• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2010-11: DISCUSSION ONLY (NOT SIGN UP THREAD)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
99 replies to this topic

#46 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:44 AM

TOURING INFO (that can be done in off times during the pkg or extend your stay to accommodate):

Land excursions

North Sulawesi is famous for its underwater world by travellers from all over the world.
There are some great activities beyond diving, which give you the opportunity to see amazing wildlife, beautiful scenery, friendly people, arts and cultures which will make your experience truly unforgettable.

With pleasure, our friendly staff at Kungkungan Bay Resort will guide you on any of the following land excursions.
Please find below our itineraries with a short description about the places that you will visit on a variety of trips:

Early-morning Bitung City trip
An early-morning trip where we show you around some local places in the city of Bitung.
This trip departs at 6AM and you will be back in the Resort by 8:00AM so you won’t have to miss the 1st dive!

Itinerary: Kungkungan Bay Resort * Bitung Fish Market/ Traditional Market * Primary school * Kungkungan Bay Resort.

*Bitung Fish Market*

Every morning, the local fishermen gather here to sell whatever they caught while they were out fishing all night to the hard bargaining wholesalers.

*Traditional Market*
Everything here starts early in the morning. Local women buying spices are amongst the many things you will see but the scenery is dominated by the bartering between sellers and buyers.

*Downtown Bitung*

We are going to visit a primary school and many of the children will be cheering as soon as you set foot inside the classroom. It is no problem to take pictures, in fact, the kids will love it!

*Buddhist Temple*
See some Chinese culture in a beautiful temple in Bitung. (No pictures allowed inside the temple)

*Bitung Harbour*

This is the most important harbour in North Sulawesi. This harbour connects people with other parts of Indonesia.

This trip costs US$ 40 per person and includes transportation and entrance fees
At some of the above sights it will be greatly appreciated to leave a small donation to help the local communities.
A minimum of 2 people is required for the trip and a cancellation fee for the daily rental of the car will apply

Minahasa Highland Tour

North Sulawesi has been known as ‘The Land of Smiling People’ and we will prove this to you while we show you around the highlands. Feel the cool mountain air far from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. We start this trip – where we visit a number of sights - at 8:00AM and the duration is about 9 to 10 hours.

Itinerary: Kungkungan Bay Resort * Sawangan * Sumaru Endo * Lake of Linau * Rurukan * Buddhist Temple * Gardenia Resort (Volcano view) * Kungkungan Bay Resort.

* Sawangan *

This place is an ancient Minahasan cemetery which has 144 very special graves called ‘Waruga’. Each Waruga tells its own story through beautiful decorations.

* Sumaru Endo *

A great place to view ‘Lake Tondano’. With the cool mountain air, you can view the hot spring.

* Lake of Linau *

Beautiful lake with 3 colours of water. In some places you will see natural gas escaping from the ground around the lake.

* Rurukan *
A high hill in the Tondano area with a stunning view where you can see Lake Tondano, Bitung City and even Lembeh Strait in the distance.

* Woloan *
This place in theTomohon area is where they actually make all the beautiful wooden traditional houses and you can see them lined up on the side of the road. It is even possible to have a look around inside.

* Buddhist Temple *

A Buddhist temple with a high tower (9 levels) which offers a beautiful view of ‘Lokon’ volcano. (No pictures allowed inside)

* Gardenia Resort *
Have a rest or you can take a walk around the gardens with a nice view of ‘Loko’ volcano in the background... After this we will be taking you back ‘home’ in Kungkungan Bay Resort...

This trip costs US$ 80 per person and includes transportation and entrance fees
At some of the above sights it will be greatly appreciated to leave a small donation to help the local communities.
A minimum of 2 people is required for the trip and a cancellation fee for the daily rental of the car will apply.

Manado City Trip

For those who like shopping, we will take you to the other side of North Sulawesi Island. You will visit a souvenir shop but we also have some other interesting places to show you. This trip takes around 6 – 7 hours.

Itinerary: Kungkungan Bay Resort * Kali Waterfall * Pineleng * Souvenir Center * Kungkungan Bay Resort*

* Kali Waterfall *

A waterfall with a clear pool at the bottom where you can take a refreshing dip while enjoying the beautiful surroundings.

