• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Its time to dive the NorthEast!

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#16 NJBerserker

NJBerserker

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver/ Nitrox/ DAN DEMP/ TDI Dive Medic
  • Logged Dives:~75

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:56 PM

VADiver,
I am not personally familiar with any of the boats that frequent the 853. I will as around at my club meeting on Wednesday to see if any of the old salts can recommend something. I agree with you though. All I need along with a safe and knowledgable crew is a spot on the bench and room for my gear, a small lunch, and water. The main thing we need to consider with the U-853 is that it's going to be a ride regarless of where we shove off from. It is also not sheltered and is subject to weather. I must stress again that we need an idea of who may be interested in doing these dives. Perhaps this can be moved to a planning thread in the upcoming trips forum or something. If you are AT ALL interested in these dives please chirp up and be counted. I haven't been able to get any real solid info on the Garloo yet. However I feel they should definitely be considered as they are offering 4 day trips to the Doria with a gourmet chef. They also mention their onboard compressor and say that they can take 10 divers on that trip. If they can bunk, feed, and fill 10 divers worth of bottles for the Doria I'm sure they can fit us. The quality and safety of their crew is all that need be considered if the rest is true.
Proud Member of the Cooper River "A-Team"

#17 Privateer Divers

Privateer Divers

Getting started

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:20 AM

If you are looking to dive the U-853 or other Block Island wreck, I work on a boat out of RI and we are under an hour ride to the sight. Also i can give you all the info you need about the wreck and others in the sound.

Edited by Privateer Divers, 07 April 2008 - 10:24 AM.

#18 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 07 April 2008 - 02:54 PM

Privateer,
Do you have a link to the dive boat site? If not can you provide me with a bit of info about her--safety equipment, size, dive policy, location, etc, etc... Thanks.

Kamala, as to a one day trip -vs- a couple days that would depend on what other sites there are to do. But, then again you know me and I'd be happy doing multiple dives on the U-boat...gotta explore the fore and aft compartments!

Oh, I'm off to the Caymans on Thursday but will check the board for any updates; if no conectivity I'll be back in the States on the 19th.

Edited by VADiver, 07 April 2008 - 02:56 PM.

#19 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,701 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:10 PM

Thank you for the heads up! Sounds like you might want to join as a business member...please send me more info at kamala@singledivers.com!

Thank you! kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#20 Privateer Divers

Privateer Divers

Getting started

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:11 PM

The boat is a 36 ft Down East she can hold 6 divers very easy with two sets of doubles and stage bottles. I don’t know what safety equipment your interested in O2, first aide kits? As of policies once you are in the water be safe and don’t do anything stupid. If you buy the boat for the day you can do as much deco as you want. I have been a mate on the boat for many years Wayne is a top-notch captain I can put you in touch with him if you are interested.
Rick

#21 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:10 AM

For either Eagles Nest or Lockness you will need AOW cert, a pony bottle and definitely a dry suit. I've done the San Diego in a 7mm and had to sit out the second dive because I was so cold. And I'm the one that usually looks at everyone else freezing and shivering wondering whats wrong with ya'll. July water temp on the wreck was 48F.

Both boats cater to tech divers so that's not an issue. Both boats do overnights so there are some accomodations but not comfortable. If you want more info on Eagles Nest, my OW instructor crews on the boat. Like previously mentioned, the seas can be rough and viz is low. Hurricane season isn't really an issue here... it's rare they come up this way... when they do it isn't until Sept/Oct and will blow everyone out.
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#22 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:58 AM

The boat is a 36 ft Down East she can hold 6 divers very easy with two sets of doubles and stage bottles. I don’t know what safety equipment your interested in O2, first aide kits? As of policies once you are in the water be safe and don’t do anything stupid. If you buy the boat for the day you can do as much deco as you want. I have been a mate on the boat for many years Wayne is a top-notch captain I can put you in touch with him if you are interested.
Rick

The boats that used to go to U-853 would tie on over night giving you time to offgas for a morning dive before heading back in, I can't picture six divers plus crew sleeping on any 36' boat.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#23 Privateer Divers

Privateer Divers

Getting started

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:38 PM

We are under an hour ride to the U-boat we did over 20 trips there last year alone. So you can stay in any hotel or on the boat in RI at the dock also we have a few good places to eat near by as well. We also do trips to the USS Bass and other wrecks.

