• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Drysuit Do's and Don'ts

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#46 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:58 PM

You can also try Apollo Bio Seals for the allergic problem. I don't know how well they work but it's one option.

#47 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:16 PM

Next time either try to rent a suit with narrower wrist seals or at least push the wrist seal up your arm a bit to where you get a tighter fit.

Great idea! :welcome:

<snip> You can always go with neoprene seals when you buy your own drysuit. <snip>

<snip>Keep in mind that when you have your own suit you should stay dry as the seals will be fit to you.

<snip> When you get your own suit, this will likely be a non-issue.

You people seem awfully sure of yourselves... :-D

#48 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:50 PM

Next time either try to rent a suit with narrower wrist seals or at least push the wrist seal up your arm a bit to where you get a tighter fit.

Great idea! :welcome:

<snip> You can always go with neoprene seals when you buy your own drysuit. <snip>

<snip>Keep in mind that when you have your own suit you should stay dry as the seals will be fit to you.

<snip> When you get your own suit, this will likely be a non-issue.

You people seem awfully sure of yourselves... :-D

From non-swimmer to drysuit diver...your own suit?....it's only a matter of time!

#49 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:03 PM

From non-swimmer to drysuit diver...your own suit?....it's only a matter of time!

Hopefully, a long time. I'm maxed out for space for scuba gear. :P

I posted this thread over on another board and received a rather alarming response re: a drysuit leaking in a pool but not leaking in the ocean. According to the diver that responded, it's just not so! She was told the same thing and almost wound up in the hospital with hypothermia! :o Jeepers! And I was cold in the pool!!!

So assuming the worst... I'm too tall for a small (which may not have smaller seals anyway) and I have to wear the same suit again, is there any kind of workaround I can use other than or addition to pushing the seals up further on my wrists? Something that will tighten the seal around my neck, too? (I believe the neck seal was looser than the wrists.) Another layer of latex to slide on top of the existing seals perhaps? :cool1:

And what about fin keepers? Does anyone here have any experience with them? The boots on the rental were quite big so if I can cinch them up with fin keepers as was suggested to me by the abovementioned diver, I'm all for it!

#50 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:08 PM

Fin keepers work. I don't have attached boots so it's not an issue for me but they work. You might try Apollo Bio Seals which in addition to the possible allergy issue might help the leak issue as well.

If it leaks in the pool it will leak in the ocean. You may have been moving your neck around more doing skills and if you do less of this in the ocean you will have less leaks. If you can rent a DUI drysuit with zip seals these pop off and the dive shop could rent you the proper sized zip seals.

No room for scuba gear in your apartment...make room! Or keep it at the dive shop or at a friends house. There is no excuse for not diving when you live in BC :cool1:

Edited by gcbryan, 18 July 2007 - 08:10 PM.

#51 TonyL

TonyL

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:25 PM

I have fin-keepers but I just use them to hang the suit upside down. I use 1" webbing with fastex buckles. I would recommend staying away from ankle weights because they will just cause you to put more weight in your legs to maintain trim. I would rather have rock boots on my suit.

As for the leaking, most drysuits are really only mostly-dry or semi-dry - just ask Colleen. They will still work even with small leaks.

You may want to get a custom fit or a modified suit.

#52 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:44 AM

Tony is right. I have been diving my old leaky suit even after buying a new drysuit (the new suit is too large).
I prefer to dive my leaking old suit over my new none leaking but way too big suit. ( Bouyancey is the key word here)

I highly recommend a custom suit.
Having met you and knowning your size. I doubt you can buy a well fitting suit off the rack.

Getting a drysuit that fits well is a huge advantage over a suit that "sort of fits".

When you own the suit "customizing" it to fit just you is easy to do.

wrist and neck seals are not an issue. You just have to trim in tiny increments

And yes depending on your suit you can dive a very leaky drysuit...
I have done it more often than I care to remember. :cool1:

Edited by gis_gal, 19 July 2007 - 12:47 AM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#53 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 05:31 AM

And yes depending on your suit you can dive a very leaky drysuit...
I have done it more often than I care to remember. :cool1:

Yes, you can dive a leaky suit if your undergarments are up to the task. But with a cotton baselayer, the risk is pretty high in your waters.

#54 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Cert Level:Numerous
  • Logged Dives:Fg = (m x D) m10^-2

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:25 AM

So assuming the worst... I'm too tall for a small (which may not have smaller seals anyway) and I have to wear the same suit again, is there any kind of workaround I can use other than or addition to pushing the seals up further on my wrists? Something that will tighten the seal around my neck, too? (I believe the neck seal was looser than the wrists.) Another layer of latex to slide on top of the existing seals perhaps? :cool1:

<old asian man voice on>
Little grasshopper, there are only two tools you will ever need...

Duct tape and WD40.

If it moves and it shouldn't, use Duct tape.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40.
<old asian man voice off>

Seriosuly, some guys I dive with will duct tape their seals when diving contaminated water.

When you get ready to buy a suit, make sure you get one with seals that are matched to your measurements.
Moose
Everything I know about knots, I learned from Alexander the Great.

#55 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:32 AM

Yes, you can dive a leaky suit if your undergarments are up to the task. But with a cotton baselayer, the risk is pretty high in your waters.

The keep is to avoid any cotton in your undergarments. :cool1:

If your suit does leak and you are planning on doing more than 1 dive make sure you bring a back up set of undergarments and something warm and dry to change into after your done diving.

Puget Sound is cold but not too cold to dive wet or semi-dry if you need to.

#56 netmage

netmage

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:59 AM

The keep is to avoid any cotton in your undergarments. :canada:

I'm not going to replace the tidy whities w/ lacey silk! Ok maybe some underarmour...
"I aim to misbehave...."

#57 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:45 AM

I'm not going to replace the tidy whities w/ lacey silk! Ok maybe some underarmour...

I would never suggest a man abandon his tidy whities ~ Undies are a personal preference. :canada:

Undergarments are a different story.

#58 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:29 PM

When not using my 200grm undergarments I use some good old military poly pro. It melts to the skin in a fire, so I've regulated it to my dry suit gear bag. Underarmor is also great to use.

#59 netmage

netmage

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:49 PM

I would never suggest a man abandon his tidy whities ~ Undies are a personal preference. :lmao:

Undergarments are a different story.

I know, I know... just trying to re-enforce my standing as the resident smartass.. :canada: I think we've got the 3 tech stooges here, or maybe muskateers :) ... Perrone is the pot stirrer, I'm the slapstick, and Vinny is the voice of reason....

Lately I've been using weasle's, picked up some used DC stretch thinsulate that are a little tight, lemme drop 10-20 and they should be golden, also got a vest which should be nice over some new polarfleece 300's I also just picked up off ebay.
"I aim to misbehave...."

#60 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 03:13 PM

I've got a new USIA Fleece that I am going to try out in the pool this weekend. Pool is about the same temps as the cave so it should give me a good idea.

I need a drysuit hood now, or I've got to cut my current one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users