*Pineleng*
From this view point you can take some nice scenic photos of Manado bay with Bunaken Island in the background

* Souvenir Shop *

In this shop you will be able to buy unique handicrafts and souvenirs to take home with you.

* Manado Buddhist Temple *
This is an old - and also the main - Buddhist temple in Manado City. No pictures inside please. (You might be asked to leave a small donation to the temple, so carry some small notes with you)

This trip costs US$ 60 per person and includes transportation entrance fees.
A minimum of 2 people is required for the trip and a cancellation fee for the daily rental of the car will apply

Tangkoko jungle tour

This tour is perfect to do on your last day when you are off-gassing for your flight back home on the following day, as we leave the resort at 1:30 PM - so you will still be able to do the 1st dive!!! - and you will be back at the resort around 7:00 PM.

On this trip we take you to Tangkoko Duasudara Nature Reserve where you can see a variety of wildlife.

One of the highlights of this trip is the nocturnal ‘Tarsier’ (Tarsius Spectrum), a tiny monkey, endemic to Northern Sulawesi. The total body length of this little creature is approx 10cm with a body weight of little over 100 grams.

With some luck you can even encounter Black Macaques - a larger monkey with no tail - , KusKus, Hornbills - the largest birds living in Tangkoko - and lots of other flora and fauna.

Wear long pants and sleeves and a pair of comfortable shoes with socks to avoid any mosquitos or ants. Our staff will bring bottled water, fruit and insect repellent for you.
You are going to a rainforest after all! 

This trip costs US$ 65 per person and includes transportation and all entrance fees.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#47 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:08 AM

PREMLIMINARY PRICING AND POSSIBLE SCHDULE (STILL BEING TWEAKED):

The dates are still a bit in flux and LA is now higher than SFO. Flights can be booked from any destination so you are in an 'end to end' ticket meaning all segments are visible. You will able to book your own fares to SFO if we go out of there or you can book directly with miles etc. We will have pricing for several options.

Currently the proposed pkg is as follows below. This is directly from the consolidator I am using so I can apply deposits paid to Maldives to this trip so bear with me as the format is quite different than the normal format for trip info on the site:

The package proposal 2-16Nov, to include:

-Singapore/Silkair combination to include all taxes from LAX or a bit cheaper if out of SFO (based on contract fares pending availability)

-2nts/days Singapore at Grand Copthorne Waterfront/tax/transfers 3-5Nov - LOOKING TO REVISE THIS DOWNWARD.

-5nts/4days Seasinde Santika Resort Mando, 5-10Nov dive package includes:

• 16 dives confirmed (4 dives a day)
  • twin occupancy Deluxe rooms with 2 beds for d/o ROH
  • including breakfast and dinner
  • airport transfers
  • 21% tax and service charge.

-5nts/4 days Kungkungan Bay package includes:

• beach front accommodation,
  • all meals,
  • 3 day-dives a day for 4 diving days,
  • Free internet
  • tax & service
  • Airport transfer between the hours of 8AM-5PM is complimentary. Surcharge applies to early or late transfers.

Exclusions:

park entrance fees,
other extras (drinks, equipment rentals, night-dives, land-excursions, massage service, telephone calls, laundry service)
and hotel return night 15Nov at Changi Airport Hotel payable on site, estimate $75/room.

Total package cost 2-16Nov from SFO $3925 to include all taxes subject to airfare availability/change (or $4175 with group block air LAX as of fare today SQ) , dives/air ( I am still needing confirmation Nitrox cost/availbilty ) and transfers, meals etc as noted.

Less airfare -$1300 = $2625 12nts land only. OR $3025 including air from/to Singpaore/Manodo 5-15Nov only..

Note 3-13Nov less 2nts/days KBR and 1nt Singapore would be less -$450 retail per person twin share =$3475 air inclusive, subject to availbilty of flights, SFO suggested.

