• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

so I'm on an online dating site and. . .

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 pocahontas

pocahontas

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:165

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:58 PM

The answer to whether a seasoned lady is marketable is fairly easy. Ask that question on a site full of 20 year olds, and the answer will be no. But then, they are young and stupid, and with age will realize that the best is yet to come. Ask a bunch of worldly, smart guys, and the answer is yes.

In all seriousness, there is not a person on this planet that can't find someone who thinks they're hot. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so keep putting yourself out there, you will find someone if you are looking...

I don't know about that. I think most of the guys that hit on me are in the 20-25 range. Of course that is pretty much who you meet in the snowboard terrain park I guess....

Yeah but you could melt the snow under their boards!

Aw...I bet you say that to all the girls!
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Stopping by Woods - Robert. Frost

#32 Hipshot

Hipshot

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 08 September 2007 - 08:54 AM

I will say this about online dating. Generally, I've met a better class of women that I've met in more conventional venues. Even where there was no chemistry, there was almost always a mutual respect. I haven't met any "bimbos" online over the few years I've been doing this. I can't say that about most of the singles gatherings that I've experienced.

On the other hand, many of the women I've met online claim to have had a much different experience. Some of the men they've met, if I'm to believe their accounts, have been real creeps. Then again, I don't know what my legacy is with them.

Rick

:usflag:

People wish to learn to swim and at the same time to keep one foot on the ground.--Marcel Proust

#33 robcgould

robcgould

Getting started

• Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Cert Level:IDC Staff Instructor
  • Logged Dives:I have lost too many log books to really know, 2000+

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:14 AM

As a new member to both this forum as well as the 'dating scene', it seems an odd question to me.

Women and 'marketability' just don't mix.

Are we trying to 'sell' ourselves (or simply looking for another place to put a pair of quote marks?)?

I remember the dating scene (vaguely) (great, I've switched to parenthetical statements!!) and the jest of it for me was getting to know someone and experiancing a bit of the better parts of life with them.
Life's best times are the fun parts and as divers we know the best way to have fun! What a better date than diving! It is also an awesome tool. When we dive, we literally place our life in the hands of our buddy (or we should anyway). if you find that you can't trust someone to be there for you during such an obvious and necessary event, you should take it to heart that that person will probably not be there for you during life's little hicups when trust is needed.

Are there really any women out there who want a casual relationship? There are some of us quality guys that are also not interested in the big "M" at least right now. Shouldn't true frienship DEVELOP into more?
'Good Divers are ALWAYS Learning'

When you jump out of a plane, you are dead until you do something!

I crack me up! - ALF

#34 C-Food

C-Food

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Cert Level:in training (beginner)

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:00 AM

As a new member to both this forum as well as the 'dating scene', it seems an odd question to me.

Are we trying to 'sell' ourselves (or simply looking for another place to put a pair of quote marks?)?

I remember the dating scene (vaguely) (great, I've switched to parenthetical statements!!) and the jest of it for me was getting to know someone and experiancing a bit of the better parts of life with them.
Life's best times are the fun parts and as divers we know the best way to have fun! What a better date than diving! It is also an awesome tool. When we dive, we literally place our life in the hands of our buddy (or we should anyway). if you find that you can't trust someone to be there for you during such an obvious and necessary event, you should take it to heart that that person will probably not be there for you during life's little hicups when trust is needed.

Are there really any women out there who want a casual relationship? There are some of us quality guys that are also not interested in the big "M" at least right now. Shouldn't true frienship DEVELOP into more?

Well Rob, the question comes up often with a lot of women I know, even though we may not phrase it exactly the same way.

I remember a line out of "Six Feet Under" where Kathy Bates stated that women over 50 are invisible to the rest of the world - by the way, I DON'T believe that statement, it was just funny the way the line was delivered (Kathy Bate's character was shoplifting cosmetics at the time!). The question (and the way it was phrased) came off of another board and I just threw it out there on this board just for discussion.

I think there are a lot of women out there who would love to have a casual relationship over marriage. There are a lot of things I'd like to do, places I'd like to go, etc. that are a lot more fun if there was someone along to share it with, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels like that.

#35 jholley309

jholley309

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:20-ish

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:55 AM

I haven't met any "bimbos" online over the few years I've been doing this. I can't say that about most of the singles gatherings that I've experienced.

Well, for my part one of the things I looked for in an online profile was acceptable spelling, grammar, and use of punctuation. That alone tended to weed out the bimbos...

Cheers!

Jim
Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is what you do in spite of your fear.

Every man has fear. Any man who has no fear belongs in an institution. Or in Special Forces.

#36 Topless

Topless

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD
  • Logged Dives:138

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:20 AM

I will say this about online dating. Generally, I've met a better class of women that I've met in more conventional venues. Even where there was no chemistry, there was almost always a mutual respect. I haven't met any "bimbos" online over the few years I've been doing this. I can't say that about most of the singles gatherings that I've experienced.

On the other hand, many of the women I've met online claim to have had a much different experience. Some of the men they've met, if I'm to believe their accounts, have been real creeps. Then again, I don't know what my legacy is with them.

I have to go with the ladies on this one. I've become very jaded with Internet dating. I haven't met a lot of women, but I can't seem to find many that are truthful. About looks, age, interests, name................

I had one lady I met a year or two ago, we wrote on e-mail for a week, talked on the phone for a week, then I asked her to lunch. As I drop her off after lunch and say goodbye, she says "Oh, that's not my name, my name is XXXXX. I don't use my real name on the Internet because you never know who you might meet." After having her describe to me at lunch how she liked to be tied up, bent over sawhorses, blindfolded, etc -- ON THE FIRST DATE -- I had already decided there wouldn't be a second one. Then when she told me about the name BS..................

