• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

GOES.... Global Entry Card

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#31 secretsea18

secretsea18

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:10 AM

Glad things are speedier for you Wenchie, but the cynic in me wants to see a system where the long lines and wait times for ALL travelers are shortened so everyone can get through to their flights on time.

Of the two or three dozen airline flights I have taken, none have been hijacked or blown up. My former military career, honorable discharge and the Top Secret security clearances I used to carry also carry no weight. The vast majority of people are just like that. Honest and law abiding. Yet the system treats everyone as if they are Colombian cartel drug mules.

All it is going to take is one person with an agenda and a GOES card to do something dumb. The good times will stop rolling soon after and then everyone will be back in that big long line.

INTERESTING SIDEBAR....

I have now been pulled for level 4 security clearance twice since my GOES acceptance. The last one indicated that the frequent travelers will be called more frequently. So although we may be 'trusted'...it is 'trust but verify'.

I have never been called for a level 4 SSSS security check before. It is quite annoying but I guess its to prevent just the thing Simon alludes can happen. However its someone else's turn...I've had 2 in almost as many trips! :banghead:

SSSS (Super Secret Sensitive Security) is nothing but a ploy by TSA to make us feel "safer" ... it is not a level anything, Kamala. It has nothing to do with being a frequent flyer really. It has to do with the fact that the 9/11 guys bought tickets the day before and with cash. But now you can get SSSS for long standing reservations and credit card transactions, too.

It is either random, or because you booked a ticket at the last minute, or paid with cash. You don't get anything extra in terms of the screening, as the only person who knows is the document checker... and by the way there are ways to get the dredded "SSSS" off of your boarding pass.

I have had SSSS multiple times, no more frequent after getting GE than before getting GE. It has nothing to do with having GE really.

If you can't do an online check-in, then it is likely you have been "randomly" assigned to the SSSS. I even have gotten SSSS while traveling overseas on my return back to the US. And was rather p*ssed off that I could not check in online. When I called the airline to ask what was the problem with my reservation they said "nothing is wrong", and understand that the airline can't tell you that the reason you can't check in is due to the SSSS assigned (randomly by our gubermint) to your ticket number. Just like they can't tell you that your First Class seat assignment was changed due to a Federal Air Marshall stealing the seat you picked 6 months ago.

Edited by secretsea18, 19 October 2011 - 09:12 AM.

#32 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:55 PM

I never buy right before a trip but I often can not check in online before a trip. Perhaps it is coincidental that its happened 2 times since getting GOES but 0 times prior to GOES.

The last agent checked me 4x first traditional xray, then hand search of everything single thing I owned, then my checked bags and then all my carry on AGAIN when I was just about ready to board messing up my early boarding priviledges. The last one irritated me and she claimed it was because I was a freq traveler.

However I would love for you to email me with ANY ideas on how to get the 4S off my boarding pass... :pray:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#33 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:31 PM

If you have any police records you will be turned down and lose your $100 application fee. Not sure what level of infraction counts.

Verified via inquiry with the Global Entry folks; their answer to me follows (emphasis mine):

Global Entry is open to U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, Dutch citizens, and Mexican nationals. Canadian citizens and residents may enjoy Global Entry benefits through membership in the NEXUS program.

Reasons for Ineligibility

Applicants may not qualify for participation in the Global Entry program if they:

Provide false or incomplete information on the application;

Have been convicted of any criminal offense or have pending criminal charges or outstanding warrants;

Have been found in violation of any customs, immigration or agriculture regulations or laws in any country;

Are subjects of an ongoing investigation by any federal, state or local law enforcement agency;

Are inadmissible to the United States under immigration regulation, including applicants with approved waivers of inadmissibility or parole documentation;

Cannot satisfy CBP of their low-risk status (e.g. CBP has intelligence that indicates that the applicant is not low risk; CBP cannot determine an applicants criminal, residence or employment history).
-------------------------------------------

Wow. So that 35-year-old misdemeanor you had back in college CAN come back to bite you in the ass.

