• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DISCUSSION ONLY 2014-02: FIRM DATES Truk Lagoon...Redeux! Feb 9-16, 2014

• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#16 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:52 PM

Ok so you want Truk first! That is probably a good option UNLESS the diving prior to Truk is all shallow.

And YES the idea is to let people plan for advanced training. To start we'll offer tech training in Roatan this Nov 12-19 by our very own OTWDiver. (He's not only my tech instructor but Jerry's as well as a number of others on this site!)

I did my tech training in Roatan and its a great place to do it. Many walls in west bay and west end that drop down to somewhere between 110 feet and 200 feet that allow you to do gradual deep dives while learning the skills. Plus with a reef wall full of marine life, deco stops aren't boring at all, just another part of the dive. The top of the reef is at 20 feet, another bonus when working on maintaining stops at that depth rather than in open water as you have a point of reference.

Plus the temperature change is minimal as well. Maybe 5 degrees after 30 feet to the bottom.

There is also a 3rd wreck in the west bay/west end that we dove called the Josie J. Its at 180 feet at the bow, 170 feet at the stern.

#17 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:05 PM

Thanks for the great input George...now can you join us for Truk in 2014? I recall you can not travel the first 2 weeks of the month so that would let out the first date leaving on the latter date for you right? Or will you manage to go there before our group? If the latter do let us book you...we can save you money over the best price you can find!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#18 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:12 AM

Spending an extended time away during the prime time of ski season here in the Rockies is always a challenge. But you are correct on the time of the month. Its why I haven't been back to Bonaire since my first trip back in May a few years ago.

If I did go, it would certainly be only for the truck week (losing two weekends), then doing both, which would be better value given how much of the cost is tied up in airfare.

Will keep that in mind on booking myself. I'd really like to do Palau at some time too (and Wakatobi looks awesome as well, great episode of 'Into the Drink' about it).

#19 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:46 AM

Thanks George...I will help you book for less when you plan your trips independently. We just don't have the overhead the others do and we pass those savings onto our members.

I know that Mike wants to do Wakatobi again so we could possibly get a small group going independantly. However Truk and Wakatobi can not be combined. Truk and Palau work but the logistics are better to do Palau first or plan 2 days traveling to get to Palau.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#20 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:03 AM

I'll let you know about the diving in Anilao, Philippines as a possible add-on after Truk, but I won't be back until June 1 and I know you need to lock in dates well before then.
Posted Image

#21 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:49 AM

And the winner is .....

Feb 9-16, 2014!

(I got some feedback from facebook and emails and keeping the 2 trips entirely in Feb was considered optimal! I just hope that Fred can get that 3rd Thursday of the month off in a couple of years!)

formerly...

#22 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:17 AM

(I got some feedback from facebook and emails and keeping the 2 trips entirely in Feb was considered optimal! I just hope that Fred can get that 3rd Thursday of the month off in a couple of years!)

Hell I might be retired by then. Wouldn't that be something?!?!?!?!?!?

F
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#23 Resqdew

Resqdew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Cert Level:Full Cave, Advanced Nitrox, Sidemount, Deco, DPV, etc
  • Logged Dives:2,198++

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:10 AM

Add me to the interested list.

I'd stay another week or 10 days en route or wherever to make the trip more interesting and maximize the long flights.

Susan

#24 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:21 AM

Add me to the interested list.

I'd stay another week or 10 days en route or wherever to make the trip more interesting and maximize the long flights.

Susan

We will do 2 trips in the same timeframe to maximize the air. I am MOST inclined to do the Philipines as the 2ns trip which can also be a standalone trip as well. I am taking SUGGESTIONS for where the 2nd trip should be!

formerly...

#25 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:58 PM

Put me on the list as i will start putting the penny's together now. As for add ons my rankings would be yap/palau at the top followed by Philippines (where in PI would be the question???? go back to Atlantis Dumagette?). Hopefully by then be CCR certified to make the most of the diving in truk

If im going to go on this im going to go for a min of 2 weeks and probably 3.

Then for the benefit of those who have miles can everything be nailed down min a year in advance so that when the window opens can get most number of options for miles tickets(In to Manila on Cathy, Qantas, JAL or Guam on JAL). I know i will have to buy the island hopper ticket, which i have no problem with that, just need the time to lock in the longest part of the journey on miles.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#26 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:26 PM

Just sayin'.....the Anilao area of the Philippines is an awesome place to dive! A great mixture of muck and reef diving. Some drift diving vs. some 'get back to the boat' diving, and all from a 4-5 person outrigger boat. Fantastic macro, and some of the best hard coral acreage I've ever seen.
Posted Image

#27 Muktuk

Muktuk

Getting started

• Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW,Nitrox,GUE fundies, GUE Rec 2
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:02 PM

I'm up for some tech training and a return to Truk lagoon. Just can't do any courses during the Alaskan summer as my hiking boots are calling.
Three years is about right to recover from the Island Hopper flight...

#28 scubaclint

scubaclint

People are Getting to Know Me

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:346

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:44 PM

I've updated the interested list. :cool1:

Anyone else? :cool2:

#29 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:54 PM

I would agree with LLDN. Anilao would be a great add on to Truk. It's comparatively inexpensive. American friendly. Easy to get to if your already on that side of the world. The diving is really good. If you are a photographer it is even better... and it would be a good stand alone trip for anyone that did not want to do Truk..
Sea Turtle advocate!

#30 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:11 AM

The idea about trying to lock in trips for 2013 and 2014 NOW is to give people LOTS of time to plan for and save money for these trips. This may or may not include the ability to get air via miles. In the case of Maldives it seems that it will make more sense to let people use miles to get airfare OR book them individually. They will need to book EARLY since we will not have a contract rate that will last right up until booking. In the case of Truk we probably will have a contract rate and therefore it will not be as conducive to people using miles until after we have sold the min number of contract seats. There are pros and cons and I have to see where we choose as a second venue for the 2nd trip that we do with Truk. It will impact if we do a group air contract or not.

Doing Yap MAY work air wise depending on how the flights run...but Palau does not without losing a day of diving in Truk unless you extend the non-diving part of the trip to fill in the transit logistical hurdles.

We still need to finish planning 2012 and 2013 so I have a little time to finish working out the details.

Philippines: We are looking at the Philippines as there is an easy direct flight from Truk. We will NOT say at Atlantis as we've done that already. I would consider Dumaguette only or Anilao.

formerly...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users