• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DISCUSSION ONLY: NC Wreck & SharkDiving Again July 2-6, 2010

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
122 replies to this topic

#106 dolphinswimmer

dolphinswimmer

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Cert Level:adv open water, nitrox, recsue
  • Logged Dives:300++

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:32 PM

HI all, put me down as interested. Need to work on getting the time off, planning on driving, unless I can cheap airfare :-D
dolphinswimmer aka Carole
Trip Sign-up Questions? Contact us at trips@singledivers.com
General forum questions? Contact our helpful Angels or Charlies

#107 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,620 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:00 PM

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

This trip is almost ready for posting. A few caveats...

1. All divers need to be AOW or equivalent or spoken to me about your ability to make these dives...and the few of you this applies to know who I am talking about! :-D

2. This venue is PERFECT for nitrox. All dives are essentially square dives at depth. Therefore Nitrox will be required for this trip. Why? Aside from being the gas of choice...it DOUBLES your bottom time. AND the dive shop we are using has so few requests for air that they now only offer nitrox.

Not Nitrox Certified? NO PROBLEM...get your cert on this trip! Do your paperwork in advance and use the boat rides to do the course work.

3. Premier Members will have 7 days to book this trip before all other members.
They will get a pm which is the FIRST notification that goes out to advise the trip is open for booking. They will get $25 back after the trip if they file for it and they will probably fill it out before it opens up for the general members.

Not a Premier Member yet? NO PROBLEM sign up today by clicking on MY CONTROLS then PAID SUBSCRIPTIONS under Options and then choose Premier Member then use choose payment options. Paypal is auto upgrade. Choose POST to use the payment gateway link in my signature.

4. Fly in Vs. Drive in pricing: "Fly In" assumes you are meeting us in RDU (Raleigh Durham) and riding with us in the van. It also assumes you are NOT departing ON the last day of diving but staying over that night and departing the next morning.

"Drive In" assumes you are driving to Atlantic Beach on your own and you are departing after our dives on day 3. Therefore it does not include rental car or extra night of hotel.

Drive In divers are welcome to upgrade to an extra night and/or use the shared vans. The vans are set up to take all 18 divers including luggage if it works out that way. There is a discount for upgrading to both the 4th night AND the vans. So its cheaper if you wish to do both to use the "Fly In" Price.

And finally...a note as to whether you will need "Fills" or "Rentals". If you are BRINGING TANKS WITH YOU you will need fills. If you are renting tanks you will need rentals. Rentals include the gas/fill in them so you do not need to add anything else.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#108 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,620 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:00 PM

HI all, put me down as interested. Need to work on getting the time off, planning on driving, unless I can cheap airfare :-D
dolphinswimmer aka Carole

Great we'll get you on the list!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#109 InfoSecDVR

InfoSecDVR

Getting started

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:43 PM

Hi NewbieDiverr

The diving off NC is deep, in the 100-120 area. It is 20 miles off shore, so the boat rides are long. On a good day it is some of the best diving anywhere. But... When the conditions are less the ideal you need to be able to say no. I have called dives I wasn't comfortable making.

Current, vis and sea state all factor into whether or not it is an easy dive or an advanced one. There is no easy answer to your question. On an SD trip there will be lots of divers at various levels of training and experience. All of them will be willing to help out. If you have any specific questions please feel free to post them. There are no dumb questions here!!

I love diving here in NC. Last year I did a dive where I sat on the bottom next to an artificial reef ship wreck and counted 14 sand tiger sharks in my field of view. Then we went into the open hold and explored there. the sea life that congregates on these wrecks must be seen to be believed. Then there is the history in some of the wrecks. The first time i dropped onto the U-352 when I was only 20feet deep almost the entire sub came into view and with no current we free fell all the way to the sand. A super day to say the least. To see it lying out in front of you is a sight you will never forget. :cool2:

Thanks Charlie. It sounds really exciting but I suspect it will be something I need to work my way up to. I will also talk with the Dive Master that trained me to get his feel. I will also read what Kamala has posted. I am pursuing my AOW certs and it sounds like those are required. One step at a time.

Are you at Bragg?
I don't care what you do for a living, I don't care what kind of car you drive.....
What I want to know right now is what do you believe in?
What does it mean to you to be alive?
-DH

#110 InfoSecDVR

InfoSecDVR

Getting started

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:45 PM

Temps are USUALLY in the low 80's or high 70's. Those temps were UNUSUALLY low.

Trust me...I would not Dive NC if that was standard water temps. :cool2:

I live in Charlotte NC and would be interested in this dive. However, I have read and heard that wreck diving here is challenging especially for a new diver like myself. I plan to attend some deep and stress and rescue classes before the dates of this trip. Can anyone share any experience or challenges this dive would hold for a new diver like myself. Thanks.

Randy

Hey Randy, this is pretty advanced diving. Please read post number 76 where Kamala gives a very good description of what you can expect.

