• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Redundant/Extra Diving Gear on a Dive

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 Geek

Geek

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:36 AM

A couple additional points come to mind:

O-rings need to be a complete set of what you need for your own gear. There are sizes that may be different from one set of equipment to the next. I also carry one of the flat washers that goes between the elbow and the BC, having had a leak there in the past.

A Scubatool was mentioned, but I carry a more complete tool kit. I particularly recommend adding a Schraeder valve tool to your tool kit.

Repair materials include Aquaseal, Seal Cement, surgical tubing, line and bungee cord. Double enders are handy.

A few extra batteries in whatever sizes you need for lights are another good idea.

The question of "How much is too much?" depends on where I am going. Airlines have weight limits. Locally, it is a matter of whether it fits in the car.

I've gradually added stuff to repair anything I have broken myself or someone has broken on a dive I have been on.

#17 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 23 August 2008 - 05:32 AM

Same setup for local and travel except for the SS BP&W for cold water and if there are weight restrictions on the flight I won't take the pony.

If you use a combo 2nd and inflator you should put the original inflator in your save-a-dive kit! If your combo were to fail a liveaboard could fix you up with a 2nd but they rarely carry extra inflators so you would end up wearing an unfamiliar BC which is why I'm not wearing my BP&W in the avitar.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#18 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 23 August 2008 - 12:08 PM

...yeah Mike, I've been wondering if I should starting bringing spare/redundant gear as well....... what do you think I should do ? :birthday:

Karl

Karl -
If you could just fit a shingle in your bag, you could open an LDS with just the extras on your back.... :birthday:

Seriously - if people thought a little more about their safety, and a lot more about the possibility of losing a dive day on a multi-thousand dollar trip - we'd all have a configuration closer to yours.

Watching two first stage failures on this trip, I think the movement to H-valves has merit.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#19 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 24 August 2008 - 03:26 PM

INteresting question in that I was looking at it two way..What do you take on a dive trip (ie a save a dive kit) vs what do you take underwater with you?

I know underwater depends some on where I am. For example, diving locally here in mud holes with lots of fishermen, I take both a knife and shears. When I am diving in a marine park like Cozumel, they forbid knives, so they get left behind.

I do dive with multiple computers. Having had failures for multiple reasons, including user error, its nice to be able to switch to the other computer and be good to go.

As far as to the dive site goes..At home, throwing in multiple suits, regs, tanks and extra weight is easy when I am driving to the dive site. When I fly to a destination, it is more what can I get into my bag with weight, so its generally extra fin straps, mask straps, and spare batteries.

#20 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, Cavern
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:04 PM

How much redundant/extra dive gear do you bring with you on each dive that you go on in case one of your primary piece of diving gear fails/breaks, I'm sure it might depend on where you are going to dive like ..
1. locally
2. outside of your country
3. live a board
4. 2 morning dive boat ops
Or do you bring the same redundant/extra dive gear on each dive regardless of where you are?

Mike

Hi Mike,

boy, this can get to be an involved question....let me provide a baseline 'picture' of my typical trip 'arsenal' :

2 or 3 COMPLETE reg sets, including computers, meaning 4 - 6 computers too.
lights: 10W HID DR 'can' light / 2 Halcyon LED 'Scouts' / 1 or 2 'loaner' lights / several 'tank lights'
1 set of fins (stainless steel springs straps...won't lose/break these ! )
1 BC ( either my 'lite' Zeagle Ranger if space/weight restricted...otherwise my 'heavy' DeepOutdoors BP/Oxycheq dual-bladder wing)
2 or 3 masks
1 snorkel
1 pair booties
2 or 3 pairs of dive socks
1 dive watch
1 or 2 wrist slates
2 'lite' beenies (tropical) or 1 heavier hood
1 wetsuit ( anywhere from 3 - 7 mm depending on conditions )
1-2 pairs of gloves
2 SMB's
2 or 3 underwater 'quackers/airhorns'
1 emergency signal strobe ( rated to 1000 ' deep.... :-)
1 Nitrox Analyzer
1 knife
(did take a pony bottle/reg on a liveaboard trip a couple of years ago, but never used it on a dive......am thinking about taking it on my 12/08 Socorro Islands/Nautilus Explorer trip, but given the recent airlines crackdown on weight, plus the additional weight/bulk of my new camera set-up, it's looking more and more shakey that I'll bother with it. ....sigh.)

