• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Question for single women specifically

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 stroke1970

stroke1970

Getting started

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:48 PM

Ok, let's pretend you met the man you want to marry. Would you accept an engagement ring without a diamond or any gem at all? Marketing has us convinced that the true sign of a man's affection is a diamond. My issue is that many diamonds still come from African conflict regions and there really is no way to tell where they are from even if they are "certified" as non conflict diamonds. I don't want to start fights, I just try to be more socially aware with my purchases.

#2 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:41 AM

Personally, I hate colorless stones, which is what the traditional engagement stone is. Diamonds are one of the most plentiful gemstones on earth, but they're price is falsely inflated by companies like DeBeers, who hoard diamonds and trickle them onto the market so they can keep the price up. The violence of the mining situation in Africa is the capper for me. The only reason I own any diamonds at all is because they're used as small accents to the sapphires I buy myself.

The true sign of a man's affection is the attention he pays me, not what he can buy me.

Just my 2psi.
Posted Image

#3 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:52 AM

If you don't want to get her a diamond, get her dive gear.

If she doesn't accept dive gear because she does not dive, get a new girlfriend.

--From the expert(s) at the Glaringly Obvious Department at the PIHHR.

#4 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:21 AM

Thanks Platy-couldn't have said it better myself!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:26 AM

Hey Stroke1970...first off you'll learn one thing around here...you can't limit a question to just one group say 'single women' cuz you WILL get replies from just about everyone! LOL! You can choose to discredit replies from those who are not the target you intended but variety IS the spice of life. ;)

Although recently married I think I can still provide a valid reply to this question.

1. All women are different therefore there will not be a generalized reply to this question.
2. Some women will be open to something other than 'traditional' when it comes to a wedding/engagement ring just as they are open to non-traditional in other aspects of their lives.
3. Women have grown up with diamonds = wedding rings for their whole life so this tradition may be difficult to overcome even if they are non-traditional otherwise.
4. There are ways to get non-conflict diamonds...find an old ring or antique diamond, use other gemstones, find a nautical theme if she is a diver or loves the ocean.
5. If you are the athletic type and you find a gal that is as well, often they don't gravitate to the traditional wedding rings as they get in the way of working out.
6. If she traditionally loves jewelry or diamonds then stay clear UNLESS she shares the same political beliefs. (And I'm sure a smart guy like you can engage that kind of conversation quite early without too much issue so you can get the answer you need.) ;)

Hopefully you don't mind replies from others who wish to participate...its all good and its all fun! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#6 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:04 AM

The true sign of a man's affection is the attention he pays me, not what he can buy me.

Just my 2psi.

Good answer!

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:37 AM

Just my 2psi.

Good answer!

I totally agree! I certainly did not marry for money but I did marry a man who made me feel like a queen! :teeth:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#8 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:38 PM

I would value the ring, whatever it was, by the kindness and love it represents. A friend of mine wears only a solid band with no stone. I think it is a beautiful reminder of the one who loves her and as others have said, a stone doesn't get in the way.

#9 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:48 PM

Back when I was engaged, my ex-fiance broke things off and kept the ring. :angry: About a month later, once I figured things in retrospect, I came to view it as the price of a clean break and a bargain. :cool:

Rick

:usflag:

#10 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:36 PM

I don't wear much jewelry on a daily basis. Diamonds can be pretty but I also think they cost too much.

What I would want from a man is something he picked out from his heart. I would never question it's worth by putting a dollar figure on it.

It's worth would be priceless to me if it was given from the heart no matter what it was.
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#11 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:20 PM

I would accept any ring the man of my dreams decided to give me, but the ring of my dreams is a diamond. Sorry, just being honest. I would also hope that the man of my dreams would be honest with me about what kind of a ring he would like, because I would definitely want to buy him exactly what he wants, and something that he will wear. The best idea is to go shopping for rings together, to make sure both of you are happy with the choice, hopefully you will be wearing it for a long time.

#12 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:32 PM

The only option: 5 CT Pink Diamond ring in white 18kt gold. Diamond has to be from Australia, where they have not had conflicts where diamonds are used to launder money. :teeth:

#13 stroke1970

stroke1970

Getting started

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:41 PM

Only 5 C? Is that all?

#14 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:51 AM

The only option: 5 CT Pink Diamond ring in white 18kt gold. Diamond has to be from Australia, where they have not had conflicts where diamonds are used to launder money. :teeth:

There ya go, problem solved, question answered, everyones happy.,

#15 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:02 AM

Yes, but based on the cocaine and pollutant levels found on American currency these days, I'd prefer it DOES get laundered!

I'll have to pose this question to the mermaid of my dreams and see what she says. She is half Aussie by the way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users