• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Drysuit Do's and Don'ts

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#61 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 05:58 PM

OK, since cotton is out as an under-undergarment (the LDS will supply undergarments for my check-out dives), is there an inexpensive alternative to UnderArmour? I have a polar fleece sweatshirt but will have to look around for a pair of bottoms if polar fleece is a 'yes'. I got cold in the pool wearing (cotton) bottoms and a top underneath the drysuit so I'm reckoning I'll need the extra layer under the undergarments in the ocean.

Re: Apollo Bio neck and wrist seals... I found them on DiveTank's website and they may work great, but they're awfully expensive for a few dives. I don't have a lot of body hair to rip off so maybe duct tape would work, but I doubt the LDS would be keen on the idea. Anything else? Or was the duct tape meant to add bulk to my wrists under the latex seal? (As opposed to taping the seal to my wrists?) :canada:

Re: fin keepers... I googled them to see what they look like, and the impression I get is that they only fit over the back of the foot/boot. Is this accurate? If so, is it enough to prevent air from getting into the rest of the boot?

Oy! So much work... damn these frigid local waters. :lmao:

#62 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:24 PM

OK, since cotton is out as an under-undergarment (the LDS will supply undergarments for my check-out dives), is there an inexpensive alternative to UnderArmour? I have a polar fleece sweatshirt but will have to look around for a pair of bottoms if polar fleece is a 'yes'. I got cold in the pool wearing (cotton) bottoms and a top underneath the drysuit so I'm reckoning I'll need the extra layer under the undergarments in the ocean.

Re: Apollo Bio neck and wrist seals... I found them on DiveTank's website and they may work great, but they're awfully expensive for a few dives. I don't have a lot of body hair to rip off so maybe duct tape would work, but I doubt the LDS would be keen on the idea. Anything else? Or was the duct tape meant to add bulk to my wrists under the latex seal? (As opposed to taping the seal to my wrists?) :canada:

Re: fin keepers... I googled them to see what they look like, and the impression I get is that they only fit over the back of the foot/boot. Is this accurate? If so, is it enough to prevent air from getting into the rest of the boot?

Oy! So much work... damn these frigid local waters. :lmao:

Fleece/wool/anything you would/should wear hiking will work. Just no cotton.

Just push the wrist seal up your arm for your next two ocean dives and that should get your through OK.

Fin keepers cost about $3.00 and the one's I"m talking about look like they were cut out of an inner tube. Your boot toe goes through them and they also go behind your heel and squeeze the middle part of your boot.

Edited by gcbryan, 19 July 2007 - 06:25 PM.

#63 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:27 PM

Polarfleece is an insulator, not a wicking layer. It will hold the moisture on your skin. Wrong tool for the job. Surely someone in your area sells wicking products and has something on sale.

Adidas has climalite
Nike has Dri-fit
Reebok has Hydromove
Puma has something. I can't remember
Patagonia has Capilene

This is great stuff and you don't just have to use it for diving. Use it for any athletic activity from hiking to biking. I went for a run for the first time in Dri-Fit and did 2.5 miles. When I got home, it was barely damp. GREAT stuff.

#64 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:42 PM

Well remember, I'm artsy not sporty so I don't know much about wicking stuff. I just checked out MEC's website and it looks like it'll cost me around $90 for a top and bottom.

Are these the type of fin keepers everyone's referring to? fin keepers

#65 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:49 PM

Well remember, I'm artsy not sporty so I don't know much about wicking stuff. I just checked out MEC's website and it looks like it'll cost me around $90 for a top and bottom.

Yes.

#66 TonyL

TonyL

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:52 PM

You can probably find stuff cheap in a discount sporting goods store. I just throw on whatever fleece I have near me (we wear a lot of fleece up here) and the rest I got for free from my rich uncle. I'm not very fashion conscious so it works for me. I did look at a Weezel but probably won't get one in the near future.

#67 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:32 PM

edit

Edited by gcbryan, 19 July 2007 - 09:33 PM.

#68 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:33 PM

Thx for the ongoing replies! :birthday:

I notice no one touched my enquiry about duct tape though. Bad idea and no one wants to come right out and say it? :birthday: I'll call Dive Tank tomorrow to see how much they'll sell the Apollo neck seal for locally (hopefully they have it in stock), but I really don't want to shell out a chunk of change for the wrist seals. So maybe I can *bulk up* my wrists with duct tape or something comparable rather than pushing up the seals and exposing more skin to the cold water?

#69 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:00 PM

Thx for the ongoing replies! :birthday:

I notice no one touched my enquiry about duct tape though. Bad idea and no one wants to come right out and say it? :birthday: I'll call Dive Tank tomorrow to see how much they'll sell the Apollo neck seal for locally (hopefully they have it in stock), but I really don't want to shell out a chunk of change for the wrist seals. So maybe I can *bulk up* my wrists with duct tape or something comparable rather than pushing up the seals and exposing more skin to the cold water?

Even though I do carry duct tape around in my car for diving emergencies I wouldn't get too clever with the duct tape regarding bulking up your wrists. Latex seals work well against your skin...I don't know how well it does against duct tape. You may be creating a bigger problem.