(not to mention an expanding amount of camera gear)

...if it's a road trip (ie TX Flower Gardens), add 1 or 2, to several extra scuba tanks / soft weights.

...if I'm weight restricted, I will leave the following behind :

Nitrox Analyzer (if I'm SURE I'll have easy access on site to another one)
'Can' Light
...I'll cut down to 2 COMPLETE reg sets, not 3...I won't go anywhere without at least 2 COMPLETE reg sets ! )
...if I'm really desperate, I'll leave my beloved Apollo Bio fins behind and use my 'old' DR 'paddle' fins...as they're a bit lighter, so far I've not done that for 'real' though.

Save A Dive Kit

...boy, the sky is the limit here, here's what comes to mind :

batteries (rechargable or otherwise) to support everything listed above. (lights/cameras/computers)/ and associated battery chargers
mask defog
spare mouthpieces / tie wraps / tie wrap 'gun'
COMPLETE spare BC inflator assembly, inc. LP hose
various small tools (pliers/crescent wrenches/allen wrenches/ non-adjustable wrenches / O-ring picks / silicone lube / scuba 'tool' / various small screw drivers)
spare BC exhaust bottom-dump valve
snorkel keeper
spare HP and LP 1st-stage port plugs
LOTS of various O-rings
suntan lotion
screw-in 'DIN inserts' for my dual mode DIN/Yoke valved tanks.

...we could have a whole additional chapter on 'personal' supplies (ie various meds , etc. )

Karl

#21 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, Cavern
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:18 PM

...yeah Mike, I've been wondering if I should starting bringing spare/redundant gear as well....... what do you think I should do ? :P

Karl

Karl -
If you could just fit a shingle in your bag, you could open an LDS with just the extras on your back.... :teeth:

Seriously - if people thought a little more about their safety, and a lot more about the possibility of losing a dive day on a multi-thousand dollar trip - we'd all have a configuration closer to yours.

Watching two first stage failures on this trip, I think the movement to H-valves has merit.

Hi Mark,

...yeah, sometimes I might over do it a bit, but if a fellow diver is down with a gear issue, I'm usually the go-to-person to loan items or do minor repairs...I'd like to think others would help me if I were in a similar position. Local rental gear is spotty, and I'm VERY picky about diving complete/high-performance/maintained/clean gear.....I'm a much happier/more relaxed diver diving "my" stuff...... and given the financial/time investment in so many trips, I'll be d*mned if I'm gonna be tripped up by crappy/leaky life-support gear....that's penny-wise and pound-foolish !

I like the H-valve suggestion, I've got half a dozen really cool Beuchat Y-valves, unfortunately, that's impractical in most dive travel situations.....guess for recreational diving trips, I'll have to continue to put my faith in Senior Tech and go with a single reg at a time ! :dance:

Karl

#22 mountainminnow

mountainminnow

Getting started

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water-novice
  • Logged Dives:17

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:10 PM

god i love this......

its amazing how many things i have not considered. Looking back on the few dives Ive had makes me realize what could have gone wrong.

It has seemed so easy to follow the dive masters dive profile and simply dive....makes me consider how many things can go wrong- although I don't like to think about it....ya'll make me realize that I should.

Thank you-Thank you singledivers.com!!!!!!

Daniel

#23 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:53 PM

...yeah, sometimes I might over do it a bit, but if a fellow diver is down with a gear issue, I'm usually the go-to-person to loan items or do minor repairs...

If you thought I was suggesting you over did it... that may be one of the few times you have been WRONG.

I like the way you dive and how you equip yourself.

I also want to publicly state you are THE most giving diver I've met - not just in loans and fixes - but you'll stop mid-thought to help someone out with gear, repairs, advice or just a supporting hand.

You are one of my biggest heroes. Thanks for being a role model of diving and of generosity.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#24 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:43 AM

This is a good topic. I get concerned about equipment failures mostly on extended travel trips, where gear repairs and replacements are likely to be difficult and time consuming. Live-aboards probably pose the biggest threat as I see it. My essential duplicates on those trips are a spare computer, mask, primary reg, secondary reg with hose, SPG, and dive light. I carry a redundant gas supply for all diving below about 30ft, but, when I travel it is usually just my little 6cu ft. pony bottle.
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#25 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:57 AM

I've looked at all the responses on this thread and looked at what I bring on a dive trip and on each dive I make (either in drybag or on my person on the dive).

