• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

08: CORAL SPAWNING in the FLORIDA KEYS Aug 10-15/16 FLOATING HOTEL!

• Please log in to reply
654 replies to this topic

#616 sparky103

sparky103

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:180

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:32 PM

Butch, Sparky, Keith, Bruce, Jim, Joe , Mike and the other guys... leave your hair care products at home.. O Ya.. we are having our first ever SD Pillow Head Contest for Men... on the morning of 08/12/09 :o Yep... Sparky I know what your saying (for-get-about-it) :teeth: Nope.. You (for-get-about-it) its going to be held right next to your bunk :respect: So leave your Just For Men at home and just bring your.. Just For Diving Stuff :lmao:

Prizes may vary :D

Just a few more days :sweetie:

Who you callin' PILLOW-HEAD ??????
There's a fine line between stubborn and stupid. Pete Dexter

There's hope,  just not for us. Franz Kafka

When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself. jacques-yves cousteau

I rise every morning torn between the desire to save the world, or to savor the world. E B White

In three words I can sum up life: It goes on. Robert Frost

#617 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:17 PM

Butch, Sparky, Keith, Bruce, Jim, Joe , Mike and the other guys... leave your hair care products at home.. O Ya.. we are having our first ever SD Pillow Head Contest for Men... on the morning of 08/12/09 :D Yep... Sparky I know what your saying (for-get-about-it) :teeth: Nope.. You (for-get-about-it) its going to be held right next to your bunk :respect: So leave your Just For Men at home and just bring your.. Just For Diving Stuff :lmao:

Prizes may vary :wakawaka:

Everybody will be a Pillow Head on 08/12/09 even the gurls, but there is only one Winner :D

Vegas Baby... I got 20 bucks on You.. dont let me down :o
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#618 clearvis

clearvis

Getting started

• Premier Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Cert Level:NASDA Open Water 1977
  • Logged Dives:200 plus

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:01 PM

I'm not sure if I have a good shot at the pillow head contest. I went and got my hair cut a little shorter than normal this afternoon if I'd only found out sooner.

Fred

#619 scubachick43

scubachick43

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:101

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:09 PM

Butch, Sparky, Keith, Bruce, Jim, Joe , Mike and the other guys... leave your hair care products at home.. O Ya.. we are having our first ever SD Pillow Head Contest for Men... on the morning of 08/12/09 :wakawaka: Yep... Sparky I know what your saying (for-get-about-it) :teeth: Nope.. You (for-get-about-it) its going to be held right next to your bunk :respect: So leave your Just For Men at home and just bring your.. Just For Diving Stuff :lmao:

Prizes may vary :D

Everybody will be a Pillow Head on 08/12/09 even the gurls, but there is only one Winner :D

Vegas Baby... I got 20 bucks on You.. dont let me down :o

I just know that I am use to blow drying my hair every morning!!! I guess there's not a blow dryer on board huh? Yicks Boy will this be a trip or WHAT! I guess I will deal with bad hair days in Paradise. :D

#620 Guest_Sea Urchin_*

Guest_Sea Urchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:20 PM

I'm not sure if I have a good shot at the pillow head contest. I went and got my hair cut a little shorter than normal this afternoon if I'd only found out sooner.

Fred :respect:

I'm sure you're not the only who just got a haircut, Fred. Butch does the same thing on every trip...and some of us don't have NO HAIR...so no fair stacking the deck, Bubski. I could be persuaded to style your hair to look like bed-heads for the right bribe. :sweetie:

#621 divengolf

divengolf

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech + Rescue + Solo; 500+ dives; Mostly Photo.
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:11 AM

I just know that I am use to blow drying my hair every morning!!! I guess there's not a blow dryer on board huh? Yicks Boy will this be a trip or WHAT! I guess I will deal with bad hair days in Paradise. :respect:

Remember that the fish really don't care what your hair looks like.

#622 me2me2

me2me2

Getting started

• Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:Hundreds.

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:31 AM

Myra,

Two years ago I had a fracture of the 2nd metatarsal, I had about 8 weeks of healing time before I got on the Spree and went to the Flower Gardens. While I do remember going easy on it when I was moving from bench to splash off the boat, I would feel it as the boat rocked in the waves and you are shifting weight to keep balance, but the only time it hurt was the one and only time I jumped off the boat and forgot to fold the bad foot behind me. All other entries I had just jumped off boat and bent the knee of bad leg behind me, that worked very well.

The boat is usually pretty cool, I would find a way to squeeze those sweats into your bag.

