• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2010: DISCUSSION Philippines

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaShafer

ScubaShafer

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT
  • Logged Dives:2460

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:57 PM

NOTE: Just split this off to better discuss this aa a trip option for 2010.

I just returned from a trip to the Philippines. Yea, yea, I thought the same thing too before I left, but after spending 5 days in Puerto Galera and another 10 days in Dumaguete, I want to go back!

Actually, I will be going back, but I'd like to be with the fine people of SingleDivers.com.

The walls and reefs of Verde and Apo Islands were stunning. And I never thought I'd be saying this, but the muck diving rivaled the muck diving of Lembeh Straits! There's not a lot of BIG STUFF, so no "Zoo Diving" here, but the critters were awesome. And the Ducomi Pier dive blows the Bonaire Town Pier dive out of the water!

The people are so friendly, helpful, beautiful, and genuine! And the trip is reasonably priced!

I stayed at Atlantis Dive Resorts in both locations, and both Chefs were 5-Star! They also had a pretty good wine and drink selection.

The resort in Puerto Galera is in the middle of the town, so there is plenty of "action" at the bar and the surrounding area. In Dumaguete, however, the resort is quite a distance from the town, which made for a very quite and peaceful setting. In other words, "We'll need to make our own party."

Oh, and starting at the end of this year, they will have a liveaboard experience to several different locations (depending on the time of year).

Kamala, can we go? Please? Please? Please?

PS - Kamala - You can give John Boozer two thumbs up!
It's a GR8 day to be alive!

"Good things come to those who wait." Heinz - 1980s
"Good things come to those who wait." Guinness - 1990s
"Good things come to those with weights." ScubaShafer - 2008

#2 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:55 AM

I just returned from a trip to the Philippines. Yea, yea, I thought the same thing too before I left, but after spending 5 days in Puerto Galera and another 10 days in Dumaguete, I want to go back!

Actually, I will be going back, but I'd like to be with the fine people of SingleDivers.com.

The walls and reefs of Verde and Apo Islands were stunning. And I never thought I'd be saying this, but the muck diving rivaled the muck diving of Lembeh Straits! There's not a lot of BIG STUFF, so no "Zoo Diving" here, but the critters were awesome. And the Ducomi Pier dive blows the Bonaire Town Pier dive out of the water!

The people are so friendly, helpful, beautiful, and genuine! And the trip is reasonably priced!

I stayed at Atlantis Dive Resorts in both locations, and both Chefs were 5-Star! They also had a pretty good wine and drink selection.

The resort in Puerto Galera is in the middle of the town, so there is plenty of "action" at the bar and the surrounding area. In Dumaguete, however, the resort is quite a distance from the town, which made for a very quite and peaceful setting. In other words, "We'll need to make our own party."

Oh, and starting at the end of this year, they will have a liveaboard experience to several different locations (depending on the time of year).

Sounds amazing! when exactly does the liveaboard start Bruce?

Kamala, can we go? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? ....
Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

#3 ScubaShafer

ScubaShafer

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT
  • Logged Dives:2460

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:35 PM

Sounds amazing! when exactly does the liveaboard start Bruce?

Kamala, can we go? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? ....

Sheena - Atlantis's liveaboard will start up this year around August, but will have Tubbataha on their itinerary for next March-June!
It's a GR8 day to be alive!

"Good things come to those who wait." Heinz - 1980s
"Good things come to those who wait." Guinness - 1990s
"Good things come to those with weights." ScubaShafer - 2008

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:56 PM

Well I was looking at doing Red Sea and Fiji again as our big trips...but maybe I need to rethink Philippines....it was AMAZING when we were there!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#5 Guest_Sea Urchin_*

Guest_Sea Urchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:16 AM

Well I was looking at doing Red Sea and Fiji again as our big trips...but maybe I need to rethink Philippines....it was AMAZING when we were there!

I missed this trip last time because your WEDDING threw my schedule all out of whack (and that tiny itty bitty issue with a passport). So add me to the "me too" request for a do-over, pretty please. :cheerleader:

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 06:10 AM

We have broken this thread off for better discussion as a viable option for 2010's second big trip.

If you are serious about learning more let us know. I'll work on some preliminary pricing and dates. Please let us know what dates work for you. Do we shoot for 1st quarter aka WINTER or other times. This will be valuble for our planning... :cheerleader:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#7 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:27 AM

We have broken this thread off for better discussion as a viable option for 2010's second big trip.

If you are serious about learning more let us know. I'll work on some preliminary pricing and dates. Please let us know what dates work for you. Do we shoot for 1st quarter aka WINTER or other times. This will be valuble for our planning... :teeth:

Kamala, I am seriously interested in this. Add me to the list! I would rather go during the best dive times. Also, March and later in the summer and fall 2010 I am currently researching. Philipines is on the list - only 7ish hour direct flight to Manila for me :-)

Edited by weescot, 10 May 2009 - 08:27 AM.

Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

#8 Victoria

Victoria

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Board Status:Checking in when I can...
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:28...sad, I know....

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:44 AM

Ya know, I'd be rather interested in diving the Philippines as well, but if given the either/or choice between the Philippines and the Red Sea, I'll choose the Red Sea.

To those who have been to both the Philippines and Fiji: Which location do you perceive is more financially feasible regarding air, lodging/liveaboard costs, food?

Just wondering.

