• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Official Bonaire Trip Report

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Cert Level:Solo, EAN
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:44 PM

Video of The Big Monster Fish Rodney found today and no one came to see (after a lecture by Kamala at lunch on being sure to wait for other divers to come see your find!) is posted on YouTube.com here:

Instead of hunting up each individual link, simply go to YouTube.com and in the Search box type "down2biz" (without the quote marks) and a list of all my dive related videos will come up!

Edited by TexasDiver, 15 March 2010 - 09:42 PM.

#2 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:23 PM

Video of the Lionfish Craig found today is posted here:

The Denver Post newspaper published the link to this video in its article "Where to dive without sinking a lot of money" in its 2010-03-13 edition!

World News Network published the link to this video in an update to an MSNBC article "Bonaire, a divers paradise" 2010-03-12!

This is a surprise to me because the video is raw and none too good, you can hardly see the lionfish, you might not see it at all if you don't know what to look for!

Instead of hunting up each individual link, simply go to YouTube.com and in the Search box type "down2biz" (without the quote marks) and a list of all my dive related videos will come up!

Edited by TexasDiver, 15 March 2010 - 09:43 PM.

#3 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:42 PM

Video of the Lionfish Craig found today is posted here:

So, is there a bounty on thier fins in Bonaire?? Can you catch and kill??
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#4 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:20 AM

is there a bounty on thier fins in Bonaire?? Can you catch and kill??

Divers are asked to point out lionfish to the divemaster who makes note of the location and reports to a special task force of authorized "lionfish hunters."

#5 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:37 PM

Would love to hear how the trip has gone... :birthday:

#6 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:02 AM

Hi all!

I'm home again and catching up on the site, and here's my Trip Report:

Many of us arrived early Sat. am, with the rest straggling in Sat & Sun. Most rooms were not ready yet, so bags were left in the lobby area & we went through the dive orientation 9:30-ish. Paid our Marine Park fees, got our weights, and many jumped in for our checkout dive. Water temps were a steady 81 degrees all week by my computer, so I wore my dive skin & my 3mm shorty and was comfortable. Water was cool enough to wake me up after the redeye flight, for sure! :birthday: I went back out on the house reef (Calabas Reef) again after lunch with Clint (my dive buddy for the week), so he could get his checkout dive done. After that, my room was ready so I got settled in and headed for Club Chez Neal with my duty-free contribution.

The majority of us were on one boat, the Sunshine, all week. Sometimes divers would pack into their rental trucks and go shore diving elsewhere, which freed up some space on the boat for Bill R. and his students to join us. We had quite a few BIG camera rigs and a number of point & shoot cameras on the trip, so I expect plenty of pics to be posted soon! I'll look at mine and get some posted, hopefully today if the Gallery has been set up. Camera space was at a premium on the boat, and they added a second fresh water tub to the boat after the first day. After 3 boat dives each day, I did another dive on the house reef, so I spent plenty of time underwater. The boat gave us 60 minute bottom times all week, and didn't gripe if we went a bit over that.

The critters were varied and plentiful, and in all stages of maturity. When I scanned my pics, I noticed that I had 3 decent shots of the same fish, in juvenile, teenage & adult stages. :birthday: The short list of critters I got shots of: french, gray & queen angels, spotted trunkfish, cowfish, anemones, spotted drums, ghost filefish, trumpet fish, great barracuda, scorpion fish, multiple species of eels, tarpon, seahorses, arrow crabs, bearded clams, turtles, peacock flounders, frog fish, multiple varieties of parrot fish, banded butterfly fish, octopus, sergeant majors everywhere, fairy basslets, damselfish galore, slipper lobster cleaner shrimp and banded coral fish, hard & soft corals & gorgonians. I saw some bleaching of the coral, but not too bad. It's good to see both staghorn & elkhorn corals coming back.

The two dive op staff on our boat took turns leading dives, and both need to learn not to drag stuff out into the open just for us to see. Unfortunately, they all know Americans tip so they try to give us what we came to see however they can.

There was a cruise ship in port almost every day we were there, so town was busier than I've ever seen it. Our resort was just south of the Town Pier area, so some of those monster ships seemed to loom over everything. Fortunately, the ships all left in the late afternoon, so they were gone by the time we went to town for a meal.

The pier restaurant - can't remember the name, is now forever on my "don't go" list. The service was nearly non-existant -- I had to flag someone down and ask if we could get another beer while we waited - and waited - and waited for our meals to arrive. There were very few customers so not very busy, but they basically ignored us after taking our order. About an hour & 15 minutes later, we left. I had an ice cream cone for dinner that night. YUM!