Keith,

It's my 3rd metatarsal on the left. It's an aggravation isn't? Not something that needs to be casted but you have to take it easy on it for a bit. I still drive a manual transmission everyday and work all my shifts but just on light duty. I'm not supposed to be lifting 400 lb patients! And certainly not rolling up onto the top of my foot to push a stretcher around! I do walkie talkie self ambulating patients. Uhm, in explanation I'm an xray tech! When we go out on the boat here at home on the Chesapeake Bay I were my post op shoe (I'm not post op but the shoe has a rigid bottom to keep me from flexing up onto my toes) and that is good so I think yet another tank top is coming out of the luggage and the shoe is coming with me.

Oh and I see I'm losing yet anther tank top and a pair of shorts so I can pack sweat pants instead. Thanks for the heads up! And you'll have to demonstrate your modified giant stride! :respect:

See you tomorrow in FLL!

Myra

#623 me2me2

me2me2

Getting started

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:44 AM

Myra,

Since Keith answered 1 and 4, I'll tackle 2 and 3 for you.

On all my trips on the Spree, I have not seen a 63 tank. There is a Diver's Direct in Key Largo if you want to purchase a tank. Since our other members are having a hard time locating a larger tank to rent to take on the Spree, I think you may find it tough to locate a 63 rental.

The Cochran computers are available on request and it's pretty straight forward based on who requested it first. If Sandy missed something, I'm sure it will all be sorted out before we boarded. You also have 2 days in Key Largo to see if your computer will work or not. I used to have one that would turn on and off by itself until I got tire of dealing with it and got another one. Scubatoys have better prices than Diver's Direct on computers and if you need me to stop there to pick one up for you, let me know.

It's easier to put on more clothes when you are cold rather than stripping when you are hot.

Que :teeth:

Que, a trip to Key Largo requires all divers to meander through Diver's Direct doesn't it? :respect: I thought about buying one and shipping it home or donating to the Spree. I dunno. It's only a 5 lb difference. But I love that they are shorter since I'm short bodied too.

Yeah, I guess I I just didn't committ early enough to get it on the computer. Oh well, maybe I'll borrow one so I have a redundant system. My computer is only a couple years old but it definitely went wonky last year in Bonaire and I had it rebuilt and then something was wrong with the way it reads altitude. I think it, figuritively only, killed me on the Odyssey in Honduras in May! It just went into DECO and shouldn't have. My dive buddy had the same profile. So I sent it in and the rebuilt it again. Sheesh!

Ohhh, and I just love the Scuba Toys! The guys are always sooo helpful on the phone and internet. I'm totally jealous you get to shop there in person? But since I'm apparently getting a new puppy on my way home (I'll tell y'all about it in FL but an 8 wk old pup may meet me on the trip out of FLL and come home with me. Its kind of an emergency adoption/rescue situation) I think I'll just borrow an extra one. But thanks though!

Uhm, that last comment will get me in trouble but I'd prefer to take it off! :sweetie: Ok definitly packing the sweat pants.

See you tomorrow!

Myra

#624 me2me2

me2me2

Getting started

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:09 AM

Hey girl....

1.We'll work to get you near an exit. There are about 4 spots that qualify as near an exit so we have options.
2. I am definately rooming you in my quad of gals since I too hate the cold and like to be in the quad that is FARTHEST away from the coolers. The boat will gladly give you another blanket and they are pretty full sized blankets so you can stay warm...I know! :teeth:
3. The Cochrans are assigned predominately on who signs up first but we always help someone out who doesn't have one regardless of when they signed up, someone taking a nitrox class so they don't have to buy a new computer right away and someone who is worried that their computer may be acting up. I think you fall into the latter category so we'll work to take care of you! :lmao:
4. As for a 63cf...as Que said...I do not think the boat has any smaller tanks...at least none that are out on the dive deck. Most divers want MORE air and not less. However if you are close to the exit you should be ok. Now being close to the entry point does not always make you close to the exit point. Due to insurance liability limitations the crew of the boat can not help you with your tank when you return to the boat but I certainly can and so can others if you need it. Just let us know! Kamala

WW,

1. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
2. Oh gods thank you Goddess WW! Yes as far from the coolers as possible! Ok so I'm really repacking tonight and getting rid of some tank tops and shorts and packing long sleeves and sweats. Hmm, am I going to the himalayas or the keys? :o
3. I think I just didn't sign up earlier enough. I'll just have to be quicker next time. I think if I can squeeze it in somewhere I'll borrow one. I'm just running low on squeeze room. I'm just paranoid about the darned thing being wonky again. We'll work it out.
4. Everyone has been great with info on the 63's. I may or may not bring one down. It is only 5 lbs so not a huge issue. I jsut like those little things and since I have gills and don't really use much air why carry the extra weight? :D

