• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2010-11: DISCUSSION ONLY (NOT SIGN UP THREAD)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
99 replies to this topic

#76 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:27 AM

Singapore Air is part of the STAR ALLIANCE.

US partners include:

CO
USAir
United

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#77 scubabjs

scubabjs

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:57 AM

We would never lock anyone in without having them approve the fare first. The add-on's are reasonable but not always the cheapest. The biggest advantage is your bags know their ultimate destination is Manado vs say SFO or LAX and you can check them all the way thru so you don't have to retrieve them in CA and of course you get the int'l limits on the local flights. :D

This is a really... really good point cheaper Asia airlines have lower weight restrictions on baggage.

What is my allowance for checked baggage?
Weight concept

Weight allowances for checked baggage are as follows:

Business Class, 30 kg (66 lb)
Economy Class, 20 kg (44 lb)

Occupational safety rules require that the checked baggage weight for passengers travelling to/from Australia, Brunei, New Zealand, South Africa, Sri Lanka, United Arab Emirates and the United Kingdom does not exceed 32 kg (70 lb) per piece. Any bags weighing more than 32 kg (70 lb) must be broken down such that each piece weighs less than 32 kg (70 lb).

Passengers are required to re-pack their baggage if the baggage weight exceeds the above-stipulated limitation per piece. It should be noted that this 'physical' baggage weight limitation is an issue relating to Occupational Health Safety and is not related to baggage allowance and charges, which is a separate subject matter. Passengers with excess baggage beyond their checked baggage allowance will be levied with excess baggage charges.

Solitaire PPS and PPS members are entitled to double the free baggage allowance for the respective class of travel. KrisFlyer Gold members are entitled to an additional 20 kg (44 lb) of free baggage for the respective class of travel.

Infants are entitled to 10 kg of checked baggage plus either one fully collapsible stroller/pushchair or carrycot or Infant's car seat. Infant food may be carried as hand-luggage for the infant's consumption on board.

A 10 kg excess baggage allowance is extended for customers with diving equipment travelling to Cebu, Davao, Langkawi, Lombok, Phuket and Manado.

Note: customers travelling to/from USA/Canada regions on the same ticket will have these baggage allowances applied at all points in the itinerary. Excess baggage will continue to be levied on a per-piece basis.

Edited by scubabjs, 16 July 2010 - 12:02 PM.

So, if my computer is flashing 212 .. 212 .. 212 does that mean I can't go any deeper?

#78 deb4diving

deb4diving

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / speciality certs

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:03 PM

Kamala,
I want the contract rate. Are we leaving out of LAX or the other place discussed-I like San Fran. Thanks, Debra

#79 Muktuk

Muktuk

Getting started

• Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW,Nitrox,GUE fundies, GUE Rec 2
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:13 PM

Please put me on the interested list for the Indonesia trip. I have secured time off in November and look forward to joining the group.
I'm on for diving Nitrox if available.
I'd like to burn up some frequent flyer miles as far as Singapore on this trip.
See you in the muck.
-Muktuk

#80 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:54 PM

Singapore Air is part of the STAR ALLIANCE.

US partners include:

CO
USAir
United

Dont forget http://www.staralliance.com

Thai
Asiana
Air New Zealand
Air Canada
Lufthansa

Just a few more options.

Edited by Scubatooth, 16 July 2010 - 10:54 PM.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#81 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:29 AM

Thank you all for your 'thinking out loud'. I have been promised the contract rate and details will be finalized by today. We are setting it up out of SFO (San Francisco)

Please keep any input coming!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#82 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:50 PM

IMPORTANT BAGGAGE LIMITATION UPDATES:

Our flights are NOT considered economy therefore not as restricted as Brian found. And there is a plus for anyone flying out of SFO you will get (2) 70lb bags. And if you CAN book a thru way ticket using our consolidator...meaning the whole ticket is booked on one record...you may qualify for (2) 70lb bags as many carriers will honor the int'l limits. Otherwise you will get (2) 50# bags. Another advantage is we can help you avoid any domestic bag charges from your originating city to SFO.

formerly...

#83 Going Postal

Going Postal

People are starting to get to know me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Board Status:online
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:23 PM

I'm still not sure if I will be able to go or not, but can we get miles for the contract air?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow - What a ride!'"

#84 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:55 PM

I'm still not sure if I will be able to go or not, but can we get miles for the contract air?

I sure hope you can join us. ;)

The super duper low fare we got does not include credit for miles BUT we will have an add-on price so that if you want them they will count. Right now we are *thinking* it will be about $175 - $200 more for the ticket to have miles. I will probably pay it as I am now converting to Star Alliance from One World. Star alliance allows you to channel most of the domestic carriers into one of them i.e. all my USAir and United miles into Continental for example as well as so many int'l carriers like Singapore Air etc....:dancing:

formerly...

#85 divengolf

divengolf

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech + Rescue + Solo; 500+ dives; Mostly Photo.

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:08 PM

Kamala,

Please put me on the Very Interested list. I'd need add-ons for departure from either ORF, RIC or IAD. I'd come back from Singapore on the earlier date-16th?. And I'd use Nitrox at the place that is looking into getting it-Mondo?

I'm up for max. dives and a quick turnaround in Singapore. Also if you decide to extend the trip for a few more days of diving, I'll go for that.

I was planning to do the Nai'a when the Maldives trip fell through, but this looks too good to pass up.

But I'll miss Chez Neal!!

Harry aka divengolf

PS> I thought I was a premier member-what happened??

Edited by divengolf, 17 July 2010 - 07:10 PM.