#37 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:04 AM

After having her describe to me at lunch how she liked to be tied up, bent over sawhorses, blindfolded, etc -- ON THE FIRST DATE

What's her number?
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#38 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:49 PM

I beg to differ. The phrasing may (or may not) seem a bit distasteful, but it is a viable, if unanswerable question. Anybody who is about to search for a date, whether for a long term relationship or a one night stand, asks themselves how attractive they are to type of date they are looking for.

Women are notorious for using hair, makeup, clothes and jewlerly to hide, accent, or misdirect a man's eye. Guys do it too. Skin blemishes, chest, butt, legs, and even age can be manipulated, and often is. Kids try to make themselves look older, adults try to look younger, all in an effort to attract attention. In other words, to be more "marketable". And yes, when you are on the dating scene, you are indeed trying to sell yourself.

I think Society is starting to move more into this direction, and I think that is good. Personally, to me, the only benefit of marriage is the tax breaks. Honestly. I can remain loving and faithful, and be a fulltime in house dad to my kids without a marriage certificate. I can even buy and wear a ring to show I am in a commited relationship.

I have heard that marriage is important because it carries an incentive to stay in the relationship. I say BS. If you care enough about your SO to have kids with them, but not enough to stay faithfull, you're gonna cheat whether you are married or not. And to those who argue that unmarried families or same-sex couples are upsetting the "Sanctity of Marriage" should just be beaten until they stop breathing when they are cought cheating or abusing their spouses, as a good percentage of the loudmouths screaming and yelling are hypocrits and have had more than one affiar.

That being said, I intend to get married one day, and to do so before I have kids. But that is my choice, and if someone else wants to be a family without that piece of paper, I could care less, and wish them all the luck Ihope to have.
Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

#39 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 12 September 2007 - 01:01 PM

I beg to differ. The phrasing may (or may not) seem a bit distasteful, but it is a viable, if unanswerable question. Anybody who is about to search for a date, whether for a long term relationship or a one night stand, asks themselves how attractive they are to type of date they are looking for.

Women are notorious for using hair, makeup, clothes and jewlerly to hide, accent, or misdirect a man's eye. Guys do it too. Skin blemishes, chest, butt, legs, and even age can be manipulated, and often is. Kids try to make themselves look older, adults try to look younger, all in an effort to attract attention. In other words, to be more "marketable". And yes, when you are on the dating scene, you are indeed trying to sell yourself.

I think Society is starting to move more into this direction, and I think that is good. Personally, to me, the only benefit of marriage is the tax breaks. Honestly. I can remain loving and faithful, and be a fulltime in house dad to my kids without a marriage certificate. I can even buy and wear a ring to show I am in a commited relationship.

I have heard that marriage is important because it carries an incentive to stay in the relationship. I say BS. If you care enough about your SO to have kids with them, but not enough to stay faithfull, you're gonna cheat whether you are married or not. And to those who argue that unmarried families or same-sex couples are upsetting the "Sanctity of Marriage" should just be beaten until they stop breathing when they are cought cheating or abusing their spouses, as a good percentage of the loudmouths screaming and yelling are hypocrits and have had more than one affiar.

That being said, I intend to get married one day, and to do so before I have kids. But that is my choice, and if someone else wants to be a family without that piece of paper, I could care less, and wish them all the luck Ihope to have.

Unfortunately, its more than tax breaks. There are also sorts of legalities such as common property and rights to speak for the other partner that come into play. You really don't want to have to go to court just because you didn't get married to prove that a certain person is committed and can speak for you.

Its why domestic partnerships has become such a big issue. We start blurring the religous aspects of marriage with the legal aspects and you have a political hot potato.

#40 Topless

Topless

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 02:40 PM

Its why domestic partnerships has become such a big issue. We start blurring the religous aspects of marriage with the legal aspects and you have a political hot potato.

The religious and legal aspects of marriage have long been intertwined, and they never should have been.

There should be no reason in the world that I should have to get married so that my SO can make legal decisions for me. Marriage is a religious institution, not a legal one.

And anyone who thinks marriage will keep two people together is an idiot. How many of us know anyone under 40 who has never been divorced? If two people stay committed to one another, they will stay married. If they don't, they will get divorced. To think that two people will stay together simply because they are married is short sighted and delusional.

#41 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:35 PM

Marriage is definitely a legal matter. Why else do you need blood tests and a License to commit it.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#42 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:53 PM

Posted ImageModerator warning! As most of you are aware, there are certain topics that are taboo on SD, religion and politics being the big two. This thread appears to be treading upon one of those topics. We ask that you please refrain from discussion of religion in this thread and in all other threads on the board.

Now feel free to keep posting :)

#43 Topless

Topless

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:52 PM

Posted ImageModerator warning! As most of you are aware, there are certain topics that are taboo on SD, religion and politics being the big two. This thread appears to be treading upon one of those topics. We ask that you please refrain from discussion of religion in this thread and in all other threads on the board.

Now feel free to keep posting :)

Sorry........... Posted Image

#44 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:03 PM

No worries to anyone...just be mindful that certain topics evoke hard feelings almost as soon as you begin discussing them so we are just careful that's all! For the curious...here is a link to our community guidelines...check here and you'll be just fine!

This has been a very good topic....please continue!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#45 Topless

Topless

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 01:48 PM

This has been a very good topic....please continue!

OK, back on topic --

Women over 30 are "marketable". If any of them would like to make their sales pitch, my number is 555........... :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users