Info Still Awaiting Replies On:

1. Cost of lunch in Manada and where to eat.
2. Pros & Cons of reducing inbound via Singapore to 'someplace we can sleep until the next flight' to maximize diving
3. Verification if 4 dives daily in Manado will be ok given no nitrox available. (May decrease to 3 dives a day and increase the dives in Lembeh to 4 per day)
4. Final air options via SFO vs LAX since they appear to be cheaper.
5. Have been advised that fares shown above will NOT have mileage credit so looking to see which fares will.
6. Cost of single room upgrade for those interested
7. Cost of tours (supplied via resort directly in Lembeh but awaiting info from Manado)
8. Other misc items

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#48 deb4diving

deb4diving

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / speciality certs
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:28 AM

Kamala,
I would like more time in Lembeh(macrophotography) than Manado if I have to choose, especially if I can not take 2 weeks off & have to do the shorter trip.
Thanks, Debra

Hey gang...a few things...

1. I have hard contracts and deposits for Palau in May 2011 and Truk in April 2011. That does not leave enough time to do another $3-4k trip in the summer. (Unless they sell out quickly and then I'll revisit this statement.)
2. I could arrange for a small group to go as we will have a full time person onboard in the next couple of months to handle those bookings.
3. Actually this whole process has been a nightmare and I am blessed this group has been so patient. I finally have the lions share of the info I need to get this trip out there and hopefully sell enough spots to cover my minimum commitment.
4. Our plan was to do both resorts to experience both types of diving. So unless you can stay 10 to 12 days or so one resort will be shorter than the other. The longer version is currently 1-2 nts in Singapore, 5 nites and 4 days in the Manado and 5 nites 4 days in Lembeh. The schedule was set up this way for flights as well as the overall tone in the thread that not everyone would be excited about 'muck' diving. The shorter pkg is looking to be 1 nite Singapore, 5 nites 4 days diving Manado and 3 nites 2 days diving Lembeh.

I can not make both ends of the pkg variable. Only one end can be variable. I am still trying to lock in the best flight options with min inbound time and maximum time diving. That should be finalized later today. IF YOU THINK MANADO SHOULD BE THE VARIABLE PART THEN SPEAK NOW OR FOREVER HOLD YOU PEACE AS I MAY OR MAY NOT BE ABLE TO CHANGE IT BUT AFTER TODAY I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO CHANGE IT.

Again approx pricing with airfare from CA is $3300-ish for shorter trip and $3900-ish for longer trip. The Singapore pricing is about $1300 and you have the local flights on top of that plus the pkgs. kamala

#49 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:32 AM

For those interested ONLY in the shorter trip...do you want the most days in Manado or Lembeh?

Manado Longer:

Lembeh Longer:

1. Deb4diving

formerly...

#50 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:17 AM

2. Pros & Cons of reducing inbound via Singapore to 'someplace we can sleep until the next flight' to maximize diving
3. Verification if 4 dives daily in Manado will be ok given no nitrox available. (May decrease to 3 dives a day and increase the dives in Lembeh to 4 per day)

I would opt for the reduced time / expense in Singapore.

I would opt for the 4 dives in Manado as is scheduled. KBR has a resort reef with unlimited shore diving, if I recall correctly from my reading. Ed

#51 secretsea18

secretsea18

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:31 AM

I would opt for the reduced time / expense in Singapore.

I would opt for the 4 dives in Manado as is scheduled. KBR has a resort reef with unlimited shore diving, if I recall correctly from my reading. Ed

Hey Everyone,

You have to sort-of "overnight" in Singapore because of the Silkair SIN-MDC (Manado) flights times. They only fly on M, W, F, Sat. They leave SIN-MDC at 9:25am, MDC-SIN is at 1:25pm. Also be aware this Silkair flight is rather expensive, cause if you want to get to Manado in a reasonable time without lots of connections, you must take these flights.

Almost all US flights into SIN arrive at night or too late in the morning to connect, and the same is for the flights leaving back to the US are in the mornings. The Silkair flights do not connect well with the inbound and outbound. No doubt, this is what Kamala is considering.

So you are left with connection times like 7 1/2 hours or 15 hours type things. Not enough to really do anything (especially when at nite) or even to actually: do immigration + customs, get to a hotel, check in, sleep, shower, transfer back to Changi, check in, do immigration + security, then do gate side security again. If you consider going straight through, then consider the basic but convenient airside "Ambassador Transit hotel" at Changi. You do need reservations for it, pay on check out.

