• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Hurricane Ike

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#151 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:28 AM

Lee, glad to hear you are ok and everything is pretty much in tact.

Well I found some more water damage in my apartment and mold growing in my closet. Luckily, my plastic bin housing my ski clothes is what got wet. All my clothes, shoes, and purses seem to be doing fine. My front doorframe had one little crack and now has multiple large cracks in it. Seems the whole side of my apartment got wet and it is the side facing the hallway. My guess is the wind drove the rain straight down the hall and it got into the walls. My apartment is first, so I probably sustained the most damage in that area of the complex. My neighbor across the hall has water problems in all the same places. Crazy!

:cheerleader:

#152 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:06 AM

I know several people (including my Galveston house and the Houston Emergency Center) had issues with water blowing through air vents into their houses, soaking things that way.
Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

#153 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 19 September 2008 - 01:54 PM

My A/C is back on line now which was the last thing needing to get fixed. Went to the store and got produce for the fridge. Sure is great to eat real food again. :teeth:

My prayers are with those still struggling (and there are many in this area) that their lives will be restored to normal as soon as possible

Edited by Mermaid Lady, 19 September 2008 - 01:55 PM.

Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#154 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:00 PM

My A/C is back on line now which was the last thing needing to get fixed. Went to the store and got produce for the fridge. Sure is great to eat real food again. :(

My prayers are with those still struggling (and there are many in this area) that their lives will be restored to normal as soon as possible

Glad things are back to normal for you. :teeth: our other members fare as well soon!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#155 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:17 PM

I know several people (including my Galveston house and the Houston Emergency Center) had issues with water blowing through air vents into their houses, soaking things that way.

Hi Lee,
So glad you're OK and that your house is still standing. You're definitely in my prayers that everything will be restored to normal as quickly as possible.

The scary part is that so many of the dead may never be found as they were simply washed out to sea. Our thoughts and prayers for them and their next of kin.:teeth:

Edited by Mermaid Lady, 19 September 2008 - 02:19 PM.

Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#156 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:09 PM

The scary part is that so many of the dead may never be found as they were simply washed out to sea. Our thoughts and prayers for them and their next of kin.:teeth:

This is very true, my contact on the maryland SAR team, said that when they where coming into galvestion via the water they saw evidence of just that, and also found several boats that looked like they tried to out run the storm but didnt as they found several yachts lost at sea with little or no signs of there captains or owners.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#157 shawnabbott

shawnabbott

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:59 PM

my dad told me a chilling story, whereby he almost went down to Caplen to secure his old cabin on thurs. and planned to return friday, but then decided not to. he said other friends did just that, some to get things and leave, others to stay, and unfortunately the storm surge came in thurs. nite and they couldn't leave fri. ...some are missing as those homes were washed away...

#158 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:20 PM

my dad told me a chilling story, whereby he almost went down to Caplen to secure his old cabin on thurs. and planned to return friday, but then decided not to. he said other friends did just that, some to get things and leave, others to stay, and unfortunately the storm surge came in thurs. nite and they couldn't leave fri. ...some are missing as those homes were washed away...

How awful, so glad he didn't go. A blessing in the midst of so much tragedy.

#159 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:900+

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:30 AM

Here's a link from the Boston Globe that has pictures from the entire path of Ike:

http://www.boston.co...ul_life_of.html

There's one picture I would like to see - the 2 barges blocking a part of the east bound lanes and all of the west bound lanes of Highway 73 near Port Arthur. I didn't have my camera with me yesterday when I was in that area helping to clean out a flooded house of a co-worker so don't have one myself.

The mess will take years to clean up - tanks, storage containers (like those you see on trucks and ships), dead cows/fish/other unidentified things, boats and the leaked oil. The storm surge caused much more damage than the wind/tornadoes from what I've seen - those 2 barges took out about 1/2 mile of a electric feeder line and that's going to take months to get going since it's in a marsh area.

Things are looking quite a bit better though - about 60% of Beaumont now has power and the water doesn't have to be boiled because of the salt water contamination. Slowly but surely things are getting back to normal :cool1: .

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#160 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:07 AM

My goodness - seeing the hurricane in the news from afar is one thing. Reading all your personal survial stories is another. I am so glad you are all OK. SD really is a great community. Thinking of you as you all get your lives back together.
Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

#161 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:37 PM

I saw the pics from the Boston Globe yesterday, and it is still hard to take in. I am just glad you all made it safely. You are in my thoughts and prayers as the recovery continues.