I would just push the seals up, wear a little more fleece under your undergarment, and talk to the dive shop to make sure that you are using the best fitting drysuit that they have for you.

Are you sure you are getting water in through the neck seal? If not I would hold off on the Apollo Bio Seals as well and determine if you really are allergic or not.

Edited by gcbryan, 19 July 2007 - 11:02 PM.

#70 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:20 PM

Well, I distinctly remember getting a rush of water down the back of my neck in the pool. Mind you, I was standing up and trying to get a look at the weights the instructor put around my ankles so that's what did it in at least that first instance. ;) I do recall though that the neck seal felt about as tight as the wrist seals did -- not very.

I hate to be a pest, but perhaps before I go back for my ocean dives, I'll pay the shop a visit and try to find a suit with tighter seals. If I can't then I'll look into the Apollo neck seal. A diver on another board didn't find the Apollo to be the solution for her, so there's no guarantee it'll work for me either.

#71 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:11 AM

Well, I distinctly remember getting a rush of water down the back of my neck in the pool. Mind you, I was standing up and trying to get a look at the weights the instructor put around my ankles so that's what did it in at least that first instance. ;) I do recall though that the neck seal felt about as tight as the wrist seals did -- not very.

I hate to be a pest, but perhaps before I go back for my ocean dives, I'll pay the shop a visit and try to find a suit with tighter seals. If I can't then I'll look into the Apollo neck seal. A diver on another board didn't find the Apollo to be the solution for her, so there's no guarantee it'll work for me either.

Sounds like a good idea :twist:

#72 netmage

netmage

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:58 AM

Thx for the ongoing replies! :twist:

I notice no one touched my enquiry about duct tape though. Bad idea and no one wants to come right out and say it? ;) I'll call Dive Tank tomorrow to see how much they'll sell the Apollo neck seal for locally (hopefully they have it in stock), but I really don't want to shell out a chunk of change for the wrist seals. So maybe I can *bulk up* my wrists with duct tape or something comparable rather than pushing up the seals and exposing more skin to the cold water?

What works, works....

Two weekends ago we were up at the caves getting ready to dive Cow... Lesley pulls her suit out of the back of her truck, and notices a 1-2" gash along the seal.. Oh no.... Fortunately a sidemounter nearby had a roll of duct tape, and patched it right up... It depends on the use as to if it'll work.., but its wonderfull stuff. Not all seal 'issues' can be remedied, all I can say is try it....
"I aim to misbehave...."

#73 The Black Sheep

The Black Sheep

Getting started

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Dive Master/Tech I/AN/ADP/Trimix I/Technical Gas Blender ...the list goes on!
  • Logged Dives:Hah, LOGGED dives, eh? ...300+

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:34 AM

Thx for the ongoing replies! :P

I notice no one touched my enquiry about duct tape though. Bad idea and no one wants to come right out and say it? :teeth: I'll call Dive Tank tomorrow to see how much they'll sell the Apollo neck seal for locally (hopefully they have it in stock), but I really don't want to shell out a chunk of change for the wrist seals. So maybe I can *bulk up* my wrists with duct tape or something comparable rather than pushing up the seals and exposing more skin to the cold water?

Duct tape works, but I prefer bicycle inner-tube for a temporary solution. I used them as "bracelets" back when I had a DUI Tri-lam. I go crushed neoprene now (when I DO actually go dry, I normally go semi-dry to 45F), and because of the bulk of the suit, I have not had any problems, since I turn the ends of the wrist seals back in on themselves a few inches.

N

Edited by The Black Sheep, 20 July 2007 - 11:37 AM.

#74 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:03 PM

My daughter had some issues with gear being too large when she was in commercial diving school.

They made a few extra "neoprene seals" that she wore under the suits seals.
The extra seals added a more bulk to her neck so that the hardhat seals would work for her without leaking.
She just doesn't have the 16" plus neck like her classmates.

I would check and see if your LDS has some old neoprene you could make a collar and bracklets out of.
Sew some velrco on the ends and see how they work.
This did the trick for my daughter.. You know how tiny she is :teeth:

Sorry for not remembering this before.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#75 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:01 PM

My daughter had some issues with gear being too large when she was in commercial diving school.

They made a few extra "neoprene seals" that she wore under the suits seals.
The extra seals added a more bulk to her neck so that the hardhat seals would work for her without leaking.
She just doesn't have the 16" plus neck like her classmates.

I would check and see if your LDS has some old neoprene you could make a collar and bracklets out of.
Sew some velrco on the ends and see how they work.
This did the trick for my daughter.. You know how tiny she is :birthday:

Sorry for not remembering this before.

Almost as tiny as her mother. :birthday:

I called the LDS today to see if they had any suits with smaller seals and they did get a new medium in that may have smaller (less stretched out?) seals. I'll pay them a visit tomorrow to see if the size small suit will fit and if the seals are any smaller. If not, the woman I spoke with said they've got something they call a *dog collar* that people use in this instance.

Just for Perrone I'll remember to check what the undergarments are like. :P The LDS suggested I look into merino wool underwear rather than just a wicking material. Wool wicks, yes? :cool1:

Oh! This is getting exciting!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users