• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Movie Reviews

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#1 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 10 October 2004 - 09:27 AM

Last night, I saw the movie "Friday Night Lights", a movie that is based on the book of the same name and chronicles the 1988 season of the Permian High Panthers, a high school in Odessa Texas. For those of you who do not know, for years, Permian was the premier high school football program in the state of Texas with something like six state titles in their 45-year history.

The movie did not go into as much detail as the book, it stuck to the football side of the story. In the book, the author talked about how Odessa and it's sister city Midland grew during the oil boom after World War II and then nearly collapsed when the boom went bust in the 80's. The movie did not touch that. In the book, the author talked about overt racism and over-emphasis on the football program over academics, the movie just touched on that barely enough to notice it. The movie also changed a few facts that were detailed in the book.

However, the movie did touch on the fact how the success (and failure) of the local high school football team can define the mood of a small Texas city. Every move that the head coach of the football team makes is second-guessed especially in a loss. It does not matter that the second guesser does not have all the facts why or how the coach made his decision.

The football action scenes are excellent and clearly show just how hard a player can get hit. I must warn you that the scene which the team's star running back gets injured will make you cringe. There is also another scene which a Permian player coughs up blood.

Billy Bob Thornton does a bang-up job of portraying the head coach of the team. Also notable is the performance of country singer Tim McGraw is the abusive, alcoholic father of one of the players. Outside of those two, the cast is largely unknown at this time but you can expect to see more from many of them in future films.

If you have read the book, you will have go to the movie with the understanding that a lot that has been detailed in the book will either have been changed or left out. To get the facts on the 1988 season of the Permian Panthers, you will need to read the book.

Final note, the star football player who was injured (and effectively ended his football career) makes an appearance as a Permian assistant coach. While he does not have any speaking lines, he does appear in several scenes, most notable near the end of the movie. He is standing next to the actor who is portraying him.
-Mitch-

#2 Charity6262

Charity6262

Getting started

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:9

Posted 10 October 2004 - 09:58 PM

I want to go see that movie so bad considering I use to live in a city an hour away from Odessa and now live in Midland. Anything else that might be interesting for me to know before I go see it?
-Charity

#3 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 10 October 2004 - 10:22 PM

I can not think of anything else to add except to elaborate on the football hits. They are pretty graphic and pretty intense. Outside of that, the only thing I can add on is where the book and the movie differ as far as how things transpired but I will pass on that.
-Mitch-

#4 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 18 October 2004 - 10:57 AM

All,

I thought it might be fun to hear from other members reviews of movies they have seen over the last week/weekend. I'll start this off.

I went to 2 movies over the weekend. The first was "Friday Night Lights" It's a look at one season of High School football in West Texas (which is like a religion in West Texas). It had a documentary feel to it and was well acted. I would say it is one of the better sports movies to come out in a long time. I would give this a $8 our of $10.

The second movie was "Team America" All I can tell you is if you like South Park and that type of humor you will LOVE team america. They make fun of everything from the Screen Actors Guild (Which they call Film Actors Guild or F.A.G. for short) to the french, to every action move ever made. I would give this a $10 for South Park fans and $0.50 for those that can't stand South Park.

Scott

:lam:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#5 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 18 October 2004 - 11:45 AM

Both of those are on my list to see ... thanks much for the review!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#6 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 18 October 2004 - 01:39 PM

oops!

we are not allowed to say anything poopie about a certain group of people who live in a country that has a building called the eiffel tower.

but now i want to see the movie too!!

#7 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 18 October 2004 - 03:45 PM

No one said anything "poopie" about anyone, darlin'.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#8 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 18 October 2004 - 04:36 PM

we are not allowed to say anything poopie about a certain group of people who live in a country that has a building called the eiffel tower.

Nope, no poopie comments about the French. That said they do blow up a great deal of French landmarks....

Scott

:lam:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#9 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 20 October 2004 - 08:15 AM

I saw "Shark Tale" with my sister and my great-neice, and we all thought it was cute. It was flashier and more "hip-hop" than Finding Nemo, the graphics were really cool, very colorful. It has some campy humor, but it's a light funny movie that is pretty good overall. The two Rasta jellyfish were especially cute.

Laura
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#10 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 20 October 2004 - 08:45 AM

I suggest "Hero." Awesome flick... I almost saw it twice but decided I could buy the DVD with the money instead. I thought it was much better than "Crouching Tiger..." I'm no big martial arts fan but I certainly enjoyed this movie.

With only one theater screen here on the island, we have to take what we get. This one was worth even the increased price of admission.

Dr. Bill

#11 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 20 October 2004 - 12:43 PM

Saw a screening of "The Incredibles" - typical Pixar genius. The graphics are amazing, the characters are pretty fun, and while the story is a bit tired it is definitely a worthwhile "big screen" type of movie.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#12 sugarbad

sugarbad

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:60

Posted 20 October 2004 - 12:57 PM

I saw SuperSize Me on DVD this weekend.....EVERYBODY needs to see it. Funny and informative all at the same time

#13 randy54

randy54

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 20 October 2004 - 01:17 PM

My last was 2 weeks ago, Ladder54. Generally the typical firefighter hero movie, with a couple of funnies not shown in the trailers. The end has an interesting twist. Didn't feel taken for my afternoon $'s, but it doesn't need the big screen. Enjoyable.
You may not be able to smell the roses underwater, but you can sea horses.

#14 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 20 October 2004 - 01:50 PM

I saw SuperSize Me on DVD this weekend.....EVERYBODY needs to see it. Funny and informative all at the same time

I agree! This was a great (but scary :welcome: ) movie!! To think a month eatting McDonalds can do that to a person!

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,629 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 20 October 2004 - 03:39 PM

I saw SuperSize Me on DVD this weekend.....EVERYBODY needs to see it.  Funny and informative all at the same time

I agree! This was a great (but scary :wakawaka: ) movie!! To think a month eatting McDonalds can do that to a person!

Oh don't get me started....eating lots of fast food is a sure fire way to guarantee almost every ailment and disease in the book! :cool2:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users