• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Singles Week Roatan...May the fun begin!

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#31 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:52 PM

Great trip!! Great people!!!
Thanks to all u'all for making my first SD Trip soo wonderful!!! (can't wait till next time)

Yesiree!!! And we'll see you over New Year's for sure...maybe even Curacoa in Nov! :flirt:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#32 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:56 PM

Roatan was awesome! The shark & dolphin dives were definitely the highlight of the trip for me. It was great meeting everyone and diving with you all, or should I say y'all. I've got to go through my pictures and figure out how to post on this site and I will probably post the shark video I took on "youtube". Sisiq-- glad you made your flight. I had a couple of martinis while I waited for my departure which left & landed on time. Martinis are as effective as xanex which I did not know but will remember for other trips.
Anthony

Its not hard. Click on this link here.

1. Click on the far right tab/button that says NEW IMAGE.
2. It will open a dialog box where you enter the title of your picture and the same info in the box. (Note you must enter something in the subject line AND the dialog box.)
3. Choose to add the copywrite info if you like.
4. Then click on BROWSE button to locate the picture on your harddrive.
5. Then click on POST IMAGE button at the very bottom.
6. And you can choose to let you know if others make comments about your pictures. (This is optional!)

Its that simple. Simply do the same to load another picture! :flirt:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#33 acas1207

acas1207

Getting started

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:54 PM

I went back out later Saturday night to check out the local scene. Brian and his testacles were playing again. I think that was the name of the band. They were good... they rocked. This was the same band that played the one night we all went out.

Mitch,

I think it's "Brion and the Genitals". He must have a hard time getting band mates with a name like that. It'd be an even tougher sell to find other bandmates to be "his testicles". I had wanted to go back to that spot the next night but I didn't want to miss the pig roast. Sounds like you had a good last day.

Anthony

#34 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 09 September 2008 - 02:18 PM

OK, I haven't seen a lengthy trip report for Roatan, so I'll add a few details for all the new members who have never been on an SD trip. This was my first trip with SD and I didn't know what to expect, but I have to say that I had a great time! Everyone was friendly and more than helpful when needed. I met a lot of great people, laughed a lot, dived safely and made some new friends. Far exceeded my expectations, and I'm already looking to book my next SD trip.

Most of us arrived on Saturday, but with the rough seas we did not get a Saturday checkout dive done, so I snorkeled the house reef on Sat. afternoon. On Sunday, we were separated onto 3 boats and we did 3 dives each of the next 5 days, with some of us doing 2 more dives on Friday morning. Some were drift dives and others were moored dives, but all of them were fun. We were allowed to dive our computer profiles, which is not usual with a typical boat group. I was lucky enough to dive with all 3 boats during the week, so I got to dive with just about everybody - thanks, everyone! The waters are extremely warm and the coral is suffering from that, with some bleaching and algae growth, and careless divers do some damage too. But, there was a wide variety of corals, both hard and soft. Some dive spots had more sea life than others, but in general there was less fish than other locations I have dived (what Caribbean site can compare to the vast quantity of sea life in Bonaire??) I have posted a few pictures, but hope the folks who have better camera gear post some for you to see.

We had breakfast before we headed out for 2 dives each morning, returning to the resort for lunch before heading out for the afternoon dive. Some took advantage of the optional 4th "drop off" dive at the house reef. There was 1 night dive and we saw several very large crabs out on the hunt, many lobster and an octopus too. I will let someone else talk about the shark dive, as I did not go on that one. The dolphin dive was very cool, we were down nearly an hour on that dive, watching/touching/petting the dolphins. There was a videographer on the dive, and many of us purchased the DVD of our group dive. Both SusiQ and I had our 100th dive on this trip, and we each buddied up with Kamala. I ended up slightly behind SusiQ on the dive count, as I fought with mal-de-mer the first 2 days until Stan aka Scubaski came to my rescue with some effective meds. So, we did not have the same dive as our 100th as we hoped to. After the afternoon dive, we did our own thing until dinner. Monday afternoon many of us went to town to scrounge for costumes and souvenirs, and/or adult beverages.... The costume contest was fun, and Starfish and I won. I'm sure someone will post the incriminating photos.... The fund raising crab races held on Thursday night almost started an internation incident, with ScubaKen from Canada and Knighthawk from Oklahoma mixing it up in a "Canada vs. USA" side bet, which helped raise a bunch of money for the kids of Roatan. Don't know what the Canuck was feeding his crabs before the races, but he smoked the USA crabs. We want a re-match! SD now holds the crab race distinction of holding the #1 and #2 spots for "most raised funds" - kudos to Kamala, who really works hard to open our hearts & wallets for the kids. Friday afternoon was the zip line at Gumbalimba, which was an absolute blast for most of us. Friday evening, while Cam and Kamala were at the airport working on the TACA issue, some kids came to play the steel pan drums for us, and 6 of us were "volunteered" to learn a short song, and we played for everybody. I really don't know how that sounded to the audience, but I enjoyed playing!

