• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

"Assigned Buddies"

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#16 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 28 March 2004 - 10:53 AM

I've been on boats in California that will allow you to dive solo, and there have been a few times that I opted to dive alone and not worry about problem buddies, and had a fantastic dive. But I think on those occaisions I missed out on the chance to add a new friend to my life. I guess I'll never know. I usually left the boat every bit as much a stranger to everyone on board as when I showed up at the dock, even though I really enjoyed the diving.

Hey Coo's Toe...you just described one of the main reasons that SingleDivers.com was formed....we go dive...we have a buddy or we will sometimes dive solo and we leave without hardly knowing any other people from the trip.

We had 26 strangers....NO I didn't say "Strange"....I said "Strangers" who all joined us in Cozumel in January, most of whom did not know a soul on the trip...not even me. I think it was safe to say that 25 (one gal couldn't go at the last minute due to a family emergency) people not only got to know everyone else on the trip REALLY WELL...but made FRIENDS on the dive trip as well! :twist: Many of those friendships have lasted well past the trip and continue here on this board!!! :) (In fact...it wasn't our plan but we even had a few 'cupid connections' as well! ) :smurf:

So in addition to KNOWING that you'll go on a dive trip where you might not know people at first BUT WILL KNOW EVERYONE after joining us....we also save you money on our trips either via your membership or thru our group buying power! (Yes believe it or not...thanks to DiveScoop's marketing genius...we have some awesome buying power already and that will only grow as we grow!!!) :D

So what can you all do?

1. Come dive with us and MAKE LOTS of NEW FRIENDS!
2. Chat with others on the board and maybe line up your next dive buddy here!
3. Come dive with me...heck I'm on EVERY trip!!!
4. Tell others about us so that they can not only dive awesome destinations BUT they too can make some really great new friends as well......and IF by chance you make a 'cupid connection'....Woo Hoo!!!
5. If you have any marketing or sales connections...please see if they are interested in us....that's how we got on ScubaRadio yesterday!
6. Make LOTS of suggestions on how to make SingleDivers.com the coolest place for single divers to hang out at!!!

Thank to everyone!! -wreck wench :P

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#17 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 29 March 2004 - 06:14 AM

Exactly! This site isn't about this board, it's about encouraging people to dive and making it easy for them to dive. The board exists to further that purpose. I dived with two of our members this weekend and had a grand time!
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#18 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 29 March 2004 - 10:00 AM

This is a really great topic for me because I did have a permanent dive buddy but don't any longer. So, I've gotten used to diving with one person exclusively & we knew each others habits rather well. Don't get me wrong- we'll still be dive buddies but I know that I will be venturing out on my own more this year. Based on what you guys I think that I am going to want to compile a list of questions for possible buddies.
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#19 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 10:07 AM

This is a really great topic for me because I did have a permanent dive buddy but don't any longer. So, I've gotten used to diving with one person exclusively & we knew each others habits rather well. Don't get me wrong- we'll still be dive buddies but I know that I will be venturing out on my own more this year. Based on what you guys I think that I am going to want to compile a list of questions for possible buddies.

Great!!! We've done a wonderful service if we help even one diver have a better dive and dive safer as a result!!! Woo Hoo!!!! :diver:

I can't wait to see you on one of our trips!!! Can you join us in June for Bonaire???

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#20 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 10:19 AM

Marvel,

I've gotten used to diving with one person exclusively & we knew each others habits rather well.

Be prepared. Few of your buddies will be as attentive.

Walter

DSSW,

WWW™

#21 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 01:31 PM

[/QUOTE]Be prepared. Few of your buddies will be as attentive.

Walter

I didn't say he was especially attentive, Walter- just that I was used to his flighty ways.... :clapping:

Anyway, it will be fun to dive with different people. One other big concern is their air consumption. I'm pretty good on air & dislike having a dive cut short because someone I am with is not.
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#22 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 01:36 PM

I didn't say he was especially attentive, Walter- just that I was used to his flighty ways....

Well, I don't know how he is all the time, but I watched you together at Venice Beach. He looked very attentive that day.

Walter

DSSW,

WWW™

#23 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 30 March 2004 - 04:14 PM

Hi everyone, thought I'd share a few of my experiences....

The worst "assigned buddy" experience I had happened while diving off the coast of NC. The person who was to be my buddy showed up at the dive boat- It was only 6am and he was already smoking a cigar and drinking a beer! It turned out to be a "near-beer"/non-alchoholic drink but it still didn't build my confidence in him, to say the least. I found out (later) that he had not done any diving for 2 years, but he didnt see the need to do a refresher. (this is why now I always ask lots of questions). Frankly, I am suprized they let him dive. The dive was relatively easy- 60 foot depth, no current, good viz. Yet he used up his air very quickly, and next thing I knew he was flying up the ascent line. The DM chased after him, despite that fact that his computer was "screaming at him" to slow down. I made my way slowly up the line (no use having all 3 of us get bent!). By the time I surfaced, the DM had my buddy safely on board and was ready to go back down with me. I asked what the dude's problem was, and the DM said the guy "forgot" you are supposed to ascend slowly!!! Talk about an accident ready to happen! Fortunately, no one got hurt and we (DM and I) finished our dive and had a good, safe experience.

