• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Its time to dive the NorthEast!

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#46 NJBerserker

NJBerserker

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver/ Nitrox/ DAN DEMP/ TDI Dive Medic
  • Logged Dives:~75

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:14 PM

Glad to finally see some new faces adding to the discussion. Please look at the link I posted earlier for some cool diving and historical info on U-853. WW it would be great if we moved this to the planning thread, I think someone may have already suggested that once. :teeth: FinGrabber it would be great to have you onboard to add to the fun and the variety of locales represented. Privateers good to see you've become part of the community and thanks for offering assistance with a boat and rentals for people. I torture-tested one of the bolt snaps I bought from you and I am more than satisfied with the quality. I hope you and WW can work out a business partnership or something soon to help get business going. Do we have a firm month at least for when we want to do this? I would suggest late Sept. early Oct. to get the most favorable temperatures if that's what people are concerned with.
Proud Member of the Cooper River "A-Team"

#47 Privateer Divers

Privateer Divers

Getting started

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:35 PM

Glad to finally see some new faces adding to the discussion. Please look at the link I posted earlier for some cool diving and historical info on U-853. WW it would be great if we moved this to the planning thread, I think someone may have already suggested that once. :teeth: FinGrabber it would be great to have you onboard to add to the fun and the variety of locales represented. Privateers good to see you've become part of the community and thanks for offering assistance with a boat and rentals for people. I torture-tested one of the bolt snaps I bought from you and I am more than satisfied with the quality. I hope you and WW can work out a business partnership or something soon to help get business going. Do we have a firm month at least for when we want to do this? I would suggest late Sept. early Oct. to get the most favorable temperatures if that's what people are concerned with.

Yeah i'm glad to be a part of the community. NJBerserker that’s what Privateer quality is all about, if you ever want to test any products out let me know. Any time you want to go do some wreck diving let me know. Also if Kate did not tell you I am an instructor both recreational and tech.
-The equipment rental is threw me not Wayne Gordon Captain of Canned Air.

Edited by Privateer Divers, 10 April 2008 - 06:35 PM.

#48 Hipshot

Hipshot

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:29 AM

I think you guys/gals are putting the U-Boat up on a pedestal.

You're probably right. I suspect it's the history of the 853 that gives it so much charisma.

Do folks still dive the Blackpoint as a second dive? It sort-of completes the historical event. My personal favorite second dives were the Essex and the Lightburne for the simple reason that decompression is not an issue, so I could dive them any way I wanted to.

Rick

:thankyou:

#49 Privateer Divers

Privateer Divers

Getting started

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:43 AM

I think you guys/gals are putting the U-Boat up on a pedestal.

You're probably right. I suspect it's the history of the 853 that gives it so much charisma.

Do folks still dive the Blackpoint as a second dive? It sort-of completes the historical event. My personal favorite second dives were the Essex and the Lightburne for the simple reason that decompression is not an issue, so I could dive them any way I wanted to.

Rick

:wakawaka:

The Blackpoint is a very common second dive. The Essex,Lightburn is a nice shallow dive but because they are so shallow and close to shore you can only dive them on a flat calm day.
Rick

#50 techintime

techintime

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Cert Level:Master diver, TDI Deco diver and adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 12 April 2008 - 11:54 PM

NJ area is my second dive home. I'll be up there for a couple of weeks this summer, dates not yet set. If the stars align and this dive goes while I am up there, then Im in...probably just for a day or two of diving as this will be a vacation otherwise dedicated to my boys. Please keep me in the loop.
Techintime

#51 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,701 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:43 AM

NJ area is my second dive home. I'll be up there for a couple of weeks this summer, dates not yet set. If the stars align and this dive goes while I am up there, then Im in...probably just for a day or two of diving as this will be a vacation otherwise dedicated to my boys. Please keep me in the loop.

Cool...when are you going to be there? Not sure when we can plan this that fast but you never know!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#52 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:57 AM

Let me know when you're going to be here and I'll get ya diving somewhere. Even if its only the quarry.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#53 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:24 AM

Ok so you have PERMANENT moorings on the wreck. That is good. And at least one boat adds an additional safety line to the wreck for divers as well.

Thank you!

A few more questions...

1. How many boats will attempt to tie up to one wreck? (In NC you can have several boats all tied into the same wreck...even a small one like the U-352.)

2. Do other boats add the second line as well...you don't have to name them just let me know if it is a common practice or only one that YOUR boat adheres too?

3. What are typical seas? In NC they often average 3-5...with 1-3 being a perfect day and 5-6 too often the case.

4. Do boats have hang bars or lines under the boat for safety/deco stops?

5. While I do not agree with them...do boats hang an extra bottle of gas/air in case you run low?

6. What is the typical surface interval? 2 hours or 1.5 hrs?

7. Do you commonally do 2 different wrecks in a typical day trip or 2 dives on one wreck? Or does it depend on where you are diving ie. closeness of other wrecks or the dive profiles of the divers or the boat captain?

1. Depends on the wreck... USS SanDiego up to 3 but it's huge so not a problem... dive boats generally don't crowd each other. There are enough wrecks and dive sites to go around.

2. Second line for what?

3. Seas can be anything from flat calm to 8-10ft... anything over 6ft and they will call the trip. And it can easily change throughout the day... calm in the morning to 8ft with thunderstorms coming thru in the late afternoon.

4. Yes they have hang and tag lines.

5. Not on any of the boats I have been on. You're responsible for your tanks and gear.

6. SI is up to you. These boats do not babysit the divers. There are no DM's per se. Boat crews tie the boat into the wreck. Will help you in and out of the water and assist you with your gear. They check you in and out of the water and be there in case of emergencies. They will give you advise on a dive plan but they don't lead or do guided dives.

Note What will people coming from out of the area do for tanks? Tanks are rentable from the area LDS but you won't be able to get a refill on a weekend or overnight. You will need all your tanks for the weekend before they close shop Friday evening.
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#54 timk

timk

Getting started

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW with Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:63

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:45 PM

I think I dove off the boat Privateer is talking about on the U-853 last September, the Canned Air. I do recommend them and the U-853 dive is very nice. Plan to try and do it again this summer. Vis wasn't too good the day we dove it and the seas were a bit rough but the sub is still in pretty good shape and yes, there is an antenna or something made out of such good stainless that there is only one small spot of corrosion on it after all these years. Max depth I got was 125 feet and that was on the sand.

Anyway, if you want to come further north and get into the real cool water (bottom temps in summer in upper 40's) then head on up to the cape Anne area. I dive a boat all the time that is very good. Does wrecks, scallop diving, some very beautiful scenic dives and if possible, seal dives although it's up to the seals as to whether or not they want to play. It's a 6 pack as well but he does morning, afternoon and night dives all in the same day so potentially up to 18 people could get at least 2 dives in weather permitting.

Also, Cape Anne has some great shore dives and several dive shops for air etc. If you want to dive this far up let me know and I'm sure that we can arrange a couple for local divers to go along on the shore dives as well as the boats if there's room.

Cape Anne Divers (different than the one I talked about above) has two boats, one a 6 pack (31 foot) and the other a 45 foot that I think will hold up to 10-12 divers. http://www.capeanndivers.com/
Have done dives with them as well and can recommend them.

Also, Cape Anne, MA and Point Judith, Ri are only a couple of hours apart so it would be possible to do both areas in a weeks time.

Any questions give me a shout.

Edited by timk, 20 May 2008 - 02:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users