PPM

Edited by PlatypusMan, 19 October 2011 - 02:32 PM.

#34 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:47 PM

I never buy right before a trip but I often can not check in online before a trip. Perhaps it is coincidental that its happened 2 times since getting GOES but 0 times prior to GOES.

The last agent checked me 4x first traditional xray, then hand search of everything single thing I owned, then my checked bags and then all my carry on AGAIN when I was just about ready to board messing up my early boarding priviledges. The last one irritated me and she claimed it was because I was a freq traveler.

However I would love for you to email me with ANY ideas on how to get the 4S off my boarding pass... :pray:

I have some ideas as to why you are now suddenly getting a lot of SSSS attention.

You have outed yourself to the TSA as having been born in Tripoli, AND by applying for the GE card that you are a frequent traveler to various parts of the world. Put those two things together and they are trying to profile you as a courier or money mule. It may get even more invasive when you come back to the US and they want to examine your laptop--and make copies of your hard drive. Look HERE and HERE.

Yes, I'm a paranoid SOB.

• Guests

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:12 PM

This sounds predictable to me Kamala, and not in any kind of cynical way. I would expect this in your case.
I suspect the frequent traveler status coupled with WHERE you travel and a "trusted" status is the clue. You travel almost exclusively to third world countries, some of which we have major covert SF operations in (Phillipines, Indonesia) and others which are becoming grounds for terrorists. Mexico and the Caribbean are getting an Al Queda presence due to the easy access to the US (legal and illegal) and relatively lax police system in some of these areas. They also can, and are, generating money by drug trafficking in these areas to fund their activities. You travel almost exclusively to areas the military and intelligence community care a lot about today... and you do it often. That is a red flag. Security against you will be higher if you are "trusted."

Many of these countries are on the list I have to be cleared to enter. I have an active security clearance and have to report many places I go before I leave and be debriefed by personal interview after I come back. With a clearance they are even allowed to follow you and wiretap your phone without a court order, so it could be worse. There is no such thing as "trusted", and the more "trusted" you are... the more they want to know what you have done and what you are doing. This is no privacy or trust in the "trusted" world. This is the price of security and after dealing with it everyday for 15 years, I think it's fair and necessary. Those that don't get the briefings daily/weekly don't quite appreciate how subtle the bad guys are. We get the "how to spot a spy" training every year and then get audited with real life tests at random times, sometimes announced sometimes not. After a while, and particularly after you see people doing what they show in the videos, you start to think it isn't enough security. These people are on guard 24/7 for a reason. They are paranoid for a reason. The bad guys are subtle and they often look just like you and me. Its not always dark skin and middle eastern accents that tips them off. More times than not, its a white guy from the suburbs they are interested in.

If my clearance was any higher I would have to report and document with personal interview EVERY trip out of the country.

This is actually a good thing, although it sucks for you. My advice is smile and cooperate fully, its just a job for them and they don't have a sense of humor about it. I learned that the hard way with 2 guns to my head in Crystal City about 15 years ago for not having my badge clearly visible at Naval Sea Systems command. Never made that mistake again :)

#36 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:31 PM

Interesting. During my time in the British army and afterwards as a civil servant in the Defence Ministry I held fairly high rank and very high security clearance, yet was never put through this. Back in the '60's my brother was prevented from visiting the (then) USSR because it would have prejudiced our father's position (near the top of the Admiralty), but that was the only time such matters intruded. I think security was as high as in the US, but generally it was kept invisible.

• Guests

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:55 PM

Its not that bad. They generally leave you alone unless you get their attention. That usually only happens when you apply for some sort of new access or somebody reports you for a violation or potential violation. They do encourage (demand) snitching though. Otherwise, life is the same as for everyone else and I don't generally notice any real government intrusion. They do have the right to without court order though. Plenty of real people to spy on.

#38 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:54 PM

Well 13 days(could have been 6) after my online enrollment I am Approved for Global Entry. The interview was easy and about 20 min. long. CBP officer asked for my passport and drivers license, asked if I was arrested in past, asked if I still worked for same company, if I had any activity with CBP in past and I mentioned some secondary searches I had of luggage but that was no problem just my number came up on that trip. You have all your fingers printed and a HiDef closeup photo of your face and that's about all. 5 minutes training on the kiosk machine and a handshake from the officer, pretty short and sweet.

