• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Its time to dive the NorthEast!

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,702 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:20 PM

Hey its TIME to dive the North East! I've been wanting to do it forever now! Just need some help on who to use.

I've been speaking to Capt Hank with the Garloo and he seems straight up...is interested in working with us for a day or a long weekend (the boat has sleeping quarters). The boat is newly remodeled and dives in the NY area.

So what do you think?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:41 PM

I'm game...I've been wanting to do the San Diego and other NJ wrecks. When do you have in mind?

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,702 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:52 PM

I'm game...I've been wanting to do the San Diego and other NJ wrecks. When do you have in mind?

First thing is to choose the boat so then we know what dates are available. I would prefer to dive when it the warmest...ok call me a wuss... :whistle:

So that means July to Sept timeframe. However that is also hurricane season....

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#4 NJBerserker

NJBerserker

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver/ Nitrox/ DAN DEMP/ TDI Dive Medic
  • Logged Dives:~75

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:52 PM

I'm sooo in for this one. We can't really choose a boat until we know A: How many people and B: Land based or bunk on the boat. A weekend gig sounds good. We live and die by the weather up here so plans for what to do in the event of a blowout on one or more days should be considered. Weather must also be discussed with the captain as some will go out in four foot plus seas, this can be VERY dangerous when trying to get on the ladder. Just my .02.

--Ant
Proud Member of the Cooper River "A-Team"

#5 NJBerserker

NJBerserker

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:54 PM

If going out of NY U-853 would be badass, always wanted to splash there. I think it came up in discussion at BTS.

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,702 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:42 PM

If going out of NY U-853 would be badass, always wanted to splash there. I think it came up in discussion at BTS.

Who dives that wreck?

Also for purposes of an SD trip...I'd like to see perferably a multi-day trip with a sleep over on the baot or via hotel if we come back to shore. I'd like to see us stay within recreational limits ie. 130 ft or less and perhaps find a boat capt that would allow some light deco and would allow us to carry a stage/pony for safety and redunancy.

formerly...

#7 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:02 PM

Who dives that wreck?

Also for purposes of an SD trip...I'd like to see perferably a multi-day trip with a sleep over on the baot or via hotel if we come back to shore. I'd like to see us stay within recreational limits ie. 130 ft or less and perhaps find a boat capt that would allow some light deco and would allow us to carry a stage/pony for safety and redunancy.

Most Boat Captains up here require everyone to have a pony.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#8 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:29 PM

I'm down for a trip to the -853...I've been wanting to dive her for a while now.

#9 Diveaholic

Diveaholic

Getting started

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Cert Level:Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:51 AM

Hey its TIME to dive the North East! I've been wanting to do it forever now! Just need some help on who to use.

I've been speaking to Capt Hank with the Garloo and he seems straight up...is interested in working with us for a day or a long weekend (the boat has sleeping quarters). The boat is newly remodeled and dives in the NY area.

So what do you think?

Kamala,

I'm definitely up for doing some NE diving with you guys and there are a couple of boats in NY or NJ that could work, depending on the size of the group. I don't recommend doing this trip on the Garloo, however. I've never dove this boat since it became the the Garloo, and am not familiar with the remodel. I did dive once when it was the Wahoo, and haven't been back on it since. There are a couple of reasons why I don't dive on this boat and don't think it would be well-suited for a SD Trip which I've listed below. I would instead strongly recommend the Eagle's Nest for this trip. http://www.eaglesnestwreckdiving.com/

Main Concerns with Garloo:
1) This boat is built like a tank and has a huge engine. Historically, this has led the captains for this boat to be very reluctant to cancel a dive due to high seas that the other boats on LI would call a dive for. Because it is so sturdily constructed with a big engine, its captains have historically focused on getting out to the dive site as quickly as possible as opposed to taking into account the comfort and stomachs of its passengers.
2) There is no shaded area outside.
3) The ventillation in the main cabin is very poor and the air gets very stale, which is a recipe for seasickness in rough seas.
4) This boat has historically catered to old school hard core tech divers and the boat was set up with a focus on making lots of room for their gear as opposed to items that would make for a more easy or comfortable experience such as benches. (As an example, for many years, this boat had a small crane on the deck which was there for the sole purpose of lifting a giant home-grown scooter/rebreather for one of their regular customers into and out of the water. I believe the owner of it eventually died using this homemade rebreather.) A good word for this boat would be spartan.