#162 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:03 PM

Theresa and Victoria

Thanks for the offers to go look for my friend, she finally got ahold of me the next day which calmed me down as she was the last person I hadnt heard from. Sorry if i sounded a little panicked but Im very protective of this person as she has been a great friend to me over the past couple of years. She rode out the storm at her offices EOC so she was good and taken care of.

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#163 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:11 AM

My friend sent this to me and I had to share. Sing along to the tune of Vanilla Ice's, Ice Ice Baby...

Ike Ike Baby, Ike Ike Baby
All right stop, evacuate and listen
Ike is here with some big ambition
People, close your homes up tightly
It’s blowing like a hurricane daily and nightly
Where will it stop? Yo-I don't know
Turn off the lights and let’s go
To the coastline Ike rocks like a vandal
Start up the car and watch me drive like an animal

Dang, hardware store sales boom
Ike’s killing my plans like a poisonous mushroom
Deadly, evacuate they tell me
Anyone left will be charged with a felony
Love it or hate it, you better get away
Ike will hit the bull's eye, the storm don't play
If you’re on vacation, Yo, Ike stalled it
Check out the eye while the bands revolve it

Hurricane Ike Ike Baby, Hurricane Ike Ike Baby

Now that the people are jumpin’
With their stuff packed up and the gas done pumpin'
Quick to the road, to the road no fakin’
Pass McD’s get a burger with bacon
Burnin’ ‘em and follow the symbol
I go crazy when I hear some imbecile
Revving, in a souped up Pinto
Now I can roll, it's time to crack the window
Rollin’ in my Chevy Tahoe
With my window down, I can feel Ike blow
My laptop’s on standby, Waiting for some Wi-fi
This spot hot? No – and I gotta fly
Kept on pursuing to the next block
I busted a left and I'm beating the clock
The light was red

Yo -- so I continued to I-37 to San Antonio
Wish I was there in a blink like a jeanie
How I’d love to be sippin’ a martini
Jealous 'cause my girl’s living fine
She left yesterday and was there by nine
Ready to give my homies a call
My homies acting ill because their car just stalled
Humidity, the air is sticky as hell
Ike’s on his way, the weatherman yells
Moving toward the gulf coast real fast
I’m in my car, can’t give it no gas
Bumper to bumper the interstate’s packed
I'm trying to get away before Ike attacks
Police on the scene, what can it mean?
They hooked me up, now there’s another lane free
If you’re on vacation, Yo, Ike stalled it
Check out the eye while the bands revolve it

Yo man, let's get out of here! Word to your mother!

:birthday:

#164 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:900+

Posted 26 September 2008 - 07:39 PM

I've heard several amazing stories from people surviving the storm on the Bolivar Peninsula - one lady had stayed at her ground level house and someone I work with was on the phone with her. She had 4 feet of water in her house and told him she really made a mistake on this one. He told her to get her life jacket on, swim to the cabin across the street and break in and ride it out there. The line went dead so he didn't know if she heard him. When a group made it to her house yesterday it was gone but the cabin across the street was there. They found muddy footprints, broken glass in the door and cans that had been opened so it appears she made it.

Sad news - apparently the footprints were not hers. They found her body in south Chambers county yesterday and positively identified her today. :D

They are letting property owners back into the Bolivar peninsula and my dad, a friend and I are going tomorrow morning to see if there is anything salvageable where our cabin used to be. Judging by the pictures and video it's unlikely...

According to the Spree/Fling websites both boats made it through the storm ok and are in Galveston helping with cleanup by housing emergency workers. The rest of the trips this diving season have been canceled.

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#165 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:17 AM

It's very sad that not everyone made it through Ike. My thoughts and prayers out to anyone who has lost a friend or loved one. And, I am so grateful that many of our SD friends have checked in, and came through the storm better than many others did.

This storm did a lot more damage that I would have expected out of a Cat 2 storm, probably due to low land and high storm surge. I found this link showing many, many photos, both before and after. The devastation is truly horrific, and must be even more so for those who live there. However, the spirit and teamwork of the residents is truly inspiring! Community is not just a word.

Link here
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users