• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2011-03: .Bonaire 4th Annual Single's Week! March 5-12 or 6-13, 2011

• Please log in to reply
324 replies to this topic

#301 rkymtwy

rkymtwy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:06 AM

I'm bring a few things, most likely a mix of some school supplies and life supplies.

#302 rkymtwy

rkymtwy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:17 AM

I have a question about luggage traveling to Bonaire. A couple of us are having to fly to Atlanta on Friday and spend the night to catch the Saturday flight to Bonaire.

I'm questioning what to do with my luggage(I do have a luggage nightmare story).

Would you check it through and let it set for hours somewhere in the Atlanta airport and hope it is safe and gets on the flight the next day or would you check it only to Atlanta, lug it to the hotel, possibly pay double for checked bag fees?

#303 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,678 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:12 PM

Denver is a major airport so I would ask the gal when you check in what she suggests. Check it all the way thru or collect and retrieve and definitely pay more luggage fees since its now considered 2 flights.

Be prepared for whatever option she gives you but follow their advice.

If it were me I would lean towards sending it thru to Bonaire and just having a chg of clothes with me.

Others may feel differently. Good question...but one I think will be hard to answer either way.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#304 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:30 PM

If you elect to check it all the way through (which should be OK but stuff happens....) you should make sure when you get to ATL that you find out a direct phone number for their desk that handles lost luggage. That way, if your gear does not arrive, you have a way to contact them to try to locate & expedite delivery to you.

Many of us will have a spare this-or-that we can loan you in a worst-case scenario, and you can always rent a BC. Anything you absolutely MUST have, put it in your carryon!
Posted Image

#305 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,678 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:40 PM

I'm bring a few things, most likely a mix of some school supplies and life supplies.

:thankyou:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#306 rkymtwy

rkymtwy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:53 PM

Cold here today so I'm getting excited about the trip. I just checked the long range forecast for Bonaire and it shows Rain :-D and more Rain :(

For those that have been there before please tell me this means occasional showers, and not lots of rain.....

#307 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:32 PM

Your post had me doing a few searches as well. It looks like March is usually a fairly dry month, with average monthly rain of less than one inch. Another search compared the percentage of sun versus the amount of daylight hours. The numbers for the next 10 days seem to be between 70 and 85% sun, with one day listed as 0%. I assume that is an error. Long range forcasts usually lack a lot of accuracy, so I would not be too worried about a forcast for some rain right now. I expect a great trip.

Cold here today so I'm getting excited about the trip. I just checked the long range forecast for Bonaire and it shows Rain :-D and more Rain :(

For those that have been there before please tell me this means occasional showers, and not lots of rain.....

#308 Seahorsewrangler

Seahorsewrangler

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW - NITROX
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:11 PM

Bonaire has been compared to New Mexico..lots of Cactus and shrubbery.. not much on trees. The places to shore dive were pebbly with the more popular ones better maintained. The island is relatively flat - for the most part- and the main roads are nice blacktop. Most boat dives were to Klien island as most everything else is reached from shore..including the HOOKER which I think is about 100 yds from shore.

My 2 PSI
AKA Cap'n Sam Roughknuckles The Bernese mountain dog

#309 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:16 PM

The past 2 years I've been in Bonaire this same week in March, and never had anything more than a sprinkle that lasted a couple of minutes....and that is considered rain in Bonaire. This island is DRY....the native plants are scrub brush and cactus. There are no native trees, and those that are planted on the island have to be watered by the landowner. There are typically clouds in the sky....probably on their way to Venezuela to rain on the mainland!

Most of our boat dives will be on sites that you CAN dive from shore, if you wish, with the exception of the one or two dives we will do on Klein Bonaire. The shore dive entries can be tricky, as the island does not have sand beaches. They are ironshore, which can turn an ankle if you're not careful. If you plan to rent a truck and do some shore diving after our daily boat dives are done, I recommend that you carry your BC/tank into the water, inflate the BC and tow it (with your fins on top) into water that is hip or waist deep before donning it.. That will enable you to balance yourself better on the ironshore in the shallows. As Jeff said, just kick out 50 feet or so, and you're on the reef.

I can guarantee that we will dive the Hilma Hooker at least once.....twice if we ask for it again! After all, our leader's screen name is WreckWench! :lmao:
Posted Image

#310 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,678 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:46 AM

VERY VERY IMPORTANT FLIGHT & TRANSFERS UPDATE:

This trip includes transfers to and from the hotel. However in order for the resort to provide this service we must have this information from you first. We have asked for flight details since the beginning of the trip opening and booking process soI have no doubt that everyone going on a trip is aware that we need your flight details. We exclusively use volunteers who work tirelessly to keep up with everything we have from you and do not have from you. It is possible that you did send us this information but our first post is our 'check and balance' identifier so you know if we have rec'd vital information from you because it is posted there.

I just sent the details to the resort this morning and the following people will NOT have a transfer either way or to or from. And while you may think its ok to not supply your return flight details...the resort MUST have this information before arriving...NOT during your stay.

So if you wish for this part of your package to be offered you MUST supply this information to us today. Tammy and I both leave for Bonaire tomorrow and will not be able to supply it to them after tomorrow am. Thank you for your assistance in resolving this matter quickly. Again if you supplied this information to us once we apologize if we did not fully capture it. However we need everyone on this list to supply it again. :thankyou:

1. Jeff - no details at all
2. Carla - no return flight
3. Joanne - no return flight
4. Alison - no details at all

formerly...

#311 rkymtwy

rkymtwy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:30 AM

I replied to the message that you emailed out with my information. If you still don't have my flight info let me know.

#312 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:34 AM

The email I sent to Alison aka WJA was bounced back to me as undeliverable, so we do not have a good way to contact her because she has disabled PM's and gave us a bad email address.

If anybody knows her, please contact her if you can and let her know we need her flight info in order to arrange her transfers! :thankyou:
Posted Image

#313 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,678 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:38 AM

She replied back to me using the email she has on site. Strange... but I now have her flight details.

formerly...

#314 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,678 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:05 PM

IMPORTANT TRIP UPDATES:

1. Thank you all for your quick replies back to us. We are now sending all the remaining details to the resort.

2. For those who were hoping and :praying: that we could dive the Town Pier....sadly it is STILL closed and can not be dove on. :tears:

3. Please do not forget your school and life supplies for the wonderful orphanage that we support in Bonaire. A rep as well as some of the kids will come to see us

4. Bring a snack or two for the famous... infamous??? Happy Hours at Chez Neal right behind the bar and on the main walkway to the rooms/lobby. (The snack selection on the island is horrible AND expensive...really expensive...so bring some munchies with you!

5. And speaking of Chez Neal...don't forget to get a bottle or go in with a fellow passenger on a bottle of your favorite beverage at Duty Free. You'll have to get some mixers on the island but we'll have the booze covered. AND IF YOU DO NOT DRINK...STILL STOP BY!!! We'll have non-alcoholic beverages that you can enjoy as well as the BEST COMPANY on the island! :cool1:

formerly...

#315 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:10 PM

One more day, and a wake-up!

:cheerleader: Posted Image :wakawaka: Posted Image Posted Image :dance: Posted Image :2cool: Posted Image Posted Image :diver: Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users