• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Singles Weeks...

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:08 PM

WW, Please include an option for boat dives..... ?

She always does.

#17 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:14 PM

What about Puerto Rico, theres plenty of good spots to dive and there are several good boats i have dove with that will take you to reefs that are in excellent condition and full of life (IE a queen angel fish about 30" long and colors you wouldnt believe). There are also some good shore dives as well, but you have to know about them or get info from the locals as there not published. I dont know if anyone is organizing a singles week but i could ask, and see what comes up. as for locations does anyone mind a little bit of a more rustic local that is quiet and scenic (like a fishing village) or you want more metropletin?

If your a photographer this is a location to come to as there is plenty to shoot.

WW i have info on places and will bring it all back to you when i come back.

Tooth

Edited by Scubatooth, 25 June 2007 - 05:18 PM.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#18 divzac

divzac

Diving Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI IDC Staff Instructor / Captain. I either dive or drive often in the Palm Beaches
  • Logged Dives:I kinda got lazy after a couple hundred

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:25 PM

WW, Please include an option for boat dives..... ?

She always does.

Thanks!
I wanna be the person that my dog thinks I am

Check out the SPREE...come dive with us!

charlies@singledivers.com

#19 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:51 PM

What about Puerto Rico, theres plenty of good spots to dive and there are several good boats i have dove with that will take you to reefs that are in excellent condition and full of life (IE a queen angel fish about 30" long and colors you wouldnt believe). There are also some good shore dives as well, but you have to know about them or get info from the locals as there not published. I dont know if anyone is organizing a singles week but i could ask, and see what comes up. as for locations does anyone mind a little bit of a more rustic local that is quiet and scenic (like a fishing village) or you want more metropletin?

If your a photographer this is a location to come to as there is plenty to shoot.

WW i have info on places and will bring it all back to you when i come back.

Tooth

Puerto Rico's SW corner by La Paguara had excellent Vis maybe the best I've dived in this past March compared to T & C, WPB and Grenada . La Paguara was a nice dive and fishing community That I understand that the locals of San Juan weekend to get away from the big city. You could walk to everything that you needed. There is a island about 12 miles off Ricon that willbe my next Puerto Rico dive destination.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#20 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:27 PM

scubaski

I have dove both of those locations in the past two days and the diving is absolutely wonderful, and the operators are very good. the island you are talking about off rincon is called desecheo island and is a marine sanctuary where no fishing is allowed and the reefs are in excellent condition.

Paragura is as you describe and is perfect for me.

if you come down to PR before 8/31 send me a PM and i will join you for a couple of dives.

Tooth

Edited by Scubatooth, 25 June 2007 - 06:31 PM.

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#21 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:57 PM

scubaski

I have dove both of those locations in the past two days and the diving is absolutely wonderful, and the operators are very good. the island you are talking about off rincon is called desecheo island and is a marine sanctuary where no fishing is allowed and the reefs are in excellent condition.

Paragura is as you describe and is perfect for me.

if you come down to PR before 8/31 send me a PM and i will join you for a couple of dives.

Tooth

Hi Tooth,
A Dan Intern, KOOOL. At PR Technical Dive Center. I think I walked in there on my March trip, Just down the street from Crash Boat Beach. Cool Island -Cool People. Thanks for the offer.
Dive Safe, Stan
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#22 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:23 AM

Great suggestion tooth! You and ski could be the unofficial trip leaders!!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#23 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:10 AM

Stan

yes im just down the road from crashboat, but did you get a chance to dive natural (aka gas chambers accroding to the tourist map)? When you where in the shop did you speak to brenda or tony? Its been good to work down here so far and i have built up a number of contacts in the area that i will be able to use in the future.

not a problem being a trip leader. If i run the trip i will make sure everyone gets a good taste of the island including cusine, the road side kiosk are a must, as you will be amazed how much $5 gets you for lunch (1/2 chicken, rice, beans, and potatoes (yucco).

Tooth

#24 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:15 AM

Sounds like we need a poll with all the destination choices listed to get a consensus...
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#25 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:23 AM

I just did Bonaire this year, and I think that might be an ideal place for a Singles Week, especially for newer divers. Unlimited shore diving in clear water with no noticeable current? Awesome.