#86 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:16 PM

Great Harry! We will get you on the list. I FINALLY have the balance of the info I need so trying to build the trip posting to open up tomorrow. If I can pump enough caffeine I will work most of the night otherwise crash and hit it hard tomorrow. IT WILL OPEN TOMORROW NO MATTER WHAT!!! :dancing:

p.s. we'll miss you at chez neil but this is a great deal...if it doesn't kill me first! LOL!

formerly...

#87 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:55 PM

Harry it expired in June:

divengolf
Premier Member
24-June 09
24-June 10

Go into your CP (control panel) and click on Purchase Paid Subscriptions under Options. Choose POST/POSTAL to indicate you are sending a check and then click on the Payment Gateway link in my signature and pay via the PG or you can use paypal. Soon we hope the coding can be changed to link you to the Payment Gateway!

In the meantime let me know if you have already sent payment and we'll track it down. Thank you! kamala

formerly...

#88 secretsea18

secretsea18

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:11 PM

Yesterday I flew Silkair SIN-MDC to Manado.

Some comments. Flight is 3 1/2 hours in a A320 plane. After entering the airport there is security screening at the gate. If you overnight at the Transit hotel .... be certain to have a reservation! I can not stress this enough, as there were people turned away when I was checking in for my room at the Transit Hotel. The Transit Hotel is nothing special, but a decent enough bed and shower, and do spring for the $$ for the ensuite room, vs the Budget room, unless there are no standard rooms, then take whatever they have!

After boarding the plane, we had a nice flight (but full) to Manado. The FAs block the aisle untill the entire Business cabin is deplaned before opening the curtain. We were served a "light meal" not breakfast on this morning flight. Chicken or fish. I took the chicken. It was OK, but nothing special. Bring a book, there is no IFE. As I am *Gold on United, I was allowed to board at my convenience, but it was very civilized and we left on time.

We got a jetway at MDC! Yeah! No steps!

OK the process at MDC has improved since my last visit. After entering the terminal at the jetway, there is a line to pay for your "Visa on arrival" $25, fresh new bills expedites the line. The idiot Aussie ahead of me did not have the correct change and took 5X the time I did.. grrrr..... Then you take the receipt for visa inside to "Immigration" where they glue the visa (entire blank page needed) into your passport. You need one entirely empty page for the visa and another for the stamps for entry and exit. The you go down ..... an escalator.... (this is entirely new) to the immigration officer who stamps your passport. Immediately after there is an xray belt for "customs" to inspect your carryons. They did not open up any of my three carryons (backpack, camera bag, and camera/housing rollaboard). Wait for you check in luggage, hand your luggage tags to customs officer and then out the door.

Wow it was fast and nice, with slight air-con in most of the places, cause it is really hot out here in Manado right now.

Tomorrow I am flying MDC- KAZ (Tobelo, Halmahera Indonesia) and will board the liveaboard. The boat itinerary is Halmahera-Bitung Sulawesi, then debark over to Lembeh Resort for two days of the finest muck this side of the Philippine Sea!

I broke down and brought a pint of Bacardi 151 with me. No mention or questions about booze whatsoever. Some people did have their bags opened up at the customs station. I believe you are allowed one liter per person, but would recommend looking at Indonesia duty-free allowances on their websites.

I am currently staying at Cocotinos Resort. Rooms are nice, spacious, grounds kept well maintained. Free internet access for guests. Food is expensive and tasty, however really expensive, and I had one happy hour drink yesterday -- 96,000rupiah.... as expensive as in NYC! No more drinks for me.

As for the SFO-INC-SIN flight, it is a long flight. There were lots of kids, including the brattiest 3 year old sitting in the row behind. I paid the extra $50 for seat 31H exit row for the preferred seat. The two guys sitting next to me in the row did not pay, but took a big chance as they got assigned at the airport.

Unless you purchase your Singapore Airlines ticket on Singaporeair.com you will not be allowed an advance seat assignment, nor will you be able to check in online. :) So if connecting in from another flight, your bags can be interline checked through all the way to MDC, but you will not have a seat assignment nor a boarding pass at your first airport. Travel agents also can't get seats assigned, as I tried/begged my dive travel agent to do this for me, and it was not possible. I called SA customer service and still no dice. So that was why I forked over the $50 for the assigned aisle exit row seat. Excellent leg room in Row 31. If you are *Gold, then you can go into the Singapore Air lounge and the agent at the desk will do your checkin and transfer the baggage tag numbers into your SA file, and so I was issued my BP for all the way from SFO to MDC at the lounge in SFO. If you are not *Gold, then you will need to exit the secure area in SFO and go to the SA ticket counter to do the checking process, then re-enter through TSA into airside. The KrisFlyer lounge is very nice, BTW for those with the credentials to enter. ;)

Airplane Food was OK, but I would have purchased a sandwich in SFO and enjoyed my meal better. J class was esssentially empty SFO-Korea but entirely filled up Korea-SIN. I guess that says were the $$$ are now, as those F and J seats are never discounted.

Will be diving tomorrow! :dancing:

Time to top off the batteries! Have a nice July everyone.

Robin

Edited by secretsea18, 17 July 2010 - 09:24 PM.

#89 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for the great input Robyn. Have a great trip! k

formerly...

#90 divengolf

divengolf

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech + Rescue + Solo; 500+ dives; Mostly Photo.

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:26 PM

Harry it expired in June:

divengolf
Premier Member
24-June 09
24-June 10

Go into your CP (control panel) and click on Purchase Paid Subscriptions under Options. Choose POST/POSTAL to indicate you are sending a check and then click on the Payment Gateway link in my signature and pay via the PG or you can use paypal. Soon we hope the coding can be changed to link you to the Payment Gateway!

In the meantime let me know if you have already sent payment and we'll track it down. Thank you! kamala

Done via PayPal.

Now where is the trip???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users