• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Belize Baby!

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#136 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 23 November 2007 - 08:33 AM

Since I have been away from a computer-did you dive at all at Turneffe Atoll? I found that to be the best diving in Belize, and I only got 3 dives there.

I don't believe we did. The only time we got close was when we went to the Blue Hole. We then dove Lighthouse reef and Half Moon Cay if memory serves me. I don't keep a logbook :P Those folks that do could verify it though.

We had very nice dives there.

Attached Images

• belize_map_large.jpg

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#137 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:29 AM

Since I have been away from a computer-did you dive at all at Turneffe Atoll? I found that to be the best diving in Belize, and I only got 3 dives there.

I don't believe we did. The only time we got close was when we went to the Blue Hole. We then dove Lighthouse reef and Half Moon Cay if memory serves me. I don't keep a logbook :P Those folks that do could verify it though.

We had very nice dives there.

I had Half Moon Caye and Long Caye written in my book. I thought they were dive sites on one of the atolls though, according to that pic you posted maybe not? I'm getting confused...
Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

#138 etski

etski

Getting started

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Cert Level:advanced open water diver
  • Logged Dives:36

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:51 AM

I don't believe we did. The only time we got close was when we went to the Blue Hole. We then dove Lighthouse reef and Half Moon Cay if memory serves me. I don't keep a logbook :P Those folks that do could verify it though. We had very nice dives there.

I had Half Moon Caye and Long Caye written in my book. I thought they were dive sites on one of the atolls though, according to that pic you posted maybe not? I'm getting confused...

If you were confused before, read this. :dancing: http://ambergriscaye...veturneffe.htmlIt says aquarium, which we dove, was , I'm not sure, I'm very confused? :fish2: :bam:

#139 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:41 PM

We did not dive Turneff....it is very much like where we did dive! We dove turneff when we did the Nekton liveaboard in April of this year.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#140 Ric

Ric

Getting started

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Cert Level:Assistant Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 1,000

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:19 AM

Sunday I surfaced in the Quarry to a snow storm

:cool1: That is incredible! ..........I would need a sweater, right???? :)

And then some. Of course I was in my Dry Suit.

What is a dry suit?? lol If I need more than 3mm I don't dive it!!

#141 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 24 November 2007 - 02:45 PM

Sunday I surfaced in the Quarry to a snow storm

:cool1: That is incredible! ..........I would need a sweater, right???? :)

And then some. Of course I was in my Dry Suit.

Since I don't live in the desert and if I wanna dive regularly I will need a Dry Suit part of the year.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#142 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:28 PM

Hi all! Someone asked where the diving was and I'll tell you what I can remember without checking - I'm currently in the UK getting over Salmonella contracted last Wednesday in Dallas!

All the local dives on the first few days were held outside the barrier reef just off San Pedro, within 2 miles north of south of town. The night dive was held in the Hol Chan Marine Reserve about 6 miles south of town. Local dives on the last two days (only for 8 people) were held about 10 miles north of town, where all of us (including me) discovered some outstanding new sites.

On the third full day we went on the Blue Hole trip. Blue Hole is located in the geo-center of Lighthouse Atoll, which is the second atoll away from land (Turneffe being between it and land). We traversed Turneffe on the way there and back but didn't stop or dive there.

The BH was the first dive of the day. The second was at Half Moon Caye wall in the SE corner of the atoll, specifically off the SW corner of the caye. After lunch and a ramble on the island, where some chose to view the red-footed booby birds whilst others walked the south beach which is laden with fossils, we went for the last dive off the NW corner of Long Caye, which is due west of HMC by the wall of the reef. I forget the name of our entry point (but can find it if anyone wants) but the dive ended at The Aquarium. I understand that was a superb dive (I sat it out) during which Kamala had her frist close encounter of a grouper kind.

The day turned out to be excellent but had rather a foreboding start, when we'd barely cleared the reef on our outward journey on a nice 52' boat when a transmission gave cause for concern and we had to return and transfer to a smaller boat.

It turned out there was nothing wrong with the transmission on that occasion, only a hiccuping sensor. A week later though one of the transmission on that boat let go big time while the boat was entering the barrier reef. The consequent loss of control put the boat onto shallow sand, and when I left Belize last week it wasn't yet back in action.

There's no doubt that if you own boats you're in for trouble sooner or later, and several San Pedro operators have had serious boat-related problems this year (including ourselves). Insurance doesn't always help, but deep pockets do!

#143 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 25 November 2007 - 02:34 PM

Thank you Peter. Yes boats are known for being a big hole in the H2O for dumping $$$$$ into. And that was a very good call to change boats and not risk it!!!
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#144 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 25 November 2007 - 03:58 PM

Thank you Peter. Yes boats are known for being a big hole in the H2O for dumping $$$$$ into. And that was a very good call to change boats and not risk it!!!

Yeah! Another operator risked it a few weeks before...Amigos Del Mar I think and had a boat catch fire. Definitely NOT worth the risk!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#145 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:46 PM

There's no doubt that if you own boats you're in for trouble sooner or later, and several San Pedro operators have had serious boat-related problems this year (including ourselves). Insurance doesn't always help, but deep pockets do!

Thats why I don't have one anymore. I bought a brand new boat because I was tired of fixing an old used one I had, got three good seasons out of it and then it just wouldn't provide power anymore. Of course it was out of warranty :P

That sucks about the salmonella! Hope your feeling better soon!
Drew Z.

#146 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:58 PM

Yes boats are known for being a big hole in the H2O for dumping $$$$$ into.

Don't I know that one!! And that is even before 2 footitis kicks in (or in my family's case, it started as three footistish, then 9 footistis and now 20 footistis...) :flirt:

#147 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:39 AM

A dry suit in Canadian waters is needed to avoid 'significant shrinkage'... :)
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#148 Neptuner

Neptuner

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:04 AM

A dry suit in Canadian waters is needed to avoid 'significant shrinkage'... :)

Hmmm... hey shadragon, maybe you should change your screen name to "SHADTURTLE" :thankyou:

I'm with Ric... God gave us the warm waters so guys like us would have a place to dive... besides, my guitar stays in tune better in the warm sun!

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

#149 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:43 AM

Hmmm... hey shadragon, maybe you should change your screen name to "SHADTURTLE" :birthday:

We could start a discussion thread on what I should be called... I am sure there are a few strong opinions out there.

:birthday:
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#150 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 06:45 AM

Hmmm... hey shadragon, maybe you should change your screen name to "SHADTURTLE" :birthday:

We could start a discussion thread on what I should be called... I am sure there are a few strong opinions out there.

:birthday:

I think many suggestions might fall outside the TOS :birthday:
Drew Z.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users