• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

05a: SOLD OUT! Better Belize-It Baby...May 2-9, 2009

• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

#301 fairfield59

fairfield59

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:102

Posted 25 April 2009 - 05:08 PM

Further along the middle street you will find Pirates Pizza, early in week divers were buying slices of pie without a problem, However the last night 3 of us bought a slice of all meat off the turning pizza warmer and all of us got bad food poisoning, so use caution.

[/quote]

Thanks, Stan. I've heard through message boards that Pedro's has the best pizza in Ambergris Caye.

#302 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 25 April 2009 - 05:31 PM

Jerry, If you hit Pedro's for a slice, I'd be interested in your opinion of staying at thier budget hotel above, didn't look like much from the street.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#303 fairfield59

fairfield59

• PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:21 PM

Jerry, If you hit Pedro's for a slice, I'd be interested in your opinion of staying at thier budget hotel above, didn't look like much from the street.

I just received an notice that they are doing a Grand Opening, so they must have upgraded the sheets or something. I think you get what you pay for.

Having said that, I may be playing Tsome Texas Hold'em there and I will definately check them out.

#304 Anna

Anna

Getting started

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Cert Level:Cave, deco
  • Logged Dives:308 as of the last (Belize) trip

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:50 AM

3 of us bought a slice of all meat off the turning pizza warmer and all of us got bad food poisoning, so use caution.

A photo essay follows if you like to click away.
Good Diving and Safe Travels, Stan

Luigi and Mass Diving group slideshow w/ music-------- Mostly topside, nightlife and diving- many Belikin's flowing that evening
Mass Diving in Belize group slideshow w/music------Mostly UW photos and resort land
Bonus footage of ScubaPunk flying in CZM

Have FUN!!!

Nice photos, Stan. Thanks for sharing. Now I will be daydreaming all week about the trip.

Question to oldtimers...are the tank valves yoke?

I am packing and thought I'd better check which regs to throw in the case.

Anna

#305 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:20 AM

3 of us bought a slice of all meat off the turning pizza warmer and all of us got bad food poisoning, so use caution.

A photo essay follows if you like to click away.
Good Diving and Safe Travels, Stan

Luigi and Mass Diving group slideshow w/ music-------- Mostly topside, nightlife and diving- many Belikin's flowing that evening
Mass Diving in Belize group slideshow w/music------Mostly UW photos and resort land
Bonus footage of ScubaPunk flying in CZM

Have FUN!!!

Nice photos, Stan. Thanks for sharing. Now I will be daydreaming all week about the trip.

Question to oldtimers...are the tank valves yoke?

I am packing and thought I'd better check which regs to throw in the case.

Anna

All Yoke that I saw, AL 80's

Edited by scubaski, 26 April 2009 - 08:22 AM.

MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#306 susiq

susiq

• PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Board Status:Workin' hard in NYC to fund my next dream trip!
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:355

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:40 AM

Thanks for the wild and fun shots, Stan...... the resemblance between the Chef and SOME people is amazing! Had a great laugh!
s
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever-- Jacques-Yves Cousteau

#307 h2ofria

h2ofria

Getting started

• Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver
  • Logged Dives:82

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:22 PM

I just got back from a quick trip to the Northwest Dive Show in Tacoma. Saw WW there. She gave new meaning to the term "Blue Hair". She blamed it on her frequent diving - sure I believe that story.

She asked me to remind her to post a phone number to contact her or the hotel in case any of us run into problems with flights. So WW that was your reminder.
Work is the curse of the diving class!

#308 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,692 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:30 AM

I just got back from a quick trip to the Northwest Dive Show in Tacoma. Saw WW there. She gave new meaning to the term "Blue Hair". She blamed it on her frequent diving - sure I believe that story.

She asked me to remind her to post a phone number to contact her or the hotel in case any of us run into problems with flights. So WW that was your reminder.

Yup! That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :lmao:

Here are the numbers...see I told you it would work! :iagree:

Phone- 011-501-226-2283 Fax- 011-501-226-3797

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#309 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,692 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:33 AM

I didn't look at their flight info , but are all those people flying at 12 AM (Midnight ) ,or 12PM (Noon ) Just my 2Psi :iagree: ?
Jeff

NOON! :lmao:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#310 Anna

Anna

Getting started

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Cert Level:Cave, deco
  • Logged Dives:308 as of the last (Belize) trip

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:15 PM

Getting closer...counting hours.

How much cash should I bring? Are there ATMs around to get some local money?

#311 h2ofria

h2ofria

Getting started

• Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver
  • Logged Dives:82

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:29 PM

WW - I treid to buy a men's XL purple SingleDivers.com T shirt at the Expo but alas I could not (no XL's were available). Any chance you can bring one to Belize?
Work is the curse of the diving class!

#312 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:46 PM

Some local banks downtown with ATM will despense local cash( actually did not use), I brought down $500US cash, kept most in hotel lobby safe deposit boxes and used about $200 on island but I'm not one to go out for high end dinners every night. I tend to use Mastercard for drinks and foods where accepted. MC seemed more useful that American Expressb but my hotel took AMEX no problem.$ 300-500 should cover you.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#313 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,692 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:31 AM

Some local banks downtown with ATM will despense local cash( actually did not use), I brought down $500US cash, kept most in hotel lobby safe deposit boxes and used about $200 on island but I'm not one to go out for high end dinners every night. I tend to use Mastercard for drinks and foods where accepted. MC seemed more useful that American Expressb but my hotel took AMEX no problem.$ 300-500 should cover you.

You can get local money via the airport or often at the hotel for decent rates. Our buddy Peter who lives on island probably knows where the best exchange rate is and will advise.

My personal preference is I never use a credit card. I get hit with foreign exchg fees and extra processing fees on the good side and many resorts charge 5-7% extra to use a credit card. On the worst side your card shows up being used in other parts of the world. ;)

That being said I do not want to engage in an argument as to how safe it is or is not to use your credit card. Card numbers of some of our members have been used inappropriately on several of our trips so I am offering MY OPINION which is I only use cash and no credit on trips.

In the realm of cash you'll need cash for tips approx $15 to $20 per day depending on service and number of dives. You may wish to leave a few bucks for your maid service and of course for meals. Prices in Belize can be 'island prices' meaning very low $10-15 or less for a meal or more like US prices averaging $20+ for a meal. Your breakfast and lunches are included so you'll only have lunch on non-diving days NOT included and dinners. Plan an extra $100 for emergencies or cool stuff you find you want to buy.

And usually the bank of Kamala has a bit extra if you need it. We've been to many a place where they do not take credit cards at all and my little bank has been quite busy! LOL!

formerly...

#314 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,692 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:32 AM

WW - I treid to buy a men's XL purple SingleDivers.com T shirt at the Expo but alas I could not (no XL's were available). Any chance you can bring one to Belize?

I'll see what I have. The logo is going from color on the black and purple ones to just monochromatic so I'm not sure what I have in colors...I have several huge orders pending. Thank you! Kamala

formerly...

#315 fairfield59

fairfield59

• PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:18 AM

I got money from the ATM at the bank at the north end of Front Street, the street closest to the ocean side, which is not too far from where we are staying, and right at the edge of town, in the evening. (Front, Middle, and Back Streets, run the long way on the island)

My bank charged me some fee as a percentage of the total money I withdrew, and obviously it will be in Belizean Dollars. 2 BZ = 1 US dollars fixed exchange rate

Edited by fairfield59, 30 April 2009 - 06:18 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users