• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

"Assigned Buddies"

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#31 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 31 March 2004 - 08:51 AM

If you remember, I didn't bail. I had a great dive!

Actually, after everyone left because of the rain, Mike & I waited it out & went back in for a second dive. That was AFTER we went to the local dive shop to replace my gloves & mask..... :twist: We were determined not to let ourselves be conquered! :ph34r:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#32 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 31 March 2004 - 01:11 PM

Marvel,

We really needed to be going. I think most people had lots of fun that day in spite of the large breakers and rain. Was it 4 or 5 lost masks that day?

How warm must the water be before I can talk you into joining me for another dive?

Walter
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#33 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 31 March 2004 - 01:47 PM

Marvel,

We really needed to be going. I think most people had lots of fun that day in spite of the large breakers and rain. Was it 4 or 5 lost masks that day?

How warm must the water be before I can talk you into joining me for another dive?

Walter

Well, I tried a dive a couple of weeks ago- nighttime w/water temps of about 74?degrees. I lasted about 20 minutes but there were 5 of us going & 4 (including me) waited in the water for 15 minutes for the last diver to get in the water....

I told them ahead of time that I might not last long & would just bail out if I had to. So, grabbed a fin, waved "bye-bye" & headed in really quickly!!! :)

I figure when it gets up to 78-80 I'll be OK. May? Sooner? I hope so- I want to go on that Spiegel Grove dive in early May- got to get my Nitox & AOW so I'm not harrassed by boat operators should I choose to go on dives alone!
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#34 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 01:50 PM

OK, I'll be watching. I'll let you know when I see 78° F.

DSSW,

WWW™

#35 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 31 March 2004 - 03:34 PM

I figure when it gets up to 78-80 I'll be OK.

[ figure when it gets up to 78-80 I'll be OK]

GOOD LORD people! you all are spoiled! (teasing...)

I have dove in a wetsuit in water as cold as 49 degrees. I get all giddy when the water temp hits 60 degrees. what's a little "Ice Cream headache" matter anyway!

Not meaning to dis-respect anyone, just makes me want to move somewhere warm all that much more.

cold hands.....warm heart...that's me!
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#36 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 05:39 PM

I have dove in a wetsuit in water as cold as 49 degrees.

I've also dived in 49° F water in my ¼" wetsuit. That was actually in Florida during a really cold winter a few years ago. When I retire, I'll move south.

Walter

DSSW,

WWW™

#37 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 07:35 AM

I've also dived in 49° F water in my ¼" wetsuit.

That's what I had (1/4 inch) plus hood & thick gloves. Everyone else was wearing dry suits. It was a nice dive, but after 20 minutes I had enough! I love to dive but I am not a masochist!!!

The cool thing about being a northern diver, is that after getting used to wearing all that neoprene, it feel so nice to dive in a 3 mil or shorty when we do go somewhere warm. I feel so free and un-encumbered by comparison.

But like I always say (viewer discretion advised...)

"Diving is a lot like sex...even when it's bad, it's still pretty darn good!"

L

#38 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 01 April 2004 - 07:52 AM

The cool thing about being a northern diver, is that after getting used to wearing all that neoprene, it feel so nice to dive in a 3 mil or shorty when we do go somewhere warm. I feel so free and un-encumbered by comparison.

I couldn't agree with this statement more I learned to dive in New Zealand which has very similar water temps to CA. After learning in a 7 Mil farmer john diving in a shorty on the GBR felt like being naked. I'm glad I learned in a thick suit cause it sure makes it easy to dive in warm water. Probably not the case the other way around. Now that I'm drysuit trained I need to get a dry suit. Anybody have any recomemdations? I'm looking at DUI but haven't decided yet.

- Chuck

#39 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 01 April 2004 - 07:54 AM

I have dove in a wetsuit in water as cold as 49 degrees.

I've also dived in 49° F water in my ¼" wetsuit. That was actually in Florida during a really cold winter a few years ago. When I retire, I'll move south.

Walter

Well I bet you didn't dive for LONG ...or should I say it was a very 'short' dive I"m sure!!! :2cool:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#40 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 08:05 AM

GOOD LORD people! you all are spoiled! (teasing...)

I have dove in a wetsuit in water as cold as 49 degrees.  I get all giddy when the water temp hits 60 degrees. what's a little "Ice Cream headache" matter anyway!

Not meaning to dis-respect anyone, just makes me want to move somewhere warm all that much more.

cold hands.....warm heart...that's me!

Well girl....you've just captured every GUY'S CONCERN regarding women and diving in quote unquote cold waters....we think that 70-80 is cold when in fact it is not. :wow:

I think I'm going to name you the President of the "Cold Water SingleDivers Group" :2cool: cuz you are real 'trooper'....hey speaking of which...what ever happened to the cutie cop??? :anna: Inquiring blondes want to know??? LOL!!!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#41 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 08:05 AM

It was a 25 minute dive. I made 2 dives last year in California with Dr. Bill (in a shorty) and Sapphire in 51° F water with the same suit. They were 51 minutes and 38 minutes.

DSSW,

WWW™

#42 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 08:07 AM

Now that I'm drysuit trained I need to get a dry suit. Anybody have any recomemdations? I'm looking at DUI but haven't decided yet.

- Chuck

Hey Chuck...why don' t you open up a new thread under General Diving as I have some recommendations for you on drysuits. I'm in the process of buying one myself! :2cool:

formerly...

#43 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 08:20 AM

Well girl....you've just captured every GUY'S CONCERN regarding women and diving in quote unquote cold waters....we think that 70-80 is cold when in fact it is not.

I think I'm going to name you the President of the "Cold Water SingleDivers Group"cuz you are real 'trooper'....hey speaking of which...what ever happened to the cutie cop??? Inquiring blondes want to know??? LOL!!!

One of the dive clubs I'm in is pretty hard-core, a lot of the members dive year-round. We have a large group of ice-divers. I have never tried that (not yet anyway) but I have gone with them for surface support. I've seen pictures and video from under the ice and the effect is just breath-taking.

I loved the trooper pun - very funny! Nothing happened with the Indy cop, because he was already taken. Hence, this is why I am on this board!!

Laura

#44 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 09:25 AM

I loved the trooper pun - very funny! Nothing happened with the Indy cop, because he was already taken. Hence, this is why I am on this board!!

Laura

And GLAD we are that you are here!!! :2cool: Welcome again....you will fit right in...not sure where that is...but certainly right in!!! LOL!!! :wow:

formerly...

#45 sea nmf

sea nmf

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level: Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 500 - I stopped counting

Posted 01 April 2004 - 12:16 PM

Well, all this communication and observation advice is solid. Let's say you've done all that and don't feel comfortable.

My question may be one that any adult should know the answer to, but how do you delicately refuse to dive with this person? Do you just go up to the dive master or whomever assigned you or are you direct with the diver?

I realize that it is your life and hurting someone's feelings shouldn't be your first concern, but I'd like to hear how some of you in this situation handled getting out of the assignment and what the fall-out was.

-becky

Edited by sea nmf, 01 April 2004 - 12:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users