• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

San Marcos River Diving...July 31 to Aug 2

• Please log in to reply
286 replies to this topic

#1 Gfpirate

Gfpirate

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced-Specialty
  • Logged Dives:90+

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:42 PM

I am taking a road trip through Texas this summer may want to stop in San Marcos to dive the river. Does anyone know what is the best dive shop to contact there?

Greg

Who & Where we are diving this weekend as a result of this thread!

This thread is so we can keep track of who is planning to come diving with SD in the San Marcos area of Texas

Details:

250/night plus tax sleeps 6 people ONLY. 2 BR/2 Bath, full kitchen, BBQ outside, washer/dryer, has 1 king, 1 queen and a full size sleeper sofa. This is a ground floor unit. There is one just above this one available on the second floor. You have to go up 15 stairs. It has a queen, queen and twins. Damselfish booked for Friday, Saturday and Sunday night. July 31st - August 2nd.

We can also reserve the condo upstairs too

Places to go:

http://www.gristmill...beergarden.html
www.nb4fun.com
www.gruenehall.com
http://www.texastube...conditions.html

Who is Going!!

Leave Monday:

1. damselfish - Belinda - leave Monday - CONFIRMED
2. ScubaSis - Sissy - leave Monday - CONFIRMED
3. Sonny - Sonny Beaches Arr Friday, Leave Monday - CONFIRMED
4. Karen K.
5. Lynn, G. (air mattress)
6. Madeline C

Leave Sunday:

7. ASDmike - Mike - leave Sunday - CONFIRMED
8 finGrabber - Kimmie - leave Sunday - CONFIRMED
9. SeaUrchin - Que - leave Sunday - CONFIRMED
10. Tom aka TDTexas - leave Sunday - CONFIRMED
11. Victoria - Victoria - leave Sunday - CONFIRMED

Who is Going and No Condo needed!!

9. Sara - Sara_the_Brown (Will not need rooming)

Interested:

1. Scubatooth

Edited by finGrabber, 21 July 2009 - 05:36 PM.
added more people!

#2 damselfish

damselfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Wreck, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:125

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:50 PM

No but I've floated down the Comal river by Shlitterbaun where you'll dive and if you find any money or sunglasses they are probably mine from last summer when my tube turned over. If you dive the Guadalupe River in the area just past the big waterfall drop off and find a 80's style boom box, car keys, money, towels and lots of beer cans, that would be from my high school senior trip 20 years ago when our raft turned over and we all almost drowned lol.

Seriously, have fun, not much fish but hopefully you'll find some treasure! ~ D
Ain't love a BEACH?

#3 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,145 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:10 PM

No but I've floated down the Comal river by Shlitterbaun where you'll dive and if you find any money or sunglasses they are probably mine from last summer when my tube turned over. If you dive the Guadalupe River in the area just past the big waterfall drop off and find a 80's style boom box, car keys, money, towels and lots of beer cans, that would be from my high school senior trip 20 years ago when our raft turned over and we all almost drowned lol.
Seriously, have fun, not much fish but hopefully you'll find some treasure! ~ D

Oh.... my..... Gosh!!! :wakawaka: Dear Damselfish, please if you are gonna post stuff like this you should precede with a disclaimer of some sort, like "WARNING: Uncontrollable Laughter Ahead!"

I was tempted to banter up but realized that would be risk the comedic equivalent of painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa. One cannot improve upon the perfection of content or delivery.

I can still barely see through the tears of mirth clouding my vision, but simply had to reply with accolades for such a fun and clever rant made all the more funny since I am sure it is true. You're a genuine gem dear B., a pearl if you will, and we're all the richer for having you here with us.

We now return to our previously scheduled topic, Where and with Whom to Dive in San Marcos.

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to the plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#4 damselfish

damselfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:04 PM

Sadly it is totally true lol. And I'M the one who helped turned the raft over by frantically paddling to the shore after hearing the waterfall while the others paddled for the waterfall. We went over sideways! lol. Tubed the Guadelupe many, many times! Can't wait to do it again this summer!
Thanks Brad ,of course you were laughing WITH me not AT me! lol! Right?
Ain't love a BEACH?

#5 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:12 AM

I believe that several of the shops from the metroplex have come down to participate in the cleanup dives on the Comal, perhaps they may be of help. While I am not familiar with any shops in the immediate area, Oak Hill Scuba is in South Austin and might be your only chance. They are located of off West highway 71, a little off the beaten path from I-35.

