• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Discussion...DRIFTDIVING the Keys MAY 14-19 and Floating Hotel!

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#31 JimG

JimG

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Not enough!

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:13 PM

What dates are the possible dates for the 5 day option?

I'm actually interested in this info as well, although my teaching schedule for May, 2009 makes it unlikely that I could go on the 5-day trip. I will actually be in the Keys myself during the first weekend of May, so if the stars align and I can piggy-back the SD trip onto the one I already have planned, then that might be do-able.

So any thoughts on prospective dates for either the 3-day or the 5-day trip?

-JimG
Will DIR for food!

#32 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:28 PM

I love the new improved Spree but calling it a Hotel is a bit of a stretch, it's more like a hunting lodge and watch that first step into the pool. :angry:

AMEN! :tears: I can still remember that 1st step off - and I did the trip 5 years ago!!! :)

First off Ray I'm guessing you have not been on the newly remodeled Spree. It has a full head and shower on the deck and instead of 32 pax now only takes 24 passengers. The entire boat was remodeled and you would not believe the difference it makes.

Hey it is still not luxury cabins but its not luxury pricing either and the price per dive which includes hotel/loding and food is very economical.

Now the first step is STILL a big one...but so it is off the EV boats and many other boats. Heck the jump off the NC boats is the same...Big Boats = Big Drops.

As for hotels in the Keys...most of the mom and pop ones that were affordable have been torn down to build condos and the rest are starting to cost a small fortune unless you want to cram lots of people in a room. Sure there are still exceptions but not as many any more.

The world is a changing... :o

How soon we forget, I guess that's why I never got the SD tee shirt :o I was on the Spree with you in Key West in July.

You are right about there are no inexpensive hotels or meals in the Keys anymore. If you add those up plus the dayboat charges and the gas running up and down route 1 this is not an expensive trip.

This picture is from a Spree drift dive
Posted Image

YEP...sleep depravation does that to you.

I'm sorry...:)

My crystal ball is sure MUDDY right now...wish I knew what everyone wanted and could afford and would fill. :birthday:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#33 KeithT4U

KeithT4U

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Cert Level:Open water with over 20 dives in variety of locations, mucky lakes to FL reefs
  • Logged Dives:20

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:29 PM

I think that if it works I would prefer this trip to the coral spawning trip. I have talked to my buddy and he would prefer the dive mix on this trip better but finances and the time between this and the Dive-N-Travel show in Tacoma could be factors. I will watch all the threads to better plan this out.

Keith
If at first you don't suceed.....don't try sky diving.
Women should always think beauty over brains since men can see much further than they can think. :)

#34 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:33 PM

I think that if it works I would prefer this trip to the coral spawning trip. I have talked to my buddy and he would prefer the dive mix on this trip better but finances and the time between this and the Dive-N-Travel show in Tacoma could be factors. I will watch all the threads to better plan this out.

Keith

Personally I think the diving is better in the Dry T's but sooooooooooooooo many people want to dive FL and this is the best option I"ve had for making it happen.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#35 Stephanie

Stephanie

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:29

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:42 PM

Would us Florida natives (or anyone who wouldn't have to fly to get there) be able to bring our own tanks along? I really hate giving up my steel 120's...

Related question: Does anyone know if the ferry from Ft. Myers to Key West allows you to transport scuba tanks?

>*< Fritz

Hey!! Where are my pics from Labor Day weekend!! :birthday:

#36 FritzCat66

FritzCat66

Getting started

• Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:28 PM

OK, for anyone else interested in that option I emailed the Key West Express ferry and they charge $129 roundtrip to Key West, which covers two carryons, plus they would need $25 for a tank and would have to be notified in advance.

For me, in central east Florida, it's kind of a wash: 4 hours to Ft. Myers or 7 hours directly to Key West. But not having to drive solo all that way and back would be a bonus, so it's worth considering, especially if I can crash with my pals in Tampa the night before (only 2 hrs away). :birthday:

So yeah, count me interested, especially in the five-day trip. Having done a coral spawn dive off Pompano this summer, I'm not all that entranced by the idea of doing that again. And if this comes together, if there are any other divers from central Florida we can talk carpooling.

>*< Fritz

#37 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:47 PM

Actually if this works out you'll have TWO chances to do the same...one in May and one in August! Take your pick! (Of course the latter would be watching sponges spawn!) :birthday:

You never know.. I might be able to arrange something with Wookie... He is always looking for deck hands... :angry:

Both trips sound great...
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#38 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:30 PM

IMPORTANT DATE UPDATE:

Ok here are the date options if we do this trip:

1. 3 day option would be board May 27th and Dive 28, 29, 30th departing the 30th and it would be about 13 dives possible. (This overlaps the CA Consumer Scuba Show) :birthday:
2. 5 day option would be borad May 14th and Dive 15, 16, 17, 18, 19th departing the 19th and it would be about 22 dives possible. (This overlaps the GA Consumer Scuba Show) :angry:

Still working on price for the cheaper trip but $1275 looks like the price for the 5 diving days option.

p.s. no other dates are open for this as the Spree will be moving to Florida the first couple of weeks in May.

formerly...

