• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Hurricane Francis

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#76 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 04 September 2004 - 12:04 PM

Glad to hear you are better protected now, Jill. Maybe you'll get lucky & it will die down before it reaches you. :unsure:

Jenny & I took a little drive over to my house- we got back a little while ago. The seas look so incredible! Waves are about 10 feet with seaspray doubling in height. The waves were starting to break over the pier by the time we left. You can see the sets breaking on each of the three reef lines out there- simply beautiful but, I know that a lot of damage is being done to the reef & it's just getting started.

Winds are definitely much stronger- up to 70-80 MPH gusts at times & the tide was coming in so waves were occasionally coming up to the seawall where we access the beach- by high tide, it will have reached the road past my house. Honestly, if we hadn't had the Hermitcrab with us, we would have stayed a while longer. We took some pictures (film). With the prior damage that was done to the pier, I'm not really sure that it is going to make it. One of the buoys from north of the pier was pulled loose & was being washed south by the current.

The wind has picked up considerably out here with sporatic rain. We've already had a hiccup of a power outage so, I think we can expect to lose it relatively soon- I hope not- I'm such a sd.com addict. :whistle:

Anyway, here's hoping that Frances starts picking up speed again soon- this 5-6 MPH movement is what is really going to cause a lot of the worst damage. Better for it to be moving quickly so that it passes over & goes away. Right now, per the latest advisory, it has stalled & may sit there for up to 6 hours. The eye has reformed, not a good thing. Frances is so very large- the size of Texas- that the entire state, with the exception of Key West (can you believe that?)& up in the Panhandle is under watch or warning...

Well that's the latest report from your not-so-roving puveyor of doom & gloom located in Florida! Really cool looking out there- going out to watch some more, now... :marvel:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#77 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 04 September 2004 - 01:53 PM

Marvel - I can't believe you went out in that. We just had our second feeder ban. The meterologist said to expect the gust and there it was. Charley occurred at night and didn't see much, but I've seen plenty now. My goodness can it rain. My guess is close to an inch in that squall. Time to dump the pool again, trying to stay ahead of it while I still have power. It's nice of Jenny to let you use her PC. It looks like you guys are about half way through, cause it started to move a little again. Waiting for the 5 pm report.

Stay safe.
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#78 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 01:56 PM

Dump that pool, girl!

Don't think we are any where near the halfway mark yet- the eye is still about 130 miles out. We're just getting the outer bands. It's not going to make landfall until late, late tonight.... :wakawaka:

Funny, we've lost phone but not DSL connectivity, which uses the phone line...
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#79 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 04 September 2004 - 10:23 PM

Marvel & Jenny drove to the sea in 70 mph gusts?! :wakawaka: That blonde hair runs deep, eh?

Hope all we know come thru this big, bad storm surprisingly intact. I know that not everyone can, but I'm selfish. I want my friends okay.

And what's hell on this end, you guys are gonna' lose power, and we won't hear how great you're doing for days.

Damn - next time, just head for Denver early, will ya'?! The nose bleeds will stop after a few days at a mile high.

Edited by DandyDon, 04 September 2004 - 10:27 PM.

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#80 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 10:44 AM

Frances must be a redhead, very stubborn storm. I am stlll on the northeast side of the eye, which decided to rebuild about 3 hours ago. 65 to 75 mile hour gusts here and expected to last until 3:00. Can't believe Marvel and Jenny went out in this. I'm been thanking my builder most of the day. I am not seeing any shingles flying. I did see my neighbors strip on the top of his roof peel about 1/2 back a few hours ago.

I am so lucky to still have power. Hope the right of you Floridians are doing as well.

Stay safe!
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#81 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 05 September 2004 - 10:45 AM

I hope ALL of you are safe in FL. This is a recent photo that I just received and ALL of FL is in trouble. An awesome but very scary image.

Please all of you stay safe and by all means DO NOT venture out anymore.

