• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Need to buy a new computer...

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:57 PM

SPLIT OFF FROM THE COMPUTER ERROR MESSAGES I CAN UNDERSTAND THREAD:

Back in my days as a system programmer, before the days of DOS, let alone Windows, I used sometimes to put in a message such as these. These days the ones I find most infuriating are those which simply say nothing intelligible or nothing at all, and then add an [OK] box that you have to click to make any progress whatsoever.

Another that infuriates me is the question when I exit MS Mail because my internet connection has gone down [You have messages waiting to be sent. Do you want to send them now]. Of COURSE I want to send them, but I still have to click [No] or be stuck in an endless loop.

I'm shortly going to buy a new computer. I have two main options, and I'd like advice as to which way to go:-

(1) Buy a Windows-based laptop, which for me will be a Dell or HP. I'll go for one with a quad processor which will mean a cost of $800-$1000. My question on this is, will I find Win7 acceptable (I detest Vista) or will I still want to go back to XP? If so, and I but a 64 bit machine with a quad processor, will such a move be possible or desirable?

(2) Buy a Mac, which for what I want (the same sort of spec as above) will work out at around $1600-$1800. Around double. And I won't have any software for it. What is the reliability of Mac machines, as I've heard all sorts of horror stories about Mac products of all descriptions?

Edited by WreckWench, 06 February 2010 - 06:21 AM.
Split off to form new subject

• Guests

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:09 PM

Back in my days as a system programmer, before the days of DOS, let alone Windows, I used sometimes to put in a message such as these. These days the ones I find most infuriating are those which simply say nothing intelligible or nothing at all, and then add an [OK] box that you have to click to make any progress whatsoever.

Another that infuriates me is the question when I exit MS Mail because my internet connection has gone down [You have messages waiting to be sent. Do you want to send them now]. Of COURSE I want to send them, but I still have to click [No] or be stuck in an endless loop.

I'm shortly going to buy a new computer. I have two main options, and I'd like advice as to which way to go:-

(1) Buy a Windows-based laptop, which for me will be a Dell or HP. I'll go for one with a quad processor which will mean a cost of $800-$1000. My question on this is, will I find Win7 acceptable (I detest Vista) or will I still want to go back to XP? If so, and I but a 64 bit machine with a quad processor, will such a move be possible or desirable?

(2) Buy a Mac, which for what I want (the same sort of spec as above) will work out at around $1600-$1800. Around double. And I won't have any software for it. What is the reliability of Mac machines, as I've heard all sorts of horror stories about Mac products of all descriptions?

I have used a Mac for the last 10 years and I have barely had any problems at all. I refuse to have a windows based computer in my home. I find it takes too much effort to keep them working... and I am a professional programmer now. My experience is that they are extremely reliable and you don't have to buy a new one every time a new OS is released. The OS is now based on UNIX and is very solid.

#3 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:49 PM

I want a laptop with a screen no larger than about 15". On it I want to edit photographs (Photoshop) and streaming video, plus some music file editing (as opposed to composing) together with the normal activities of a personal computer. I was looking at the Macbook, which I believe comes only as a 13", and the Macbook Pro, which comes as 13", 15" and other sizes. The "Pro" at 13" is more expensive than the regular, but I can't see why. Then there are lots of optional extras, which can very quickly double the purchase price. What would you recommend?

• Guests

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:39 PM

I want a laptop with a screen no larger than about 15". On it I want to edit photographs (Photoshop) and streaming video, plus some music file editing (as opposed to composing) together with the normal activities of a personal computer. I was looking at the Macbook, which I believe comes only as a 13", and the Macbook Pro, which comes as 13", 15" and other sizes. The "Pro" at 13" is more expensive than the regular, but I can't see why. Then there are lots of optional extras, which can very quickly double the purchase price. What would you recommend?

I have a 15" macbook pro and I love it. The only thing I upgraded was the memory. I maxed that out. You can get aftermarket memory at a much cheaper price than the apple stuff (around half price). I can run both windows and OSx on it also. I actually run them side by side and can share files between the 2 OS's. However, I have never tried to do what you are talking about. Someone else will have to recommend a PC based laptop. My understanding is that windows7 is supposed to be good enough to be a contender for OSx but I cannot verify that myself. If I was you I would certainly not discount Windows 7 until there is a reason to. I have heard good things about it.