Many hung out after the dive day at Club Chez Neal. Neal & Gary, thank you for opening up your patios and mini-fridges for the cause. Much discussion, laughter, music, and general getting to know each other better took place, along with a little dancing by a few. Next time, everybody hit duty-free and bring a contribution! I know for a fact that a few people kept the place stocked, and they deserve HUGE thanks.

The costume contest was on Thursday night after the group dinner, and as usual the laughter could be heard far & wide. The theme was "professions", and the imaginations & creativity was great. I'm sure pics will be posted. I came as a professional wrestler with the persona of "Seahorse Wrangler". I knew I could get more use out of that old wrestling singlet I had! :cool2: The cape, however, was new. :birthday:

Quite a few stayed an extra night, so if anything exciting happened on Saturday they'll have to add to the report.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable week. I got to catch up with some old friends, and I made some new ones, and oh yeah, the DIVING was easy & memorable. It's why I go back year after year.
Posted Image

• Guests

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:17 AM

Thanks Tammy, I am both happy and sad that I read this. I am happy because I almost felt like I was in Bonaire PLUS it was a good diversion from doing my taxes (I will refrain from breaking the TOS). I am sad because I am not in Bonaire and now I have to go back to my taxes.

GRUMBLE, GRUMBLE..... GRRRR....

Was that the restaurant at Divi? They had horrible service last year also.

I have a feeling next year I will go back to Bonaire though.

thanks for a great report.

#8 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,145 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:29 AM

:respect: Tam for another great trip report!

WW should simply stick you on every trip gratis as her designated reporter. Your thoughts? :P

Also thanks to Craig for his video clips, especially given they were posted near real-time. :-D Bravo!

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to the plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#9 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:48 AM

Was that the restaurant at Divi? They had horrible service last year also.

Nooo, no complaints on the resort restaurant. This is the one on the pier right across from the Harborside shopping area in town. I think it's called Karel's, or something like that. Maybe someone else who was in our group of 7 will remember the name....
Posted Image

#10 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:49 AM

:respect: Tam for another great trip report!
WW should simply stick you on every trip gratis as her designated reporter. Your thoughts? :-D

Well now, I wouldn't complain about that! :P The day job might, though......
Posted Image

#11 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:29 AM

Tammy,DITTO Great detail,almost felt as I was there.Posted ImagePosted Image
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#12 ramon1969

ramon1969

Getting started

• Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Cert Level:Open water
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:25 PM

Hi Tammy,

Thanks for the report, I'll cut- and paste it into my diary, saving time :respect:

You didn't miss much on Saturday - as we all found out, there's nothing to do on the island, so everybody just killed time.. I went snorkeling, some people got another car for a salt-seeing tour, and there was one final happy hour - sadly and weirdly not at Chez Neil's, but a very happy and reflective wrap-up nonetheless.

Very memorable trip, and I send you all many thanks for welcoming a rookie diver. I haven't dared step on the scale yet though - those cakes were sinful.

Ray aka "boy toy" (I wish).

#13 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:33 PM

Video of school supplies donation uploaded here: Select High Definition for best viewing!

Edited by TexasDiver, 15 March 2010 - 09:43 PM.

#14 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:20 PM

I clicked on the school supplies video link, and got a Sign In page.....but I don't get that when clicking on the previous two posted links earlier in this thread. ??????

I'm not giving YouTube any personal info!! I'll start getting all kinds of junk mail & marketing spyware!
Posted Image

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:38 PM

Hello from GSP!!!

Yes we made it but barely and even more amazingly our bags made it. All flights from Bonaire were delayed extensively. We landed in Houton with exactly 50 minutes to get off the plane, get our bags, get thru customs, recheck thru security and reach the plane. As we arrived they had just given our seats away and had to call the 2 standby passengers back from the jetway to allow us to take a seat. WHEW!!! Another minute or 2 and it would have been too late. :-D

But we not only made the flight but our bags made it too. Complements to CO and I'm not even status with them. They even served breafast and lunch on the plane and that was on the DOMESTIC flights. WOW! Who serves food anymore? And they only changed for the second bag. KUDOS!!!

In any event...we are almost home...still have a couple of hours of driving and we are tired but happy!

More later...and yes I'll even post some of the pics I took on my new and newly flooded camera as well as a few I took on Ray aka boy toy's camera!!! :respect:

Thanks to EVERYONE for a wonderful trip! I really let my hair down and relaxed...you all were great! kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users