• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Discussion...DRIFTDIVING the Keys MAY 14-19 and Floating Hotel!

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#16 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:49 AM

is this to be in place of the Coral spawning trip? And is there a typo in the prices? As in 1275 for 5 daus and 875 for 3 days?

Keith

NO...it would be in addition to Dry Tortugas in Aug which is CORAL SPAWNING and probably the ONLY time a group will get to charter the boat for those days. Typcially this week is reserved as an open booking meaing that ANYONE who wants to go can and it is not chartered by a dive group or dive shop.

We are first to be able to book it and its a 'one time only thing'!

However diving will not be cheap in 2009. The cost of living is not cheap and many dive operators will not survive another hard year. So trying to find affordable options for 2009 and beyond is even harder than it used to be. :teeth:

Yep...a typo...thanks Keith!

Edited by WreckWench, 01 October 2008 - 10:09 AM.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#17 fairfield59

fairfield59

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:102

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:58 AM

Kammie, this is the dive trip I have been waiting for! Been to the Upper Keys several times but the WX always precluded shore based ops from reaching the Duane or Bibb. Spree is a terrific solution. I am in, I don't care how many dishes I must wash, floors I must scrub, toenails I must polish...

...er... let's just forget I typed that, okay? :teeth: [/font][/size]

Ok first off..."Wenchie" is ok...Kammie has got to go. :)

As for forgetting the toe polishing...NOPE! Big NO on that one! I can see you have GREAT potential to be a superb SD Cabana Boy! :teeth:

"Kammie"? That is SO you! You should seriously think about changing your screen name......

#18 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:07 AM

Sounds like a fun trip--count me in as interested in going! The Speigel is a great dive when conditions are clear, and I'd love to dive the Vandenburg if we can.
It would be great if we can find a way to avoid having to drive from Miami to Key West, only to park the car (rental) while we dive. I'm interested in the logistics (fly into Marathon/Key West?).
I'm sure it'll all work. :teeth: Looking forward to more details.

You can fly in and out of Key West. You can fly into a cheaper airport and then carpool as I know everyone going needs to make it to Key West somehow someway. There is also a ferry but I don't know much about it.

Almost everyone carpooled when we did the Dry Tortugas in July and it worked out great so that part I'm not worried about. Many of our local members joined us and were able to help in the carpooling and some rented cars to do the same thing.

My plan is to get this locked in if enough people are interested as soon as I can so you all can have LOTS of time to figure out the logistics!

And some will want to arrive early or stay late and do MORE diving off the day boats which will also work!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#19 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:07 AM

Hmmmmm.. a week to explore the Keys and hang with The Spree crew...

Sounds like a perfect trip.

Can't say yes or no at this time.. will be watching this thread very closely.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#20 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:10 AM

Actually if this works out you'll have TWO chances to do the same...one in May and one in August! Take your pick! (Of course the latter would be watching sponges spawn!) :teeth:

formerly...

#21 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:39 AM

Actually if this works out you'll have TWO chances to do the same...one in May and one in August! Take your pick! (Of course the latter would be watching sponges spawn!) :teeth:

At one point you were saying you were doing a Spree trip July 4th. Has that dropped out?

#22 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:46 AM

At one point you were saying you were doing a Spree trip July 4th. Has that dropped out?

You are correct...the 4th is no longer going to work for several reasons. First off the locals usually have friends and family join them for the 4th and they can't join us as readily as other times of the year. (This may not be entirely accurate but sums up a lot of the feedback I've gotten so far.)

Also doing two trips to the same destination is TOUGH especially if only 1 month apart. And third...I was going to do the 4th of July UNTIL I had a chance to do the Coral Spawning trip which is TOO COOL! So I had to seize that 'one time chance' for our members! :teeth:

formerly...

#23 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:29 AM

What dates are the possible dates for the 5 day option?

#24 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:35 AM

You are correct...the 4th is no longer going to work for several reasons. First off the locals usually have friends and family join them for the 4th and they can't join us as readily as other times of the year. (This may not be entirely accurate but sums up a lot of the feedback I've gotten so far.)