Click here to email questions to the Angels & Charlies. Find out about Operation Care & Share here.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." -- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

"The right thing to do never requires any subterfuge, it is always simple and direct." -- Calvin Coolidge

#9 secretsea18

secretsea18

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:15 PM

To those who have been to both the Philippines and Fiji: Which location do you perceive is more financially feasible regarding air, lodging/liveaboard costs, food?

Philippines, hand down is an excellent deal. with superb diving.

My diving: Fiji -- 3 trips
Philippines -- 11 trips

My next for sure dive destination: Philippines (maybe in September, but definitely will be there February 2010)

Just my 2cents.
Robin

Edited by secretsea18, 10 May 2009 - 12:17 PM.

#10 Victoria

Victoria

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Board Status:Checking in when I can...
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:28...sad, I know....

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:24 PM

Philippines -- 11 trips

My next for sure dive destination: Philippines (maybe in September, but definitely will be there February 2010)

Just my 2cents.
Robin

Thanks Robin! That's exactly the sort of feedback I'm looking for. Have you found that air fare to/from PI from the U.S. is significantly less than U.S. to/from Fiji, or just a little lower?

I know you predominantly do macro photography, but can you tell me about the bigger critters? Are they, too, in abundance?

Click here to email questions to the Angels & Charlies. Find out about Operation Care & Share here.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." -- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

"The right thing to do never requires any subterfuge, it is always simple and direct." -- Calvin Coolidge

#11 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:52 PM

Philippines -- 11 trips

Just my 2cents.
Robin

Thanks Robin! That's exactly the sort of feedback I'm looking for. Have you found that air fare to/from PI from the U.S. is significantly less than U.S. to/from Fiji, or just a little lower?

I know you predominantly do macro photography, but can you tell me about the bigger critters? Are they, too, in abundance?

I guess air depends upon what you want. For me, I like to buy coach (rather expensive coach) and use miles to upgrade to Business. :welcome: That way, I can sleep (really sleep) on the plane and feel rather rested when I arrive. I do that every trip to PI, but have not been able to do that for Fiji, as Fiji has very limited airlines to it, compared to PI. But I believe that PI can be reached for less than $1000 most of the time. Overall diving in the PI can be done at 4 dives a day including guide and boat for ~1200/week, including accommodations and great food. I am not so much interested in going to bars or different restaurants at night, but rather prefer the way my place does it, August makes my breakfast, lunch and dinner around my diving schedule. I like to spend my nights doing a 90 minute night dive to going to some bar.

Regarding the diving: Fiji is great, but I like PI even better. Last trip to Fiji, there were far fewer large pelagics than on prior trips (however, I must state that my last trip to Fiji was in 2000. I have found some magnificent macro subjects in Fiji, and even have some animals/nudis that I have seen there and nowhere else in the world! As for PI, where I go predominantly diving, the location is well known for Macro and anyone going expecting to see pelagics has not done their homework, so I don't even bring wide angle equipment most of the time. That said, whale sharks have been seen lately there on occasion.

There will be a couple of PI liveaboards starting this year, the one others have mentioned (that I have not heard of) and the PI Siren run by Frank of Worldwide Dive and Sail. I was on the Siren to the Andamans last year and can vouch for the spaciousness of the boat and the fact that they provide (free of charge) quality Regs and BCs, Nitrox, sodas and beer! :P I have never been on a Tubattaha trip, as the time of year doesn't work well for me, and the current bunch of Liveaboards look like crap to me.
Feel free to ask any more questions.

Edited by secretsea18, 10 May 2009 - 04:56 PM.

#12 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:01 PM

As for PI, I have never been on a Tubattaha trip, as the time of year doesn't work well for me, and the current bunch of Liveaboards look like crap to me.

Hey Robin, I've got a question...what do you mean by "the time of year doesn't work well" for you? What time of year do you mean?
Thanks!!
Heidi

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:25 PM

There are many ways to dive the Philippines...just as there are MANY islands to dive in the Philippines. However for a little more you can do it first class all the way. So assume at least $3k for All Inclusive and Airfare from LAX for first class diving where Bruce aka ScubaShafer went. We went to Atlantis 2 years ago and would return in a heartbeat. For many it will be the only chance to dive this wonderful place so for a few extra bucks its worth it to do it RIGHT! Along with all kinds of great SDer's too!

Egypt will be more than that as it will be a longer trip and it has MANY EXTRAS that you need to do if you are going that far!

formerly...

#14 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:25 AM

As for PI, I have never been on a Tubattaha trip, as the time of year doesn't work well for me, and the current bunch of Liveaboards look like crap to me.

Hey Robin, I've got a question...what do you mean by "the time of year doesn't work well" for you? What time of year do you mean?
Thanks!!
Heidi

The Tubbataha trips run March - June. I usually am in the Philippines in February annually for my surgical mission, and thus it is too early for that location. Then I have two conferences that are usually end of March through May that are 1 week and then 4 days in length that I usually need to attend, too. Then end of June is my residents graduation stuff. Sooo... it's easy to see how it may be difficult for those months to work for me, as it would involve a two week trip to PI. Other places in PI are not so seasonal, but my favorite place, Anilao is somewhat seasonal too. Luckily, I am there already during the early part of the becoming "high" season".

#15 lileire

lileire

Getting started

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:45 AM

Is there any pricing yet on this trip?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users