• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DISCUSSION ONLY: FIRM DATES Galapagos Dec 1-8, 2014

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

This trip is now open for booking HERE! Hopefully you will join us on this amazing bucket list trip! :wakawaka:

Posted ImageLOCK IN DEC 1-8, 2014 FOR THE GALAPAGOS ON EXPLORER VENTURES!!! WE'LL BE DIVING THE MOST AMAZING PLACE IN THE WORLD TO DIVE.... SAVE THE DATES!!!

STAY TUNED FOR MORE DETAILS...
Posted Image

IMPORTANT TRIP UPDATE AS OF 12-9-12:

Since the deposit amount was so high (over $6k to hold this date) and I have just put out thousands of dollars for deposits for 2013 trips...I will be opening this trip up shortly after the new year for bookings. This is possible since it will be a stand alone destination. My goal will be to provide a sample itinerary as if the trip were Dec 2013 so you get a feel for the side tours that will be available and how many days to reasonably book etc. The price of the trip will be firm and the sidetours will be subject to change but I hope to have a pretty close approximation to what the full trip will be like when I open it up. I will also offer several VERY EARLY BOOKING SPECIALS for anyone who books and pays in full during the early booking timeframe.

So don't spend all your pennies on xmas... you'll need a few to hold your spot on the trip!

Here is what a trip to Galapagos aboard Explorer Ventures should look like:

PRICE FOR 2013*:
$4295 high season Jun 1 - Dec 31st
$3995 low season Jan 1 - May 31th

ESTIMATED PRICING FOR 2014*:

$4595 high season Jun 1 - Dec 31st
$4295 low season Jan 1 - May 31th

*These prices do not include fuel surcharge or local taxes and fees or domestic flights. Domestic flights from Quito are $500-$550 and from Guayaquil $475-$525. The current fuel surcharge for the Galapagos is $150 per person (payable on board), but is subject to change and will be confirmed 30 days prior to departure. National park fee of $100 and $10 tourist card are payable at the airport. Chamber support fee of $35 is payable on board.

WATER TEMPS:

Our summer is winter in Galapagos so our late Fall and Winter are the warmest months for Galapagos. (We went in late Oct on our first trip and had very warm temps on Darwin and Wolf of 78 which was very nice and usually winter temps. Islands closer to mainland were much colder around 65 degrees.)

San Cristobal Departures

If meeting the vessel in San Cristobal, a guide will meet you upon exiting the baggage claim area for transfer to the vessel.

Monday: San Cristobal
Guests fly to the Galapagos Islands from Mainland Ecuador, arriving in the islands mid-day. Guests are met at the airport and taken to the vessel.
Boarding the vessel after 1 p.m., guests will depart for a short crossing to the a calm site for a check out dive and safety briefing. After dinner the vessel will depart to the next scheduled destination.

Tuesday: Punta Carrion
6:30, 9:30, dives. Bartoleme: Possible 3:00 dive depending on weather. Sightings include rays and sea lions. Depart for Northern Islands.

Wednesday: Wolf Island - Landslide, Shark Bay, Pinaculo
6:30, 10:30 and 2:00 dives. Sightings often include hammerheads, eagle rays, Galapagos sharks, and silky sharks. Night at anchor.

Thursday: Morning - Wolf Island / Darwin Island
Wolf Island: 6:30 dive. Darwin Island: 11:00 and 2:30 dives. Sightings often include hammerheads, red-lipped batfish, sea lions, eagle rays, Galapagos sharks and silky sharks. Night at anchor.

Friday: Darwin Island
6:30, 10:30 and 2:00 dives. Sightings often include hammerheads,whale sharks (in season), eagle rays, Galapagos sharks, turtles and silky sharks.

Saturday: Wolf Island
6:30, 9:00 and 11:00 dives. Sightings often include hammerheads, whale sharks (in season), eagle rays, Galapagos sharks, turtles and silky sharks. Transit to Cousin's Rock.

Sunday: Cousin’s Rock
8:30 dive –This is a great macro diving with an excellent chance of seeing sea horses, sea lions, and eagle rays. Lunch will be served while transiting to Santa Cruz (3 hrs). In Santa Cruz, visit the giant tortoises in the highlands, visit the town of Puerto Ayora and the Darwin Centre on your own, dinner on your own in town.

Monday: Baltra/San Cristobal
Breakfast; depart the vessel by 9 am. Guests are free to visit the beach in town to see sea lions and marine iguanas in their natural habitat or take a short walk to the Interpretive Centre. Transfer back to the airport for 1 p.m. flight back to Quito or Guayaquil.

