• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Discussion Only: Maldives Nov 6-13, 2010 only $1795 or $1595

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
153 replies to this topic

#136 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Cert Level:Solo, EAN
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:26 PM

After 2 weeks of diving with the pelagics on the reefs of the Maldives, top off the trip with another 10 days of the finest muck diving in the world. Kamala has agreed to assist me in booking this, please join me for a unique diving opportunity.

I know TexasDiver aka Craig, and scubabjs aka Brian are interested in this add-on. Would anyone else like to join us???

Bill

I would also try to meet up with diver_runner_artcollector for another week or two (or more) of diving after Bill's extension!

#137 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:50 PM

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT UPDATE:

Due to the economic unrest in many parts of the world, some issues have arisen that may impact this trip. We are doing a full assessment and will have a final decision on Monday as to whether we will still be diving the Maldives or switching to another equally awesome venue. Under no circumstances will we go diving in an area of unrest and/or the possibility of problems for our group.

If more information arises over the weekend I will keep you apprised.

Regardless of our decision on Monday, IT WILL ONLY BE PREDICATED ON DIVING WHERE IT IS SAFE AND IF WE ARE CONFIDENT THAT WE'LL GET THE FULL LEVEL OF SERVICE AND AMENITIES THAT WE HAVE CONTRACTED FOR.

I am confidant that we'll have an acceptable outcome regardless. More on this as it is available. Kamala

p.s. I am asking one of our trip coordinators to send this message to everyone on the interested list. :thankyou:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#138 TRINITY

TRINITY

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Cert Level:Master
  • Logged Dives:1040

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:34 AM

Due to the economic unrest in many parts of the world, some issues have arisen that may impact this trip. We are doing a full assessment and will have a final decision on Monday as to whether we will still be diving the Maldives or switching to another equally awesome venue. Under no circumstances will we go diving in an area of unrest and/or the possibility of problems for our group.

Regardless of our decision on Monday, IT WILL ONLY BE PREDICATED ON DIVING WHERE IT IS SAFE AND IF WE ARE CONFIDENT THAT WE'LL GET THE FULL LEVEL OF SERVICE AND AMENITIES THAT WE HAVE CONTRACTED FOR.

I am confidant that we'll have an acceptable outcome regardless. More on this as it is available. Kamala

p.s. I am asking one of our trip coordinators to send this message to everyone on the interested list. :thankyou:

Hello Kamala! (How are you? :teeth: )

Yes, that part of the world does have its problems, sure glad there arent any here in the US :respect: . I'd be interested in joining.
Thanks! Terry

#139 secretsea18

secretsea18

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:37 PM

After doing a news Google search, I failed to find any unrest occurring in Maldives at this time. What have I missed about that part of the world????

Has the Gulf of Mexico oil slick reached Maldives?

#140 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 19 June 2010 - 03:51 PM

After doing a news Google search, I failed to find any unrest occurring in Maldives at this time. What have I missed about that part of the world????

Google: Hajj - this year scheduled to be between Nov. 14-18. This is just a guess, but possibly all the air from the Indo-Pacific has already been sold out.

Bill

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#141 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:00 PM

Google: Hajj - this year scheduled to be between Nov. 14-18. This is just a guess, but possibly all the air from the Indo-Pacific has already been sold out.

Bill

Hmmmm. I don't think the Hajj, which is in Saudi Arabia would cause unsafe conditions in Maldives. However you have a valid point with air.

#142 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:56 PM

I don't see either of these points as significant.

#143 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:50 AM

I don't see either of these points as significant.

In fact it it were the state department warning, then Mexico and Philippines would also be off limits as they are on the travel warnings list. But, Maldives and India are not.

Singapore and Thailand were also cited and placed upon the same list for "human trafficking" that Maldives was placed on. And Fiji and Malaysia were already on said list. In all these cases, visitors are not the ones at risk; the local population are the risk group.

#144 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:07 AM

I believe the point is simply that Kamala tries very hard to run safe, worry-free trips. I've been on 7 trips with her in the past 2 years, and typically more than half of the group (in Egypt, 18 out of 24!) are single females, many still young, healthy and attractive. It would only take one very unfortunate incident on one of her trips to 1) make Kamala feel guilty or responsible, and 2) possibly have adverse consequences on her dive business.

There are many places in the world to dive! If she cannot plan for & provide adequate safety for her group, she will likely switch venues. But let's wait & see what she decides, as she did state that she was doing a full assessment of the situation over the weekend.
Posted Image

#145 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:34 AM

I believe the point is simply that Kamala tries very hard to run safe, worry-free trips. I've been on 7 trips with her in the past 2 years, and typically more than half of the group (in Egypt, 18 out of 24!) are single females, many still young, healthy and attractive. It would only take one very unfortunate incident on one of her trips to 1) make Kamala feel guilty or responsible, and 2) possibly have adverse consequences on her dive business.