PamB,
No running tights for me, egads! But check! onthe long sleeved T and I already packed the fuzzy socks. Thanks! Uhm, I'll pass on that hooded vest though. While I'm no fashion maven that might just be too fashion forward for sleeping attire for me! :sweetie:

And in regards to WW's post about helpful people I can only add YES, I have found everyone to be SOOOOOO VERY helpful and nice. I'm sure we are going to have an excellent time! Even if I am dressed a little funny at times! WW don't strain your arm but pat yourself on the back too! Everyone has been great!

Oh, and I'll have a small travel blow dryer anyone can use when we are in port or our hotel! Just to dry my bangs mind you when we are going out and I don't want to have swirlies on my head! You'll see! :respect:

OH, Oh, Oh, last thing. When I and the Joes, (Joe and Keith) arrive on Monday we'll drop gear at the boat and then I can drop them at the rusty anchor but then I need to return the one way rental car to the KW airport so I'll need transport back to the restaurant and we'll all need transport back to the boat from there.

I'll also need to get to the airport to pick up my return rental on Sat. night after we dock on our way back.

Good gads if I left anyone or anything out just fill in an appropriate response and you have my hugest thanks for everything!

See y'all tomorrow or Monday!

Myra

#625 me2me2

me2me2

Getting started

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:49 AM

Myra - If you have a sign off from your doctor, please bring it with you. Captain Frank will want to see it.

Oh sorry I didn't see this one. Gosh y'all are prolific and hard to keep up with! :teeth:

I'm on verbal orders regarding vacation. I've never seen a return to vacation form! I wasn't off work so don't have a return to duty form. I have an RX that says light duty though. I'll make a copy. The Spree should be covered for liability on the release I signed. I know I take responsibility for myself. The doc pretty much said use your best judgement and if it hurts don't do it. Gee I try to live by that advice! I still drive a stick to work every day. Why does that make it sound like I ride a broom stick? I'll rephrase that to... I drive a manual transmission Jeep everyday so you can tell I'm not a total gimp! And I work 12 1/2 hour shifts in a huge busy hospital soooo...... I'm just being careful and doing what I can to make sure I stay a happy and safe camper. :respect: Besides there is no way in hell I'm going to get reinjured and have to sit around on my days off for another 6 weeks drinking beer and reading books by the baby pool in the back yard. While uhm, fun, it hasn't done much for my girlish figure! :sweetie:

Myra

#626 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 07 August 2009 - 08:35 AM

Myra - If you have a sign off from your doctor, please bring it with you. Captain Frank will want to see it.

Oh sorry I didn't see this one. Gosh y'all are prolific and hard to keep up with! :lmao:

I'm on verbal orders regarding vacation. I've never seen a return to vacation form! I wasn't off work so don't have a return to duty form. I have an RX that says light duty though. I'll make a copy. The Spree should be covered for liability on the release I signed. I know I take responsibility for myself. The doc pretty much said use your best judgement and if it hurts don't do it. Gee I try to live by that advice! I still drive a stick to work every day. Why does that make it sound like I ride a broom stick? I'll rephrase that to... I drive a manual transmission Jeep everyday so you can tell I'm not a total gimp! And I work 12 1/2 hour shifts in a huge busy hospital soooo...... I'm just being careful and doing what I can to make sure I stay a happy and safe camper. :respect: Besides there is no way in hell I'm going to get reinjured and have to sit around on my days off for another 6 weeks drinking beer and reading books by the baby pool in the back yard. While uhm, fun, it hasn't done much for my girlish figure! :teeth:

Myra

Myra I was thinking the same thing about you...being prolific and all! :sweetie:

As for the release...this boat capt is very serious about a diver's health and they will sit you out of diving if they don't feel you are up for it. So a doc's release saying you are ok to dive or use your best judgement is VERY HELPFUL if you have it. Otherwise be prepared to state your case if you don't but the final call is ALWAYS the Captain's.

Also hopefully you got trip insurance so if for any reason you can not get back on the boat or the foot hurts too much...you are covered. The CSA policy will cover a pre-existing condition if you opt for that rider. And no its not too late to get it but you need to do so ASAP as the first post tells everyone.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#627 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:10 AM

IMPORTANT TRIP UPDATE:

1. If anyone has a medical condition that may preclude them from diving and the boat crew knows about it, they have the option of not letting you dive. While it may not seem fair...it may save your life so get a doc's permission to dive if you have any issues.

