline if the routing is reasonable. I just do not see AA as the airline of choice for this trip, but again - I think I may have missed your point...?

Continental has 2 change service to GGT, but it's same airline, same day, for $853 at the moment. $80 more to stick to one airline with same day service is very appealing to me, and in the possible event of missing in FLL, they have 2 flights the next day to GGT.

I did this study on Dec 28 and Jan 5 flights, as the prudent travel will want to arrive on GGT the day before sailing for wintertime travel, I agree - but I'd be ready to get on home on the same Saturday as leaving the boat. I don't know why you suggested day after travel, unless you were trying to spend miles?

To me, the airline of choice here looks like Continental with one unappealing aspect of smaller prop planes being flown in & out of GGT - but then I don't guess that airport gets anything but props.

If FG has availabilty to cheaper fares or alternative service, I'd be interested in knowing. It's 8 months away, but demand for those seats is going to be high.

Edited by DandyDon, 23 April 2007 - 09:42 AM.

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#20 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:07 AM

Dandy Don

Sorry didnt know i had the wrong airport, i thought nassau would be the starting point. As for the regional jets i dont have a problem with them but for a 4 hour flight thats a real long time for me to be in a small plane.

Airfare from DFW to GGT is running $790 + tax based from what i can see for fare availability and award tickets are thin for the leaving date but you would have to stay till the 7th to get a award ticket back, unless you want to burn 60K for a anytime economy ticket.

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#21 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:34 AM

Dandy Don

Sorry didnt know i had the wrong airport, i thought nassau would be the starting point. As for the regional jets i dont have a problem with them but for a 4 hour flight thats a real long time for me to be in a small plane.

Airfare from DFW to GGT is running $790 + tax based from what i can see for fare availability and award tickets are thin for the leaving date but you would have to stay till the 7th to get a award ticket back, unless you want to burn 60K for a anytime economy ticket.

:lmao: Yeah you get better results with the right airport & island.

I'm with you on the 4 hour flight problem, but almost all the planes are tighter than they used to be. I'm 6 ft tall, my home buddy is taller, and I miss the old Tri-Stars.

The boat off-loads on the 5th, so you'd have to stay two days to get an AA award ticket back, huh - and still overnight in MIA? :banghead: I guess AA is the usual airline of choice out of DFW, but not for this trip, IMO.

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#22 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:32 PM

:lmao: Yeah you get better results with the right airport & island.

I'm with you on the 4 hour flight problem, but almost all the planes are tighter than they used to be. I'm 6 ft tall, my home buddy is taller, and I miss the old Tri-Stars.

The boat off-loads on the 5th, so you'd have to stay two days to get an AA award ticket back, huh - and still overnight in MIA? :banghead: I guess AA is the usual airline of choice out of DFW, but not for this trip, IMO.

the other problem with flights over 4 hours is i dont have batteries for my laptop that last that long, so a powerport is what im looking for plus a comfortable seat would be nice (IE business if the flight has that option) as I can sleep in a economy seat but i will arrive jetlagged real bad especially if its a overnight flight daytime isnt really that much of a problem. Im 5'10" and right behind you and long in the legs so a seat with a decent pitch is nice.

Award tickets availability can be confusing in that they only preallocate a couple of tickets per flight greater then 90 days out and then 90-14-21 days out they will release more based on weather revenue management thinks that they will be able or not sell, plus the timeframe for the trip is a premium time so the availability is going to be less. I was using the standard award lookup for reference for number of miles required; i have access to the elite status award availability and its slightly better depending on dates and times and your FF elite status.

Edited by Scubatooth, 23 April 2007 - 12:33 PM.

#23 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:21 PM

I'm so accustomed to sleeping on flights, I have a hard time staying awake for the safety presentation - or even leaving the dock on a ferry. I get in something that feels like a plane seat, and it is ZZZZZZZZZZs for me.

#24 landlocked

landlocked

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:30 PM

Hey Guys! Tstormwarning and I just came back from this trip. It was fantastic. I assume Tammy will write a full report of all the awesome stuff we saw. I did a quickie report here http://www.singlediv...showtopic=12942
If that doesn't work it's in the reports from current trips. Not sure if thats where it's supposed to be, but it seemed like a good place to me.

Anyway, I'm seriously thinking about this in December.