THOSE WANTING TO BE ON THE NOTIFY LIST WHEN THIS TRIP OPENS UP:

1. Kamala aka WreckWench
2. Keith aka MNJoe
3. Tim aka Buzo Guero
4. Melissa aka MelB
5. MR aka SharkaLover
6. Scot aka Handyman
7. Ed aka Diver Ed & Sister
8. Dan aka Rookie and Seastar
9. Jim aka Twin Screws
10. Larry aka Orcaman
11. Carla aka rkymtwy
12. Steve aka soonerdiver
13. Dennis aka DrDiver
14. Larry aka Lorenzo
15. Jennifer aka ItsScubaJen
16. Mike aka Going Postal
17. Mandi aka Landlocked
18. Ellen aka TCdamsel
19. Amy aka AnemoneAmy
20. Mike aka MikeNJ
21. Jose aka JesterDiver
22. Butch aka Cajun Diver
23. Suzi aka CoralReefer
24. Marc aka Muktuk
25. Fred aka ev780

Kamala,

So do you have any inclination of doing a Galapagos Trip in the few years?

Keith
aka MNJoe

Keith I am ALWAYS ready to go back to Galapagos! I :wub:/>/>/>/>/>/> it sooooooooooooo much! It was one of my top 5 trips in my life...maybe even top 3.

In my opinion the best time to go is fall when the water is warm and the whalesharks are in season. The only dates for this timeframe are for 2014 so that is the earliest we could go in my preferred timeframe. Help me get some more people interested in this or any other place and we'll get it on the calendar! :cool1:/>/>/>/>/>/>

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

Kamala,

Keith
aka MNJoe

Keith I am ALWAYS ready to go back to Galapagos! I :wub: it sooooooooooooo much! It was one of my top 5 trips in my life...maybe even top 3.

In my opinion the best time to go is fall when the water is warm and the whalesharks are in season. The only dates for this timeframe are for 2014 so that is the earliest we could go in my preferred timeframe. Help me get some more people interested in this or any other place and we'll get it on the calendar! :cool1:

I know that this is a trip that has to be planned out way ahead of time, that is okay, because I would need that much lead time to afford it. It is definitely a trip I would like to do within the next few years.

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#3 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

I am very interested in the Galapagos. Not knowing how long I will be capable of doing that kind of trip and that kind of diving, I would prefer to do the trip sooner than later.

Kamala,

Keith
aka MNJoe

Keith I am ALWAYS ready to go back to Galapagos! I :wub: it sooooooooooooo much! It was one of my top 5 trips in my life...maybe even top 3.

In my opinion the best time to go is fall when the water is warm and the whalesharks are in season. The only dates for this timeframe are for 2014 so that is the earliest we could go in my preferred timeframe. Help me get some more people interested in this or any other place and we'll get it on the calendar! :cool1:

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

Ed the best dates for 2013 are gone and the only good options are in 2014. I can start to look for then if we think we have enough interest....

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#5 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

I realize that 2013 is not an option, unless you took a week that no one else wanted. I would expect that the prime 2014 weeks are already disappearing, and that 2015 might be more realistic for prime week availability. I am planning on Truk again, as my next big trip, and would love to do the Galapagos as my major trip after Truk. I do not know if fitting both of those trips into the same year would work, but I would try. When I said sooner rather than later, I am referring to the next several years. I hope I can still travel like that in ten years, but who knows. That is why I want to do more larger trips at this point in my life.

Ed the best dates for 2013 are gone and the only good options are in 2014. I can start to look for then if we think we have enough interest....

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

Here is what a trip to Galapagos aboard Explorer Ventures would look like:

PRICE FOR 2013*:
$4295 high season Jun 1 - Dec 31st
$3995 low season Jan 1 - May 31th

ESTIMATED PRICING FOR 2014*:

$4595 high season Jun 1 - Dec 31st
$4295 low season Jan 1 - May 31th

*These prices do not include fuel surcharge or local taxes and fees or domestic flights. Domestic flights from Quito are $500-$550 and from Guayaquil $475-$525. The current fuel surcharge for the Galapagos is $150 per person (payable on board), but is subject to change and will be confirmed 30 days prior to departure. National park fee of $100 and $10 tourist card are payable at the airport. Chamber support fee of $35 is payable on board.

WATER TEMPS:

Our summer is winter in Galapagos so our late Fall and Winter are the warmest months for Galapagos. (We went in late Oct on our first trip and had very warm temps on Darwin and Wolf of 78 which was very nice and usually winter temps. Islands closer to mainland were much colder around 65 degrees.)

AVAILABILITY FOR 2014 AS OF NOV 10th, 2012:

Sept 1-8, 2014 - this should still be fairly chilly, is in high season but includes the holiday. Air is still high during this time but drops in October.

Oct 13, 2014 to end of year - This is better timing and weather but still high season pricing. Air is dropping at this time.

Dec 1-8 SUGGESTED DATE BY THE BOAT (still high season but airfare is low now, the water is warmer and diving is good.)

San Cristobal Departures

If meeting the vessel in San Cristobal, a guide will meet you upon exiting the baggage claim area for transfer to the vessel.

Monday: San Cristobal
Guests fly to the Galapagos Islands from Mainland Ecuador, arriving in the islands mid-day. Guests are met at the airport and taken to the vessel.
Boarding the vessel after 1 p.m., guests will depart for a short crossing to the a calm site for a check out dive and safety briefing. After dinner the vessel will depart to the next scheduled destination.

