• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Discussion...DRIFTDIVING the Keys MAY 14-19 and Floating Hotel!

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#46 pmarie

pmarie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Cert Level:Playing at Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:06 PM

And just in case I didn't specify my desires, 5 days and oh did I mention ? Dive Til You Drop
I'm also available for a Post Keys Krawl w/any of all y'all dedicated Floridian divers but I'm flying in so you have to tell me where we end the PKK so I can figure flts

Jeff

I would say you are on the right track for liberating that xtra 120 of Fritz's. He wants the 5 day as well. If I were you, I would take advantage of the whole stretch, and look at FLL-maybe cheaper??? Then you can always dive your way down to Key West. Look at me sticking my nose into the 5 day trip when I'm after the 3 day trip :wakawaka:

#47 sparky103

sparky103

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:180

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:24 PM

And just in case I didn't specify my desires, 5 days and oh did I mention ? Dive Til You Drop
I'm also available for a Post Keys Krawl w/any of all y'all dedicated Floridian divers but I'm flying in so you have to tell me where we end the PKK so I can figure flts

Jeff

I would say you are on the right track for liberating that xtra 120 of Fritz's. He wants the 5 day as well. If I were you, I would take advantage of the whole stretch, and look at FLL-maybe cheaper??? Then you can always dive your way down to Key West. Look at me sticking my nose into the 5 day trip when I'm after the 3 day trip :)

Yeah....Yeah , What she said :teeth: REALLY WHAT SHE SAID !! :teeth: I'll dive before and after ... with pmarie cuz now she's my ride. :wakawaka: :diver: :wakawaka: ( Too much to ask her to carry tank, too ?) :wakawaka:

Jeff
There's a fine line between stubborn and stupid. Pete Dexter

There's hope,  just not for us. Franz Kafka

When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself. jacques-yves cousteau

I rise every morning torn between the desire to save the world, or to savor the world. E B White

In three words I can sum up life: It goes on. Robert Frost

#48 pmarie

pmarie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:38 AM

Yeah....Yeah , What she said REALLY WHAT SHE SAID !! I'll dive before and after ... with pmarie cuz now she's my ride. ( Too much to ask her to carry tank, too ?)

Jeff

As I'll be carrying one my measly little steel 100's I guess I could carry that xtra 120 for a price :wakawaka:

#49 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:04 AM

If I do this trip, its more the dates than the length of time. I need the earlier dates as I would schedule a visit with family around the trip and they head North around the later date.

And I would be taking the ferry from Marco Island.

This pushes the dates for me. I would prefer a Florida Trip between October and beginning of May. I know I will be down there Thanksgiving week and Christmas Week already if anyone wants to join me for a dive or 2.

#50 MetriRN

MetriRN

On a roll now.....

• Premier Member
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Board Status:Registered Nurse. Working like a dog to save money for another dive trip
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:340+

Posted 19 October 2008 - 12:21 PM

I'd be interested in this - the 5 day option with the Miami drop-off. Too hard to get to Key West from Miami airport, extra $$ flight. Don't know anything about the Spree, will have to research it.
Carry On!

#51 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,725 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:43 AM

If I do this trip, its more the dates than the length of time. I need the earlier dates as I would schedule a visit with family around the trip and they head North around the later date.

And I would be taking the ferry from Marco Island.

This pushes the dates for me. I would prefer a Florida Trip between October and beginning of May. I know I will be down there Thanksgiving week and Christmas Week already if anyone wants to join me for a dive or 2.

This trip will now be the 5 day trip and the earlier dates. I have asked the Spree to confirm the dates I think we are doing which is May 14th board the boat and dive 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th and depart either 19th if locals or 20th am in fly in!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#52 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,725 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:46 AM

I'd be interested in this - the 5 day option with the Miami drop-off. Too hard to get to Key West from Miami airport, extra $$ flight. Don't know anything about the Spree, will have to research it.

Hey girl...its been too long! This will be a VERY unique trip and everyone will love it. The price can't be beat and the boat is one of the CLEANEST you'll ever find...GIRL CLEAN to be exact! :wakawaka:

It will be cozy meaning our trade off for this great price is shared accommodations. But we reserve the 4 bunk cabins for the gals and the open common area for the guys. We have shared heads and showers too meaning the boat has a total of 4 heads and 2 private showers and 2 deck showers...but with FREE Nitrox and a SUPER SAFE AND FUN CREW...the BEST divers anywhere...A TOTALLY UNIQUE ITINERARY....you can't beat this trip anywhere!

