• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Its time to dive the NorthEast!

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 NJBerserker

NJBerserker

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver/ Nitrox/ DAN DEMP/ TDI Dive Medic
  • Logged Dives:~75

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:31 PM

Ok, back from the dive club meeting and this is what I have:

1. U-853 is an absolutely AMAZING dive! (Apparently the conning tower is still shiny after all these years, cool stuff) Yet is considered advanced. A few people in my club with lots of experience on the wreck recommend at least 50 like dives, preferably 100. They say there is always a current and described it as a "rugged" dive. It was also noted that being adept with the reel is also a must.

2. There are plenty of other really cool wrecks in the area, most of which are shallower and more sheltered.

3. The people with experience on the Wahoo said they booked a trip and when it got blown out the crew kept their money. It was emphasised that this crew has stayed on with Captain Hank on the Garloo. I was cautioned that if we were to use them we should get written confirmation of all policies etc. It was recommended however, that we look into him if we wish to do the trip "liveaboard" style as he would be the most ample boat for our needs.

4. It was recommended that we do this trip landbased and stayed somewhere on either long island or block island as it's a cool area and the fishing village atmosphere of the islands is real cool.

5. The six pack boat "Sea Turtle" came with EXTREMELY HIGH recommendations. www.seaturtlecharters.com Many members of my club have used them with great success and say it's very comfortable. I would really like to consider them if we are looking at a small trip so far as people. Their website is cool and lists the specs on the boat as well as a number of the dives they do including several of their usual wrecks and their depths. They also list their safety gear which I know will make a certain someone very happy (redundant communications, liferaft, o2).

Take all this for what it's good for. As always, please say something if you are interested in this trip. We need interest to make it happen. I know someone is reading this who may want to go, say something. Interest alone gives us something to go on. If you speak up you have a say in the planning :thankyou: If you remain silent you may wind up missing out on a great time.

'Zerker

Edited by NJBerserker, 09 April 2008 - 08:36 PM.

Proud Member of the Cooper River "A-Team"

#32 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:48 PM

Just got this email from the SeaTurtle yesterday

Hi Everyone,

We now have a bit larger vessel that will be running
from Ponquogue Marina is Hampton Bays. The "Sidekick"
is a 28' pilot house design with a 310 hp diesel
engine that will allow a 20 knot cruise. The larger
boat will allow more diversity in dive sites,
including the COIMBRA, which will be well under 2 hrs
from the inlet. Check out the revised schedule with
more dates added.

http://www.seaturtle...shinnecock.html

As with the "Sea Turtle" in Montauk, the Shinnecock
boat is available for private groups of 4-6 divers.
Contact us to schedule your favorite wreck.

Peace, Capt. Chuck.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#33 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,702 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:49 PM

Thank you Anthony...great research!

Thank you Bob...good input on the Sea Turtle.

If we only have a few people interested then the smaller boat will be the way to go. However I can't help but think that we would have more than 4-6 people interested in doing this type of diving?

As for getting a boat to put it all in writing...I am the QUEEN of writing so no extra reinforcement needed. However I always hit people with their weaknesses and then let them rise above them if they want the business.

I would think that the BOAT CAPTAIN is the one that sets policy and makes or breaks contracts and not the crew. So Capt Hank is the one I have to ensure honors his word.

So tell me the depths of the U-853? So is it the current that makes it an advanced dive? Why do the locals call it an advanced dive?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#34 NJBerserker

NJBerserker

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver/ Nitrox/ DAN DEMP/ TDI Dive Medic
  • Logged Dives:~75

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:12 AM

The two people with the most experience said it is a combination of factors. The depth is 110 to 130. it is also low lying so the dive is deep nomatter what. the current and other ocean conditions can be rough due to its non sheltered location. Add into that vis limitations and it could get kind of hairy. however, both of them lit up when I mentioned the wreck and couldn't contain their love for the site. Long and short, great dive but go in with your boots laced. I don't have the exact details about how they got screwed on the wahoo. all I know is they refuse to use the boat again. We'll make up our own minds, but I want to include all input I gather.
Proud Member of the Cooper River "A-Team"

#35 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,702 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:28 AM

The two people with the most experience said it is a combination of factors. The depth is 110 to 130. it is also low lying so the dive is deep nomatter what. the current and other ocean conditions can be rough due to its non sheltered location. Add into that vis limitations and it could get kind of hairy. however, both of them lit up when I mentioned the wreck and couldn't contain their love for the site. Long and short, great dive but go in with your boots laced. I don't have the exact details about how they got screwed on the wahoo. all I know is they refuse to use the boat again. We'll make up our own minds, but I want to include all input I gather.

A couple of things...

U-583: Do the boats tie into the wreck giving divers a safe descent and ascent line? Or do they grapple the wreck which can come lose? I can't imagine they do free descents and ascents so I'm guessing they send a DM to tie in. This will make a huge difference in handling a wreck like this. Depth is no different than many wrecks in NC...no relief and all in the 100+ range. Divers need to dive nitrox and doing a short deco obligation is perfect if allowed! Is penetration allowed? This of course increases the difficulty of the dive...if just doing a survey then you can use the line and wreck itself to deal with the current.