:thankyou: :diver: :thankyou:
mandi

Edited by landlocked, 20 May 2007 - 06:48 AM.

#25 Sonny Beaches

Sonny Beaches

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Board Status:I be here
  • Cert Level:aow-nitrox
  • Logged Dives:over 100

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:39 AM

I'm thinking about it, but have wait a little and see what this wedding of my daughters going to cost me in Oct. :cheerleader: Her wedding, and redoing my house is cutting into my diving money!!!!!! :)

#26 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:37 AM

Shad... Thank you! Yes, I thought it was lower deck; I am glad you confirmed it. No, I didn't know about about nutmeg for motion sickness. I sure will try that. I also have one of those 'Relief Band' watches that emits a little electrical signal, and that helps too. I just have to stay away from the drugs. They're worse than the cure for me.

Hi catfish,

I found this picture on an unrelated website that shows the motion of a boat in all three axis.

Photo Here...

As you can imagine, when you are near the center of gravity the boat motions are minimal. The further you go from the center, the more pronounced the movement. So if you are near the bow, stern or even the sides, the movement is more exaggerated than being near the center of the boat. As the center of gravity on a boat is typically just below the waterline, your choice of a lower level berth is best.

Thought a picture would help explain things better.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#27 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver

Posted 28 May 2007 - 11:45 AM

Shad... Thank you! Yes, I thought it was lower deck; I am glad you confirmed it. No, I didn't know about about nutmeg for motion sickness. I sure will try that. I also have one of those 'Relief Band' watches that emits a little electrical signal, and that helps too. I just have to stay away from the drugs. They're worse than the cure for me.

Hi catfish,

I found this picture on an unrelated website that shows the motion of a boat in all three axis.

Photo Here...

As you can imagine, when you are near the center of gravity the boat motions are minimal. The further you go from the center, the more pronounced the movement. So if you are near the bow, stern or even the sides, the movement is more exaggerated than being near the center of the boat. As the center of gravity on a boat is typically just below the waterline, your choice of a lower level berth is best.

Thought a picture would help explain things better.

Great diagram. having spent 12 years in the Royal Navy I was always the butt end of jokes because of my chronic seasickness. Shad is right. midships towards the centre of the vessel is best. Sometimes the lower deck noise can be a problem from the engines - but just bring ear plugs. On deck, keep away from the stern to avoid engine fumes wafting up your nostrils when the boat is underway. My secret is to chew ginger and get flat when you feel queasy. And do stay off seasick pills. They just dehydrate you.
Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

#28 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:09 AM

Hey guys...this trip is a GO!!! I will have the final details posted AS SOON AS I GET BACK FROM BELIZE! So be prepared to get your airfare and sign up! :lmao:

OK, I'm good on the $1095 for the basic boat charges. That's taxes included, right?
Got a rate on All Nitrox for the week?
Got a suggested Tip Range?
Got hotel plans & prices for Friday night? No way I want to risk arriving on Saturday.
I've got the Air covered, seats available and fare down at the moment , but this trip - altho nothing like the Red or Australia - does push my personal limits, so I want to run an adding machine tape before I book air or send a deposit yet to be announced.

Other charges expected for those of us on budgets?
Taxi fees at GGT?
Additional port or departure fees & taxes?

I know that it's over six months away, but when a trip costs about as much as my pickup is worth, I like to plan the funds before I spend the first two thousand.

thanks! Posted Image

#29 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:35 AM

Yes, $1095 includes tax but not a fuel surcharge

Nitrox is $150 for the week

Typically, divers will tip between 10 and 15 percent of the trip cost, depending on the level of service you receive while on board

We haven't locked down a hotel for Friday night yet but will announce it once we do

from the boat's website:

Packages Do Not Include:
Airport transfers
Friday evening dinner
Rental, instruction and retail charges
Crew gratuities
Trip Cancellation Insurance
Departure taxes (approximately US$15)
Bahamas Port Fee (US$75) – payable on board
Temporary Fuel Surcharge - currently $100US pp – payable on board

#30 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:13 AM

Yes, $1095 includes tax but not a fuel surcharge (snipped some good info...)

I am in as stated previously. Will send off a deposit to you to hold my place by the end of June. We can talk about airfare then FG.

Will need a hotel room on the night before.

:thankyou:
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users