The best "assigned buddy" experience was when I got hooked up with an instructor (who was diving on his day off) in Key Largo. I was just getting into U/W photography, and he guided me to some great sites and I got some good pic's.

Another good time was when they hooked me up with this cutie cop from Indiana....if he only knew what I was thinking he might have arrested me for public indecency! Ha ha.....

Laura
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#24 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 04:52 PM

Another good time was when they hooked me up with this cutie cop from Indiana....if he only knew what I was thinking he might have arrested me for public indecency! Ha ha.....

Laura

Personally I like this one myself!!! Oh girl...you are going to be way too much fun on a trip!!! :dazzler:

formerly...

#25 HDrider

HDrider

Getting started

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Divemaster

Posted 30 March 2004 - 08:34 PM

Assigned buddies,

I have had the pleasure of being assigned to many different divers of many experience levels, for different diving conditions. Communication is the key here. Hopefully you will find out who your buddy will be prior to leaving the dock (rather than seconds before you roll in the water this can happen!) this will give you a chance to get to know each other before you are in the water. Take advantage of this time, watch/assist your buddy set up his/her gear, this can give you clues of what to expect in the water as far as experience. Note their gear, is it new? Is it rental gear? Is it old gear that has not been used for a long time? Is it up to date gear that is well used? All of this will give you hints of what to expect on your dive. Talk to them about the dive plan. Are you more familiar with the dive site or are they? Who will be the dive leader? What depth are you comfortable diving? What Depth are they? Your plan should not exceed any ones comfort zone. On a first dive with someone you should not push limits at all. Rather get a feel for each other in the water (not cop a feel). It may be best for the diver of least experience to lead the dive this way they are setting the pace and comfort zone, the more experienced diver should be able to adjust easily.

These are just a few that come to mind, hope you find these ideas useful.

Tom
Luke 5:9 For he and all who were with him were astonished at the catch of fish which they had taken

#26 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 08:41 PM

Assigned buddies,

I have had the pleasure of being assigned to many different divers of many experience levels, for different diving conditions. Communication is the key here. Hopefully you will find out who your buddy will be prior to leaving the dock (rather than seconds before you roll in the water this can happen!) this will give you a chance to get to know each other before you are in the water. Take advantage of this time, watch/assist your buddy set up his/her gear, this can give you clues of what to expect in the water as far as experience. Note their gear, is it new? Is it rental gear? Is it old gear that has not been used for a long time? Is it up to date gear that is well used? All of this will give you hints of what to expect on your dive. Talk to them about the dive plan. Are you more familiar with the dive site or are they? Who will be the dive leader? What depth are you comfortable diving? What Depth are they? Your plan should not exceed any ones comfort zone. On a first dive with someone you should not push limits at all. Rather get a feel for each other in the water (not cop a feel). It may be best for the diver of least experience to lead the dive this way they are setting the pace and comfort zone, the more experienced diver should be able to adjust easily.

Tom

Spoken like a TRUE dive buddy whose had a lot of different ones!!! LOL!!! Great job...thanks!!! -ww :dazzler:

formerly...

#27 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 07:15 AM

Laura

Personally I like this one myself!!! Oh girl...you are going to be way too much fun on a trip!!! :twist:

Oh, single diving is sounding better & better! :-D
Marvel

Posted Image

#28 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 07:17 AM

Assigned buddies,

Tom

Good advice from all of you! I tend to be an observer so this approach suits my personality. You're right about the communication aspect though- I'm seeing this theme echoed over & over again.

Edited by Marvel, 31 March 2004 - 07:18 AM.

Marvel

Posted Image

#29 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 07:43 AM

I didn't say he was especially attentive, Walter- just that I was used to his flighty ways....

Well, I don't know how he is all the time, but I watched you together at Venice Beach. He looked very attentive that day.

Walter

Yeah, he was great that day. Since the surf conditions were new to me & I had a (big) :twist: problem initially, he really took good care of me. We actually went out later after the rest of you guys bailed due to the weather & had a great dive! Mike found lots of teeth while I just floated around with my eyes closed revelling in the tranqulity. The viz was so bad (I know it was normal for you) that I didn't even care about looking for teeth. My kind of dive- everyone came back happy!

Edited by Marvel, 31 March 2004 - 07:43 AM.

Marvel

Posted Image

#30 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 07:58 AM

If you remember, I didn't bail. I had a great dive!

DSSW,

WWW™

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users