Attached Images

• frances.jpg

[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#82 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 05 September 2004 - 11:08 AM

Conditions are mild here in Fort Myers. I just walked to the grocery store and back. We have light rain and it's a tad windy. Nothing to write home about. Other part of the state are getting much worse.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#83 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 02:03 PM

Winds have now died down here. I have NOT been out since this morning dumping the overnight water from my pool. I only see a few small branches in my front yard and a small tree in a neighbors yards holding on by it's roof. No solar panels, unattached shingles, or trees down. Appears my neighborhood was blessed once again.

I know that is not the case of those who were not able to have the roofs fixed since Charley. I will not be going out until tomorrow. They changed our curfew from 6pm to 6am, but have no need to go out.

We are expecting rain to continue through tomorrow, I know there are still going to be many more impacted by this as it goes to the gulf. Stay safe and follow the suggestions of the media and government.

And now there is Ivan, my vacation in Key West beginning next Sunday isn't looking too good.

#84 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 10:11 AM

Back home & connected again. No damage to my home, thank the Lord. The big palm tree that was at the entrence to the beach here did not survive- that's all the damage that we found. I just spent an hour or two cleaning up excess debris from around my seawall & am hopping into the shower. I'm not going to bother to unpack a lot- Ivan appears to be headed straight towards us next & is projected to reach here by next Saturday or Sunday. (sigh) Well, at least my landlord will let me board up this next time.

Glad everyone that we've heard from so far has weathered the storm safely. If anyone hears from Blue Angel &/or KBScarlett, let us know- BA was right in the path in Sebring & Krista was in Boynton- got a decent hit there too. My daughter across the state north of Tampa only experienced some wind & rain, for which I am thankful.

Thank you all for all your prayers, offers of shelter, & support (& even the scoldings)- I have so much love for our newly formed sd.com family.
Marvel

Posted Image

#85 wannadive420

wannadive420

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:125

Posted 06 September 2004 - 10:48 AM

Glad to hear you're OK. I haven't been online for a few days so I've been catching up. If Ivan looks like it will hit near you... you have a place to stay here in Georgia.
Stay safe.

#86 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 12:11 PM

Aw, thanks! Be careful, though- we just migth take you up on it! We're getting awfully tired of this weather- especially Jill & the gang a bit further north, I'm sure.... :wavey:
Marvel

Posted Image

#87 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 02:58 PM

Marvel - Glad you are safe and no personal damage. Can you say cabin fever! I am almost finished with my second jigsaw puzzle, both underwater scenes. Since I moved my table in from the lania I had a great place to do jigsaw puzzles. It was like being in Minnesota for the winter again.

I don't think we will be hearing from the members in Melbourne, Daytona Beach and New Symrna Beach for awhile. They really took a hit.

Most of our rain came yesterday afternoon and through the night. Lots of possible tornados all day long today. I am not ready for another one this weekend. At least this one is moving faster, the waiting and sitting and watching it beat us was very tiresome.

#88 H2Oaddict

H2Oaddict

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:1,200+

Posted 06 September 2004 - 04:31 PM

This was the LONGEST storm but luckily I live on a street with lots of friends. We had Hurricane pot luck meals and lots of board games, card games and movies. I lost 2 palm trees and my neighbor had a tree come down on his son's car. Always had electric and phone - feel very blessed.

P.S. We are all leaving up the shutters to see what Ivan is doing. I can't believe I may be foreced out of another weekend of diving.

Be safe.
Happy Diving, LJMongy

#89 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox

Posted 06 September 2004 - 05:34 PM

My daughter stayed in North Melbourne at her boyfriends parents house. They are all OK. She has returned to her apartment and it has water and her phone works, but no power yet. One of her friends has all utilities. However, I warned them that as power is restored in some areas, it may be turned off in others to fix downed lines, etc. My son should have driven back to Melbourne from Punta Gorda. Florida Institute of Technology has decided to close for the week. Donna will be here until Thursday and then go back to Sebastian. Her condo is just fine, but the car port out front was destroyed.

Hope everyone else is OK, too.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#90 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 09:55 PM

Glad to hear from a couple more folks that all is well. :cool2: Funny- we never lost poser at all here, from all reposts.....
Marvel

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users