#39 pmarie

pmarie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Cert Level:Playing at Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:57 AM

I would be most interested in the 3 day option; especially since I would be down that way in that time fame and would not impact my time off. I'll suck it up and try not to think about my free lodging as we possibly drift past it. Yep; color that pouting. I do truly believe that I would have a wonderful time so please do not take my statements negatively.

I would be open to picking anyone up at an airport and carpooling. No ferry for me!!

#40 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:19 AM

I would be most interested in the 3 day option; especially since I would be down that way in that time fame and would not impact my time off. I'll suck it up and try not to think about my free lodging as we possibly drift past it. Yep; color that pouting. I do truly believe that I would have a wonderful time so please do not take my statements negatively.

I would be open to picking anyone up at an airport and carpooling. No ferry for me!!

Ok my turn to :thankyou: for your candor. This is the dilemma that many of our locals face when we structure a trip as a "fly to" destination which is 'your backyard'. The locals always have a way to do it cheaper so it bites for them to have to pay or worse yet...pay top dollar. On the other hand, traveling the Keys the way the locals do does not scale for a large group or worse yet for some of us...fall thru at the last minute leaving us out of towners who want to enjoy your beautiful diving 'hanging' and not 'drifting' if you get my drift and yes pun intended.

So no worries...no negativity taken, merely a valid datapoint you need to take into consideration. Do keep in mind that I am not sure which dates I'll choose but I will decide if we are doing one or the other as our May trip in the next couple of days.

Thank you all for your input. Kamala

formerly...

#41 Stephanie

Stephanie

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:29

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:15 PM

Sounds like a trip that I would definitely be up for! Patti, I'll drive to you and we can carpool? But I don't know if you are leaving before or staying after...

#42 FritzCat66

FritzCat66

Getting started

• Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:30 PM

I'm in for either the three-day or the five-day, although I would prefer the five-day since that gives the most dives per dollar, and makes the time and expense of getting down to Key West more worthwhile.

>*< Fritz

#43 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:National Geographic OW, AOW, Nitrox (IANTD)
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:16 PM

Being a fan of Capt Frank -- I trust him to always offer a quality product.

What I am not clear on is how far north we will go? Will we dive from KW up to Key Largo (Spiegel Grove) and then dive all the way back down?
Signature under construction :)

#44 sparky103

sparky103

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:180

Posted 12 October 2008 - 02:26 PM

Would us Florida natives (or anyone who wouldn't have to fly to get there) be able to bring our own tanks along? I really hate giving up my steel 120's...

Related question: Does anyone know if the ferry from Ft. Myers to Key West allows you to transport scuba tanks?

>*< Fritz

Yes you can bring one tank with you! It will be refilled after each dive!

UNLESS you want to be someone's NEW BEST FRIEND by bringing a second big tank for someone needing it! :teeth:

Hey, I resemble that request :)

But it depends on if I can talk my parents into spending an extra week down in Florida. If so, I would probably be taking the same ferry as they live in Naples..

Oh George,
Although you think you resemble that remark :wakawaka: , you must realize that you're actually basking in the aura of myself donning that spare 120 that Fritz forgot to promise me first :wakawaka: . And BTW, I don't have to ask my parents' permission or whateva :wakawaka: :teeth: :diver: ( Last image is me w/Fritz's 120-- Notice perfect trim that only steel 120 gives )

Jeff
There's a fine line between stubborn and stupid. Pete Dexter

There's hope,  just not for us. Franz Kafka

When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself. jacques-yves cousteau

I rise every morning torn between the desire to save the world, or to savor the world. E B White

In three words I can sum up life: It goes on. Robert Frost

#45 sparky103

sparky103

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:180

Posted 12 October 2008 - 02:41 PM

And just in case I didn't specify my desires, 5 days and oh did I mention ? Dive Til You Drop
I'm also available for a Post Keys Krawl w/any of all y'all dedicated Floridian divers but I'm flying in so you have to tell me where we end the PKK so I can figure flts

Jeff

Edited by sparky103, 12 October 2008 - 02:43 PM.

There's a fine line between stubborn and stupid. Pete Dexter

There's hope,  just not for us. Franz Kafka

When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself. jacques-yves cousteau

I rise every morning torn between the desire to save the world, or to savor the world. E B White

In three words I can sum up life: It goes on. Robert Frost

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users