• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Going to be offline for a while

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:16 PM

I know i haven' t been on the board much, let alone diving but that has mainly been due to a medical problem i have been dealing with for 9 months now. This all started back in the middle of January I was working my normal shift (I'm a paramedic, for those that don't know) when while lifting a patient they shifted there position on the stretcher suddenly throwing my balance off as i was the low person on the lift. I tried to correct to keep from dropping the patient and that's when i felt and heard a very loud pop in my back, that was followed shortly by some intense pain. Which in talking with my doctor and surgeon there surprised I didnt pass out, which says alot about my pain tolerance.

Initially in the ER i was diagnosed with a muscle strain/sprain for which the typical treatment pain medication. Which is what the ER staff did with 25mg of Valium, 4mg of Zofran, 5mg of morphine, and 1mg of Dilaudid, it took the edge off the pain but didn't totally take it away. Ultimately I was diagnosed with a torn, compressed, and herniated disc at L5-S1 level (This is the lowest disc in the back). The tear in the disc was right over a nerve as it exit the spine that goes down my left leg. So not only do i have pain in my back at the sight of the injury but i also have it going down my left leg, which feels like someone has lit my thigh on fire and causes my foot to go numb or tingle from time to time.

Well since that night I have had the pleasure of dealing with the workman's compensation system </dripping sarcasm> since this was a job related injury. It has been a long road that has been full of twists, and turns that come straight out of a soap opera, as well as a lot of pain. Fortunately after a initial rough start I finally got a doctor and surgeon that have gone to bat for me and gotten me the care i have need. The conventional conservative treatments of MRI, nerve conduction studies, physical therapy, and steroid injections failed to provide any substantial relief, and I was referred to a surgeon with in the Texas Back group for surgery.

To make a long story short, my surgery is scheduled for Wednesday the 22nd in the late morning and will be in the hospital 1-2 days after-ward's. So any thoughts, vibes, prayers, etc would be appreciated as even though I have alot of confidence in the abilities of my doctor and surgeon, but i would be a liar if i didnt admit i was a bit nervous going into this.

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#2 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:36 AM

Thoughts and prayers for a positive outcome and speedy recovery!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#3 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:54 AM

We're behind you, Dan, pulling out all the stops to hope/wish/pray for your full recovery & return to diving.
Posted Image

#4 cat fish

cat fish

"Atocha Queen"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • Board Status:online
  • Cert Level:15+ years diving. Rec -Tek-Cavern
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:01 AM

Dan... hang in there, buddy! This surgery offers the chance for wellness once again. I am sorry you had to deal with the pain and discomfort for so long. We will all send warm thoughts your way on Wed!! cat fish

#5 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:35 AM

What Abattoir are you staying at? I'm actually in town this week, and will try to come by with whatever the staff says you can't have....
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#6 little mermaid

little mermaid

I need to get a life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,761 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 400

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:41 AM

Dan, Good luck to you and thoughts/prayers for a speedy recovery so you can GET WET soon!
Kathy :banghead:

Edited by little mermaid, 19 September 2010 - 10:41 AM.

#7 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:55 AM

What Abattoir are you staying at? I'm actually in town this week, and will try to come by with whatever the staff says you can't have....

It will be at the Presby Plano center for diagnostic and surgery (PPCDS) which is next door to Presby Plano and from what I hear they only have 18 patients admitted at anytime and the staff to patient ratio is almost 2:1. I will be listed where they can say if I'm in the hospital or not so you can call me that way or on my cell to get ahold of me.

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,629 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:40 AM

Hey guy you know how I feel...and I'm glad we got you started on the extracts as they will arrive to assist with your recovery. Start the other aspects of the program as we discussed to prep for the surgery.

And know that I like many others will keep you in our prayers! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#9 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:40 PM

Dan, there will be prayers for you from out this way for your full recovery and the opportunity to blow bubbles in your near future!

#10 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:43 PM

Dan, good luck, we're all praying for your rapid recovery and return to diving.

Bill

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#11 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:58 AM

Well time has come and I'm headed to the hospital. I'll try to check in here or facebook afterwards, but beware they maybe drug haze induced ramblings.

I'll catch you all on the flipside.

Dan

#12 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:28 AM

No fear, Dan! You'll do fine.

But can we get advanced permission from you to moderate your drunk texting I mean anesthesia posting? :thankyou: ;)
Posted Image

#13 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:38 AM

No fear, Dan! You'll do fine.

But can we get advanced permission from you to moderate your drunk texting I mean anesthesia posting? :thankyou: ;)

Sure why not.

#14 Guest_Sea Urchin_*

Guest_Sea Urchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:26 AM

Presby Plano took care of me pretty well after my surgery. It's also just around the corner from my house. I'll bring you something for the constipation from the medicine.

Take care, sweetie!

#15 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:20 PM

I'm out of surgery in in a room trying to get comfortable and getting pain under control. I'll try and put out up dates as I can. Nit you have my email, phone number facebook you can get ahold if me there.

Que I haven't had problems like that but thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users