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:05 PM

I have been in the same quandary...my travel pc has been slowly dying and I have wanted to switch to MAC. I will still switch to MAC but had to get a new pc quickly that is small and light with decent computing power. One of the computer guru's on the Belize trip showed me his new Acer which I thought was a netbook. In fact it was a full blown pc. Seems one of the ultra computer geeks in his office did all the research and bought the following acer computer here. HG aka ScubaBear got the same one and mine arrived today. The price at CDW was the best anywhere and after speaking to several people...windows7 is not to be feared like vista was. So you can wait until I get a chance to figure it all out but I wanted to share this. The size is perfect for me and lightweight and certainly more powerful then anything I've ever used. It was about $200 more than I wanted to spend but I think I will be happy. I am an xp user so not thrilled about the new learning curve...however they offer a tutorial on windows7 on the CDW site here (or look under the pic of the computer for the link as well) so hopefully that will help me in that arena. I hope this helps...kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#6 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:23 PM

Read that Kamala. Does the machine have a built-in optical drive? I can't see it mentioned and many machines of that size don't.

#7 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:24 PM

The only thing I upgraded was the memory. I maxed that out. You can get aftermarket memory at a much cheaper price than the apple stuff (around half price)

Where and how?

#8 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:57 AM

The only thing I upgraded was the memory. I maxed that out. You can get aftermarket memory at a much cheaper price than the apple stuff (around half price)

Where and how?

http://www.crucial.com/mac/index.aspx

http://www.mushkin.c...mory/Apple.aspx

http://www.memoryupg...expansions.html

these first two are places i have gotten good memory in the past at good prices. Especially mushkin who at one point had the highest performance timings (for the geeks DDR PC3200 2-2-2-12 native timing) in the business that alot of PC builders loved.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:15 AM

Read that Kamala. Does the machine have a built-in optical drive? I can't see it mentioned and many machines of that size don't.

Probably does not if not listed. Sorry. k

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#10 ScubaShafer

ScubaShafer

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT
  • Logged Dives:2460

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:47 AM

(2) Buy a Mac, which for what I want (the same sort of spec as above) will work out at around $1600-$1800. Around double. And I won't have any software for it.

Peter - Depending on the software you have, want, need/desire, converting from your PC base may be cost prohibitive. (Photoshop CS4 $699 and doesn't run 64 bit with Mac; Lightroom $299; and on and on can rack up the coin.)
It's a GR8 day to be alive!

"Good things come to those who wait." Heinz - 1980s
"Good things come to those who wait." Guinness - 1990s
"Good things come to those with weights." ScubaShafer - 2008

#11 Victoria

Victoria

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Board Status:Checking in when I can...
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:28...sad, I know....

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:57 AM

Peter, to address your fundamental "PC or Mac" quandary, particularly the reliability/stability element, I offer this:

I have used both Macs and PCs in heavy-use, graphics-intensive scenarios for a lot of years. I am not a programmer, nor particularly of the "hardware geek" persuasion. But I do have extensive experience experience on both platforms. I bought my first Macintosh in 1984 when they were first introduced, and owned Macs exclusively for the next 15 years. During that time I designed coffee-table books, using Photoshop, Illustrator, PageMaker and other applications...more often than not all open at the same time, with 20-30 high-resolution image files open on the desktop as well. My computer went for weeks (quite literally) without being shut down or rebooted, and the Mac never slowed, froze or hiccupped in any way. That unwavering stability remained a constant which overcame the price issues in my book. Via work and (recently) college I became "mainstreamed" and since about 1999 predominantly use(d) PCs of the Dell, HP and Sony variety (my current laptop being a VAIO). My experience with the PC platform has reinforced my respect for the Macintosh platform. In my current work environment I use Google Earth, SketchUp, Excel, Powerpoint, and other applications -- and absolutely MUST reboot daily...sometimes even a second time midday...in order to avoid slowdowns and freezes. I find that unacceptable, though deal with it I must.

