• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

..and the fees go on...

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:30 AM

Delta is increasing certain fees as of April 1--and it's no joke.

Delta increases fees

BTW: anyone notice that three airlines have gone Tango Uniform this week?

ATA, Champion Air, and Aloha have all declared bankruptcy.

PPM

#2 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:57 AM

PPM

Yeah I was aware of this just yesterday when it came across on a newletter for frequent travelers.

Alohas demise was do to GO! Airlines being cut throat on fares to gain more load. Sad thing as soon as it was annouced fares in the islands went from 35-50 RT to 175+ RT.

Champion - no clue on what happened and nothing in the newsletter or boards either.

ATA - according to the report i saw they went bankrupt when the military scratched there charter contract, which caused everything to go down hill.

As for the legacy carriers Delta follows United, and US Airways on the down hill slide for the race to the bottom to join Ryanair, Spirit and the like. Atleast AA isnt following them because if they do there going to loose a big chunk of business to continental. So if you dont want more fees and such start writing to the airline you frequent the most because if you dont speak up your going to foot the bill.

What does this mean to us divers, well it means that those cheap weekends to Cozy and the like are going to be going up real soon. This is going to make the Flower Gardens look like a even better location. The big one it looks like divers are going

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#3 ASDmike

ASDmike

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:700ish

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:28 AM

Sadly, AA has filed in Canada to add baggage fees similar to what the others did here. Its a one month notice thing before they can change their fee structure up there. So they are either putting out feelers or have made plans to roll it out on all their North American flights at the same time... :birthday:
'06 - Fireworks on History, Singles Fantasy
'07 - Ancient Egypt/Red Sea Liveaboard
'08 - Bonaire Singles Week ...In STYLE!!!

#4 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:08 PM

I think it will be interesting to see how this affects the destination dive resorts. If it gets to the point where flights are prohibitive it is going to impact them. It's either going to put them out of business or cause them to lower their rates. When I was in Bonaire in Sept. I was talking to one of the resort owners and he told me that it was getting so difficult and expensive for Americans to get to Bonaire that he was seeing a huge shift in customer base.

Flights to Roatan are getting to the point that it is too expensive to go down there as well. The funny thing is, if you fly on non American airlines they are generally much cheaper. I can fly to Austrailia from Portland on one of the Asian airlines for about $100 more than what it costs me to fly to most of the Carib on an American airline.
Sea Turtle advocate!

#5 ScubaStacy

ScubaStacy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW Rescue.
  • Logged Dives:190+

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:23 PM

It's true. I used to fly Frontier from Sacrmento to Cozumel but lately I've found Mexicana flights for several hundred dollars less (about $350 including taxes) it's a few extra hours in transit but as long as I get there I'm happy!

Stacy :thankyou:

If it gets much higher I might have to actually dive in cold water! YIKES! :respect:
I just want to be underwater!

#6 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:59 PM

Sadly, AA has filed in Canada to add baggage fees similar to what the others did here. Its a one month notice thing before they can change their fee structure up there. So they are either putting out feelers or have made plans to roll it out on all their North American flights at the same time... :respect:

Mike

yeah i saw that on another board and sent a note into AMR HQ about that and got a interesting response. Maybe if a few elites sent notes to AA HQ they would reconsider if they knew the business they could lose if they play follow the leader considering AA already has the stingiest check bag weight limits of any carrier in the one world alliance and of any other domestic carriers already.

Dan

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#7 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:37 AM

The one thing that is a guarantee in all of this, unless you live next to the pool, you are going to pay alot more $$$ to enjoy the marine life!!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#8 diverb0b

diverb0b

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Cert Level:INSTRUCTOR TRAINER
  • Logged Dives:7000 +

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:42 AM

Glad I live in the thousand Islands area of the st lawrence river ,lots of great wrecks in my backyard and can dive all year without going away :whistle: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :whistle:
It will all be a memory tomorrow
I BE DIVING

#9 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:36 AM

I guess dive travel has to be your only focus to be able to afford all of this. If diving is just one of your recreational pursuits it is certainly getting priced out of the budget rather quickly.

I am the guy that does tons of different things diving being high on the list. It sure is slipping quickly given all of the difficulty in travel these days.

Fred
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#10 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:48 AM

PPM

We can now add Skybus and Blue Sky (a regional carrier) to the list.

5 air carriers have augered in this past week. :wacko:

Batten down the hatches; air travel just may start getting really expensive in the future.

Wonder if I can get my Scuba gear on a train to the coast and embark from there?