There are many places in the world to dive! If she cannot plan for & provide adequate safety for her group, she will likely switch venues. But let's wait & see what she decides, as she did state that she was doing a full assessment of the situation over the weekend.

The question is "what is the unsafe situation in Maldives"?

• Guests

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:16 AM

Kamala has stated that she has some concerns. She is the only one here that is talking to the actual people on site and she has the best information. No doubt it is far better than anything you will find printed. Nobody is out anything yet since the trip hasn't been posted and people posting their personal theories really is only adding conjecture. At least one of the posts clearly went over the no politics rule of the site and we really do not want to continue this trend. Tammy is right, please give Kamala time to say what she is thinking. She is on travel now and obviously does not have time to answer every question.

My fear is all the conjecture and guessing will only serve to make the trip harder to fill if it is does open. Please allow Kamala the time she needs. thanks

#147 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:46 AM

Tammy you are correct, this is Kamala's business and her decision to make.

The State Department report covers every country in the world, including the U.S.A. Essentially, there's nowhere in the world you can travel, which doesn't have some sort of human trafficking.

Life is full of risks, some we avoid, some we insure against, some we are ignorant of, and some we are willing to accept in order to live our lives to the fullest. Years ago my father tried to dissuade me from scuba diving, saying it was too dangerous. This was after he had taken up snow skiing at 62, then having to have both knees replaced 12 years later. Each of us made the decision to accept the risk, and were/are willing to accept the ultimate outcome. Just think how dull and boring our lives would be if we totally eliminated risk, it wouldn't be worth living.

My 2 psi.

Bill

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#148 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:13 AM

Tammy you are correct, this is Kamala's business and her decision to make.

The State Department report covers every country in the world, including the U.S.A. Essentially, there's nowhere in the world you can travel, which doesn't have some sort of human trafficking.

Life is full of risks, some we avoid, some we insure against, some we are ignorant of, and some we are willing to accept in order to live our lives to the fullest. Years ago my father tried to dissuade me from scuba diving, saying it was too dangerous. This was after he had taken up snow skiing at 62, then having to have both knees replaced 12 years later. Each of us made the decision to accept the risk, and were/are willing to accept the ultimate outcome. Just think how dull and boring our lives would be if we totally eliminated risk, it wouldn't be worth living.

My 2 psi.

Bill

While I agree with you regarding Maldives and SD, her post alluded to "security" problems, and made it sound like there was trouble in the country of the Maldives. I see no reason to keep that sort of information secret.

I think that it is altogether reasonable, if there are undisclosed, in global news, security and safety problems within the country of Maldives, that members of this site be made aware of them, in general. That would be helping all SD members know about world safety issues and increase all members safety.

#149 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:04 PM

Kamala is investigating thoroughly without propagating rumors or second-hand heresay. She is not keeping anything secret, she just wants all the information she can gather before going into detail here, and she is currently leading a dive trip which limits her free time to investigate. She said she would decide by Monday (or her usual sliding scale :P ) and I'm sure she will post her reasons behind whatever decision she makes. It may simply be that the resort or dive operator is being affected by something "economic" that threw up a red flag.

She posted the Update before her trip started so that anyone interested in the Maldives trip would know she was investigating, in case they were hearing anything from other sources.

Let's please put this discussion on hold until Kamala posts again. :thankyou:
Posted Image

#150 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:06 AM

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

First I am sorry that this thread has reached the pitch and tone that it has. That was not my intention. I am in the middle of leading one trip and when I posted this I was not and I am still not in a position to expound on my concerns that are being assessed as we speak regarding this trip. They were serious enough to warrant delaying the completion of the trip details and opening the booking process. If they are properly worked out to my satisfaction then they will be nothing more than a bump in the road. If they turn out to be more serious or can not be satisfactorily worked out then they will deter us from doing this trip at this time and we'll look to do it another time.

I will however not put anything in writing that I can not substantiate. There is one lawsuit in the diving community forums as a result of that practice. I will however take all the information available to me and use it wisely to determine if we will be doing this trip or not.

As noted by both Landlocked Dive Nut and Cmdr. Clownfish...there are MANY variables that go into planning a trip for our members some tangible and some not. ALL are valid and I would ONLY pull a trip if the circumstances warranted it; as I am disappointing a lot of people by doing so and I never want to do that. However I would disappoint far more by moving in a course of action that I felt was wrong even if I could not adequately explain to those interested my reasons for doing so. I will also not proceed with anything that does not provide me with the assurances we need that we'll get exactly what we contracted for.

I was told that I would have a full assessment of the situation today which due to timezones is probably our tonight. That being said I would hope to have our course of action decided by tomorrow at the latest.

Thank you for your patience in this matter. Kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users