Consistently, over the last 20-something years, Microsoft has pushed out patches and fixes, "new and improved" and "totally new/different" operating systems...but all they manage to do is minorly address some issues while simultaneously creating new ones... and never even coming close to achieving true stability. Case in point: Vista. 'Nuf said.

Over the same period of time, Apple has produced an unwavering series of better, faster, more powerful machines that are all backed up by a stellar operating system which does not fail, falter, or crash, through any fault of its own. The combination of superior hardware and Mac's pristine operating system, in my book, wins the "PC or Mac" quandary every single time and for every application.

Click here to email questions to the Angels & Charlies. Find out about Operation Care & Share here.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." -- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

"The right thing to do never requires any subterfuge, it is always simple and direct." -- Calvin Coolidge

#12 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:12 AM

If all my expensive softwares would run on a Mac, the decision would be a no-brainer. As Bruce said....changing platforms can be cost prohibitive when you're looking at replacing all the softwares as well.

I'm to the point where some of the softwares will not run on the next generation MS OS, though, and that's when I'll seriously consider changing to Mac. None of them would run on Vista....it will be interesting to see how many will run on Windows 7 without patching them left & right.
Posted Image

#13 ArtRunScuba

ArtRunScuba

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver. 18 liveaboards
  • Logged Dives:675

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:18 AM

I have also owned and used Macs consistently since 1984 when they first appeared. I am not a computer "geek" like many here. For a number of years in the 90s my employer provided an IBM think pad. Few people in the field used it for anything other than email and basic word processing because it was too difficult for them. Of course, the information tech people maintained power and the top folks in the organization covered their butts because the Windows environment was the accepted choice even with its proprietary junk. Then I also had to use a Dell laptop in an entrepreneurial effort in the early 90s, again because the others in the organization had them. That computer shut down forever very quickly.

The essence of it is that with the Mac, EASE OF USE PROMOTES USE. And dependability is far greater. Also, it is such a superior machine and indeed you can still run your Windows stuff on it or you can run Linux on it. :P

#14 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:45 AM

Of course, the information tech people maintained power and the top folks in the organization covered their butts because the Windows environment was the accepted choice even with its proprietary junk.

It's not as simple as IT having power... Does anyone know if Macs had the same tools available for IT folks when they first came out? If my memory serves me correctly (and that's iffy) there were tools we (IT) needed that were not available for use on the Mac. Then once a large company is ensconced in one flavor of software / hardware, it's EXTREMELY cost prohibitive to switch over. We're not just talking email, excel, and word here - most of us have a couple dozen applications on our pcs not to mention historical information and documentation that's held for audit purposes. For instance, in the home mortgage business - information has to be kept for the life of the loan plus eight years.

There's no competition for Mac - if you want one you go to Apple. If not there are several manufacturers you can play against each other when negotiating a corporate contract.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

• Guests

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:59 AM

Where and how?

I purchased mine from www.macmall.com a little over a year ago. They added another 2Gb of aftermarket memory for about $50 (installed) as part of a bundled purchase. It has the same specs as the Apple memory. They threw in the Parallels virtual Windows machine for free also (after the rebate) and sold me a brand new copy of XP at a reduced price. If you call them you can get a better price than they offer online but you may have to work at it, apparently they are on commission. They are kind of a hassle to deal with but you probably get the best Apple deals through them. And yes the warranty is good, I already used it on a faulty battery. That bad battery is the only problem I have had in 10 yrs and Apple took care of it with no problem. This is my third mac. The first one was my experiment and it had a screen that was too small so I upgraded to a powermac desktop with a 23" screen a few years later. That one was awesome but I needed a laptop so I bought the 15" macbook pro 13 months ago. I used it so much that I sold the desktop not too long ago. I do miss that screen though.

Also check Apple's refurb selection on their online store. You can get some killer deals there and they replace all the batteries with new PLUS provide a full one year warranty just like the new ones. My desktop was a refurb from Apple and it was a wonderful machine. I couldn't tell it wasn't new.

I agree with Victoria's and Rodney's statements as well. You get what you pay for with both a PC and a Mac.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users