• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Shark Attack, Myth or Reality?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#46 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 27 July 2004 - 01:08 PM

Darlin',

I didn't take my vintage gear to Bonaire (why do I have an urge to speak in Russian?), so 'chie saw me wearing my Jets, not my Duck Feet.

Walter
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#47 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 27 July 2004 - 06:03 PM

Walter- I never used a horse collar and didn't remember any of us using them in the 60's and early 70's until I looked at a picture of a marine biology class I was teaching and one student had one on. I never used them myself, prefering to dive without added bouyancy using my hard back pack. Didn't switch to a BC until 1989 when it was required on the ship I was working on. It failed (kept auto-inflating) so I just disconnected it and kept diving.

Still see an occasional horse collar in the park, and less frequently a diver with just a hard back pack! I keep wondering if they are "purists" or just haven't dived in decades.

Doc

#48 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:25 AM

When I had my encounter with the Tiger Shark...

ZD, the master of understatement ... sort of like saying Jeffrey Dahmer had a mild eating disorder.

I also have had great whites follow my kayak as I paddled near the island's West End and backside.

And this didn't concern you any? Those guys in the Mexico restaurant were right!

By the way, did anyone see that show on Discovery Channel last night about the guy hitching a ride on the great whites? I've done a lot of crazy things in my life but that was truly insane!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#49 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 28 July 2004 - 01:05 PM

Jamie, I have been watching shark week all week this week. It has been truly awesome. That guy was a complete nut...swimming over and petting them, riding them, grabbing their tale. I almost had a fit when I saw that.
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#50 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 05:20 PM

Jextract- the great whites that have followed my kayak off our coast were small (10-12') and therefore still fish eaters most likely. I think they were just curious. Of course I kept close to shore in case. It's a rare event given all the times I've kayaked here in the past 30+ years.

I was told by a film crew "filming" our around-the-island paddle from a helicopter in the mid-70's that a much larger (15-16') great white was following my boat as we rounded the West End. I didn't hear this until I got back to base camp two days later. I said "let me see the footage." Their response was "uh, we forgot to load the film in the magazine." To this day I don't know whether they were kidding or not.

Doc

#51 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 28 July 2004 - 07:47 PM

Jamie, I have been watching shark week all week this week. It has been truly awesome. That guy was a complete nut...swimming over and petting them, riding them, grabbing their tale. I almost had a fit when I saw that.

that was me in my man-suit....

#52 ddierolf

ddierolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Cert Level:Padi Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 28 July 2004 - 07:51 PM

that was me in my man-suit....

Was Helga out at that time?? or was it one of the others???? :wub:

Which end is up?

#53 H2Oaddict

H2Oaddict

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:1,200+

Posted 28 July 2004 - 08:03 PM

Sharks - what an awesome sight underwater!

The most breath taking experiance happened about 25 years ago on a dive in the keys. I was with a buddy and a private student on a checkout dive. Almost in the space of time it took my student to do mask clearing - a 14' hammerhead (known as Freight Train, a regular in Pennekamp) came in over the reef, did a "drive by", and moved out of sight. To me it froze time. Huge, powerful yet graceful. It sent shivers down my spine. My buddy and I watched then looked at the student and locked eye again. WE WERE NOT GOING TO TURN HIM AROUND UNTIL THE SHARK WAS GONE! Ok, on to the next skill. . . .

We see nurse sharks fairly often. Anything from sleeping loners to 5-6 in an area, they ARE like underwater puppy dogs which is somewhat un-nerving for students trying to do skills. Then some keys locals turned me on to a secret spot where Caribbean Reefs frequent. It's an alley they come up to feed off the reef.

Another adventure was taking a group of lawyers to Walker's Cay for the local Shark Feeding Dive. They all felt safe claiming "Sharks don't eat their own" I didn't want to break the illision......