So entering USA @ IAH on Thanksgiving wknd should be a breeze.(Let's Hope).....TSA is working on a plan on using CBP Trusted Travelers Program members for steamlined security checks.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#39 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:42 AM

Stan you will love it. I just wish I had done this earlier.

Here is how GOES works when you travel on the same record with someone with the same last name but who does not have GOES.

As we exited the plane from Rome in Chicago a girl was asking every passenger if they were on the Dallas or XYZ several other cities. My mom and I were on Dallas and worried our flight was canceled and we were being rebooked. It was instead to hand us a bring neon orange ticket sleeve with new boarding passes for each of us telling us to look for EXPRESS SECURITY AGENTS in the Custom's area. Now I'm a bit worried but notice there is a GOES business card stapled to the sleeve so I realize we'll have express customs clearance even though my mom was not GOES herself. Cool I think...this is slick as I was DREADING doing the standard line thing again ESPECIALLY on this huge flight. So we had about 5 people in front of us... the kiosks were empty but I could not use it since I had my mom with he. When we talked to the agent he asked why I had not used my card and I said because I was traveling with my mom. Seems I could have used it anyway and avoided the paper. Note for the future. So head to the luggage lickity split which was good as they pulled our flight in an hour so now time was important. We got our bags and again had an express line to scoot thru vs the longer line everyone else was going thru. Again we were told to look for the agent in orange at the TSA line. When we reached her she let us pass to the front of the TSA security line. By now my mom was getting spoiled and realizing this is a pretty cool thing! We breeze thru TSA only to find our gate and find it was changed again. We finally found our correct gate and arrived just in time for boarding. I know we would have NOT made the plane if we had not had all the expedited clearances.

So enjoy your GOES for as long as can. Before long everyone will have it and we'll be back in lines again! ;)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#40 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:08 AM

Glad things are speedier for you Wenchie, but the cynic in me wants to see a system where the long lines and wait times for ALL travelers are shortened so everyone can get through to their flights on time.

Of the two or three dozen airline flights I have taken, none have been hijacked or blown up. My former military career, honorable discharge and the Top Secret security clearances I used to carry also carry no weight. The vast majority of people are just like that. Honest and law abiding. Yet the system treats everyone as if they are Colombian cartel drug mules.

All it is going to take is one person with an agenda and a GOES card to do something dumb. The good times will stop rolling soon after and then everyone will be back in that big long line.

INTERESTING SIDEBAR....

I have now been pulled for level 4 security clearance twice since my GOES acceptance. The last one indicated that the frequent travelers will be called more frequently. So although we may be 'trusted'...it is 'trust but verify'.

I have never been called for a level 4 SSSS security check before. It is quite annoying but I guess its to prevent just the thing Simon alludes can happen. However its someone else's turn...I've had 2 in almost as many trips! :banghead:

I've been thinking about posting this for a while (and bringing this topic back)... Wenchie ya got your wish for someone else to have the SSSS security check on my Fiji trip... I got the lovely SSSS notation on my boarding pass and told I had to go to a different gate to board the plane. I think I would have been more freaked out had this not been mentioned on the board. No one else in the group I traveled with got that designation but at least two young kids (I'd say they were around thirteen each - one boy and one girl) had to go through the same search. I felt bad for them because it definitely feels invasive to me. I can't imagine a young girl having to deal with it. It's one thing to search your bag and make you take off your shoes... another to be patted down as they now do.

#41 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:43 AM

Global Entry is open to U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, Dutch citizens, and Mexican nationals. Canadian citizens and residents may enjoy Global Entry benefits through membership in the NEXUS program.

Applicants may not qualify for participation in the Global Entry program if they:

Have been convicted of any criminal offense or have pending criminal charges or outstanding warrants;

Wow. So that 35-year-old misdemeanor you had back in college CAN come back to bite you in the ass.