Have fun.
Robin

Edited by secretsea18, 12 July 2010 - 10:32 AM.

#52 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:55 AM

IMPORTANT AIR ROUTINGS AND GROUP FLIGHT OPTIONS:

We are MINIMIZING time in Singapore to sleeping only. (The return will allow you flexibility to explore/shop if you want.) These are the flights we are using as they are filling up and we need to block them. I have blocked 16 spots and these spots will allow us to vary the return...add on to the return for those staying even longer than our planned jaunt or return earlier for those who can not stay the full 5 nites and 4 days of diving at each resort. I have also looked at the various flight options and here is what we will be able to offer.

Pricing: Final contract pricing is $1425 for the flight from San Francisco to Singapore and Singapore to Manado. We have requested a fare rate that will include miles for those who wish to have mileage credit estimated to be $175 to $200 more. NOTE: Pay in full by Aug 26th to get $100 off the airfare!!!

SIN = Singapore
MDC = Manado

Outbound:
1 SQ 15N 03NOV W SFOSIN SS1 145P 115A 05NOV -sleep airport and connect AM to;

2 MI 274Q 05NOV F SINMDC SS1 925A 105P /

Return:
3 MI 273Q 15NOV M MDCSIN SS1 150P 505P /

4 SQ 16N 16NOV T SINSFO LL1 920A 1115A /

This flight allows you time to arrive in CA that morning and time to depart effectively on the return to almost any destination.

NOTE: we can also set your flight for departing the 17th and arriving US the 17th. This will allow a full day for tours. Is this a better option for everyone???

IMPORTANT DATE AND FLIGHT AND PACKAGE OPTIONS:

Option ONE the LONGER Option:

Depart Nov 3 arrive Nov 5 due to int'l dateline and sleep in Singapore depart Manado until later am Nov 5. Arrive Manado Nov 5 stay 5 nites and dive 4 days 4 boat dives Manado then 5 nites 4 days 3 boat dives + unlimited shore diving Lembeh.

Can depart Nov 15 arrive US Nov 16
or
Can depart Nov 16 arrive US Nov 16

Option TWO the SHORTEST Option:

Depart Nov 3 arrive Nov 5 due to int'l dateline and sleep in Singapore depart Manado until later am Nov 5. Arrive Manado Nov 5 stay 5 nites and dive 4 days 4 boat dives Manado then 3 nites 2 days 3 boat dives + unlimited shore diving Lembeh.

Earliest can depart Nov 13 arrive US Nov 14

SO THERE IS NO TRUE WEEK OPTION IT HAS TO BE ABOUT 11 DAYS.

formerly...

#53 Lady Liz

Lady Liz

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Board Status:do not delete any message
  • Cert Level:Advanced & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:23 AM

I am interested in the longer trip. I have never been Muck Diving, and definitely want to experience that as well as the more traditional reef diving. Too far to go for me to not try and see it all. I am also looking into a side trip option. http://www.manadosaf...rs_tangkoko.php
I am waiting on feedback from a few places that I sent an info request in to. From what I have seen, there are different options available. A morning trip to the park to see the wildlife and surroundings, the evening trip to see the monkeys and try to see the Tarsier Spectrum after dark, and the overnight option. Please let me know if anyone else would have an interest in something like this.

Ed

I am interested in the longer trip too. What is the Tarsier Spectrum? Lady Liz

Hello Liz,

From my researching online, this is what I have found. Tours are offered through the resorts. The most popular tour is about 6-8 hours long, leaving in the afternoon, and the tour last until after dark, when the Tarsier Spectrum comes out of hiding. Posted Image
It is the worlds smallest primate. It is a trek into the jungle, so there are monkeys, birds plants, etc.....to be seen along the way as well. Kamala should be posting some pricing options for this if people are interested. As Robin mentioned, the last day of diving has a couple of morning dives, and most people do this tour that afternoon / evening, prior to their flight home the next day. Of course, we will need to see if our schedule has us flying home from here, or transfering to the next dive location. That may effect some scheduling. Ed

Thanks Ed, I will certainly go see that cute fellow! Liz
Formerly 'Liz' but wow 'Lady Liz' thanks to Stephane & Galapagos!