Thanks. I will read and learn. :)

Randy
I don't care what you do for a living, I don't care what kind of car you drive.....
What I want to know right now is what do you believe in?
What does it mean to you to be alive?
-DH

#111 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,620 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:50 PM

Since you have upgraded to a Premier Member :cool2: drop me a line with how many dives you have or feel free to call me. I have dove with many people who did our Rent-A-Buddy program and were sooooooooooooooo solid after it that I would dive with them ANYWHERE including NC...and they know who they are! :)

I have made 100's of dives off NC and its in my top 3 dive destinations in the world...so I'm a pretty good judge of who is ready and who is not...I know I was NOT ready when I made my first dives there. But I lived to help others!

Glad you found us...I can already tell you will fit in WONDERFULLY! :respect:

And if its at all possible...making your first NC dives with us would not only help you but it would be our honor! :)

formerly...

#112 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:02 PM

Thanks Charlie. It sounds really exciting but I suspect it will be something I need to work my way up to. I will also talk with the Dive Master that trained me to get his feel. I will also read what Kamala has posted. I am pursuing my AOW certs and it sounds like those are required. One step at a time.

Are you at Bragg?

Hi Randy

I am at Pope AFB. I'm a technician with the Air Force Reserves there.

And it's Jerry :cool2: . Charlie is a title on the site. We help out here and there. we're cyber elves :) .

I hope to meet you soon on a trip.

Jerry

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#113 sparky103

sparky103

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:180

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:06 PM

I'm more than interested.

I'M GOING!!!!
How much $ can I send - Huh ?
Is it time now ?

Jeff
There's a fine line between stubborn and stupid. Pete Dexter

There's hope,  just not for us. Franz Kafka

When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself. jacques-yves cousteau

I rise every morning torn between the desire to save the world, or to savor the world. E B White

In three words I can sum up life: It goes on. Robert Frost

#114 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:13 PM

I'M GOING!!!!
Is it time now ?

Jeff

:) Here we go again! Now you know this trip will not be ready for booking until Kamala returns the Friday after next Friday, when there is a full moon! I will send you an email when it's time. :cool2:

#115 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,620 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:12 AM

I'M GOING!!!!
Is it time now ?

Jeff

:) Here we go again! Now you know this trip will not be ready for booking until Kamala returns the Friday after next Friday, when there is a full moon! I will send you an email when it's time. :)

:lmao:

Sandy if you weren't so funny I think my feelings would be hurt...but I'm laughing too hard to be upset about anything! :cool2: I needed that.... :respect:

formerly...

#116 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,620 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:06 AM

Another Important Update:

We are looking at the van configurations and we may have to monitor the number of fly in divers and drive in divers. While we are putting the finishing touches on the trip can you please let us know if you are planning to fly or drive? Thank you! kamala

formerly...

#117 DiveGeek

DiveGeek

Special Projects Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Board Status:Getting back into the swing of things
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer, IANTD Normoxic Trimix Diver
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:42 AM

I'm definitely interested in this trip, but I have a couple of questions:
1. Which dive operation are we using? Will they do helium fills or will I have to arrange for that myself?
2. Will there be other divers diving tech profiles, or will I be forced into a recreational profile? Definitely not a deal-breaker, but I'll need to know.
"When you shoot underwater, you have limited time, subject matter that rarely sits still, let alone cooperates, and exposure that changes moment to moment. It's a place where you have to constantly wrangle light, composition, subject and depth, and then find a way to be creative." - Eric Cheng

#118 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,620 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:58 AM

I'm definitely interested in this trip, but I have a couple of questions:
1. Which dive operation are we using? Will they do helium fills or will I have to arrange for that myself?
2. Will there be other divers diving tech profiles, or will I be forced into a recreational profile? Definitely not a deal-breaker, but I'll need to know.

Mark you will do recreational profiles with extended limits assuming you are FIRST off the boat and I do MEAN FIRST. If a recreational diver gets in before you...it totally recreational limits. Helium is only available via Olympus which is on the other side of the island or about 5 to 6 miles away.

To my knowledge you will be the only diver doing a true tech profile diving trimix. You can use add'l gases to offgas faster which will allow you longer bottom times but we will be doing 2 dives per day with a 1.5hr SI or slightly longer for those first OUT of the water. If the time from the first diver to the last diver getting in is about 30-45 minutes then you have that time to work with in your calculations. You can talk to Bill in GREAT detail as to how this can work so you can decide if you are interested.

The other caveat is SPACE. You are quite limited in space to 2 tank racks per diver and about 2ft under the dive bench for your gear.

Since its not a tech charter obviously you are limited. Bill and I have both dove doubles and had 1 sling bottle each and been fine. I've seen recreational divers bring on enough gear to fit 3 people and that does not cut it. There is limited camera space but again doable.

formerly...

#119 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:03 PM

I'll be driving down from Pennsylvania for this one. I'll have my doubles with Nitrox and a 30 or 40 sling bottle of High PO2 Nitrox in it.

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#120 Harleyguy1963

Harleyguy1963

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Board Status:x
  • Cert Level:Level 3 advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:29 PM

I plan on driving over. I will be bringing my steel 120's. I also have a pair of steel 100's if somebody needs more air. They are only air though.

Gary
Gary T

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users