The Eagle's Nest has none of these issues. The captain actually lives in part of the boat, and has it set up very comfortably as a result. It's definitely the most luxurious and comfortable day boat that I've ever been on. In my opinion, the Eagle's Nest is much better geared for divers of all levels. They often do half day trips on sundays with newly certified divers, which I think would probably be considered sacrilidge on the Garloo. More experienced divers are left to do their own thing however, as they are on the Garloo. The thought is that you're responsible for your well being once you hit the water. I've done solo deco dives off the eagle's nest with double's and a stage bottle on multiple occassions. To top it all off, Captain Howard is an exellent cook, and will masterfully grill up whatever food people bring on board. He actually does a couple of dive/gourmet food experiences over the summer.

#10 NJBerserker

NJBerserker

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 04:27 PM

To answer some of the first questions. U-853 is off of block island and sits in 110-130 fsw. I also will back up pirate and say that I don't know of ANY boat that will take you out without redundant air (It's usually like 13cft or something, I carry 40cft. . . I wouldn't take less than 30) or doubles. Most boats allow for deco, however many require that you do at least one NDL dive with them before they allow you to carry an obligation to hang. I wouldn't be surprised if they increased that for non local/cold water divers. Divaholic brings up a good point about boat configs. North Atlantic diving requires much more gear than the warm blue water areas and the boats have to be able to hold it. Luxury we won't find, but comfort is important. I can volunteer to help with this trip planning in the way of talking to captains and taking pictures of their boats etc. if it's needed. If you are interested at all in this trip please post so we can perhaps begin to get an idea of the numbers here.

IMPORTANT:
If you're considering coming on this trip and are not from this or another cold water area, please consider the following.

1. You will need AT LEAST an AOW certification. No boat that I know of will take you out without one as it too severely limits the sites available to them.
2. It will be cold (most likely in the low 60's if we do a late season) full 7mm and hood or drysuit is called for.
3. Most sites are deep avg. 80-130 fsw
4. You will have to carry more gear than you are probably used to.
5. 20ft. is considered good vis.

Please checkout njscuba.net for more info on NJ/NY diving.

If you are interested, please don't let that info discourage you. It is meant to inform, not scare. If you are unsure if this is the diving for you, post your concerns and I'm sure the locals will answer them.

#11 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:51 PM

I tend to use Ol Salty II a lot but I'm not sure of his schedule right now.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,702 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:07 PM

NJBerserker/Diveaholic:

Can you check out Capt Hank and see what you can find out what the scoop is on his boat SINCE the remodel? It seems the boat you are describing is essentially the old Wahoo. I've been told the new boat is definately one of comfort and has an EXCELLENT chef on it. Even the pictures seem to show vestiages of comfort. :respect:

Now we all know what you can do with pictures and photoshop but I spent a great deal of time talking to him over the past year or so and without checking out his boat myself, I'd like to have some add'l assurances he is NOT the boat we want to use.

Has ANYONE dove with him since the remodel of the boat?

And...Anthony or Greg...can you do some checking for us?

One advantage about using Garloo IF it is as it claims...she may not be as busy as some of the other captains and that could work for us.

Again thank you ALL for your input and I truly appreciate it. :wakawaka:

formerly...

#13 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:26 AM

NJB...do you have any info on a good operation that travels to the -853. The comfort thing is secondary to a safe, squared away boat with a good crew. The gear config and cold, dark conditions are not a factor. I'll have to ask my buddies if they would like to make the dive, if not I'll have to find some local buddies and do a couple easier non deco dives with them first to make sure we're on the same page.

And have you heard of the loch ness dive boat-- http://www.locknessdiveboat.com/

For those interested in comfort she loks nice-- but I think she's of out the Island.

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,702 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:29 AM

Vinny I'm with you on wanting to do the U-853.

Are you looking for a day trip or would you prefer doing a couple of days and overnight in town or on the boat?

formerly...

#15 Diveaholic

Diveaholic

Getting started

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Cert Level:Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 06 April 2008 - 04:42 PM

NJBerserker/Diveaholic:

Can you check out Capt Hank and see what you can find out what the scoop is on his boat SINCE the remodel? It seems the boat you are describing is essentially the old Wahoo. I've been told the new boat is definately one of comfort and has an EXCELLENT chef on it. Even the pictures seem to show vestiages of comfort. :thankyou:

Now we all know what you can do with pictures and photoshop but I spent a great deal of time talking to him over the past year or so and without checking out his boat myself, I'd like to have some add'l assurances he is NOT the boat we want to use.

Has ANYONE dove with him since the remodel of the boat?

And...Anthony or Greg...can you do some checking for us?

One advantage about using Garloo IF it is as it claims...she may not be as busy as some of the other captains and that could work for us.

Again thank you ALL for your input and I truly appreciate it. :cheerleader:

I'll do a little checking around on the Garloo and post my findings. Where did you see the pictures of the boat, as I didn't see any on hissite accept for a whole boat shot? Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users