• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

AUCTION - Second "Dream Dive" in the Bahamas...

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#61 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:56 AM

Just as a side note.... I love the idea of "buddy-bidding", but maybe we
should give the folks that have offered to "match" the winning bid a chance to put a cap on their contribution before we open it up to that. It could get MUCH larger than they anticipated very quickly. That would be a good thing, but I'd hate to see a wonderful gesture turn into a burden. Just my thoughts....

OK, that makes it a $275 bid (DiverBabs) + $550 (ScubaTex) + $275 (Me) + $250 (catfish) = $1350

Thanks for both the bid DB and the thoughtful post. While I never expected it to get this high, I will honour what I said and match the winning bid amount dollar for dollar. Wenchie, you do take fourth party, postdated checks drawn on an account from the Royal Hegemony Bank of Slovakistan, right!? :thankyou:

I would love to match ScubaTex with a doubling, but my two charitable projects from Grenada cost a little more than I expected. Plus, I still have to pay off the actual trip and airfare off my CC. Would not be much of a Dream Dive if I didn't show up... Unfortunately, I am not the philanthropist I would like to be quite yet... :cheerleader:

Still, every little bit helps. If we go to Wounded Warriors and say if you cover the airfare we will cover the trip cost, then that may work to get more folks down there. Certainly a deal to them.

FYI - Kilt waist size should be 32". Not sure about the inseam. I may need someone to help me measure it. ~ahem~

So c'mon folks bid it up... Even at four digits it is still a heck of a deal... :diver:
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#62 cat fish

cat fish

"Atocha Queen"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • Board Status:online
  • Cert Level:15+ years diving. Rec -Tek-Cavern
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 02 September 2007 - 01:16 PM

ALSO, in the spirit of buddies, there's no reason why some buddy-bidding can't occur, is there? TWO buddies could get together and drive that bid up to $251, dontcha think??

Just as a side note.... I love the idea of "buddy-bidding", but maybe we should give the folks that have offered to "match" the winning bid a chance to put a cap on their contribution before we open it up to that. It could get MUCH larger than they anticipated very quickly. That would be a good thing, but I'd hate to see a wonderful gesture turn into a burden. Just my thoughts....

Yowie, that would indeed be terrible, but I actually meant exactly the opposite. I thought the bidding was basically at its end point. Going up a mere $1 to $251 would mean that my bet would be bested, and I'd then have to ante up (my goal, of course). We'd get twice the cash with no penalty. Folks who are matching would have basically no extra burden, since they would match on only $1 more, and people for whom a single bet is now too steep might be able to join forces and participate, which is also great. At this point it looks like we have enough to send a warrior to Bonaire. It seems that we do not need to ratchet up our bids further, but could have fun with it and make more opportunities for others. Does that make sense?

SHAD... 32" waist no problem. Let me ask about this possible length: 27" (measuring a kilt as I speak). That wouldn't put you in league with Britney Spears, would it?? She's kind of cornered the visible butt market. Otherwise, I'll have to get out the seam ripper. (Don't be afraid: I would do that BEFORE you don it). :diver:

#63 scubagoddess

scubagoddess

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Cert Level:MAster Daiver / Rescue / Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:104+

Posted 02 September 2007 - 05:36 PM

Ok, well now that we have added some pizzaz with the kilt :teeth: , I can continue here...not to mention the thrill of being able to offer a Bonaire trip to a Wounded Warrior or two! :lmao:

So on that note....I will up my bid to $300 (and I will expect the kilt to be brought on the Bonaire trip too if I happen to be the winning bidder so I can redeem my raincheck!!!) :lmao: Besides that, the Wounded Warriors deserve to see what earned them such a fabulous trip don't you agree? :D

My bid is good for the long haul as well...win or not I will make good on my pledge.
There is not a shred of evidence that life is serious. ~ Ogden Nash

Be yourself, everybody else is already taken. ~ Oscar Wilde

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind! ~ Dr Seuss

#64 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:09 PM

Booo! Setting auction rules after it has begun? surely not?

Actually it just reinforces your initial call for me in a kilt. :teeth: Seems to have worked as catfish is bringing three...!
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#65 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:18 PM

So on that note....I will up my bid to $300 (and I will expect the kilt to be brought on the Bonaire trip too if I happen to be the winning bidder so I can redeem my raincheck!!!) Besides that, the Wounded Warriors deserve to see what earned them such a fabulous trip don't you agree?