The Wahoo vs Garloo....my understanding is the Garloo used to be the old Wahoo but the original boat capt KEPT the name leaving Capt Hank to rename the vessel when it was sold to him. He named it Garloo and has subsequently totally remoded it in the past couple of years. I also understand that not only is the Garloo totally remodeled but she has a predominately different crew. This is where some of the confusion may be coming from...does she or does she not have a different crew and will this make any difference?

AND has anyone heard anything bad about her SINCE BEING THE GARLOO which is what we need to judge upon?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#36 Privateer Divers

Privateer Divers

Getting started

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:27 AM

I think you guys/gals are putting the U-Boat up on a pedestal. It is not as challenging of a dive as you make it out to be. There are a few challenges to the dive, such as depth You can reach 130fsw if you dig, but the deck is at 110fsw give or take a few feet. Visibility on average is 15ft, but can be much less or much more. Currents can be strong at times but most of the time it is not an issue. Penetrating the wreck is a much different story. For most of the local New England wrecks a scooter is over kill. The only good use for a scooter is for digging. All of the local CT, RI boats are 6 packs. Most of our wrecks are small a few hundred feet long at most. Also all of the wreck in Long Island and some of the wrecks in Block Island Sound are tidal based and can only be dove at slack tide. The U-Boat is not tidal based and can be dove at any time. If you have any questions on the wrecks feel free to ask. Chuck from the Sea Turtle runs a very tight ship i can only say good things about him from what i have seen on the water. Just my two cents.

#37 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,702 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for the update on the wrecks...especially on the U-583.

Can you tell me how they tie into the wrecks? Especially the U-583?

formerly...

#38 Privateer Divers

Privateer Divers

Getting started

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:20 AM

There are normally 3 moorings on the U-853 we keep one on the conning tower at all times. Most of the time there is one on the bow and stern. As protocol on our boat I swim down and tie another line in as well.
Rick

#39 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,702 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:32 AM

There are normally 3 moorings on the U-853 we keep one on the conning tower at all times. Most of the time there is one on the bow and stern. As protocol on our boat I swim down and tie another line in as well.
Rick

Ok so you have PERMANENT moorings on the wreck. That is good. And at least one boat adds an additional safety line to the wreck for divers as well.

Thank you!

A few more questions...

1. How many boats will attempt to tie up to one wreck? (In NC you can have several boats all tied into the same wreck...even a small one like the U-352.)

2. Do other boats add the second line as well...you don't have to name them just let me know if it is a common practice or only one that YOUR boat adheres too?

3. What are typical seas? In NC they often average 3-5...with 1-3 being a perfect day and 5-6 too often the case.

4. Do boats have hang bars or lines under the boat for safety/deco stops?

5. While I do not agree with them...do boats hang an extra bottle of gas/air in case you run low?

6. What is the typical surface interval? 2 hours or 1.5 hrs?

7. Do you commonally do 2 different wrecks in a typical day trip or 2 dives on one wreck? Or does it depend on where you are diving ie. closeness of other wrecks or the dive profiles of the divers or the boat captain?

formerly...

#40 Privateer Divers

Privateer Divers

Getting started

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:10 PM

I cannot speak of other boats practices. We will run in any divable sea so nothing bigger than 4ft chop. Most captains will not tie up to the wreck if there are more than two boats out there. We do not hang extra gas, as that is your job to plan you dive properly. When you buy the boat for the day you may go to any wreck you want within reason some wrecks have an extra fuel sure charge to them. Surface interval is up to you. We commonly run to the U-853 then the Black Point the ship she sunk.

#41 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,702 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:26 PM

Thank you for the replies..they are very helpful.

I'm surprised we haven't had more interest in this thread...Maybe I need to move it to the 2008 planning threads for better traction.

formerly...

#42 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:30 PM

when are you planning to do this trip? This year, next year??

and I'll need to rent doubles with deco bottles too...are these available in the local area to the dive boat? And what are the water temps in July/August?

#43 Underwaterpiclady

Underwaterpiclady

Getting started

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:39 PM

Hi everyone. If you like, you can contact my dive shop, Hampton Dive Center. A lot of the guys dive the "Uie" and other wrecks as well. Randy runs a great shop and is a PADI 5 Star shop. Here is the addy: www.hamptondive.com.

The water off Long Island is cold, even in the summer and most of us dive in dry suit and 7mm with hoods.

Hope this helps.
Underwaterpiclady
a/k/a Dorothy

#44 Privateer Divers

Privateer Divers

Getting started

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:22 PM

when are you planning to do this trip? This year, next year??

and I'll need to rent doubles with deco bottles too...are these available in the local area to the dive boat? And what are the water temps in July/August?

Yes i can rent you anything you need.

#45 Going Postal

Going Postal

People are starting to get to know me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Board Status:online
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:26 PM

If you use one of the Rhode Island based charters, I will definitely meet up with everyone afterwards. The good thing about a RI charter is that it is a much shorter boat ride than a CT or NY based boat. I think the U- 853 is a little beyond my skill level so I won't be doing it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow - What a ride!'"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users