2. Get trip insurance if you have not done so and you are NOT willing to eat the price of the trip if you can't dive, get ill, miss the plane, have your luggage/gear stolen etc. With insurance you will be covered...without it you will pay out of your pocket. The first post STRONGLY ENCOURAGES YOU TO GET IT. This is your 'last call'.

3. If you need special rides or need to get to a dive shop PLEASE START ASKING MEMBERS WITH CARS as soon as you can. This is NOT something SingleDivers.com arranges for you. We leave you to handle this yourself but knowing this group of awesome divers...getting help should not be a problem. Please do not rely on Sandy and I to remember and/or arrange this for you...we would love to but we just can't.

4. Luggage Bags...as mentioned before you should be able to leave your big suitcases at the dock in a locked storage facility owned by the boat. BRING A SOFTSIDED DRAWSTRING TYPE OF BAG TO BRING YOUR THINGS ON THE BOAT as space is very minimal.

5. I am guessing EVERYONE has completed their SPREE WAIVERS and are bringing them with them. IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU HAVE READ THEM IN ADVANCE so they can be signed on the boat or brought to the boat already signed. It is IMPERATIVE THAT YOU HAVE NO MEDICAL REASONS THAT PRECLUDE YOU FROM DIVING. If you do the boat will not allow you to dive without a doctor's release.

6. Unlike the Spree which only offers a 'first come first served' approach for bed assignments...as mentioned before SD.com assigns quads and sleeping areas. We do NOT assign bunks but several people who are unable to get into the upper bunks will be assisted in getting a lower bunk which is what we'd all want if we had the same issues. :sweetie:

7. Please continue to monitor the thread for last minute trip updates. :respect:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#628 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:51 AM

IMPORTANT TRIP UPDATE:

1. If anyone has a medical condition that may preclude them from diving and the boat crew knows about it, they have the option of not letting you dive. While it may not seem fair...it may save your life so get a doc's permission to dive if you have any issues.

2. Get trip insurance if you have not done so and you are NOT willing to eat the price of the trip if you can't dive, get ill, miss the plane, have your luggage/gear stolen etc. With insurance you will be covered...without it you will pay out of your pocket. The first post STRONGLY ENCOURAGES YOU TO GET IT. This is your 'last call'.

3. If you need special rides or need to get to a dive shop PLEASE START ASKING MEMBERS WITH CARS as soon as you can. This is NOT something SingleDivers.com arranges for you. We leave you to handle this yourself but knowing this group of awesome divers...getting help should not be a problem. Please do not rely on Sandy and I to remember and/or arrange this for you...we would love to but we just can't.

4. Luggage Bags...as mentioned before you should be able to leave your big suitcases at the dock in a locked storage facility owned by the boat. BRING A SOFTSIDED DRAWSTRING TYPE OF BAG TO BRING YOUR THINGS ON THE BOAT as space is very minimal.

5. I am guessing EVERYONE has completed their SPREE WAIVERS and are bringing them with them. IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU HAVE READ THEM IN ADVANCE so they can be signed on the boat or brought to the boat already signed. It is IMPERATIVE THAT YOU HAVE NO MEDICAL REASONS THAT PRECLUDE YOU FROM DIVING. If you do the boat will not allow you to dive without a doctor's release.

6. Unlike the Spree which only offers a 'first come first served' approach for bed assignments...as mentioned before SD.com assigns quads and sleeping areas. We do NOT assign bunks but several people who are unable to get into the upper bunks will be assisted in getting a lower bunk which is what we'd all want if we had the same issues. :sweetie:

7. Please continue to monitor the thread for last minute trip updates. :respect:

I will be bringing the Spree Waivers with me for the group.

#629 pam_b

pam_b

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:10 AM

:sweetie: To the Krawlers:

I know most of you are heading out tomorrow :o . Safe travels and diving as you journey down the Keys :respect: . See you on the other side when we get ready to board the Spree :D :wakawaka: :teeth: !!!

---Pam B :lmao: .

#630 Stingray1

Stingray1

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:21 AM

Hey girl....

Due to insurance liability limitations the crew of the boat can not help you with your tank when you return to the boat but I certainly can and so can others if you need it. Just let us know! Kamala

How can you help her out of the water when you are always the last one out?
Phyllis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users