• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

08: CORAL SPAWNING in the FLORIDA KEYS Aug 10-15/16 FLOATING HOTEL!

• Please log in to reply
654 replies to this topic

#46 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:53 AM

This is what Keith wrote in the Dry Tortugas planning thread:

Hey Bubski,

Glad to hear you are going to make this trip. I just wanted to make sure you and everyone else knows, when flying into Key West you are only allowed 1 bag. You don't have the option of paying for the second bag, you only get to check one bag. Yes you get a carry on as well. Last year I almost had to dispose of some things, luckily I was able to condense my 2 bags into one, it ended up weighing 65lbs on the way to Key West, then with damp gear, 69 lbs, 70lbs is the cut off. It isn't a big deal, one bag should be enough. It is just much nicer to know ahead of time when you are packing at home, than when you show up to check your bags and don't have time to get back to your vehicle and the only way you will be able to get on the plane is to start throwing non essential things away.

Keith

#47 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:14 PM

I'm going to follow Keith's advise, so I am only going to pack the essentials which will include a back-up 1st and 2nd stage and a minor save-a-dive kit and a few soft/trim weights and then the regular stuff..unless Karl Scubafanatic joins the trip, then I will only pack the regular stuff :thankyou: I think I can fit all of it in one checked bag and if needed put my full 3/2 suit and a towel in my carry-on with some other essentials.

Bubski
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#48 Spree Expeditions

Spree Expeditions

Getting started

• SD Partners
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:52 PM

I'm going to follow Keith's advise, so I am only going to pack the essentials which will include a back-up 1st and 2nd stage and a minor save-a-dive kit and a few soft/trim weights and then the regular stuff..unless Karl Scubafanatic joins the trip, then I will only pack the regular stuff :birthday: I think I can fit all of it in one checked bag and if needed put my full 3/2 suit and a towel in my carry-on with some other essentials.

Bubski

For those concerned with luggage, I will provide a address where some luggage may be shipped. Once I get there. I have a shipping address in Key West, but don't want anything going there before I get there.
Proud Sponsors of SingleDivers.com! Come Dive with us! Don't forget to Book Online here!

#49 Stingray1

Stingray1

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:53 PM

Sign me up.
B2B talked me into this trip last year and I will have 5 months so plan my work so I won't be busy in August.
I think I still owe for my yearly premier membership and for the trip, so you should see that soon. It looks like I'll get to hang with my favorites divers.
I'll see some of ya'll at the dive show in a week.
Phyllis

#50 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:28 PM

Sign me up.
B2B talked me into this trip last year and I will have 5 months so plan my work so I won't be busy in August.
I think I still owe for my yearly premier membership and for the trip, so you should see that soon. It looks like I'll get to hang with my favorites divers.

:birthday: Great News!!! You are signed up :birthday: See you next weekend. :birthday:

#51 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:38 AM

Sign me up.

AWESOME GIRL! You'll LOVE this trip and of course ALL our trips on the Spree are GREAT!!!

See you next weekend! :birthday:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#52 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:40 AM

Hey Bubski,

Glad to hear you are going to make this trip. I just wanted to make sure you and everyone else knows, when flying into Key West you are only allowed 1 bag. You don't have the option of paying for the second bag, you only get to check one bag. Yes you get a carry on as well. Last year I almost had to dispose of some things, luckily I was able to condense my 2 bags into one, it ended up weighing 65lbs on the way to Key West, then with damp gear, 69 lbs, 70lbs is the cut off. It isn't a big deal, one bag should be enough. It is just much nicer to know ahead of time when you are packing at home, than when you show up to check your bags and don't have time to get back to your vehicle and the only way you will be able to get on the plane is to start throwing non essential things away.

Keith

:birthday: Kim. I do not think he flew on AA. I have check everywhere to see if the limitation is also on AA. I have found that exact limitation on Delta but not others.

Kimmie do you still have your secret ways of finding out all the cool stuff going on at AA/Sabre since that was your old stompin grounds? :birthday:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#53 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:41 AM

I'm going to follow Keith's advise, so I am only going to pack the essentials which will include a back-up 1st and 2nd stage and a minor save-a-dive kit and a few soft/trim weights and then the regular stuff..unless Karl Scubafanatic joins the trip, then I will only pack the regular stuff :birthday: I think I can fit all of it in one checked bag and if needed put my full 3/2 suit and a towel in my carry-on with some other essentials.