All in all, a fun trip with many fun people, with some quality diving thrown in. What more can you ask for?
Posted Image

• Guests

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:46 PM

Yep it was a good trip because of all you guys. I want to thank everyone for being patient with me. I had a lot going on and just couldn't get into it as much as I had hoped. But even with that you guys made it a good time anyway so I personally want to thank you all.

THANKS

Sweetie! That's what its all about! We've all been hit with bad news...I'm just glad you had some good folks to lean on! KUDOS to this group! :flirt:

Yeah that is what I am starting to pick up on. Sorry, I'm used to the Air Force, people acting like humans is novel to me but quite nice. I could get used to that. Time for vacation number 2.

PS: You're a very clever wench :D See you in Grenada over my BIRTHDAY :teeth: thanks

#36 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:25 PM

So the gear is rehabed and ready for the next trip. Cozumel in December if you must know.

Anyway Tammy about covered it but I will add my grades.

BIBR overall -- B
Kind of a quaint place all in all. I was in an offsite condo that was very nice except for the little water situation.

Food -- C-
Breakfast was OK. Lunch grill and the salad and beans and rice were OK. Dinner was always an adventure. I recommend skipping the shrimp night. Several of us were not quite right after that.

Food Staff -- A

Dive Staff-- A

Diving-- B
I had built it up a little in my mind and it was not quite there. Turtles, eels, seahorses. But the fish life is just coming back. Small stuff was hard to find. I would say good not great.

Crab Races and Pig Roast -- A+
Go Canada!!! I may be American but I knew Ken had talent. Thanks for covering my bets!!!! Oh Canada...... $1600 bucks in one night!!! Outstanding. I asked Cam what a normal night was and she said "Oh about $250." We did six weeks in one night!!!

Cam and her huge Heart -- A+

Single Divers -- A+
Great comraderie, good fun and some great new friends. I will see you all soon.

I will try and get a couple photos uploaded although I had a bad photo trip. Gotta love digital. Delete regroup.

Fred

Edited by ev780, 09 September 2008 - 09:21 PM.

"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#37 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:42 PM

Crab Races and Pig Roast -- A+
Go Canada!!! I may be American but I knew Ken had talent. Thanks for covering my bets!!!! Oh Canada...... $1600 buck in one night!!! Outstanding. I asked Cam what a normal night was and she said "Oh about $250." We did six weeks in one night!!!

As someone who works with kids on a day to day basis....I have to say BIG KUDOS to the group!!! Those dollars will go a LONG way and mean a great deal in the lives of some youngsters! YOU ALL ROCK!!!

#38 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:22 PM

I managed to get a few of my better photos uploaded. Let me know what you think. Not my best work but I was a little impatient this trip for some reason.

Fred
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#39 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:05 AM

OK, I haven't seen a lengthy trip report for Roatan, so I'll add a few details for all the new members who have never been on an SD trip.

At first I was afraid you had NOT gotten the memo that YOU were nominated to write the long trip report...but then I realized you had when you wrote that AWESOME dive report! ;)

formerly...

#40 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:08 AM

I managed to get a few of my better photos uploaded. Let me know what you think. Not my best work but I was a little impatient this trip for some reason.

Fred

Thank you Fred! Impatient or not...you were...er...I mean 'they' are great! ;)

Check them out HERE!

formerly...

#41 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:10 AM

Looks good to me....

Feather Duster by ev780

Posted Image

formerly...

#42 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:11 AM

Cool shot of the wreck...ev780!!!

Posted Image

formerly...

#43 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:12 AM

Great turtle shot ev780! ;)

Posted Image

formerly...

#44 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:13 AM

Ok one more...then you can check the rest out yourself... Thank you AGAIN ev780! Great shot of the seahorse!

Posted Image

formerly...

#45 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:15 AM

Hey Tammy aka Landlocked Dive Nut....I'm soooooooooooooooooo glad this was NOT my butt! ;)

Posted Image

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users