#54 Lady Liz

Lady Liz

• PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:30 AM

Thanks Robyn...that is EXACTLY what I locked in last night. We are MINIMIZING time in Singapore to sleeping only. (The return will allow you flexibility to explore/shop if you want.) These are the flights we are using as they are filling up and we need to block them. I have blocked 16 spots and these spots will allow us to vary the return...add on to the return for those staying even longer than our planned jaunt or return earlier for those who can not stay the full 5 nites and 4 days of diving at each resort. I have also looked at the various flight options and here is what we will be able to offer.

Pricing: I will have the final contract pricing later today as we have requested a fare rate that will include miles for those who wish to have mileage credit. However for planning purposes assume $1300 for all flights to and from Manado.

SIN = Singapore
MDC = Manado

Outbound:
1 SQ 15N 03NOV W SFOSIN SS1 145P 115A 05NOV -sleep airport and connect AM to;

2 MI 274Q 05NOV F SINMDC SS1 925A 105P /

Return:

This flight allows you time to arrive in CA that morning and time to depart effectively on the return to almost any destination.

NOTE: we can set the group flight up for departing the 16th and arriving US the 17th. This will allow a full day for tours. Is this a better option for everyone???

Depart Nov 3 arrive Nov 5 due to int'l dateline and sleep in Singapore depart Manado until later am Nov 5. Arrive Manado Nov 5 stay 5 nites and dive 4 days 4 boat dives Manado then 5 nites 4 days 3 boat dives + unlimited shore diving Lembeh.

or
Can depart Nov 16 arrive US Nov 17

Depart Nov 3 arrive Nov 5 due to int'l dateline and sleep in Singapore depart Manado until later am Nov 5. Arrive Manado Nov 5 stay 5 nites and dive 4 days 4 boat dives Manado then 3 nites 2 days 3 boat dives + unlimited shore diving Lembeh.

For the resorts I would like to stay in both places for the whole time.For the return 16 or 17th is OK as long as we go back to LA.
Lady Liz

#55 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:02 PM

SIN = Singapore
MDC = Manado

Return:

NOTE: we can set the group flight up for departing the 16th and arriving US the 17th. This will allow a full day for tours. Is this a better option for everyone???

or
Can depart Nov 16 arrive US Nov 17

Kamala -

1) I prefer the 'long' option, but would opt for diving the morning of Nov 14, instead of a tour.

2) I think you're showing me twice on the 'interested list'

3) Please confirm the return arrival date SIN >>> SFO/LAX, I believe the arrival in USA is the same day as the departure from SIN (getting back the day lost crossing IDL flying SFO/SIN)

Bill

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#56 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:55 PM

Hey gang the pricing in and out of LAX has increased so we are looking at San Francisco. You do not have to be part of the contract OR we can just route you via LAX Liz.

Bill I will confirm time into US. Thank you! k

formerly...

#57 Lady Liz

Lady Liz

• PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:45 AM

Hey gang the pricing in and out of LAX has increased so we are looking at San Francisco. You do not have to be part of the contract OR we can just route you via LAX Liz.

Thanks Kamala but I want to be with the group so just route me via LAX.I will be staying with my daughter a few days before the trip and a week after! Liz

#58 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:52 AM

Thanks Kamala but I want to be with the group so just route me via LAX.I will be staying with my daughter a few days before the trip and a week after! Liz

Great Liz we will do that! I'll get specific dates for your intineray once I get the trip opened up later today!

formerly...

#59 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:52 AM

CLARIFICATION ON THE RETURN: It is return 16th arrive US 16th or return 17th arrive US 17th. Sorry for the confusion. So we'll set the group contract up for the 16th but you can extend to the 17th. Kamala

formerly...

#60 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:56 AM

A ray of possible nitrox hope...

We can't get our hopes up yet BUT...all the talk back and forth about nitrox at Manado has the operator looking at the possibility of trying to either offer it by Nov or get it elsewhere. Its still VERY PRELIMINARY but she wants to know how many divers WANT NITROX.

So pls let us know if you would dive nitrox if it were available. Our plan is set for 4 boat dives a day in Manado! We'll keep this list updated in the first post!

DIVERS WANTING NITROX FOR MANADO:

1. Kamala aka WreckWench

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users