• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Check here if you'd like to receive the Newsletter

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

Poll: Check here if you'd like to receive the Newsletter (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you ready for an SD newsletter?

1. Yes, it's about time (7 votes [30.43%])

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

2. Yes, give it to me monthly (7 votes [30.43%])

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

3. Yes, I'd like to see it quarterly (4 votes [17.39%])

Percentage of vote: 17.39%

4. Nah, I get all the info I need by logging on (5 votes [21.74%])

Percentage of vote: 21.74%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:34 PM

How about an SD.com trip photo of the what, month/quarter?? It could be selected only from those uploaded to the site....
Posted Image

#17 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level:1
  • Logged Dives:-1

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:50 PM

I'd like to put out there that I NEVER thought another women's :D would entice me into the sucker category.

Normally that's reserved for tall dark handsome MEN :sweetie: but I guess it was I was daydreaming of that tall dark handsome man when she blindsided me with the need. Ahh I'm hopeless.

I wonder how much a brain to mouth filter costs.... Nah I'll just stick a reg in my mouth. That should do the trick! :cool2:

I'm tall dark and handsome, and I'm a man (In the sense that I have a Y chromosome, not that I leave stinky laundry lying around for someone else to pick up );Posted Image maybe you were just distracted by my devilishly good looks at BTS, and weren't paying attention when the Wench asked for help. Posted Image

#18 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:52 PM

I'm also going to have to put my name forward in the suckers category... I don't hold a 'position of power' on SD... but I might like to in a year or more. Yes, someone actually wants your job. Clearly I don't know what it entails, otherwise i'd be running in the opposite direction screaming like a dive-alert plus.

I'm ready when you are.... ;)

Whats the job description? And what are the benefits (besides late nights doing spell check)?

#19 coziac

coziac

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:02 PM

Alright I'll help out a texan if you can keep it quiet, just as long as you're not a secret Longhorn fan!

#20 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:05 PM

In addition to a gear review, which would be AWESOME (coming from the guy who loves gear), how about a column for "funny dive story of the month" (or several short ones). Everyone here seems to like a good laugh, so that could easily become a popular section.

I'd also like to see an accident report and analysis. I think one of the best ways to stay safe while diving is to read up on what people did wrong, then not do it. Though, I'm hesitant to suggest someone from SD writing an accident analysis, it feels... not quite right? (Feel free to disagree/comment) Perhaps we could offer two or three links to reports per newsletter, as well as a couple different safety tips.

#21 TXAggieDiver

TXAggieDiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:we're supposed to track of that @#!$ ?

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:40 PM

Alright I'll help out a texan if you can keep it quiet, just as long as you're not a secret Longhorn fan!

Oh you should know better, women can never keep it quiet but I may be able to keep my mouth shut as I would like the help.

P.S. I'm not in the closet about anything and that includes allegiance to my alma matter. :teeth:

Gig'em!

Make sure you never run out of Erica!

#22 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:02 PM

In addition to a gear review, which would be AWESOME (coming from the guy who loves gear), how about a column for "funny dive story of the month" (or several short ones). Everyone here seems to like a good laugh, so that could easily become a popular section.

I'd also like to see an accident report and analysis. I think one of the best ways to stay safe while diving is to read up on what people did wrong, then not do it. Though, I'm hesitant to suggest someone from SD writing an accident analysis, it feels... not quite right? (Feel free to disagree/comment) Perhaps we could offer two or three links to reports per newsletter, as well as a couple different safety tips.

We have a forum called Lessons Learned...time for some peeps to share their stories and then we'll have plenty of content to draw from.

Funny dive story would be good...can you start a thread entitled that and we'll see if we can't get some ideas rolling?

Thank you!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#23 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:07 PM

I'm also going to have to put my name forward in the suckers category... I don't hold a 'position of power' on SD... but I might like to in a year or more. Yes, someone actually wants your job. Clearly I don't know what it entails, otherwise i'd be running in the opposite direction screaming like a dive-alert plus.

I'm ready when you are.... ;)

Whats the job description? And what are the benefits (besides late nights doing spell check)?

Umm....recognition, sense of achievement and accomplishment, satisfaction knowing you are making a difference...love of doing random acts of kindness...

For the right people the benefits are HUGE!!! But they are all intangible!

As for job description...its what you'd like it to be. Got computer skills...we need them. Have writing skills (this we know you have)...we need them. Like helping others...we need that!

As for specific jobs/tasks...I'm looking for someone interested in PR/Marketing, someone into writing/helping with newsletter, and of course starting topics on the site, I need fb and twitter guru's to help us do better in this area, I need people who will help with picture/video uploading for special projects, we are always looking for "Charlies & Angels" who help/do birthday greetings and welcome new members and start new topics and visit old ones and contribute content to the site. The list goes on but that's a good start.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#24 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:08 PM

Ok, the benefits rock!

I've got good computer skills, they're a few years out of date (so I can't troubleshoot windows 7 over the phone.), but given a couple days and a six pack of beer I can get a server and network all set up.

I cannot program to save my life, so if you want me to make code or build the website you're @!&% outta luck.