I would suggest going in April or May though, the end of the cruiser season (they are fun to laugh at but crowd everything), and towards the end of the main dive season. Everything is cheaper, I spent a week, breakfast included, truck rental, airfare, unlimited air or a free Nitrox upgrade. This was at a smaller place, not one of the big resorts, but there are deals to be had on this island. Anyone who wants more info can PM me, and I put some bad pics in the members gallery if you want to see what it looks like, or check out my Flickr page for a whole bunch more, including surface shots at www.flickr.com/photos/seaducer

I haven't been on an official singles week, I will tell you there is NOT much nightlife there. Did a night dive everynight and missed nothing, so if partying is a big part of the trip find another place. However if diving is the main theme (and somehow I think it is) then this is a place to go.
The experienced divers can get a trip to the East side for some rougher conditions and some unique sites like big green turtles and the like. Photographers like myself can be frustrated at the perfect conditions for taking photos that I screw up, and new divers can dive their @$$ off in ideal conditions. You can then make yourself sick at looking at the new houses being built litterally 40 steps from the ocean listed for 215,000 US, making a defection from the Hinterlands all the more dreamy...

Sorry for the ramble, but if Bonaire was a lady, I would be in the Married catagory for this site... :thankyou:

Edited by ScubaDrew, 26 June 2007 - 09:38 AM.

Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

#26 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:30 AM

I haven't been on an official singles week, I will tell you there is NOT much nightlife there. Did a night dive everynight and missed nothing, so if partying is a big part of the trip find another place. However if diving is the main theme (and somehow I think it is) then this is a place to go.

When you have 30+ people on the same trip there is no lack of night life... :thankyou:

Thanks for the report!
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#27 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:39 AM

When you have 30+ people on the same trip there is no lack of night life... :thankyou:

Thanks for the report!

This is true! :diver:
Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

#28 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:52 AM

When you have 30+ people on the same trip there is no lack of night life... :diver:

Thanks for the report!

This is true! :fish:

Did you happen to do Larrys Wildside Diving off the NE coast. A SRI that you backroll off of and He's a Ex Dutch Marine with the attitude. He ties up next to the windsurfing and nudist resort?? :thankyou:
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#29 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:27 PM

Ideas Update:

1. We have been approached to offer a Single's Special in January in Bonaire which will feature a single room for the price of a double! :tears: To sweeten the pot we'll have a special booking deal for early bookings that will make it even nicer! The special will cover most of January I think...we are finalizing the details. This would not be a Single's Week but rather a Single's Special.

2. We have also been talking to BuddyDive as well as Divi to do a Single's Week sometime in 2008. This might appeal to those wanting the Single's Week idea like we did in Grenada. This would be a sponsored trip meaning SD would co-host the event.

3. We have been asked to do an second annual Single's Week in Grenada and ScubaPunk is right...it will always be a different trip with different people on it. Plus we only touched upon the dive spots available to us.

4. Several liveaboards have been talking to us about doing a singles week on them as well. So this is an option. This would most likely be a sponsored event like Grenada.

5. Fantasy Island does an annual Single's Event that is very inexpensive. SD can book people on that trip in September and save you money by doing so. We attended this Single's Week last year and had a ball. But at 120+ people it was pretty big to manage and the hotel wants to keep the job of matching roommates/dive buddies rather than allow a group like us to do so. That is fine and we understand so we will just book people who want to go.

6. Single's Weeks came about as a way to tap into the growing singles market and to fill a resort during low census hence the cheaper rates. Almost everyone wants to do them in September since that is hurricane season. FI does their in September as well as several others I am aware of. We have encouraged resorts to pick another time so as to not compete. Some resorts can offer a much lower price and others can offer much better amenities. You as the single diver can choose what you want to do. AND you can choose between a singles event that is hosted by SD or one that is endorsed by SD. Either way you'll be fine but we want you to know that there is a difference so you know what you are getting.

7. A another note about Bonaire or any place for that matter. Most resorts want us to repeat the experience with them once we go to all the effort to set one up. This makes the event better each year and gives our members a 'sure thing'. As mentioned before all our trips are basically 'single's weeks' as the majority of our members are single, solo etc. One of the best advantages to a single's week is the price and the extra amenities the resorts usually add to appeal to the solo traveler.

So if most of you only want to do a different Single's Week destination every year it will be hard for us to sell that to a resort. Meaning hey let's go to all this effort to set up a single's week for one year cuz we want to do someplace else next year! If this is the case we are probably better off just offering a great rate and letting people find buddies on the site and go themselves.

Great feedback so far. Thank you all...keep it coming!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#30 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:47 PM

He ties up next to the windsurfing and nudist resort?? :tears:

...and we are talking about going elsewhere WHY...!? :ph34r:

:tears:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users