Come and join us! -ww

Oh yes...just a clarification on the drop off and pick ups...You MUST Board in Key West...but we'll have lots of members driving there so I'm sure you'll have no problems flying into Miami and catching a ride to Key West.

You can Disembark in either Key West OR Miami.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#53 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,725 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:53 AM

IMPORTANT DATE UPDATE:

Ok here are the date options if we do this trip:

1. 3 day option would be board May 27th and Dive 28, 29, 30th departing the 30th and it would be about 13 dives possible. (This overlaps the CA Consumer Scuba Show) :dance:
2. 5 day option would be borad May 14th and Dive 15, 16, 17, 18, 19th departing the 19th and it would be about 22 dives possible. (This overlaps the GA Consumer Scuba Show) :dance: (The GA Show has been changed!)

Still working on price for the cheaper trip but $1275 looks like the price for the 5 diving days option.

p.s. no other dates are open for this as the Spree will be moving to Florida the first couple of weeks in May.

NOTE: I forgot I already confirmed these dates with the Spree...can you say :wakawaka: :taz:

In any event...we have chosen the 5 day version so you can all start to make plans...the full details will be posted as soon as I can get them done and up. Then you can start signing up for this trip! :twist: However it is GO!!!!

formerly...

#54 ScubaShafer

ScubaShafer

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT
  • Logged Dives:2460

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:16 AM

Sounds like another Keys Krawl in the making. Count me in!
It's a GR8 day to be alive!

"Good things come to those who wait." Heinz - 1980s
"Good things come to those who wait." Guinness - 1990s
"Good things come to those with weights." ScubaShafer - 2008

#55 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,725 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:54 PM

Sounds like another Keys Krawl in the making. Count me in!

Awesome Bruce...a floating Keys Krawl should be the BEST!!!! :D

formerly...

#56 FritzCat66

FritzCat66

Getting started

• Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:24 PM

So, I'm looking at numbers: $1275 for five days on this liveaboard. That's $255 a day. And let's presume I can get about 4 dives a day, with free Nitrox fills.

Now, if I were just driving myself down to the Keys and diving the ops like usual, each day I would spend about $75 for a two-tank boat ride, $85 with tips. Hotel about $75 if you're not too picky. Two tanks of EANx, about $15. Food about $25. That's $60 cheaper than this liveaboard, BUT THAT'S ONLY DOING TWO DIVES, whereas the liveabord would be four. Plus, the liveaboard saves all the hassle of loading gear in the car, driving to the dive op, unloading gear, unpacking, setting it all up, then repacking it all so I can drive away, only to do it all again the next day.

And May means not having to worry about cancellations due to hurricanes.

So this is adding up nicely, even for a Florida native like myself. Now all I need is a carpool ride down there to cut the gas in half - or less, if we can get more to carpool!

Plus it sounds like any of us driving down, if we bring extra steel tanks, can use that for leverage with all the out-of-towners! :D

>*< Fritz

Edited by FritzCat66, 01 November 2008 - 07:30 PM.

#57 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,725 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:31 PM

Oh yes you forgot only ONE waiver, time saved not driving but diving and of course beverages as we can bring our own bottles. And as you said you get 1-2 extra dives daily. Oh yes...almost all will be DRIFT DIVING and we won't do any of the spots the day operators do so it will be MO MO BETTER!

And if you are a premier member you'll get a $25 rebate after the trip and we'll have some early bird booking specials when the details are finalized. (Can't do that very well from the road but as soon as I get back in the office I will.)

formerly...

#58 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:24 AM

Well this is a long overdue post, but since there is talk of another Keys Krawl I thought I'd do it now.

I've posted this on several other dive sites, but wanted to put this out there as an FYI....

On the last Keys Krawl (not organized through SD), I had booked a dive operation of which we could not have been more disappointed. It was Underseas Inc out of Big Pine Key.

I personally had booked a special charter. I think there were about 9 of us at that time...

We were to dive the Busch Wreck and 2 Reef dives on Looe Key. When we arrived to check in we were told that the regular boat was out of commission and we would be using a different boat. No problem... things happen, especially w/ boats. They made good by arranging another boat & crew. Well, as it turns that boat was also having mechanical issues and we therefore got a very late start.