Hope that helps!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#6 scubajunkie6

scubajunkie6

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Nitrox certified
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:45 AM

"The Dive Shop" in San Marcos was one of 2 shops in the area when I got certified at school there, in the early 80's. It is still around, but couldn't tell you (now) if it's a good one or not.

The San Marcos river is the same temp year round, so that's kind of nice.

It IS amazing what you could find on the Comal river near the water falls! Damselfish, I've got similar stories, your post made me think of the past...oh my! :canuckdiver:

#7 UP Diver

UP Diver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Board Status:Occasionally lurking on and off the board...
  • Logged Dives:>150

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:10 PM

Gregg -

Several shops in the DFW area, both PADI and SSI market the "Diving for Science" program at Aquarena Springs, now operated as part of the Texas State (formerly Southwest Texas State University). You go through their DFS program and you can dive the springs, clearly the best place on the river (a play on the excellent viz in the springs).

I haven't done the program but know others that have. You can check out the program by doing a Google search on Aquarena Springs or Diving for Science. Maybe an interesting diversion, maybe another specialty if you need one (again PADI or SSI), maybe just an excuse to check it out!

Interesting flora and fauna in the springs, as well as the home to several endangered species.

UP diver
:teeth:
"Well, my name is Jim...
but most people just call me - Jim."

Gene Wilder, Blazing Saddles

#8 Gfpirate

Gfpirate

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced-Specialty
  • Logged Dives:90+

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:29 PM

Thanks for all the information. Appreciate it.

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:00 PM

I believe that several of the shops from the metroplex have come down to participate in the cleanup dives on the Comal, perhaps they may be of help. While I am not familiar with any shops in the immediate area, Oak Hill Scuba is in South Austin and might be your only chance. They are located of off West highway 71, a little off the beaten path from I-35.

Hope that helps!

They are an AWESOME SHOP!!! Tell them Kamala and SingleDivers.com sent you! They love us! kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:02 PM

I believe that several of the shops from the metroplex have come down to participate in the cleanup dives on the Comal, perhaps they may be of help.

FYI...I want SingleDivers.com to participate in that this year...I think its in Oct...we'll split this off and make a new thread to discuss it! :birthday:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#11 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:14 AM

I believe that several of the shops from the metroplex have come down to participate in the cleanup dives on the Comal, perhaps they may be of help.

FYI...I want SingleDivers.com to participate in that this year...I think its in Oct...we'll split this off and make a new thread to discuss it! :thankyou:

That would be cool!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#12 UP Diver

UP Diver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Board Status:Occasionally lurking on and off the board...
  • Logged Dives:>150

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:34 AM

FYI...I want SingleDivers.com to participate in that this year...I think its in Oct...we'll split this off and make a new thread to discuss it! :thankyou:
[/quote]

Kamala -

You want SD to participate in Cleaning the Comal or Diving for Science? I must have lost the thread here, or the Mad Cow is sinking in....

With humor, I remain -

UP Diver
:cool1:
"Well, my name is Jim...
but most people just call me - Jim."

Gene Wilder, Blazing Saddles

#13 Sara_the_Brown

Sara_the_Brown

Getting started

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW - Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:22

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:12 PM

It IS amazing what you could find on the Comal river near the water falls! Damselfish, I've got similar stories, your post made me think of the past...oh my! :D

Haven't dove in San Marcos but have been on both sides of the Comal (above in a tube and diving below). If you do go that route, go early in the morning so you don't have to deal with the tubers later in the day. Temp is the same all the time there, too. Had some fun teasing very large crawfish and daring Dad (aka Cap'n Jack) to drink a beer we found in the river.

And you'll get to say you dove in the shortest river in Texas - it's less than a mile long!

#14 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,145 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:28 AM

Haven't dove in San Marcos but have been on both sides of the Comal... *Snip-Snap* ...Had some fun teasing very large crawfish and daring Dad (aka Cap'n Jack) to drink a beer we found in the river...*ala-ka-Snip*

Dear Sara, based on the evidence in this thread I submit that if your Dad the Cap'n popped that top he now owes our darlin' Damselfish one (1) beer. :sweetie: He and ~B can negotiate at their convenience...

And now, my work here is done! Hiiiyooo Silverrrr, AWAYYyyyy.....
*WhoaeasyboyslowdownwasitthespursanicecanterwilldoHELLLP!*

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to the plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#15 damselfish

damselfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:39 PM

Um I'm not going to say how old that beer was but hopefully it aged well. Let's see, if it was a bud it probably wasn't mine. In fact if it was unopened it probably did not come off our raft. I think that's why we all almost drowned. lol. :wakawaka: ~ D
Ain't love a BEACH?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users