PPM

#11 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:28 AM

PPM

Wonder if I can get my Scuba gear on a train to the coast and embark from there?

PPM

I looked at Amtrac for a change of pace to get to a Flower Garden trip once, they only allow one tank and there was a weight limit too but I forget the amount.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#12 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:01 AM

Heard on the radio that Frontier (Denver based) is filing for Bankruptcy protection. Who's next??
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#13 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:15 AM

Well you can add to the list of airlines royally bending over there customers, especially divers you can add American Airlines to this list - Very big thumbs down. Needless to say Gerald Arpey has a letter coming his way within the hour. Ok in all of this mess which legacy carriers are left not bending over there customers.

article
http://biz.yahoo.com...am518.html?.v=5

I love how they try to spin this by saying its only going to affect 4% of its domestic customers, but then again i think thats goes along the lines of over 87.3% of all statistics are made up.

Edited by Scubatooth, 28 April 2008 - 11:19 AM.

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,616 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:31 AM

You know I'm wondering why AA does not have the new travel restrictions listed on their site? My mom is flying over Mother's Day to be with her mom and while the ticket was bought awhile back...I think it was to affect all travel after May 2nd. However I can not find any mention of the 1 bag limit on AA's site. Am I just missing it or have they not really enforced it yet?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#15 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:42 AM

here is AA link

http://www.aa.com/ap...romotionContent

New Policy

here may still be questions so we've compiled some information to help you.

We Have Answers To Your Baggage Questions
Q. Do all customers have to pay to check a second bag?
A. No. View exceptions.

Q. How much will it cost to check more than two bags?
A. For flights within the United States the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Canada:

* $25 for the second checked piece. Exceptions apply
* $100 per piece for the 3rd, 4th and 5th checked bags
* $200 per piece for the 6th checked bag and any additional pieces

Q. If I fly round trip and check a second bag for the whole trip, what is the service fee?
A. It is $25 for each way; $50 total.

Q. If I am traveling with my child on my lap (so I only have one ticket), and I check one bag and my child’s car seat, do I have to pay a second bag fee?
A. No. When traveling with a child, checked car seats and strollers will continue to be free. Other items checked as baggage will be considered as part of your checked baggage allotment and fees would apply if you exceed your free allowance.

Q. If I am medically disabled and need to check my wheelchair or medical equipment in addition to my suitcase, do I need to pay a second bag service fee?
A. A wheelchair may be checked and will not be part of your checked bag allowance (or assessed a fee) if it is strictly for mobility purposes or is required to make a living. Other medical equipment that is checked as baggage will be considered as part of your checked baggage allotment and fees would apply if you exceed your free allowance.

Q. If I check one bag and a pair of skis, do I have to pay a second bag service fee?
A. Yes, sports equipment counts toward your baggage allowance and you would be charged a second bag service fee. If you only check your pair of skis, then you would not be charged a second bag service fee. All travel baggage (including but not limited to skis, golf clubs, boxes, suitcases, etc.) count toward your baggage allowance.

Q. Can I pay for my second checked bag at curbside check-in?
A. Yes.

Q. If I am an AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum®, or AAdvantage Gold® member when I purchase my ticket but no longer hold AAdvantage elite status as of the date of travel, does the fee apply?
A. The second bag service fee determination will be made at time of check in and will be based on your status at that time.
Know Baggage Policies Before You Go To The Airport

Q. If I obtain an upgrade to Business or First Class after checking in and paying for a second checked bag, will I be refunded the second checked bag service fee?
A. No. The service fee is based on your status and class of ticketed cabin at time of check in.

Q. Does this second bag policy apply to American Eagle flights? What about AmericanConnection® flights?
A. Yes, this policy applies to American Eagle and AmericanConnection flights.

Exemptions are here

* Customers who buy a ticket before May 12, 2008, or who fly before May 12, 2008
* Customers traveling on an international itinerary to destinations beyond the U.S., the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, or Canada
* Customers who purchase full-fare tickets in Economy Class
* Customers who have purchased Business or First Class tickets
* Customers flying on AA codeshare flights not operated by American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection® on a ticket purchased through American
* Customers traveling on connecting flights where the first leg of the itinerary is not operated by American
* Customers traveling on government or military fares
* Military passengers on active duty
* AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® or AAdvantage Gold® members
* oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
* Customers flying on the same reservation as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold member or oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flier status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)
* AAnytime® Economy Class AAdvantage award tickets, MileSAAver(SM) or AAnytime First and Business Class AAdvantage award tickets
* First and Business Class upgrades confirmed prior to check in
* AAirpass travel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users