Love helping others, really, I put other people before myself. (At times, do my disadvantage).

I don't think I'd be good at marketing, but I'd be happy to be a consultant/sounding board for the marketing person. I've been starting topics on the site. I wouldn't consider myself a Facebook Guru, but I would probably appear like one to the older generation. Twitter, your SOL again. Its like pot, i've never used it, and never plan to.

I can certainly help with uploading pictures/videos, and I think that my sight presence so far (while new) has been quite active.

#25 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:00 PM

So by newsletter you mean a document that will be emailed too all members that you have email address for. A great idea to renew members interest and notify same of upcoming events/trips for those that may not visit the SD.com site regulaly. I'd recommend less is more with content. 1 page, a 4-7 minute read with a link to more details at the SD.com site.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#26 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:23 AM

So by newsletter you mean a document that will be emailed too all members that you have email address for. A great idea to renew members interest and notify same of upcoming events/trips for those that may not visit the SD.com site regulaly. I'd recommend less is more with content. 1 page, a 4-7 minute read with a link to more details at the SD.com site.

Yup....we are both either physic...brilliant or cheated and knew what the other was thinking in your case and doing in our case! :cool2:

1. Yes the plan is it will be emailed to all members and those who have signed up at dive shows. (We still need to get all members our of this database into our email db which is constant contact.)

2. Yes our plan is "Less is More". Remember this is coming from the woman paranoid about sending out ANY type of newsletter even if requested for fear that people will think we are spamming them.

3. The format and content is set up to tease readers to click for more and not force them to read everything to get to the next topic.

Note: Form/format is very important. Erica has done a magnificent job trying to create something that I like AND is attractive, readable, easy to read, has good flow etc. AND uses our company colors. I think I've driven her :wacko: BUT she has prevailed and we'll have a copy of the letter for you all to peruse on the site very soon! (The copy you see will probably be slightly different due to the translation issues we are having with our email client BUT it will be close if we can't get an exact screen shot of the final newsletter itself.

formerly...

#27 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:34 AM

Ok, the benefits rock!

I've got good computer skills, they're a few years out of date (so I can't troubleshoot windows 7 over the phone.), but given a couple days and a six pack of beer I can get a server and network all set up.

I cannot program to save my life, so if you want me to make code or build the website you're @!&% outta luck.

Love helping others, really, I put other people before myself. (At times, do my disadvantage).

I don't think I'd be good at marketing, but I'd be happy to be a consultant/sounding board for the marketing person. I've been starting topics on the site. I wouldn't consider myself a Facebook Guru, but I would probably appear like one to the older generation. Twitter, your SOL again. Its like pot, i've never used it, and never plan to.

I can certainly help with uploading pictures/videos, and I think that my sight presence so far (while new) has been quite active.

Resume reviewed... CHECK
Credentials useful...CHECK
Applicant genuine....CHECK
Another awesome volunteer identified...PRICELESS!!! :wakawaka:

EXCELLENT!!! Looks like you will fit in great! Our biggest need IS programming but we have a pro who is happy to fool around with our stuff trying to make it work BUT he is also burdened with all the other stuff that has to be done on a site like this. We have several other IT guru's who try to pick up all the non-programming stuff and do a great job...but can ALWAYS use some help. So the plan will be to mentor you to that position as we start you off in our 'internship' which is more of what you are doing now.

1. Getting to know the site
2. Getting to know the people
3. Figuring out how the mechanics of the site works from a user perspective and then we can help you learn the mechanics of the site from the administrator perspective.
4. Coming up with ideas for topics to keep the site fresh, fun and active.
5. Looking at existing topics and revisiting old friends when appropriate and people have something genuine to contribute.
6. Wishing other members Happy Birthday and welcoming them to our community
7. Helping to get local happy hours going in your local area or helping others get them in their area.

So with the exception of #7...you can get started right away and since you have to ebb and flow due to school...that gives us time to get ready for you behind the scenes over the next few weeks without taking focus off our new newsletter roll out, the next tradeshow I do this coming week in the PNW, etc.

So jump right in...keep doing what you are doing and we'll start to make it all official over the next month or so as it all starts to jell! :cool1:

p.s. email me with any questions... :thankyou: kamala

formerly...

#28 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:44 PM

How about an SD.com trip photo of the what, month/quarter?? It could be selected only from those uploaded to the site....

YES! That is a great idea! And will hopefully encourage more people to post pics on the site!

Speaking of which...we need your HELP HERE!!!!PLEASE!!! :pray:

formerly...

#29 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:22 AM

Normally that's reserved for tall dark handsome MEN :sweetie:

Huh, what? Someone mention my name? :P

I don't hold a 'position of power' on SD... but I might like to in a year or more. Yes, someone actually wants your job.

Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it. :teeth:
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#30 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:18 AM

Normally that's reserved for tall dark handsome MEN :sweetie:

Huh, what? Someone mention my name? :P

I don't hold a 'position of power' on SD... but I might like to in a year or more. Yes, someone actually wants your job.

Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it. :teeth:

Its about TIME you popped in! :teeth:

And YES he is already in training...we'll get him into Charlies in no time and then jr admin!

Ah the life! :respect:

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users