• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Redundant/Extra Diving Gear on a Dive

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:28 AM

How much redundant/extra dive gear do you bring with you on each dive that you go on in case one of your primary piece of diving gear fails/breaks, I'm sure it might depend on where you are going to dive like ..
1. locally
2. outside of your country
3. live a board
4. 2 morning dive boat ops
Or do you bring the same redundant/extra dive gear on each dive regardless of where you are?

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#2 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:54 AM

When I dive locally, I always have a 19 cy ft pony bottle strapped to my main tank since I dive solo. After having a dive computer fail uinexpectedly on a long deco dive, I now carry two computers on every dive.

When I travel it is usually has a backpacker so the only gear I carry would be my reg and computers. I dive buddied up on these trips and don't take a pony (although wish I could).

#3 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 22 August 2008 - 12:08 PM

The same regardless of location. If I can't bring it or find it, I don't make the kind of dive that requires it.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#4 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 22 August 2008 - 02:02 PM

I dive the same kit no matter where. (ok.. I do go from dry to wet suit if the water temps are warm enough)
I like knowing where all my gear is located without having to look for it.

I will change things out if I am adding new gear or not comfortable with the placement.
Once I get things configured correctly that is how they stay for all dives.

I take the same "save a dive" kit ~ only leave it behind if I know my buddies kit has everything I need and we are boat diving and tight on space.

I can't imagine not having an extra mask, battery for my computer, o-rings, fin strap.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#5 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:48 PM

Great question, and it has me asking myself if I should take some redundancies into the water, like a second dive computer. I always figured if my dive computer failed, I would just get my buddy & surface, trusting the buddy to time the safety stop.

My diving is typically all in warm water, and always in 100' or less, strictly reef recreational diving and never alone so I have never considered "what might happen if"......and it's good that you've got us thinking about it. The only difference in my gear bag from trip to trip is the exposure suit.

Since my ex has always been my dive buddy and he went through air much faster, I never ran low in the past, but in the future with new buddies or groups, I might be the "air hog" and a pony will have to be considered. But, I trust that whoever buddies with me in Roatan will be there if I ever need them! :D

I usually bring the typical "save a dive kit" on the trip and onto the boat, including an entire spare prescription mask, not just a strap. Although I don't take it on the boat, I always bring a first aid kit on a dive trip that includes stuff typically needed for stings, scrapes, bites, etc.
Posted Image

#6 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 22 August 2008 - 06:15 PM

Great question, and it has me asking myself if I should take some redundancies into the water, like a second dive computer. I always figured if my dive computer failed, I would just get my buddy & surface, trusting the buddy to time the safety stop.

My diving is typically all in warm water, and always in 100' or less, strictly reef recreational diving and never alone so I have never considered "what might happen if"......and it's good that you've got us thinking about it. The only difference in my gear bag from trip to trip is the exposure suit.

Since my ex has always been my dive buddy and he went through air much faster, I never ran low in the past, but in the future with new buddies or groups, I might be the "air hog" and a pony will have to be considered. But, I trust that whoever buddies with me in Roatan will be there if I ever need them! :D

I usually bring the typical "save a dive kit" on the trip and onto the boat, including an entire spare prescription mask, not just a strap. Although I don't take it on the boat, I always bring a first aid kit on a dive trip that includes stuff typically needed for stings, scrapes, bites, etc.

As a newish diver, who right now is looking only at warm water reef recreational diving, this also has gotten me thinking... If I am diving on a boat, where the tanks are provided... are o-rings important in a save a dive kit? Is it wise to count on the boat/crew to have a spare o-ring if one blows?

Hmm....extra prescription mask...or go ahead with that lasik I've thought about??? Just wish I wasn't facing the additional change of vision that would mean reading glasses if I did do lasik....

#7 Geek

Geek

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 22 August 2008 - 06:46 PM

If I am diving locally, which is cold water diving and I get to the site by car, I'll tend to load up the car with all sorts of stuff. I'll have a lot of extra gear in case something fails or someone forgets something. I also have a rather extensive repair kit. In the water, local conditions demand either a pony or doubles and I tend to have back up instruments, mask, etc.

Traveling means airline weight limits and a warm water destination. This will tend to cause me to take much less gear with the idea of renting if something fails. I do carry an extra prescription mask and some repair materials, particularly on a liveaboard.

#8 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:08 PM

As a newish diver, who right now is looking only at warm water reef recreational diving, this also has gotten me thinking... If I am diving on a boat, where the tanks are provided... are o-rings important in a save a dive kit? Is it wise to count on the boat/crew to have a spare o-ring if one blows?

Hmm....extra prescription mask...or go ahead with that lasik I've thought about??? Just wish I wasn't facing the additional change of vision that would mean reading glasses if I did do lasik....