We all kept a great attitude… wish I could say the same for the Captain. He was…. Well just rude! He also made us go through equipment checks that I have never experienced before. But, he’s the captain so we complied. It was quite obvious to all of us that he was not accustomed to divers, but rather ran a snorkel boat.

To make a very long story just a little shorter and to not bore you with the details… I’ll just say that we got out from our first dive, and were chastised by the captain about our down times. Keep in mind he did not state a limit in the briefing. The dive is relatively deep as well, so our times were not excessive! No de-co diving.

On our second dive… about 15-20 ft. on Looe Key were asked to surface ½ way through our dive to locate the boat, give the OK sign and then finish the dive. Another strange request… some complied… some not. We all of course were chastised again for not doing so.

The last dive we were offered was in the same location (why we could not have stayed down longer on the second dive, I don’t know….) We were told we had 15 minutes. And by that I mean, the clock started as soon as the words came out of his mouth! None of us were suited up and ready. What the *&^??????

When we asked why so short, he said that it was our fault because we stayed down too long on the first dive and were now running late. When we defended ourselves and reminded him about the late start, he just re-stated that the clock was ticking. He said he had another charter that afternoon. BTW - I personally knew was a flat out lie! When I booked the boat we were to have it for a 3 tank dive day…. No afternoon trip. And, his dive master had told me earlier that it was their day off and they had been called in for our charter. He said they were done for the day after our charter. So there was no reason for the short dive other than the captain calling it.

Several people sat out the dive as it was not worth it for 5 minutes bottom time. Others went (including myself) and just stayed down for about 15-20 minutes. Yes, chastised again. LOL

One other strange thing… water was supplied at the back of the boat, but they kept the cups stowed away. You had to ask for them. They seemed put out, when you asked. So, I went to fill the water bottle that I had brought on board with me. Again… that wasn’t appreciated either. What the heck? What dive boat in their right mind doesn’t push its divers to keep hydrated!!??

None of us were happy with the operation. We had a Capt and what I assume was a Dive Master on board (he didn’t say much and never entered the water.). I think it suffices to say that not one of us left a tip.

I went back to the shop to complain and was shocked at the response. I really wanted to let them know our experience since they were using this guys as a back-up. Maybe they didn’t know?????

But, apparently they use this boat and Captain often and sometimes they get great reports and sometime folks come back confirming an experience similar to ours. The only thing offered was “the next time you come down; we’ll make sure you’re not on his boat. Not good enough for me! I’ll never use them again, nor would I recommend them to anyone.

So, for those of you planning on diving you way down to Key West to catch the Spree....Just my personal opinion - Stay away from Underseas Inc out of Big Pine Key!!!
:D

Big thanks to my dive buddies for making the best of a bad situation and not hanging me from a tree for booking with that Op!!!
:D

edited to add: Underseas Inc. had put us on Strike Zone Charters. Needless to say I wouldn't recommend them either.

Edited by DiverBabs, 03 November 2008 - 07:51 PM.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#59 pmarie

pmarie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 01:36 PM

Hello Diverbabs! Thank you. It's not always easy having a diverse opinion and then really putting it out there. Maximum Respect and Thank You. As I have not been out with any operators beyond Marathon I truly appreciate the heads up.

#60 ScubaShafer

ScubaShafer

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT
  • Logged Dives:2460

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:17 PM

Well this is a long overdue post, but since there is talk of another Keys Krawl I thought I'd do it now.

I've posted this on several other dive sites, but wanted to put this out there as an FYI....

On the last Keys Krawl (not organized through SD), I had booked a dive operation of which we could not have been more disappointed. It was Underseas Inc out of Big Pine Key.

So, for those of you planning on diving you way down to Key West to catch the Spree....Just my personal opinion - Stay away from Underseas Inc out of Big Pine Key!!!
:unsure:

Big thanks to my dive buddies for making the best of a bad situation and not hanging me from a tree for booking with that Op!!!
:teeth:

Thanks, Barbie. I'm glad you finally got that one off your chest! "Ditto" to everything you said.
It's a GR8 day to be alive!

"Good things come to those who wait." Heinz - 1980s
"Good things come to those who wait." Guinness - 1990s
"Good things come to those with weights." ScubaShafer - 2008

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users