Tuesday: Punta Carrion
6:30, 9:30, dives. Bartoleme: Possible 3:00 dive depending on weather. Sightings include rays and sea lions. Depart for Northern Islands.

Wednesday: Wolf Island - Landslide, Shark Bay, Pinaculo
6:30, 10:30 and 2:00 dives. Sightings often include hammerheads, eagle rays, Galapagos sharks, and silky sharks. Night at anchor.

Thursday: Morning - Wolf Island / Darwin Island
Wolf Island: 6:30 dive. Darwin Island: 11:00 and 2:30 dives. Sightings often include hammerheads, red-lipped batfish, sea lions, eagle rays, Galapagos sharks and silky sharks. Night at anchor.

Friday: Darwin Island
6:30, 10:30 and 2:00 dives. Sightings often include hammerheads,whale sharks (in season), eagle rays, Galapagos sharks, turtles and silky sharks.

Saturday: Wolf Island
6:30, 9:00 and 11:00 dives. Sightings often include hammerheads, whale sharks (in season), eagle rays, Galapagos sharks, turtles and silky sharks. Transit to Cousin's Rock.

Sunday: Cousin’s Rock
8:30 dive –This is a great macro diving with an excellent chance of seeing sea horses, sea lions, and eagle rays. Lunch will be served while transiting to Santa Cruz (3 hrs). In Santa Cruz, visit the giant tortoises in the highlands, visit the town of Puerto Ayora and the Darwin Centre on your own, dinner on your own in town.

Monday: Baltra/San Cristobal
Breakfast; depart the vessel by 9 am. Guests are free to visit the beach in town to see sea lions and marine iguanas in their natural habitat or take a short walk to the Interpretive Centre. Transfer back to the airport for 1 p.m. flight back to Quito or Guayaquil.

formerly...

#7 Twin Screws

Twin Screws

Getting started

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Location:Been to Hawaii 2002-05, Guam 05-07; Bahrain 07-09, Virginia Beach 09-Present
  • Board Status:Nothing new
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:120

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

Kamala,

I saw your note about a Fall 2014 trip to Galapagos... I'm interested.

Jim
Virginia Beach, VA

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:27 AM

Hey Jim...that is great news! Any date preferences? Or can you do anything in the fall/early winter timeframe???

formerly...

#9 orcaman

orcaman

SD Videographer

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Cert Level:YMCA, 3500+ dives, Bahamas, Caribean, Red Sea, Australia, Truk, more
  • Logged Dives:Gave up on logs, started e and never finished onediving for 28 years, approx. 200 per year currently

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:32 AM

Hi, on my list also, so probably interested, see how my health is that far out,
Larry
Larry T, the Orcaman!

It is not the pain of being in the storm, it is the joy of dancing in the rain!!!!!

Oh I Lobster, but I never Flounder!! Well I guess I did Flounder on the 2007 New Year's trip, but I have SURVIVED!!!

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:42 AM

Yeah I hear ya...cool!

formerly...

#11 rkymtwy

rkymtwy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

Put me on the interested list. It would depend on a lot of factors but I hope to do this trip someday.

#12 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

So if I am reading this correctly, a high season trip is going to be approx $5,400+travel expenses to get there and back (I'm assuming you probably have an overnight in Quito?). Flights to Quito seem to run about $1,000.

So I think we are at $6,500 approx? What other expenses? How about Dive tips?

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

So if I am reading this correctly, a high season trip is going to be approx $5,400+travel expenses to get there and back (I'm assuming you probably have an overnight in Quito?). Flights to Quito seem to run about $1,000.

So I think we are at $6,500 approx? What other expenses? How about Dive tips?

Yes your math is pretty correct. Assume about $200-300 in tips, and one overnight in Quito if routing via Quito and possibly a night on the return averaging $90-120 a night s/o.

The expenses are:

Trip
Local Flight
Int'l Flight
Hotel 1 night (possibly 2)
Tips
Park fees and misc fees
Fuel surchg
and Sightseeing around the area if interested...

NOT A CHEAP TRIP but AMAZING if all goes well. One reason I need to go back is because I did not have a camera so all the awesome WALLS OF HAMMERHEADS AND SPOTTED EAGLE RAYS AND GOLDEN EAGLE RAYS etc are only in my head... :(

But I've NEVER seen so much diversity and QUANTITY of marine life as I have in Galapagos. :teeth:

formerly...

#14 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:48 AM

I knew it would be a wait, but it is a must on my bucket list. That is why I brought it up. It is far enough out that I should be able to make any date work, although I would like to stay away from the first week of Sept as I have an annual trip I do over Labor Day.

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

I knew it would be a wait, but it is a must on my bucket list. That is why I brought it up. It is far enough out that I should be able to make any date work, although I would like to stay away from the first week of Sept as I have an annual trip I do over Labor Day.

Given that Sept is quite cold and Galapagos is already cold to begin with...we'll find someplace else to go over Labor Day. Thanks for the feedback though!

AND START SAVING NOW!!!! ;)

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users