O-rings are small and easy to stash. I would carry mine just because.
I have been diving when someone blows and o-ring and its funny to see almost everyone yell "I have o-rings, let me grab one for you".
I look at it as being self sufficent. Better to have it along than to hope someone else has something that will work.
Sucks to sit out a dive.. O-rings are usually readily available.. but I have been on dives where a diver has NOTHING as a back up.
Had one diver need to swap out an octo.. lucky for him the boat had spares...
Seen missing masks, fins, weights, lights... You name it I have seen a diver leave it at home
(I have left a few things before.. so not saying I am better than others)
I find it best to have a routine.. Do it EVERY TIME and nothing gets left behind.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#9 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:16 PM

are o-rings important in a save a dive kit? Is it wise to count on the boat/crew to have a spare o-ring if one blows?

Yup, I carry a half dozen. However, mine are the NITROX friendly kind. You can rely on others, but best to be prepared yourself. The boat crew could be dealing with someone else's issues.

Local dives I carry a hard wall plastic tool box with everything, 30 Cu FT Pony, 2 DC's. 2 knives, Waterproof watch as a backup timepiece.

Outside of the country 'Save a dive kit'. Scuba Tool, Spare reg, No tool box, no pony unless I can rent it.

Live aboard Same.

2 tank dive ops Same.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#10 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:44 PM

Its something to think about.

(true story)
I was on a dive trip and it was far away from any LDS and my house, suddenly my high pressure seat in my first stage gave way. I had the regular "save a dive" kit but I wasn't planning on a failure in my regulator kit(not in a million years), especially sense my first stage was practically brand new. Dr Bill thanks for bringing up backpacking because that is what I feel like when I need to travel...when at all possible, I would rather have all my gear/stuff as a carry on, instead of checking in the bags. Luckily for me, my dive buddy had a 2nd set of regs but also had a 3rd set of complete regs including the octo and dive computer. If it wasn't for my buddy I would have been a bubble watcher for the rest of the trip. This has caused me to re-think everything and I will most likely carry a 2nd complete set of regs on my next out of town trip.

Whats a short list of your diving equipment on every dive?.

Mike

Amazon.com

#11 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, Cavern
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:44 PM

How much redundant/extra dive gear do you bring with you on each dive that you go on in case one of your primary piece of diving gear fails/breaks, I'm sure it might depend on where you are going to dive like ..
1. locally
2. outside of your country
3. live a board
4. 2 morning dive boat ops
Or do you bring the same redundant/extra dive gear on each dive regardless of where you are?

Mike

...yeah Mike, I've been wondering if I should starting bringing spare/redundant gear as well....... what do you think I should do ? :D

Karl

#12 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:04 PM

Karl

what do you think I should do ?

I think you should trade me for that Sherwood, Apec, Cochran that was dragged over the coral beds... you have.....(not new anymore :teeth: ) for my Mares Kit that is in the shop now because of you :D

I'm just saying "how much is to much and how little is to little ?

Whats in your "save a dive kit" on Steriods :cool2:

Mike

Amazon.com

#13 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:28 PM

Karl , Mike

Well as we know on this last trip having backups is always a good thing. as recently on the Flower gardens trip I started a dive and at 55 feet had the high pressure seat on my first stage fail, and fail wide open in free flow mode (the exact opposite that most poseidon detractors state) allowing me to get back to the surface (BTW it bleed 1800 PSI out of a LP 108 in less then 1 minute) safely without issue other then not being able to see in the torrent of bubbles .

Well i brought a second first stage with me so i was able to switch out second stages and get go back to diving. That event had brought up to me that its time to go to h-valves on any deep dives (>60') as if i have something go wrong i can shut that post down to save gas, and either attempt to repressurise the stage to see if it will reseat and maitain pressure or need to thumb the dive and ascend.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#14 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:59 PM

I can certainly see the practicality of having gear redundancies on a live-aboard, when you'd end up a bubble watcher if a piece of equipment dies on you -- too much chance that a "loaner" would not be available. Those of us fairly new to diving still rent tanks & weights, and we tend to dive where rental gear can keep us diving if we have a failure.

And if you're on an SD trip..... sounds to me like most of you could come up with any item somebody suddenly needed!

As an aside, I have had it recommended to me to replace the O-rings in my save-a-dive kit periodically, even if they were never used. This is because there could be degradation of the o-ring over time. Anybody know how often they should be replaced if unused?
Posted Image

#15 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:30 PM

I ended out buying a second rebreather just in case I have a failure on the first. (I also use it for instruction of my students.) It packs inside of a bag that can fit in an overhead for traveling. I haven't ever had to use it . . . yet. Let's just say that I won't be able to retire for a while. :D
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users