Off Jupiter we do yearly Lemon Shark surveys taking note of the numbers of male, females and the various sized. Sometime there are 30-40 in the area. That's a rush! They move around in packs of 3 or 4 then get in single file and follow each other for awhile then break off in packs again. The little courtship moves are interesting to watch. On one dive the DM got freaked because a big male came in just to check me out and turned at the last minute. Watching thier behavior, I was never worried and enjoyed the close look. Gee does that mean I'm desperate for attention :wub:

OK that's the update - and yes I also remember the horsecollars, CO2 cart. and the joke to always carry a knife. If you see a shark cut your buddy and swim away..... :lmao:
Happy Diving, LJMongy

#54 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 08:08 PM

I remember hearing of how Jean-Michel Cousteau free dove with great whites off Africa, accompanied by a man who had been doing it there for some time. The info I heard from other Cousteau asociates was that JMC had a great white swim beneath him, and he held onto the dorsal fin and was carried along by the shark with no aggressive response. Then, while in Fiji, I saw the pictures from that encounter.

Incidences like that really make me wonder about the media-induced fear so many have of these animals. Come here nice sharkie. Here let me remove that rotting sea lion flesh from your teeth. There, isn't that bet.... OUCH!

Doc

#55 wreck_maniac

wreck_maniac

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 29 July 2004 - 08:04 AM

wreck_maniac:  does the repellent you use look like the one on page 2 of this thread? 

Wow! you've found my secret :welcome: nice photoshop work
~dale

NC Wreck Divers Dive the Graveyard of the Atlantic

#56 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 29 July 2004 - 09:03 AM

that's not PS...
they sell it at costco up here.....
lots of sharks in lake michigan

#57 ryvor

ryvor

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Cert Level:Padi Tech Deep. Finishing up Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:People actually log their dives? :P

Posted 02 September 2004 - 01:18 PM

3 questions you're most likely to get asked when you talk to a non-diver about diving:
1. How deep did you go?
2. Did you see any sharks?
3. How big were the sharks?

Sharks is a very interesting topic. You're more likely to win the lottery and get hit by lightning both in the same day than get bitten by a shark, or even worse, die at the jaws of a shark. Did I mention that 40% of all statics are inaccurate?

#1 spot for sharks attack in the world is...Florida. Since about 1989 shark attacks around the world have been recorded. Florida has the most with just under 300 attacks. Less than 2% were fatal and about 96% percent occured at the shore in less than 4 feet of water. Now with all the divers that enter the water in FL each year and all the millions beach goers that enter the water each year those are some pretty good odds. (Discovery Channel has a lot of info!)

How do you change your odds? Lets make them worse for a sec.

Spearfish. Spearfishing will attrack :o sharks. Just the sound of the bands popping will bring nosey sharks. Sharks associate the sound with free food so they will come. When you spear a fish, this will make the sharks more excited as now they smell the blood in the water. But still not enough to attack. What really gets the shark doing is the thrashing movement that the fish is making if you didn't get it with a kill shot. What's worse than having a thrashing fish? A thrashing fish on your stringer that you thought was dead and suddenly decided to wake up!

Awareness. Sharks are predators, so when in the water, make sure you make eye contact with the Sharks to let them know that you know that they know that you know they are there. Sharks are very delicate creatures, and an injury can mean death. So they are very careful when they attack. They will try for your blindside.

If you see see a shark and it starts circling you, it's sizing you up. It will get closer and closer until it bites. They don't have hands and that's their way of checking you out. They take a bite and see what you taste like. You can make yourself vertical to look bigger and you can also release a jet of air from your second stage. They usually will circle when you're spearfishing and have food, best bet is to drop the food and go the other way. If they're circling and you don't have food, then you're the food :lmao:

Also, don't touch the sharks. They can whip around and bite you.

#58 scuba1231

scuba1231

On a roll now.....

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:20 PM

DrBill what is the Water Park you keep talking about?

#59 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 07 May 2005 - 11:25 PM

DrBill what is the Water Park you keep talking about?

Catalina Island in CA!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#60 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 11:57 PM

Wow... I just discovered this past weekend that bull sharks HAVE been sighted off Catalina Island. I wasn't aware of that. Apparently they are seen very infrequently during warm water (El Nino) episodes.

Dr. Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users