Also doing two trips to the same destination is TOUGH especially if only 1 month apart. And third...I was going to do the 4th of July UNTIL I had a chance to do the Coral Spawning trip which is TOO COOL! So I had to seize that 'one time chance' for our members! :teeth:

:teeth:

The plus of that timeframe is that its a 4-5 day holiday and actually one of the easier time periods to get time off (along with Thanksgiving and Christmas).

After taking off time in August/September last year for the Roatan trip, I have been asked not to do that again because of it being budget season. We will see. They keep squeezing our time off periods tighter and tighter every year.

Edited by georoc01, 01 October 2008 - 11:36 AM.

#25 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:36 AM

"...manly men, doing manly things on manly ships." ..."and visiting manly ports, like... Key West, and San Fransisco." Free associating old SNL skits; more than a hobby, far less than a vocation. :teeth:

As a reforming Squid I too wondered the true origins of the meat in those late night forays to the galley. :teeth: The cooks were occasionally quite adroit with double (perhaps triple?) entendres'.

TFF. "Reforming Squid" kinda like military intelligence, a perfect oxymoron. If you spent time before the mast, you don't lose the label. Not now, not ever.

I do also remember 5-1 meat that was rumored to be 'roo or worse. Favorite part was days 110-144 underway when we ran out of food and switched to C-Rations - appropriately renamed SeaRats.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#26 FritzCat66

FritzCat66

Getting started

• Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:41 AM

Would us Florida natives (or anyone who wouldn't have to fly to get there) be able to bring our own tanks along? I really hate giving up my steel 120's...

Related question: Does anyone know if the ferry from Ft. Myers to Key West allows you to transport scuba tanks?

>*< Fritz

#27 pmarie

pmarie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Cert Level:Playing at Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:54 PM

Fritzman, it might cheaper to drive than to try that ferry, last time someone I know looked into it, it was $200.00 for the trip.

#28 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 01:24 PM

Would us Florida natives (or anyone who wouldn't have to fly to get there) be able to bring our own tanks along? I really hate giving up my steel 120's...

Related question: Does anyone know if the ferry from Ft. Myers to Key West allows you to transport scuba tanks?

>*< Fritz

Yes you can bring one tank with you! It will be refilled after each dive!

UNLESS you want to be someone's NEW BEST FRIEND by bringing a second big tank for someone needing it! :birthday:

formerly...

#29 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 01 October 2008 - 01:53 PM

I love the new improved Spree but calling it a Hotel is a bit of a stretch, it's more like a hunting lodge and watch that first step into the pool. :birthday:

AMEN! :angry: I can still remember that 1st step off - and I did the trip 5 years ago!!! :)

First off Ray I'm guessing you have not been on the newly remodeled Spree. It has a full head and shower on the deck and instead of 32 pax now only takes 24 passengers. The entire boat was remodeled and you would not believe the difference it makes.

Hey it is still not luxury cabins but its not luxury pricing either and the price per dive which includes hotel/loding and food is very economical.

Now the first step is STILL a big one...but so it is off the EV boats and many other boats. Heck the jump off the NC boats is the same...Big Boats = Big Drops.

As for hotels in the Keys...most of the mom and pop ones that were affordable have been torn down to build condos and the rest are starting to cost a small fortune unless you want to cram lots of people in a room. Sure there are still exceptions but not as many any more.

The world is a changing... :o

How soon we forget, I guess that's why I never got the SD tee shirt :tears: I was on the Spree with you in Key West in July.

You are right about there are no inexpensive hotels or meals in the Keys anymore. If you add those up plus the dayboat charges and the gas running up and down route 1 this is not an expensive trip.

This picture is from a Spree drift dive
Posted Image
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#30 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:05 PM

>*< Fritz

Yes you can bring one tank with you! It will be refilled after each dive!

UNLESS you want to be someone's NEW BEST FRIEND by bringing a second big tank for someone needing it! :birthday:

Hey, I resemble that request :angry:

But it depends on if I can talk my parents into spending an extra week down in Florida. If so, I would probably be taking the same ferry as they live in Naples..

Edited by georoc01, 01 October 2008 - 03:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users