• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

..and the fees go on...

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:43 AM

here is AA.com's link

AA luggage policy

it looks like they will enforce it for tickets purchased after May 12th

#17 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:21 PM

here is AA.com's link

AA luggage policy

it looks like they will enforce it for tickets purchased after May 12th

Thank you! I couldn't find it :banghead: but does it only cover tickets purchased after a certain date? What about travel dates? Or is that May 12th too?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#18 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:35 PM

it applies to tickets purchased after May 12th...it doesn't say anything about destinations

the ticket purchase date is the easiest way to enforce the new fees

#19 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:39 PM

The fill policy i pasted into a post on the last page for reference here without going to AA.

maybe this new policy is the "no good deed goes unpunished" end of the Double Elite Qualifying mile bonus between now and june 15th

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#20 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:02 PM

my understanding is elite's won't have to pay the fee

#21 ASDmike

ASDmike

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:700ish

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:38 AM

my understanding is elite's won't have to pay the fee

Correct, from aa.com - the details on when travelers will not have to pay for a 2nd bag on AA's domestic flights.

The following customers will not be charged a service fee to check a second bag provided the second bag is within the weight allowance:

• Customers who buy a ticket before May 12, 2008, or who fly before May 12, 2008
  • Customers traveling on an international itinerary to destinations beyond the U.S., the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, or Canada
  • Customers who purchase full-fare tickets in Economy Class
  • Customers who have purchased Business or First Class tickets
  • Customers flying on AA codeshare flights not operated by American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection® on a ticket purchased through American
  • Customers traveling on connecting flights where the first leg of the itinerary is not operated by American
  • Customers traveling on government or military fares
  • Military passengers on active duty
  • AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® or AAdvantage Gold® members
  • oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
  • Customers flying on the same reservation as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold member or oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flier status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)
  • AAnytime® Economy Class AAdvantage award tickets, MileSAAver(SM) or AAnytime First and Business Class AAdvantage award tickets
  • First and Business Class upgrades confirmed prior to check in
  • AAirpass travel

Edited by ASDmike, 29 April 2008 - 06:48 AM.

'06 - Fireworks on History, Singles Fantasy
'07 - Ancient Egypt/Red Sea Liveaboard
'08 - Bonaire Singles Week ...In STYLE!!!

#22 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:00 AM

Well it was bound to happen sooner or later with AA!

Delta and Northwest in merger talks, now UAL and US Air are talking since UAL was rebuffed by Continental. What will be next for the consumer?
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#23 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:09 AM

when I heard United and Continental were talking about a merger, my first thought was I'll never fly Continental again! But, Continental turned United down so now Continental is back on my good airline list :wakawaka:

#24 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:12 AM

Thank you all for the information.

Its truly a matter of raise fees or raise fares. The end it still not in sight. -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#25 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:49 PM

United just followed with checked bag fees now for first bag! If you purchase tickets with United on or after June 13, 2008 for travel on or after August 18, 2008 it will be $15 for the first bag and $25 for the second. There are no first bag fees for travel before August 18, 2008. Presumeably these fees will be charged each way. Click here for their full policy. Second bag fees, I get it. Not everyone travels witha second bag, but with the tight restrictions regarding carry-ons, I'd just rather they just raise their ticket prices to include one checked bag instead of nickle and diming for the first bag! grrr.... :birthday:

Do you think I'd get through security wearing my gear sans a tank? Then it's not checked nor carry-on....
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#26 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:43 PM

United just followed with checked bag fees now for first bag! If you purchase tickets with United on or after June 13, 2008 for travel on or after August 18, 2008 it will be $15 for the first bag and $25 for the second. There are no first bag fees for travel before August 18, 2008. Presumeably these fees will be charged each way. Click here for their full policy. Second bag fees, I get it. Not everyone travels witha second bag, but with the tight restrictions regarding carry-ons, I'd just rather they just raise their ticket prices to include one checked bag instead of nickle and diming for the first bag! grrr.... :birthday:

Do you think I'd get through security wearing my gear sans a tank? Then it's not checked nor carry-on....

I guess it depends what kind of exposure suit you wear. Booties & fins would have to go in the bin, I guess. And those in dry suits that include boots would really have a challenge getting through.

Last week the airlines tried to raise rates and it didn't stick. So now United adds this charge. And AA adds a $20 fuel surcharge this week.

At this point, the only airline without a 1 bag or 2 bag fee is Southwest.

#27 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:05 PM

As I mentioned in another thread, if American was the first others would follow. If this weren't enough cut and paste this link to see US Airways is about to do!!!!

http://www.usatoday....k=51262272.blog
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#28 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:05 PM

The only redeeming factor is most of our travel should be exempted cuz its INTERNATIONAL!!! So lets go dive more! :cheerleader:

The following customers will not be charged a service fee to check a second bag provided the second bag is within the weight allowance:

* Customers traveling on an international itinerary to destinations beyond the U.S., the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, or Canada

formerly...

#29 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:28 AM

While what you mention WW is true, how long will it be before the take a bite out of those routes? Consider what this will do to those traveling to the Keys, out to California to go to Catalina or San Diego, and even in Texas with the Flower Gardens. Will the only folks heading to these destinations be local as they can drive? Perhaps so as the make up of those traveling to these locales may far out weigh those traveling in anyway.

At what point does it end? You cannot carry more than 3 ounces of liquid past security, so you have the option of overpaying for a beverage behind the iron curtain. Now you have an airline brazen enough to charge you for asking for beverage service? Wait till it adds 20 minutes to bording process because folks are carrying on even more crap onto the plane, can you expect to get whacked for a late departure?

#30 Fordan

Fordan

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:70

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:46 AM

Here's the official announcement of US' fun new changes.
  • First checked bag fee - $15 one-way (includes US, Canada, Latin America, Caribbean)
  • $2 charge for "all non-alcoholic beverages (including sodas, juices, bottled water and coffee)"
  • No more milage bonuses for elite members
  • $25/$35/$50 award booking fee
  • $25/$35 fee for booking via telephone
  • Closing clubs in BWI & RDU, lounges in Munich, Rome, and Zurich.
  • Reducing capacity.

Note that Caribbean & Latin America are listed as having the bag fee, which covers many of the locations US divers frequent.

Just hit the miles needed to keep Silver status with US though Feb 2010. Time to see who flies enough from the PHL area to be viable and will status match... Maybe CO or DL...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users