• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Drysuit Do's and Don'ts

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#16 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:22 PM

I have installed a shut off valve in my inflator hose just before where it connects into the inflator inlet. This way, I won't need to disconnect the hose in order to keep gas from flowing into the suit. It just gives another option, and I think it will be faster than trying to take the hose off. Hopefully, I'll never have to use it.

BTW, I also route the hose under my left shoulder strap.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#17 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:44 PM

One thing I just thought of that no one has mentioned -- the unmentionables. Depends, Tenas... what are people using and why? (I like to keep myself well-hydrated so this is definitely a must. :lmao: )

Nothing says sexy like Depends... The one thing I have found is that the urge to purge is much lower in the drysuit. That being said, I don't think I would be comfortable diving without that safety margin :D

#18 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:51 PM

)
One thing I just thought of that no one has mentioned -- the unmentionables.

I mentioned it in my first post... but I'm not surprised you didn't see it. Refernce the phrase "small metal object..."

Some guys I know use depends. Most use a valve. Most women I know use depends or something similar. I think I may try it until I get my valve installed. Hopefully, that won't take long.

#19 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:58 PM

<snip>Reference the phrase "small metal object..."<snip>

Ah, yes... now I remember. ;)

Thx for pointing out the decreased "urge to purge", Michelle. But I agree, always best to err on the side of safety.

#20 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:06 PM

I hydrate well the day of the dive but I go to the bathroom before every dive so I can "hold it in" for an hour. Cold water does make you want to go a little more but for technical diving if you will be in the water for extended periods of time this is an issue you would need to address.

I don't think you will have a problem for the dives you are planning to do.

DSS sells a little plastic flange for $2.00 or something like that that you pop on your inflator hose that makes it easy to disconnect should you need to (stuck valve or whatever). I have one on both of my inflator hoses.

Edited by gcbryan, 03 July 2007 - 11:07 PM.

#21 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:34 PM

While we're giving advise you might want to rig up a weight belt if you end up doing a lot of local shore dives just to try out and to keep as an option for certain dives.

I have the DSS BP/W also but don't have the additional 8lb bolt-on additional weight plate. If you are doing local shore dives where you might have a steep hill to climb at the end of the dive you might like to have a weight belt to drop to make climbing the hill easier. In my case I also dive out of a car and I lift every thing up to the top of the trunk of my car. My tank is already 48lbs full + the 5lb BP so an additional 8lbs would probably give me "tennis elbow" due to the awkward hight of the top of the trunk of my car. If I only had to lift it to a tailgate I might use the 8lb add-on plates as well although for the most extreme shore dives as I mentioned it's still nice to be able to drop a lot of weight.

Just something to think about.

By the way, if you get stuck with aluminum tanks for your pool or checkout dives it's no big deal it just requires more weight around your waist. When you do more local diving and are ready to buy tanks then you should definitely buy steel tanks.

#22 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:53 PM

<snip>When you do more local diving and are ready to buy tanks then you should definitely buy steel tanks.

When?? More like IF. :welcome: (Right now, the drysuit class is a means to an end.) Honestly, I can't see myself owning tanks anytime soon unless I'm storing them at someone else's place. (I live in a rabbit hutch for humans.) But hey, never say never -- rarely do I close any doors all the way. :wavey:

#23 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:55 PM

Well, I'm tentatively scheduled to start my drysuit class mid-July.

Does anyone have any tips, tricks or advice they'd care to share?

TIA!

Remember it's not a wetsuit, so don't pee in it.

It took some getting used to for me when I first went dry. (No, not the peeing part!) Moving through the water column will be a little harder because it's not as streamlined as a wet suit. You will need to manage the air in your bc and also the drysuit. I'm of the school where the bc, not the drysuit, is for buoyancy while underwater, only put enough air in the drysuit to keep the squeeze off. The reason for that is your body is using energy to heat up the air in your suit. The more air in your suit, the more energy you will use, plus it will be harder to manage because you have all that air in your suit rolling around, and also making you less streamlined, therefore using even more energy to manuever. And as you ascend, if you've been using the suit for buoyancy, you now have to dump all that nice warm air that your body just spent a great deal of energy heating up. I personally prefer leaving the exhaust valve all the way open. When I need to vent air, just a simple roll to my right with a slight heads up position does it.

I thought you were only going to dive warm water, so why do you need a drysuit?
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#24 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:17 AM

HAVE FUN! Everybody, looks like a dope when they do their first drysuit sessions. You'll get flipped upside down, you'll end up feet up, and on your head, and you'll look silly. Take solace in the fact we all do it. Just laugh at yourself and others and enjoy it. I remember my first real attempt to dive my drysuit and ending up doing the "lawn dart" pose for 5 minutes trying to straighten myself out. My cavern buddies thought it was hilarious. I was about to cry because I knew I'd have to get out in the 38F air and dive wet.

Oh, and be sure to get pictures!

PerroneFord... like Annasea, I too appreciate these words. I've had my drysuit now for over a month and have yet to put it on and try it out. Part of the reason is that, as a local "dive icon," I don't want to look as silly at the dive park as I know I will... it could ruin my largely unearned reputation. Good to know that most people look a bit silly when they start. However, maybe I'll wait until a midweek winter day when the water is cold and, more importantly, the dive park is nearly empty.

Good luck with your drysuit class, Caetllonn. I think I'll wait to see the pictures before I try mine!

#25 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:51 AM

.. maybe I'll wait until a midweek winter day when the water is cold and, more importantly, the dive park is nearly empty.

You could make it a night dive - a top secret, special ops drysuit checkout. But then you run the risk that no one will believe you did it when it's over. :welcome:
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#26 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:44 AM

annasea,

please keep us posted on how your class goes. I just ordered my drysuit and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. Why I'm excited about another opportunity to look like a complete amateur in the water, I don't know. lol. I experienced a new level of humbleness last summer when I started diving with doubles, so at least I'm used to the feeling. But seriously, I would love to hear about your class, your experiences and any tips you can give to someone else diving dry for the first time!

Thanks!
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#27 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:49 AM

I have 45 dives on my dry suit and will be finishing up my "official" dry suit course this weekend.

My first dry dive was from the shore with gentle slope and only 18' depth max with sandy bottom. Was with a very experienced buddy who gave me a bunch of good tips and stayed right beside me the whole time. I practiced multiple free ascents / descents and fin pivots until I was comfortable enough for deeper water.

Practice, practice, practice and be comfortable with the suit and its operation before you go out in open water.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#28 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:23 PM

Actually what I have found is that if I put just enough air in my drysuit to keep the undergarments fluffed and NO air in my BCD, then I am neutrally buoyant. If you are adding air to your BCD after that then I would suggest checking your weights as you are probably overweighted.
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#29 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 02:27 PM

Actually what I have found is that if I put just enough air in my drysuit to keep the undergarments fluffed and NO air in my BCD, then I am neutrally buoyant. If you are adding air to your BCD after that then I would suggest checking your weights as you are probably overweighted.

This greatly depends on the tank(s) you are wearing. While it may hold that you are overweighted if you have a single tank and a weightbelt, if you're wearing double 130s or double 104, and a couple stage/deco bottles, you ARE going to have some air in that BCD.

#30 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 02:47 PM

This greatly depends on the tank(s) you are wearing. While it may hold that you are overweighted if you have a single tank and a weightbelt, if you're wearing double 130s or double 104, and a couple stage/deco bottles, you ARE going to have some air in that BCD.

Up here in a single tank you are going to have air in your BC as well unless you just aren't going too deep or for too long.

Edited by gcbryan, 05 July 2007 - 02:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users