One first stage + primary second stage reg.
One BC with alt air hose inflater (kind with regulator built in)
2 wetsuits (3mm + 5mm)
one beanie
one dive 3mm dive vest
two masks (both prescription)
3 pairs dive socks, thin kind (I like them to be dry :blush2: )
one pair full foot fins
mask defog goop
dismantled snorkel in BC pocket
safety sausage
dive-alert
whistle
dive gloves
bug lotion
sunblock
hat
3-4 torches (yes, I have a torch fetish :fish2:)
2 computers (but somehow I usually only put one into the water... duh...)
The above all (except one computer and one mask which are in my Porter case carryon) goes into a wheeled duffle and weighs in at ~18 kg.

Now the essential stuff that I need redundancy on for every dive and trip:
Camera + lenses + housing (would have redundancy here, but I can't afford that AND be able to go on the trip too! :diver: )
two strobes (use two all the time... ) + 4 battery packs
two sets of double strobe sync cords
two sets of single strobe sync cords
housing O-rings + backups
O-ring grease (need to have 3 types for the different O-ring types) + backups
digital media + card reader + backups
external hard drive (backup)

laptop (alas only have one but can use the resort computers as a backup!)
various strobe arms, diffusers, chargers, various wrenches
Ports and diopters
The above all goes into my Porter case :canada: (22"x14"x9") and is my carryon (18kgs) + camera bag.

While I prefer my own dive gear, I'll rent if needed and have in the past when my fins broke, but when it comes to the camera, there are no loaners available anywhere (boats or at resorts) :welcome: So gotta bring it with backups!

Geez, don't any of you take pictures on your dives???? Talk about essential dive gear......

#26 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:35 AM

This could be a very long list. But thanks to weight restrictions when I travel, I have to condense everything.

In my SCUBA bag I carry the following:
1) Fins
2) Booties
3) Mask
4) Back up Rx Mask (I've lost contacts on dive trips)
5) Snorkel
6) Knife
7) BC
8) Compass
9) 3mm and 5mm wetsuits (if I'm diving a lot, I get very chilled by the end of the week)
10) Dive skin
11) 3mm hooded vest
12) 3mm hood
13) Doo-Rag (my hair is always all over the place)
14) Regulator w SPG
15) Small mesh bag
16) Gloves
17) Weight belt or pouches if needed
18) Dive Alert
19) Safety sausage
20) Whistle
21) Mirror
22) Plenty of octo keepers and clips
23) Slate
24) Dry box: scuba tool, o-rings, lube, extra mouthpiece, fin straps, mask strap
25) Light, backup light, and 2 tank lights

In my carryon I keep my:
1) Dive computer (air integrated). It'll be 2 once I buy my back-up.
2) Log book w cert cards
3) Wear my dive watch
4) AA, C, and camera batteries (and always and extra set just in case)

And of course my camera case (carry-on):
1) Housing
2) Strobe
3) Sync cord
4) Camera
5) Moisture packs, anti-fog, o-rings (any other extras that might be needed to help the camera function)
6) Flash cards
7) Card reader
8) Laptop w charger
9) Hitch (to backup pics to the iPod)
10) iPod w charger
11) Quarter (to get my camera off the housing base)
12) Small towel to dry off the housing

WOW! I bring a lot of crap! Some how I manage to fit it all in and make the weight requirements. When I get my SLR up and running for underwater use, it is REALLY going to be a lot of gear! Oh well, at least if I need it, I have it!

:cheerleader:

#27 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:01 AM

Geez, don't any of you take pictures on your dives???? Talk about essential dive gear......

:cheerleader: Yeah, but since nobody will really miss much if I don't take any pics (I'm really terrible at it, but I keep trying!), redundancy of that gear isn't quite as important for me as, say, a second dive computer or reg.
Posted Image

#28 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:07 AM

:respect: Yeah, but since nobody will really miss much if I don't take any pics (I'm really terrible at it, but I keep trying!), redundancy of that gear isn't quite as important for me as, say, a second dive computer or reg.

Just like anything else.... the more you do it the better you get! :cheerleader:

#29 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:45 AM

It is very true. Underwater photography takes practice and luck. I just took an U/W digital photo course, and it has helped me tremendously. I would highly suggest it, if you haven't done so already. My pictures are starting to look like the pros. :respect: Alright, maybe not quite yet, but at least in my mind I think they do. :unhappy:

:cheerleader:

#30 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:07 PM

Karl

question. the coloring of your hoses is unique to say the least (others on the FG trip had them) but are those covers to standard hoses or are those the new miraflex hoses?

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users