• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DISCUSSION ONLY....2013-02: Maldives Feb 20-Mar 2, 2013

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
239 replies to this topic

#196 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:28 PM

POSSIBLE UPDATE:

First off :thankyou: for your support...I wish my crystal ball had been a wee bit clearer and perhaps we would not be having this conversation... OTOH... we did take our chances and I learned a great deal. Now the trick is to stay in business long enough to benefit from it! LOL!

However I do still have one possible trick up my sleeve...I am trying to cancel the charter, pay the penalty and rebook at the lower rate. *Technically* it is doable but I am not sure if they will honor it or not. However if they do...the penalty and the new rate will still be lower than what I have AND I might have enough to pay for my airline ticket in exchange for having $7k in deposits tied up for 2 years and taking the risk of filling the trip, plus the work that goes into doing such a trip.

So stay tuned as the exchange rate saga continues... ;)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#197 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:36 PM

I don't know Kamala. After reading the recent reports about the Siren fleet on Undercurrent I would be rethinking booking with them at all. Not to mention that I was offered a 14 day trip with the Siren fleet for $4600 US$ which is essentially $2300 a week.

Just sayin...

J
Sea Turtle advocate!

#198 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:56 PM

I have to withdraw myself from this trip list. I was running out of time, and had to make a decision between this and a friend's trip that was filling up, so I committed to the other trip, since this is not yet posted.

Thanks.

#199 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:41 AM

Sorry to lose you Rosa... :tears:

I expect to have this trip posted in a few days...still working the last angle to get the price down.

Jim, Siren is a reputable company and I have booked several add'l charters for other groups since booking this one. Of the groups that have completed their travel they have been very satified with Siren and I expect nothing less for my group. If I cancel the spots and do not rebook then they will firesale them since they will be already be subsidized $7k which will be my lost deposits. I do not know the circumstances of the trip you are offered unless they are for less than a full boat charter or they booked long enough in advance AND they left the price in euros so when they convert to dollars today the trip is cheaper.

If you wait to try and fill trips at the last minute then they have no group availability and if you book early then you have to take the risk of what exchange rates will be doing. We had these discussions openly on the site in 2010/2011 and no one suggested I stay in euros and wait for the EU to nearly collapse so that the dollar would be stronger... I'm just sayin...

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#200 rkymtwy

rkymtwy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:08 AM

Unless I win the lottery I'm going to have to drop from the list also. Would love to go but......come on winning ticket, oh yea, guess I need to buy a ticket first.

#201 soonerdiver

soonerdiver

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Cert Level:DiveMaster
  • Logged Dives:Several hundred, thousands un-logged.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

Please put me on the Interested List for this trip I have some money to get rid of.

Thanks
  • WreckWench likes this

#202 Guest_Sea Urchin_*

Guest_Sea Urchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:05 PM

@ Jim,

Basically $2300 for 7 days is roughly $328 per night...Kamala's trip is for 10 days not 7 days ... $328 x10 is $3280 ...saving of $150...just saying.

Kamala,

Could you check into available for the trip before and trip after and if they are doing a northern route. I like to do both Northern and Southern together without getting off the boat.

Thank you in advance,
Que

#203 Guest_Sea Urchin_*

Guest_Sea Urchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

Autocorrect got me again...I was typing availability but available got posted.

#204 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

@ QUE

If you look at total days then you are correct. However if you look a total diving days, then the 10 day trip is more expensive per diving day. However that is not my point. I would be very cautious of booking a trip with a company that has lost 2 boats in the last year and by lost I mean sunk and left passengers stranded on life boats as well as a third boat that canceled after the guests arrive due to a supposed engine failure. Sorry but if I paid over $3300 for the boat plus airfare, spent 30 some hours of travel time to get to the departure point to find out that the trip had been canceled I would not be happy.

That is just my opinion.. just sayin...

j
Sea Turtle advocate!

#205 scubaclint

scubaclint

People are Getting to Know Me

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:346

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:54 PM

Updates have been made to the Interested list. :)

#206 fiveninerzero

fiveninerzero

Getting started

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:55

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:47 AM

Please add me to the "interested" list.
  • WreckWench likes this

#207 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

One last note...

Jim Siren STILL has one of the best safety records in the industry. Fluke things happen and I believe both of their incidents were flukes. However that being said...I am fairly confident they will NOT have another incident no matter what... 3 strikes would cause *anyone* to be out so to speak.

When these incidents happened Siren was EXTREMELY forthcoming and they accommodated the passengers in such a manner that they rec'd very positive reviews on how they handled the aftermath and how they handled crediting them another cruise to replace their lost one.

While not ideal nor desirable...I have not seen much fault with how they handled these two fluke events albiet ones that I :pray: I never experience first hand.

Now back to working out any add'l perks I can with Siren and getting this trip posted for booking.

GREAT TO SEE NEW INTEREST IN THE TRIP :thankyou:

formerly...

#208 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

Sorry to lose you Rosa... :tears:

I know. I'm sure you guys will have a great time. And I'll be seeing you in a few weeks!!!

#209 HoustonAngelfish

HoustonAngelfish

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

1343488040[/url]' post='301816']
One last note...

Jim Siren STILL has one of the best safety records in the industry. Fluke things happen and I believe both of their incidents were flukes. However that being said...I am fairly confident they will NOT have another incident no matter what... 3 strikes would cause *anyone* to be out so to speak.

When these incidents happened Siren was EXTREMELY forthcoming and they accommodated the passengers in such a manner that they rec'd very positive reviews on how they handled the aftermath and how they handled crediting them another cruise to replace their lost one.

While not ideal nor desirable...I have not seem much fault with how they handled these two fluke events albiet ones that I :pray: I never experience first hand.

Now back to working out any add'l perks I can with Siren and getting this trip posted for booking.

GREAT TO SEE NEW INTEREST IN THE TRIP :thankyou:

#210 sunshinediver

sunshinediver

People are starting to get to know me

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor trainer with SEI and CMAS; HSA (divers with disabilities) and DAN instructor; tech
  • Logged Dives:2312

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:25 PM

Please add me to the very interested list. :wakawaka:
  • WreckWench likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users