#24 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,701 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:17 PM

I'm thinking 6 divers is too small a group...or maybe its all we'll get to 'tough it out'.

Privateer Divers please email me at kamala@singledivers.com with more info on the boat such as contact info, pricing, names of hotels you mentioned etc. :welcome:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#25 NJBerserker

NJBerserker

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:57 PM

If we can only get a six pack together than so be it. I would like more as well. I'd sleep on a docked boat no problem. Everyone seems down for U-853, so I guess that's the direction we're headed and I'm really psyched. :) I just hope we didn't lose any potential divers for this trip by choosing such a deep and potentially rough wreck. If anyone reading this falls into that category I would just like to remind you that if we do 3-4 days we will probably be hitting other wrecks as well. If it is within your limitations, don't be afraid of a little challenge. We may also be restricted to the more protected wrecks by weather anyway. So pipe up if you wanna dive with us. This has to happen.

#26 NJBerserker

NJBerserker

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:07 PM

Check this out for some good information on U-853. http://njscuba.net/s...es_2.html#U-853

#27 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:20 AM

The good things about a 6-pack is that you have more control of over who goes and the trip coordinator does not have to worry about filling the boat. If one person bails at the last minute the cost can easily be absorbed by the others. A group I dive with will buy the 6-pack and eat the extra costs if we cant find the 5th and 6th diver--plus it gives us more room for bottles and scooters.

I tink a pre-requsit for such a trip would to include a brief dive bio and history to make sure the diver is good to go and the rest of the divers will know a bit about them. In a perfect world the boat would be occupied by three, two man dive teams who regularly dive together. That way you take an unknown factor out of the mix (insta buddy) while getting to know the other divers-in and out of the water.

#28 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,701 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:47 AM

The good things about a 6-pack is that you have more control of over who goes and the trip coordinator does not have to worry about filling the boat. If one person bails at the last minute the cost can easily be absorbed by the others. A group I dive with will buy the 6-pack and eat the extra costs if we cant find the 5th and 6th diver--plus it gives us more room for bottles and scooters.

I tink a pre-requsit for such a trip would to include a brief dive bio and history to make sure the diver is good to go and the rest of the divers will know a bit about them. In a perfect world the boat would be occupied by three, two man dive teams who regularly dive together. That way you take an unknown factor out of the mix (insta buddy) while getting to know the other divers-in and out of the water.

Hey Vinny...part of this discussion thread is to find out how many people are interested and can we do our normal SingleDivers.com magic and combine diverse people into a one safe diving trip. We have done it for 4 years but everyone says the NE is different so that is why we are exploring now.

We should have enough members from the NE to fill almost any sized boat. We also want to ascertain how many from OUT of the area such as you and me want to do this diving.

I am sure that we have many CA, PNW, Great Lakes divers who all do 'cold' who would like to try NE diving. At least I hope so! :lmao:

formerly...

#29 madlobster

madlobster

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:36 PM

It would be a dive I may be interested in as well. My dive bud and I are not Nitrox yet so not sure on this as far as timing. Also I do believe the "Seeker" is now docked out of Newprot RI and does the U-853. I tried to get more on this on the net but came up short. I'll check with my buddy.
"The thing about dreams is sometimes you get to live'em out"- Payne Stewart

#30 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,701 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:12 PM

It would be a dive I may be interested in as well. My dive bud and I are not Nitrox yet so not sure on this as far as timing. Also I do believe the "Seeker" is now docked out of Newprot RI and does the U-853. I tried to get more on this on the net but came up short. I'll check with my buddy.

Thanks Bruce! Any info is greatly appreciated. The trick is WHO wants to dive the NE...HOW many days...WHAT wrecks and WHAT boat.

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users