PPM

I reread this post, and have the following questions:-

1) Why are Dutch nationals given special consideration?
2) The criminal offences - are they in any country? Because many countries make criminal offences of what would be perfectly innocuous behaviour in the west, eg. a woman driving a car in a Muslim country.
3) An old misdemeanor can still affect you? What about minor offences that have been officially and legitimately expunged from your record?

#42 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:44 PM

PPM

2) The criminal offences - are they in any country? Because many countries make criminal offences of what would be perfectly innocuous behaviour in the west, eg. a woman driving a car in a Muslim country.
3) An old misdemeanor can still affect you? What about minor offences that have been officially and legitimately expunged from your record?

1) Have no clue why. Unless it has something to do with a treaty between the US and Holland, this one leaves me scratching my head as well.

2) Since they make such a point about 'any' criminal conviction, my assumption is that if it can be uncovered, it can be used to disqualify. It would make sense when considering that some folks go to other countries where their record is not known in order to start over--but may have a hard time doing so with the advent of easily shared computer databases like THIS ONE...or as mentioned HERE.

3) Don't know about expungement; theoretically if the record is removed no one would even know of it's existence. As far as misdemeanors--I know someone who is currently testing those waters with GOES. He had a misdemeanor (non-drug-related) conviction back in his college days that is easily brought up by database search over 30 years later.

It was his only brush with the law. He has been squeaky-clean ever since. He has applied for Global Entry, and made no attempt to evade their question(s) concerning convictions, laying his out in full. That was just prior to Thanksgiving this year, and as of yesterday (when I last checked with him) his application shows as still 'pending review'. He keeps me informed periodically, as his reasoning is that a) the conviction is both a misdemeanor and incredibly old, and b)in most State jurisdictions, the only thing anyone is concerned about is felony convictions.

Whether or not he gets Global Entry is apparently unimportant to him, as he still will travel the world in pursuit of business and pleasure--it's the test to see how rigid the system is that appears to interest him.

Edited by PlatypusMan, 18 December 2011 - 01:12 PM.

#43 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:27 PM

Heidi I now think they are just pulling cute, smart and independent women for SSSS!

Let's See SSSS really means...

Smart
Sexy
Strong
Secure

;)

formerly...

#44 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:19 PM

Heidi I now think they are just pulling cute, smart and independent women for SSSS!

Let's See SSSS really means...

Smart
Sexy
Strong
Secure

;)

LOL! I like that!!

#45 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:25 AM

PPM

1) Have no clue why. Unless it has something to do with a treaty between the US and Holland, this one leaves me scratching my head as well.

2) Since they make such a point about 'any' criminal conviction, my assumption is that if it can be uncovered, it can be used to disqualify. It would make sense when considering that some folks go to other countries where their record is not known in order to start over--but may have a hard time doing so with the advent of easily shared computer databases like THIS ONE...or as mentioned HERE.

3) Don't know about expungement; theoretically if the record is removed no one would even know of it's existence. As far as misdemeanors--I know someone who is currently testing those waters with GOES. He had a misdemeanor (non-drug-related) conviction back in his college days that is easily brought up by database search over 30 years later.

It was his only brush with the law. He has been squeaky-clean ever since. He has applied for Global Entry, and made no attempt to evade their question(s) concerning convictions, laying his out in full. That was just prior to Thanksgiving this year, and as of yesterday (when I last checked with him) his application shows as still 'pending review'. He keeps me informed periodically, as his reasoning is that a) the conviction is both a misdemeanor and incredibly old, and b)in most State jurisdictions, the only thing anyone is concerned about is felony convictions.

Whether or not he gets Global Entry is apparently unimportant to him, as he still will travel the world in pursuit of business and pleasure--it's the test to see how rigid the system is that appears to interest him.

Just heard from my friend--and he has been denied Global Entry based on his having a "criminal conviction". Wow. Pretty harsh IMO, but he seems to be taking it in stride.

I guess that as far as CPB is concerned, no matter how minor the offense it should follow you for life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users