• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Winter Storm Across the US

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:55 PM

Tomorrow...day TWO of the snow days.... just too cold to run buses where they aren't used to doing it!! (I know I went to school in weather like this when I was a kid...) Glad I'm not out in it though. I just wonder how they'll make us make it up... they don't build snow days into the calendar anymore, how crazy is that! :wacko:

I've heard some schools are having classes on Wednesday. So some districts are willing to do it! I've also thought it had to do with the wait times at the bus stops when its this cold.

#17 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:33 PM

I believe the KC school district has more than 10 missed days so far this year.....and now they're saying they are NOT going to make them up at years' end. Not a good solution, because many kids are not putting enough effort into their education as it is.
Posted Image

#18 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:57 PM

Tomorrow...day TWO of the snow days.... just too cold to run buses where they aren't used to doing it!! (I know I went to school in weather like this when I was a kid...) Glad I'm not out in it though. I just wonder how they'll make us make it up... they don't build snow days into the calendar anymore, how crazy is that! :wacko:

I've heard some schools are having classes on Wednesday. So some districts are willing to do it! I've also thought it had to do with the wait times at the bus stops when its this cold.

I think I've seen all the big districts in the area are out. It must be one of the smaller districts or maybe even some of the private schools, although a lot of the private schools are out too.

I think it's a combination of concern about wait times at bus stops and concern that they can even get the buses started though they've been plugging them in and starting them up to make sure the buses are ready for Thursday. I really prefer not to see icicles for kids!

#19 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:02 AM

It was Jefferson County as of last night. Not sure if it changed..

But good news! No shadow for Phil this morning, spring is just around the corner..

http://news.yahoo.co...s_groundhog_day

#20 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:19 AM

Oh, my! The Morning After..... I just looked outside to see what it would take to dig my way out, and I don't even see a good starting point! Time to bundle up & get started, 'cuz nobody else is going to clear the driveway for me!
Posted Image

#21 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:24 AM

Nope, Jefferson County is closed but Denver is open. I hope the kids dress warm enough...

I'll be waiting until this afternoon for slightly warmer temperatures to go out and shovel the snow. I have become a cold WIMP!

#22 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:40 AM

There is at least one school district in Connecticut that will forego spring break this year in order to catch up on missed snow days.

Rick

:usflag:

#23 ThatJoeGuy

ThatJoeGuy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:29 AM

I am so envious of you all (except for the shoveling part, shoveling is no fun.) It is clear skies here and the only snow on the ground is the piles from snow plows that have not melted yet. Cursed river keeping the fun weather away.

#24 BJ MathPro

BJ MathPro

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water, Enriched Air

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:56 AM

20" of snow here at my home in Naperville (west of Chicago)! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

My super friendly neighbor just helped us clear the drive way with his snow blower. It took nearly an hour! :thankyou:

However, our street is still buried in the snow. No plowing truck has come, so we are locked inside the house. :dry:

#25 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:07 PM

Missouri......The Snow-Me State! or, since KC is on the state line......

The Blizzard of Oz! :teeth:

Attached Thumbnails

• Out the garage door.jpg
  • Snow storage behind 2nd door.jpg
  • Up the looong driveway.jpg

Posted Image

#26 BJ MathPro

BJ MathPro

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water, Enriched Air

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:55 PM

The morning after - before and after shoveling (or whatever Tammy said) :iagree:

Attached Thumbnails

• 2011-snow-storn1-x.jpg
  • 2011-snow-storn2-x.jpg

#27 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:39 PM

So shorts, tee shirt and Crocs (standard wear in San Pedro) may not be ideal for my visit to Dallas in a couple of weeks? :P

#28 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:39 AM

So shorts, tee shirt and Crocs (standard wear in San Pedro) may not be ideal for my visit to Dallas in a couple of weeks? :P

In a couple of weeks, it may be fine, This week it certainly wouldn't have been. All I have been hearing on the radio this week is how cold and miserable it is in Dallas.

But hey, we are supposed to get up to 38 today in Denver, so this round looks to be over.

#29 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 03 February 2011 - 02:00 PM

You can bring 'em, if you want, but be prepared for anything. If you get tto wear 'em, watch out, you'll need cold weather wear within a couple days. Jan. 27-30, sunny, pleasant in shorts & tee sshirt. Tuesday at 4am, tempeture fell below 0 -C, and will not rise above 0 -C until some time Saturday afternoon. I blame it on the Steelers & Cheese-heads!!!

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#30 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:43 PM

We may have gotten to 38... but more snow today made the drive home a mess! Another hour and a half event!! Okay, I'm done whining. Hope everyone is either staying home if you are in the path of the storm or being extra cautious. Gotta keep us all healthy to dive. :teeth: :diver:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users