That makes it a $300 bid (ScubaGoddess) + $275 (DiverBabs) + $600 (ScubaTex) + $300 (Me) + $250 (catfish) = $1725

I don't think Mr. Pitt or Miss Jolie would generate that kind of action for one dive... OK, maybe Miss Jolie, but I am Botox free. :teeth:

#66 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:06 PM

This is GREAT!!!

I just hope Miss Jolie & Mr. Pitt don't start bidding.

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#67 cat fish

cat fish

"Atocha Queen"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • Board Status:online
  • Cert Level:15+ years diving. Rec -Tek-Cavern
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:37 PM

Actually it just reinforces your initial call for me in a kilt. :teeth: Seems to have worked as catfish is bringing three...!

Hey, wait a minute, bud. I OWN three, but I'm only bringing one. You are not getting my family tartan (MacKinnon), and the second one (Prince Edward Island tartan) would be teeny teeny for you. So you get the Lady Diana tartan, which has yards and yards of material, thanks to my mom. But here's the SCARY part... that baby is 100% wool. Aside from the fact that you will smell like a sheep, have you taken SHRINKAGE into consideration?? I think it will be a very long week on that boat!!!

On a serious note: If I can find the Black Watch in cotton fabric, I will also make you one in that tartan, as the Black Watch would truly honor to Wounded Warriors. But, if not, you'll wear Lady Diana tartan, and will be a vision in blue. I retired the kilt long ago and my mom, who gave me this decades ago, would be pleased!

#68 scubagoddess

scubagoddess

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:45 PM

But here's the SCARY part... that baby is 100% wool. Aside from the fact that you will smell like a sheep

Do sharks like sheep?!! :teeth:

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind! ~ Dr Seuss

#69 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,714 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:23 PM

Oh my gosh...leave this thread unattended for a few hours and its out of control!

Shababy...thank you for keeping track of the bidding...I'm falling behind! I'll just copy your talley into the first thread!

And thank you ScubaGoddess....the generosity of this group is amazing...

Oh yes...is the bet now speedo, no speedo or tartan????

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#70 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:53 PM

On a serious note: If I can find the Black Watch in cotton fabric, I will also make you one in that tartan, as the Black Watch would truly honor to Wounded Warriors. But, if not, you'll wear Lady Diana tartan, and will be a vision in blue. I retired the kilt long ago and my mom, who gave me this decades ago, would be pleased!

Wearing the Black Watch Tartan would be appropriate not only for the Wounded Warriors, but for several other reasons.

First there is a Canadian Black Watch Regiment which ties in nicely. :) Second, members of the Black Watch have included Ian Flemming (007 fame), Archibald Wavell (Field Marshall and WW II veteran) and J. B. S. Haldane noted British biologist and geneticist. His father was John Scott Haldane who invented the gas mask in WW I and also developed decompression tables. I think that is about the best tie in we can get. :teeth:

Nothing against Lady Di, but Black Watch Tartan brings out the color in my eyes... :D Here is a sample...
Posted Image

Wenchie, if I am in a kilt then I can pretty much guarantee no Speedo beneath... :lmao:

Cat - I measured 27" length from my waist with a tape measure and it reaches about halfway down my knee. So perfect length. This is what I do at 3AM when I cannot sleep... :lmao:

#71 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:57 PM

In a perfect world Petra Nemcova would be wading in with her check book right about now... :teeth:

#72 BoomhowerSpeaks

BoomhowerSpeaks

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:10

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:17 AM

In a perfect world Petra Nemcova would be wading in with her check book right about now... :cheerleader:

If that happened I might be forced to throw myself into to the fray, I'd hate to see you die of exhaustion or something :diver:.

#73 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:08 AM

If that happened I might be forced to throw myself into to the fray, I'd hate to see you die of exhaustion or something :cool1:.

(Best British Accent) Damned decent of you old man...! However, I will handle this one myself... :)

I updated the first post with the most up to date bid and who contributed what component of it.

$1725 to date... Thanks everyone...

#74 scubagoddess

scubagoddess

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:39 AM

Just so you can be accurate on the first post.....my bid is for no speedo...kilt only thank you! :cool1:

#75 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,714 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:56 AM

Just so you can be accurate on the first post.....my bid is for no speedo...kilt only thank you! :diver:

Gotcha! You are now bidded correctly! :lmao:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users