Bubski

For those concerned with luggage, I will provide a address where some luggage may be shipped. Once I get there. I have a shipping address in Key West, but don't want anything going there before I get there.

SUHWEET!!!

Just another reason this is one of our favorite boats! :birthday:

formerly...

#54 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:32 AM

Hey Bubski,

Keith

:birthday: Kim. I do not think he flew on AA. I have check everywhere to see if the limitation is also on AA. I have found that exact limitation on Delta but not others.

Kimmie do you still have your secret ways of finding out all the cool stuff going on at AA/Sabre since that was your old stompin grounds? :birthday:

I suspect most airlines that fly there are weigh restricted due to this:

Flights departing to/from EYW often have strict weight or baggage restrictions due to the short length of the runway.

their runway is 4801 feet long; compare that to Abilene TX which is 7198' or Tyler T which has a runway that's 7199'; Key West's runway is 2300' shorter. One interesting thing I found out is due to the position of the runway, you can takeoff or land into a 40 knot wind!

#55 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:44 AM

Hey Bubski,

Keith

I suspect most airlines that fly there are weigh restricted due to this:

Flights departing to/from EYW often have strict weight or baggage restrictions due to the short length of the runway.

their runway is 4801 feet long; compare that to Abilene TX which is 7198' or Tyler T which has a runway that's 7199'; Key West's runway is 2300' shorter. One interesting thing I found out is due to the position of the runway, you can takeoff or land into a 40 knot wind!

Roger...can you see if AA is also limiting luggage? Thanks my AA ANGEL!!!

formerly...

#56 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:49 AM

According to a wiki the runway at Key West is only 4,801ft /1,463m Now a fully loaded ATR 72 which is what American Eagle flys fully loaded can make it off the runway with 50m to spare, but a jet might have some problems taking off and be weight restricted.

I'm curious why you believe this is true?

I would think they'd want more than 150' to spare

#57 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:52 AM

I would imagine they are

from what Barb said, Keith was flying thru Miami, which would be AA

so much of this is weather dependant which might be why they don't have weight restrictions listed

#58 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:21 PM

According to a wiki the runway at Key West is only 4,801ft /1,463m Now a fully loaded ATR 72 which is what American Eagle flys fully loaded can make it off the runway with 50m to spare, but a jet might have some problems taking off and be weight restricted.

150' is alot more then some pilots have on there landings, been on several flights where the pilot had to back up to make a exit off the runway.

My saying the flights not likely to get weight restricted is based on the specs of the model of ATR 72 that AE flys, and its max load capabilities and max take off weight and max landing weights this flight shouldnt have any problems with weight restrictions. The jets that fly to key west will probably have more restrictions because they are coming from a farther distance and in general jet aircraft weigh alot more then there prop cousins.

The only info i dont have is the historical load factors for this route, but 6 flights a day should be able to get luggage to people even if it comes on the next flight.

Edited by Scubatooth, 18 January 2009 - 12:32 PM.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#59 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:43 PM

based on the specs of the model of ATR 72 that AE flys, and its max load capabilities and max take off weight and max landing weights this flight shouldnt have any problems with weight restrictions. The jets that fly to key west will probably have more restrictions because they are coming from a farther distance and in general jet aircraft weigh alot more then there prop cousins.

The only info i dont have is the historical load factors for this route, but 6 flights a day should be able to get luggage to people even if it comes on the next flight.

I would suspect that Key West Airport may impose weight restrictions on the planes that fly in there.

#60 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:58 PM

About the luggage restrictions:

I flew Delta, they said it was because runway was short, whatever, they still took the same amount of weight. It was all just in one bag instead of two, I felt very lucky it all fit or I would have had to throw some unecessary items. I guess I do not know if this is what all airlines do or not at Key West. So if people have more information to add about extra restrictions flying into Key West, it would be great if they can post to the thread and keep us all well informed.

Keith

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users